Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/westboro_baptist_church_plans.html

Where is your freedom of speech now?

This is hate, pure and simple.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Discussed several times over, a good while back.

And, you're way off base.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
burner, you're a week late, dude.

that horse was beat, killed and buried.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Read it.

They are planning to protest the funeral of 7 children at a dairy farm in PA who were killed in a fire a few days ago.

This isn't about Snyder.

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Read it.

You're still off-base, by a LONG shot.

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
How so?

We've empowered them with that ruling.

Explain to me.

I don't think the veterans in my family fought to support that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it falls under free speech......if you want freedom take the bad with the good.....honestly think it aint gonna take but one or two severe beatings to curtail their activities by a whole lot and get through their heads that with rights come responsibilities......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The Freedom of Speech, isn't about protecting speech you LIKE and agree with; it's about protecting speech that you don't like or agree with.

And, the veterans in your family that actually understand the Constitution, DID fight to protect your right to say what you think and believe, regardless of whether what you say is right, accepted, or agreed with by anyone else.

There's nothing preventing folks who DISAGREE with the Westboro nutjobs from going to the funeral and voicing THEIR faith and belief for the family.

IC B3

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So I can walk down the street now screaming racial obscenities at black people? Long as I'm in a public place?

Or maybe I can stand outside a synagogue with a sign that says "Oven Dodgers?"

Snyder's lawyers f***ed up by not making this about hate speech. He should have used the liberal tactics to his advantage.

Imagine how this would have turned out if Snyder was black? I picture an entirely different verdict.

Last edited by burner; 03/11/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
am I missing something? this is like deja vu, all over again.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by burner

I don't think the veterans in my family fought to support that.

I disagree.

Our veterans fought for the right of every American to be able to speak their mind without fear of persecution.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So you agree with hate speech?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I can walk down the street now screaming racial obscenities at black people? Long as I'm in a public place?

Snyder's lawyers f***ed up by not making this about hate speech. He should have used the liberal tactics to his advantage.

Imagine how this would have turned out if Snyder was black? I picture an entirely different verdict.

"hate speech" is [bleep] up and a chitty ruling.....should follow freedom of speech aswell.....if your stupid enough to do it on the southside of Chicago, be prepared to take a beating over your beliefs....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
am I missing something? this is like deja vu, all over again.

Reading comprehension, and staying up on current events.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Burner....roll through this thread and then offer up your thoughts. Try to separate the rational from the emotional. Don't feel bad....many had to.... and did.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...preme_Court_upholds_doucheba#Post4999443

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rattler

"hate speech" is [bleep] up and a chitty ruling.....should follow freedom of speech aswell.....if your stupid enough to do it on the southside of Chicago, be prepared to take a beating over your beliefs....

Not saying I would do it - just pointing out the double standard in our government's policies.

This is a disturbing precedent that's not entirely unexpected because it again shows that our gov.org believes that the rights of the many outweigh the rights of the few.

Specifically, the rights of people to harrass and otherwise torment private individuals for their own agenda, vs. the right of a family to grieve in peace and "pursue happiness."

Funny how liberal this place gets over some things, and not others.

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Have read that thread, still disagree. In America, we have the right to disagree.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
This is a disturbing precedent
=============

For over 200 years years it has been,then.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.