Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i've been studying how to make chainmaille just as a hobby, I'm wondering if riveted chainmaille with thick rings could provide decent defense in a fight with a cougar or wolf or small bear... I think there teeth and claws would break on the steel? just something to think about. Even if a brown bear got you down the steel would atleast prevent him from ripping you apart.. althought it would leave nasty bruises, i'd rather have bruises then deep cuts.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd rather be able to maneuver and shoot or run away which I doubt I could if I was wearing a steel suit.

The original international turd
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by maarty
I'd rather be able to maneuver and shoot or run away which I doubt I could if I was wearing a steel suit.

Maarty,

Click on the guys profile and look at some of his other posts...

Somewhere, a village has lost its idiot!

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E

Maarty,

Click on the guys profile and look at some of his other posts...

Somewhere, a village has lost its idiot!

Regards,

Peter

Pete, I have a slightly different point of view. I see it as the campfire gaining one lol

The original international turd
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're making shark suits out of it. If it'll stop a shark's teeth, it should handle a cat.

I don't know if this suit is made to protect from a shark or to wrap a shark. It (the suit) costs $23,000. The model is extra.
[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I presonally think a Cougar wearing Chain Maille would be alot more interesting.....See sample above....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to agree. Put the suit on the cougar, feed it and see if it keeps coming back for more. I'm considering baiting options. Any ideas? I'm thinking a few $100 bills on the back step would keep it coming around. Maybe a new pair of stilettos each week? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Polska
i've been studying how to make chainmaille just as a hobby, I'm wondering if riveted chainmaille with thick rings could provide decent defense in a fight with a cougar or wolf or small bear... I think there teeth and claws would break on the steel? just something to think about. Even if a brown bear got you down the steel would atleast prevent him from ripping you apart.. althought it would leave nasty bruises, i'd rather have bruises then deep cuts.

A Brit flying home from a Viking's Festival in Iceland once told me his chain suit weighed 40 lbs.

-R44

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

This is a project worthy of your time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

with the large bears it aint just bruises, still gonna break bones and can still rip your arm off.....unreal the amount of damage that can be done even without teeth breaking skin...have heard the bite force of a large griz is 1800psi.....chain mail will not cushion you from that......

Last edited by rattler; 03/10/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen horse trailers and campers where bears have ripped doors off hinges etc. Chain mail isn't going to slow them down any, just you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The mental images of this are just getting better and better.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I'm not worried about weight, they don't even weigh that much, and if you make your own you can make as heavy or light as you want... I would make it light duty to protect say from a looter or thug with a pocket knife or a wolve or cougars teeth and claws. Or even a stray dog.

I know for a bear your done... this would be for LIGHT armor... protection from stray dogs or looters or thugs with knives or slashing weapons...

this is just a hobby, I don't plan on wearing this to work every day or to test it out against a grizzly... I think it would work good against a cougar or cougar sized animal with teeh and/or claws. Chainmaille is surprisingly easy to make too, and cheap.

I'm not worried about weight I weigh 305 pounds and i'm a powerlifter so I have a lot of muscle on me... however even for me I would not want to hike 5 miles with one on. This would only be a [bleep] hit the fan shirt if there was ever anarchy in this country and I needed some basic crude body armor against man or beast

Last edited by Polska; 03/10/11.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rattler

with the large bears it aint just bruises, still gonna break bones and can still rip your arm off.....unreal the amount of damage that can be done even without teeth breaking skin...have heard the bite force of a large griz is 1800psi.....chain mail will not cushion you from that......

I'm not saying I would wear it and think I can stop a grizzly with it... I was just saying that it would be better to be attacked by a griz with one on, then naked flesh exposed.

This would be geared more toward stray dogs, large coyotes, wolves, cougars, people with knives.... etc. Bears I agree it wouldn't really do much

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[/quote
Originally Posted by SSB
I presonally think a Cougar wearing Chain Maille would be alot more interesting.....See sample above....

I hear ya

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They're making shark suits out of it. If it'll stop a shark's teeth, it should handle a cat.

I don't know if this suit is made to protect from a shark or to wrap a shark. It (the suit) costs $23,000. The model is extra.
[Linked Image]

ITs just standard chainmail they probably use titanium instead of steel so it's lighter and more rust resistant... hence the higher cost

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not saying I would wear it and think I can stop a grizzly with it... I was just saying that it would be better to be attacked by a griz with one on, then naked flesh exposed.

This would be geared more toward stray dogs, large coyotes, wolves, cougars, people with knives.... etc. Bears I agree it wouldn't really do much

only works against slashing cuts with knives.....if the knife has enough of a taper it will go through chain mail.....it was originally used to protect yah from slashing with a sword, if you were stabbed with a sword or shot with an arrow you were still [bleep].....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

only works against slashing cuts with knives.....if the knife has enough of a taper it will go through chain mail.....it was originally used to protect yah from slashing with a sword, if you were stabbed with a sword or shot with an arrow you were still [bleep].....

to a certain extent you are right... although well made maille is worn by shark divers and can stop small to medium sharks from puncturing thru it... if it can prevent a small bull shark from biting thru it with 1800 pounds of bite force, I think it can stop a puny 150 pound human from stabbing me... i'm not gonna bet my life on it though. I think it would work good against a punk witha knife or a stray dog or cougar or wolf/large coyote even a small black bear... would help a lot. I can test it before I wear it.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Partagas
I have seen horse trailers and campers where bears have ripped doors off hinges etc. Chain mail isn't going to slow them down any, just you.

this is more geared toward a person(s) with knife, or stray dog or wolf or large coyote or cougar... not toward a big bear, I was just saying it could probably LESSEN the injury by the bear.. depending on the bear and type of attack.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

to a certain extent you are right... although well made maille is worn by shark divers and can stop small to medium sharks from puncturing thru it... if it can prevent a small bull shark from biting thru it with 1800 pounds of bite force, I think it can stop a puny 150 pound human from stabbing me... i'm not gonna bet my life on it though. I think it would work good against a punk witha knife or a stray dog or cougar or wolf/large coyote even a small black bear... would help a lot. I can test it before I wear it.

there is a reason they went to toughened leather/composite armor.......cant imagine wearing the chit all day is all ic an say......carrying a gun makes more sense.....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.