Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Threads like this are why I like this site. Thank you guys for your service and welcome home (better late than never). I will raise a glass of Crown Royal to you after work tonight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am just finding this thread Saturday morning. Wow. First thank you so much for your sacrifice and service. Secondly thank you so much for sharing this awesome story. Things like this are what make the campfire great!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to BOTH of you for your service!

Am very glad you guys made it back and can be here to tell your heart felt story!

Am reading this in the A.M. but will hoist one to you guys tonight! (maybe 2 or 3!)

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story both of you. Hand salute from a guy who never made it out of CONUS and was out just before Viet Nam got hot.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
EvilTwin.....this is YOUR Gonzales.....maybe you only knew him as "Speedy".....
from the Vietnam War Memorial website.

Oscar Cruz Gonzales was born October 31, 1948 and his home of record was Elsa, Texas. He had attended Edcouch-Elsa High School. In Vietnam, he served with the 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Divsion (Screaming Eagles). He was killed in the Battle of Hill 474 on January 25, 1970. He had been in Vietnam two months and was 21 years old at the time of his death. He was survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Jorge G. Gonzalez his sisters: Olga, Felcipas, Olivia, Rita and Elizabeth and brothers: Jorge, Luis, Benigno and Victor. A funeral mass was said at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Elsa and he was buried in Highland Memorial Park in Weslaco, Texas. God rest your soul, Currahee. If any of his family and friends come to this site, please contact me. Thank You.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what a great thread. its an honor to share the Fire with these guys.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, thats awesome, glad fer the folks like Woody that helped ya out, zoomies are good for something. Very COOL!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just the real word my friend, just the real world.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
EvilTwin.....this is YOUR Gonzales.....maybe you only knew him as "Speedy".....
from the Vietnam War Memorial website.

Oscar Cruz Gonzales was born October 31, 1948 and his home of record was Elsa, Texas. He had attended Edcouch-Elsa High School. In Vietnam, he served with the 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Divsion (Screaming Eagles). He was killed in the Battle of Hill 474 on January 25, 1970. He had been in Vietnam two months and was 21 years old at the time of his death. He was survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Jorge G. Gonzalez his sisters: Olga, Felcipas, Olivia, Rita and Elizabeth and brothers: Jorge, Luis, Benigno and Victor. A funeral mass was said at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Elsa and he was buried in Highland Memorial Park in Weslaco, Texas. God rest your soul, Currahee. If any of his family and friends come to this site, please contact me. Thank You.

Yeah, it is Speedy. But we were in Binh Dinh Province not Quang Nai and THAT is what threw me.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 03/05/11.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
A GREAT story, thanks to Both for serveing! God Bless the USA.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
on a hill in Binh Dinh Province,RSVN, there was a battle. My platoon was on Hill 474 and heavily engaged with the NVA 22nd Regiment. They were all over the hill in a cave netwirk. One of our guys was KIA and we were VERY low on ammunition. A Shadow gunship came on station and fired in support of us. First burst came within 10' of our perimeter. A rather unorthodox method of warning off the guns was employed until radio contact was established. The gatlings fired and fired and fired thus anchoring our flank which the NVA was attempting to maneuver on. We survived the night and the fight. The gunner on that Shadow was our own FlyBoyFlem. Today these arrived
[Linked Image]

Cases fired from the Gatlings on that night. After 41 years, I have had that battle brought back alive and I am holding it in my hand. Woody's guns saved an American Platoon surrounded by an NVA Regiment that nite. I can't express how having these cases in my hand makes me feel. Thanks for saving our asses that night Woody!!! smile

Agreed, one of the best post ever. Thank you for all you have done Sir

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Read some of this to my wife last night... especially the firefight, the background, and the unorthodox method of calling off fire.

ET, she says she owes you another hug. And, thanks for the laugh.

Woody, she says "thank you".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread continues to be incredibly inspiring, I hope it keeps going for a while and maybe illicit some more combat stories from our members.

I will point out one thing that whilst not surprising, it is still telling nevertheless; The absence of comments from the usual suspects that fail to realize it was (and is) men like these that meake them free. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents--that was an awesome read--hat off to ya.

Defend the Constitution
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It definately is inspiring ... even to we Canadians who also benefit from the sacrifice of men like ET, FBF and 'SPEEDY' as well as all you vets here on the 'fire.
Thank you all for your service.

My experience at that time in history was much different as I was going to university in Alberta listening to draft-dodging liberal American profs spouting their vitriol against the US poisoning a generation of our youth by their ranting and railing. It was disgusting. Glad I was old enough to not be sucked in by their brainwashing.

Dave
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let's drink to the stout hearted men,
Let's drink to the salt of the earth....

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by highwayman
It definately is inspiring ... even to we Canadians who also benefit from the sacrifice of men like ET, FBF and 'SPEEDY' as well as all you vets here on the 'fire.
Thank you all for your service.

My experience at that time in history was much different as I was going to university in Alberta listening to draft-dodging liberal American profs spouting their vitriol against the US poisoning a generation of our youth by their ranting and railing. It was disgusting. Glad I was old enough to not be sucked in by their brainwashing.

Hell, sounds like BCBrian now... not much has changed, I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fantastic post.

Welcome home brothers.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ET and FBF, great story of valor, tragedy and humor. Much thanks to you both for your service to your country. I was in college at the time with 1-A draft status and draft number 283. If called I would have went. Those were turbulent times in the country for sure.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the head stamp on the 7.62? If TW, it was made at the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant. I know they made a lot of ammo for the Vietnam War.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know of any words that could make this post better!

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.