Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[/quote]

there is a reason they went to toughened leather/composite armor.......cant imagine wearing the chit all day is all ic an say......carrying a gun makes more sense.....[/quote]

Every man has his own taste in weapons

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no, just delt with dogs in the past and know when they decide to come after you a bullet beats mail.....call it experience....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polska, if you are even remotely considering this nonsense, you have to actually get out of your fantasy world and into the woods to understand how ridiculous the very thought of this notion is. I don't see either happening in your world. Nice imagination though and and interesting topic. Add a belt with a bear spray holster, some tinkling bells, fairy dust spritzer and you will really have something. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Flinch
I would have to agree. Put the suit on the cougar, feed it and see if it keeps coming back for more. I'm considering baiting options. Any ideas? I'm thinking a few $100 bills on the back step would keep it coming around. Maybe a new pair of stilettos each week? Flinch

Considering my age, and the fact that cougars are much older than the men they pursue, I have no interest in baiting one.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you thought about trying a gun? I hear the best defense is a good offense.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the real question at hand...

Could a safari game rifle rifle with an electronic optic penerate the chain maille armor worn by a "305lb power lifter"?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chain maille VS cougar,small bear, or wolf and other beasts......or....What If Spartacus had A Piper Cub?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Here is the real question at hand...

Could a safari game rifle rifle with an electronic optic penerate the chain maille armor worn by a "305lb power lifter"?

ive got $50 that says i can do it with an arrow to hell with a rifle.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why do you need chainmaille when you weigh 305 and lift weights? Seems like you should have the upper hand when it comes to fighting hand to hand. A few fighting classes would probably be cheaper and you would look a helluva lot cooler kicking a$$ than walking around in chain maille! lol

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A Bodkin arrowhead will zip right through chain mail.

The site this guy (?) should be on is:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/

Getting hit with a 150 gr 308 M2 would be humane compared to some of theses nasties (page down)

http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/ArrowHeads.shtml

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read where PH's used leather with formica sewn to it around there necks and wore a football helmet when following up wounded cats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard the most effective deterrent for cougars and wolves was a string of pork chops strung about the neck. Something about it that game doesn't like.
Perhaps the OP should give that field trial and report back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've read where PH's used leather with formica sewn to it around there necks and wore a football helmet when following up wounded cats.

Sounds like Capstick and if so you should consider a degree of poetic license involved in the story..

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rattler
no, just delt with dogs in the past and know when they decide to come after you a bullet beats mail.....call it experience....

to each his own, I never attacked you, why are you attacking me

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Why do you need chainmaille when you weigh 305 and lift weights? Seems like you should have the upper hand when it comes to fighting hand to hand. A few fighting classes would probably be cheaper and you would look a helluva lot cooler kicking a$$ than walking around in chain maille! lol

Being strong won't protect me from jaws and claws.

Last edited by Polska; 03/11/11.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Some nasty people here

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Polska,

Are you from, or living in Kamchatka?

OR?

Just asking.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Polska
Originally Posted by maarty
I'd rather be able to maneuver and shoot or run away which I doubt I could if I was wearing a steel suit.

I'm not worried about weight, they don't even weigh that much, and if you make your own you can make as heavy or light as you want... I would make it light duty to protect say from a looter or thug with a pocket knife or a wolve or cougars teeth and claws. Or even a stray dog.

I know for a bear your done... this would be for LIGHT armor... protection from stray dogs or looters or thugs with knives or slashing weapons...

this is just a hobby, I don't plan on wearing this to work every day or to test it out against a grizzly... I think it would work good against a cougar or cougar sized animal with teeh and/or claws. Chainmaille is surprisingly easy to make too, and cheap.

I'm not worried about weight I weigh 305 pounds and i'm a powerlifter so I have a lot of muscle on me... however even for me I would not want to hike 5 miles with one on. This would only be a [bleep] hit the fan shirt if there was ever anarchy in this country and I needed some basic crude body armor against man or beast

If you wouldn't hike 5 miles in it, how do you expect to encounter a Felis concolor to be worried about in the first place?

As for SHTF, at 305, and slowed down by maille, you'd not be hard to pick out or off.

My suggestion would be to continue making that stuff and selling it to the SCA crowd. When you make enough disposable cash, get a couple decent firearms and become proficient with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would think head and neck protection would be of more value and a suit of Maille. Then again not being able to see or hear well would be the trade off I guess. I will just pay attention to my surroundings and keep a gun handy. The chances of me getting thumped but either a Cougar or what have you is slim to none, now the two legged ones well, they make plenty of good pocket guns for that.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Sounds like Capstick and if so you should consider a degree of poetic license involved in the story..

You are right and found out that his accounts weren't really al his. Pretty disappointed that he'd do that.

JM

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.