Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
...... Elk rifles and cartridges really are that overscrutinized here in the east.

And if you think they overscrutinize the elk rifles....you should see what they carry to Central Canada for those HUGE whitetails.......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have seen Elk hit 5 times with the 30-40 Krag with factory ammo/the 30-06 and 130 grain reloads/the 357 Magnum(pistol) and the 7MM Remington Mag....

They all died but not in the way we would like to see.......

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guided a guy on a cow elk hunt last year. He couldn't find any elk and called me for help. He was shooting a .30-06 with 150 grain XMR bullets. This is a fabulous combination in my book. He was REALLY concerned that the .30-06 bullets would bounce off, since he had "read" everything on the internet about elk hunting. This was his first elk rifle experience.

He had a .300 Win Mag, but he couldn't hit anything with it. He said it had a bad barrel, but he flinches worse than anyone I have ever seen n(150 lbs. soaking wet). I took him up the next morning and had him on elk in a matter of minutes. We spent the next hour trying to catch up to the small herd and get him within 300 yards. I had my 7 year old son with us and were were in a blinding snow storm. The elk busted us at 335 yards. He kept saying, "They are too far for this gun. I sure wish I had something more powerful." I told him to sit down, hold the cross hairs 3/4" of the way up the shoulder and touch one off." The shot rang out, the big cow hunched up and started crow hopping. The shot was centered in the front shoulder. The cow hopped a few steps, tipped over and slid down the mountain in the snow. Upon recovery, the bullet exited the off side shoulder and there was blood everywhere.

He promptly went out and bought a .300 WSM, because he felt so undergunned with the .30-06. Everyone he talked to but me, told him he got "lucky" and should never hunt with a marginal round like the .30-06. This is so typical. I have asked him over and over again what the .300 would have done different than the .30-06? His reply, "It would have killed it quicker and it shoots flatter." His maximum range is 350 yards. Go figure. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's a pretty typical notion: A cartridge that kicks harder will kill quicker.

I've killed 6-point bulls with .300 Winchester and .300 Weatherby Magnums. They worked fine, but the 6-point that went the least distance before falling was shot with a .30-06.
That's with typical heart/lung shots. Did shoot a 6x7 with a .300 WSM and he went right down--from a spine shot at the top of the shoulders. So the .300 WSM must be elk magic!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Flinch

He promptly went out and bought a .300 WSM, because he felt so undergunned with the .30-06. Everyone he talked to but me, told him he got "lucky" and should never hunt with a marginal round like the .30-06. This is so typical. I have asked him over and over again what the .300 would have done different than the .30-06? His reply, "It would have killed it quicker and it shoots flatter." His maximum range is 350 yards. Go figure. Flinch

Flinch: Good post........Someday, aliens will land here.....read this stuff and study this logic,and understand fully why we failed to survive as a species....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...... Elk rifles and cartridges really are that overscrutinized here in the east.

And if you think they overscrutinize the elk rifles....you should see what they carry to Central Canada for those HUGE whitetails.......

LOL, ain't that the truth! grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The first time I hunted deer in Alberta the rifles of the other guys in camp were all 7mm and .300 magnums, including a .300 Jarrett. I took a .280 Remington and would have won the award for "wimp rifle," if there'd been one.

My guide used a .25-06 for his deer hunting, and asked me about the .300 Jarrett. I explained what it was, and he said:
"What's he think we're hunting, elephants?"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Fortified by copious amounts of dark French roast, I will make the following comparison.
A first time elk hunter in North America displays the same lack of sphincter control as the first time Cape Buffalo hunter in Africa. They've read too many wild stories, had nightmares over caliber decisions and end up over gunning themselves. whistle

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/07/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Flinch
I guided a guy on a cow elk hunt last year. He couldn't find any elk and called me for help. He was shooting a .30-06 with 150 grain XMR bullets. This is a fabulous combination in my book. He was REALLY concerned that the .30-06 bullets would bounce off, since he had "read" everything on the internet about elk hunting. This was his first elk rifle experience.

