Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all of the relevent information.

I am deciding whether to have a rifle built specifically for a long shot or to buy something like the HS Precision 200LA or Savage Law Enforcement in 338 Lapua. At any rate it seems that a high B.C. 338 at a muzzle speed of at least 2,900 FPS is a minimum.

I am well aware that at this range results will come from luck, but that appropriate equipment and some level of skill is needed to get you to the "luck" position. After several years of shooting on the plains East of Roundup, MT, I have come to know that wind is the big operator at distance.

And that reading it isn't easy or, in fact, very do-able. Being able to see mirage patterns is very important as is getting shots off quickly. And you must be able to spot your misses or have your misses called for you in a way that you can relate to your hold.

Thank you to all who have posted.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd consider a l/a 700 build with a Karl 40X solid bottom,in a solid A5(would prolly add lead shot too) and twisted/throated on the money,less fret of mag constraints.

I'd be in Ultra Mode................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Had a rifle put together for a buddy's son when he graduated high school, and was headed to one of the state military academies, and also enrolled in the National Guard..

He is located in Billings.. and as a kid, he wanted something with some history to it... and to be able to shoot mega long distance...

So picked up an Enfield action, custom stocked it, put a heavy magnum Pac Nor stainless barrel on it, 28 inches in length...
one in 7 twist, chambered in 6mm Rem...

he joined the 1000 yd club within his first week afield with it..
115 grain Bergers, 46 grains of RL 19, 3250 fps..

he replaced the original Tasco 8 x 32 scope his dad put on it, with a Night Force that he saved up for, while on his second tour in Iraq...

the Berger and the DTAC 115s, are pretty darn good at doping the wind evidenlty...

lot less recoil that the 338 Rounds...aids in seeing what he is shooting at..

3 tours to Iraq and one to Afghanistan is the only reason he hasn't worn out several barrels on it according to him....

He sure loves that Night Force scope on it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Been working out some things for this year's long shot efforts in Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota, all of which are a long way from my home in Southern California.

Poster 406 - I have two excellent 'smiths. I listen to them. One of them mostly does accurizing for long shots and custom builds for very long shots and I have comissioned a long shot rifle from him - on a no hurry basis, that will incorporate his experiences. The other 'smith is also my guide in Montana and is very supportive and sez "just bring what you have or wind up with and we'll work up some loads and have some fun." Among us we have Leica Geovids and Swarovski 80 mm and Pentax 100ED spotters. Really big eyes would be nice...and help eliminate squint eye...

We'll shoot some steel, too.

And I can read and have a most excellent highly tested working well B.S. filter.

As Pete sez - a back stop is a back stop. I have been shooting for more than 60 years and am very aware of the need for a back stop. Sorry, Seafire that you have had a zinger. So have I - but that was hunting deer in Oklahoma, never in Montana, Idaho, or South Dakota on the plains.

I appreciate all who have spoken from their personal experience. A couple have offered PM and I am grateful for that gesture - which I will take advantage of. I have a bit of my own experience, too, and of course operate from my own pocket.
Guns, ammo, and optics are bad enough but consider 3,000 mile round trips to shoot and the rising price of gasoline.

One poster asked what my decision (s) is/are. This year I will make some 1,000 yard shot attempts with an accurized Savage slow twist 223. I will also shoot my custom Savage-based 6.5-284 at some 1,500 + yard p-dogs. And I will shoot my Savage 110BA 338 Lapua just to get a feel for it - and for which of my 'scopes are most approprite for the kind of holdover that ballistic programs say is required for 2,000 yards with this cartridge using the 3000 SMK - something like 70+ MOA.

I reckon that will keep me busy. And if all fails, there is the 416 Barrett Model 99 - I cannot own a 50 BMG in California, thanks to the Richard Edward "Governator." (Just use the short familiar form of Richard Edward to see what I am really saying).

What Stick suggested is interesting and is worth pursuing, in my opinion. And I have learned of the Long Range credential of a couple of posters - XPHunter's very real accomplishments come to mind.

Thanks

-30-

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
O
O
Hello I new member

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Hello i ingwe..

WTF....

Last edited by ingwe; 02/28/11.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey,

Me no u!

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Me no u 2!!!

You de guy in dis pic....!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hE naMeD tOm.177

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
hehehehe!

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Me no u 2!!!

You de guy in dis pic....!

[Linked Image]

All well and good.... but the disturbing fact is, that's a woman...

Kent

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I didn't know John Moses was a woman.... shocked

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RogerCox
Last summer I finally made the VHA 1,000 yard Downrange Club with a 1,153 p-dog. Took a couple of years and considerable expense to finally get the right equipment - and luck. I have hit p-dogs at that distance and they usually crawl off...which doesn't count. But a spine shot stopped this one.

So - maybe I have been bitten by the way out there bug. I have a great guide in Montana - Scott Carpenter, who goes the extra distance to put me on p-dogs - even marks the range where 1,000 yards start from the bench he straps down.

So here is what I am here to ask: What caliber (s) are being successfully used at 1,500 - 2,000 yards? In talking with others I continually hear "338 Lapua Magnum" and I can do that. But are there other calibers that I should consider? This will be a purpose built rifle, put together by a gunsmith that specializes in long shot rifles. His suggestion is the Lapua.

The rifle I used for the 1,153 yard shot is a custom Savage 6.5-284. The 142 SMK load I use drops ~240 inches at 1,000 yards and even with a 20 MOA rail I don't think has enough smack to work at the longer distance.

Any experience that might be shared will be appreciated.

The 338 Edage or the 338 Lapua are excellent choices when coupled with the 300 SMK or Berger for 2000 yards.
A purpose built 300 RUM with a 9 twist setup for the 240 grain SMK would also be a consideration IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RogerCox
Thanks for all of the relevent information.

I am deciding whether to have a rifle built specifically for a long shot or to buy something like the HS Precision 200LA or Savage Law Enforcement in 338 Lapua. At any rate it seems that a high B.C. 338 at a muzzle speed of at least 2,900 FPS is a minimum.

I am well aware that at this range results will come from luck, but that appropriate equipment and some level of skill is needed to get you to the "luck" position. After several years of shooting on the plains East of Roundup, MT, I have come to know that wind is the big operator at distance.

And that reading it isn't easy or, in fact, very do-able. Being able to see mirage patterns is very important as is getting shots off quickly. And you must be able to spot your misses or have your misses called for you in a way that you can relate to your hold.

Thank you to all who have posted.

You will really have to lean on a 338 Lapua to get 2900 FPS with a 300 SMK, 2800, maybe 2850 is more realistic in my experience and that is with a 30" barrel
2800 FPS will get you too 2000 yards and stay super sonic at sea level and farther at higher elevation

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.