Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 25 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 24 25
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jim -- I think you have a few extra cartridge cases-- Get yourself a .308 if you don't already own one-- reload a few and hunt with them--- The Luck be with you for a nice buck-- Who else in the World could claim something like that. Web

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell of an idea! Something to supplement your smokepoles. Great story.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wow, just an unbelievable post,
thanks to the both of you and to all that have served.
wish i had seen it earlier.

=========================================================
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of the best threads I have seen here at the "fire"!!

Thanks to both of you and all who served!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We will never be able to repay you for what you all did,for now a heartfelt Thank You.

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
One thing I want to make sure the guys here kow is that the Battle for Hill 474 lasted for 20 days and cost us pretty hard. At that time the 3/506th had 550+ line Grunts and the battle killed or wounded over 100. The 8th and 9th battalions of the NVA 22d Regiment were annihilated.The 7th (so I wuz told) got hit by an Arc Light and evaporated in the An Lao Valley. About 10 days after the incident that Woody attended, my entire company was surrounded for a day,a night and a day. This time however we not only expected it,we were ready for it. That one cost the NVA dearly while we got away with only a few minor wounds. I really wanted for guys here to get a birdseye of just how intense and savage a brawl these hill battles were and just how stone hard US Soldiers really were in the face of an enemy that was of such very high quality as fighting men. With the Regiment we faced,it was a no quarter given,no quarter asked affair. Wrap your minds around that. Absolutely nothing the outside world thought,said or believed made any difference to us. It was just us and the NVA. Grunt against Grunt. To this day, if any Man from the 3/506th at the battle showed at my door, he has a meal and a bed to slepp in. TO THIS DAY,IF AN NVA SURVIVOR of the battle showde at my door,HE WOULD GET THE VERY SAME TREATMENT!!! Do you guys understand that???

I certainly do understand it, sure couldn't have said it as well as you though.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who am I to contradict your Mrs. >grin<

Somebody already stole my idea of reloadin' a few of those for a .308, and takin' 'em on a hunt. Can't think of better way to polish the memories of those cases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
Who am I to contradict your Mrs. >grin<

Mine[other half] doesn't comprehend the significance of a few old shell cases,guess it's because she's heard the war stories too many times.I have a few cases left but would give up a gun before these that's how much they mean to me especially since Jim and I were at the same place and time in a land far away!! That night will always remain branded in my memory banks forever.... W

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Woody and Jim, you two are some of the great ones. Anytime, you show up in Colorado, I have an open spot at my table. We will not forget! Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Awesome thread ET.

Congrats to you and Flyboy, and many thanks.

RIP Speedy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I figured the pics of the engraved 7.62 case belonged on this, the original thread. I assure you that the jeweler never had someone walk in the door and ask for a cartridge case to be engraved. I explained the signifigance to him and he said he'd do a good job for me (he did!) and charged me 30 bucks for the job. He sure as hell did me and Woody a favor. My wife thinks I'm crazy (nothing new here). Thanks to all of you fellas for the kind words. A Relic of Wars past!
[Linked Image]

That's a great memento for you and Woody, Jim! Well done.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very classy touch Jim.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great stuff, Jim. Truly. You have reason to be proud........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never heard a story like that before. Amazing! EvilTwin - thanks for the share!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just found this thread and I must say it is one powerful thread. Anyone that reads this thread and does not feel something (emotion) is dead inside. I must say nothing could make me feel any prouder to be an American, knowing what valor and guts you guys have, Woody and Jim. Not only you two, but all the veterans that served and fought for our freedom. Even those of you that never saw combat, you either volunteered to serve or were drafted years ago. Most of you have never got the recognition that you deserve. Yet there are the ones here on the fire that truly appreciate you and would have fought proudly in the ditch right beside of you.

I never served, but had family that fought in wars. Granddad (mother�s dad) in World War I, his sons fought in World War II and the Korean War. Two of them were wounded in battle and was lucky enough to make it back home. I have cousins that fought in Nam and they were lucky enough to make it back. Although they never talked about the war much, it is truly amazing to hear what they had to endure while in combat. They were always a hero to me and still are after the are buried in the ground.

Once again, Thanks ALL VETERANS for your service.

NEVER GIVE UP
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never seen this thread when it was posted; but just read it in its entirety. To just say "Thanks" after all thet has been posted by my 24hr brothers seems trivial; but I'll say it anyway: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE from the bottom of my heart. Absolutely the best post I have ever read.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wow,I just read this whole thread!So many stories like this remain untold that its great to hear this one.Thank both of you for your service,and thanks for sharing this story.I'm also hoisting one in honor of your courage. Lightman

lightman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figured the pics of the engraved 7.62 case belonged on this, the original thread. I assure you that the jeweler never had someone walk in the door and ask for a cartridge case to be engraved. I explained the signifigance to him and he said he'd do a good job for me (he did!) and charged me 30 bucks for the job. He sure as hell did me and Woody a favor. My wife thinks I'm crazy (nothing new here). Thanks to all of you fellas for the kind words. A Relic of Wars past!
[Linked Image]

This thread has almost come full circle but yet it continues..today I received my engraved case in the mail from EvilTwin.The reality of our paths crossing so many years ago hasn't really sunk in until this afternoon while holding this piece of our history. Lost for words at the present is an understatement..this case goes with me from here on out as a reminder of a true American hero I'm proud to call friend,thanks Jim !!

The inscription reads:

TO SGT WOODY FLEMING
SPOOKY
FROM SPC JIM MARTIN
C 3/506
HILL 474
27 JANUARY 1970

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And it came wrapped in this! Yes I like jorge and few others have fallen victim to the "Dark Side" grin Thanks buddy.

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was wondering if you were gonna post! grin

I can't wait til October now!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep now all we gotta do is kill a couple speed goats with those 7.62 cases..should be powerful juju if we can get it done!

Woody
Page 13 of 25 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,510
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.