He had a .300 Win Mag, but he couldn't hit anything with it. He said it had a bad barrel, but he flinches worse than anyone I have ever seen n(150 lbs. soaking wet). I took him up the next morning and had him on elk in a matter of minutes. We spent the next hour trying to catch up to the small herd and get him within 300 yards. I had my 7 year old son with us and were were in a blinding snow storm. The elk busted us at 335 yards. He kept saying, "They are too far for this gun. I sure wish I had something more powerful." I told him to sit down, hold the cross hairs 3/4" of the way up the shoulder and touch one off." The shot rang out, the big cow hunched up and started crow hopping. The shot was centered in the front shoulder. The cow hopped a few steps, tipped over and slid down the mountain in the snow. Upon recovery, the bullet exited the off side shoulder and there was blood everywhere.

Great story flinch. Thanks for sharing. That character sounds just like one of my friends. Doesn't matter how many times you tell them something they have their mind made up and that is it. One of my friends tells me he hates the 30-06 because his .270 kills them faster, go figure I guess smile

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's a pretty typical notion: A cartridge that kicks harder will kill quicker.

I've killed 6-point bulls with .300 Winchester and .300 Weatherby Magnums. They worked fine, but the 6-point that went the least distance before falling was shot with a .30-06.
That's with typical heart/lung shots. Did shoot a 6x7 with a .300 WSM and he went right down--from a spine shot at the top of the shoulders. So the .300 WSM must be elk magic!

Have to believe a 270 with 130 NP or 150 NP would have done the same thing with a spine shot...as would the old 30'06...with 165s or 200s... grin

Last edited by ou76; 03/07/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Yep I seldom see the 270 or 30-06 in Candian Whitetail camps...mostly 300-378 Wbys...338s and etc...kind of funny ain't it...the fellas who go home with their buck are using 270, 30-06 or 7 mags at the top end... smile

Last edited by ou76; 03/07/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The first time I hunted deer in Alberta the rifles of the other guys in camp were all 7mm and .300 magnums, including a .300 Jarrett. I took a .280 Remington and would have won the award for "wimp rifle," if there'd been one.

My guide used a .25-06 for his deer hunting, and asked me about the .300 Jarrett. I explained what it was, and he said:
"What's he think we're hunting, elephants?"

The .280 would win the "elephant rifle" award among the guys I hunt deer with wink If I'm strictly hunting WT, it's .25-06 for me. The .280 or 7Mag only come out if I'm in a zone where I could run into elk or WT at any given time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ou76
[quote=BobinNH][quote=moosemike]

Yep I seldom see the 270 or 30-06 in Candian Whitetail camps...mostly 300-378 Wbys...338s and etc...kind of funny ain't it...the fellas who go home with their buck are using 270, 30-06 or 7 mags at the top end... smile

OU: That is the truth! Very peculiar but among the guys that travel there to hunt,I have seen few 270's and 30/06's.....mostly the latest iteration of some OOber-Mag.....but really the 300 Win and 7RM are well represented.....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ok aw hec new thread

I' glad I could add so much enjoyment to this forum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dennis - Welcome!

Have we misunderstood, misinterpreted, or just missed the point of your blog post?

Don't worry, there are people on this site who believe one shouldn't go after elk with anything smaller than a .300 magnum (they say .338 is even better), so if you are in the Elmer Keith camp, you have company here. Just interested in finding out how we should have read the blog post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DennisACarroll
I' glad I could add so much enjoyment to this forum.

Please feel free to give your side of the story. Was it humor that we missed? Was it fact and if so why do you think that Elk soaked up so much lead before expiring?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have killed elk with a .264 Winnie, .30-'06, .300 Win. Mag., .300 Weatherby, .338 Win. Mag., and a .375 Ultra. Didn't notice that any of them died any quicker or where any "deader" no matter what the caliber.

All animals need blood and oxygen to survive. Interrupt the flow, and down they go.

To each their own, but to own one of each is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The funniest story in this vein was about 15 years back, one of my farm hands came in, asking if he could use the "farm gun" to go hunting. It was, IIRC, a Mosberg 12 ga. Kid fresh out of college, trying to get his meat for the winter. Sure, kid, go ahead.

So, the kid buys a box of slugs, drives to the trail head morning of opening day, and finds himself going up the trail behind a group on horseback, outfitted to pack in for a bunch of miles and a bunch of days.

15 minutes later, the kid shoots a 5 point, almost in self defense, as it came running down the trail, spooked by the horse-back group. One 12 ga. slug in the chest (facing shot) and the kid was home by 2 pm.

Of course, no one told him a 30-06 didn't shoot flat enough.... LOL! Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Why don't you call BS over on Montana Elk Hunting? I don't see the point here ...

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 16,294 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,158
Posts18,542,764
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.