-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Aw c'mon Jorge, you can get the the new R8 in those big mastadonian chamberings now with one more in the box than you handle with your double. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No doubt, but have you ever SEEN how many parts go into that rifle? Besides, I never bought off on the 120psi overpressure stuff. A few years ago, Sauer produced a very fine and again over-engineeered bolt action, relying on a series of "cams" that locked the bolt as you pushed it forward. Always wanted one and still do, but they had a potential issue if the cams became stuck, the bolt could wind up in your face. I just can't handle that weird bolt set up. A MKV action is about as "daring" as I want to get smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No problem. People perceive things differently; I'm not as familiar with the Sauer, another, generally, finely crafted rifle, but have studied the Blaser R93 bolt ad nauseum--nothing human is fool proof, but it is close.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by goodnews

No problem. People perceive things differently; I'm not as familiar with the Sauer, another, generally, finely crafted rifle, but have studied the Blaser R93 bolt ad nauseum--nothing human is fool proof, but it is close.
When I owned one, I found the safety system a little confusing. Was never quite sure if it was on safe or not. Another thing I didn't like about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The safety or cocking mechanism is what took the most getting used to for me also. It takes a manly push to get it on and a push forward-down maneuver to de-cock, not the slip-slide or forward click of a tang or wing safety of more traditional rifles but it is safe and has about as clear an indicator as can be--a red dot about the size of your pinkie fingernail is uncovered when it is cocked so I'm confused as to why you couldn't tell what state the rifle was in.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Don't know much about who buys them, but it used to be when I did a search for Lefthand rifles on gunbroker, a gazillion blazers would clog my search results. I had to type up a fairly complex boolean search string to exclude the majority, but not all blazers that came up since sellers spelled and listed them so many different ways. Kept it in a text file so I could copy and paste it in. Don't have that problem anymore and haven't used that complex search string for a long time.

"Left hand -Blaser -R93" gets rid of most of them. Been doing that longer than I can remember.

I have only ever seen 1 Blaser in the flesh, and it had a Schmidt and Bender something or other scope on top. I think the guy spent more time talking about his rifle (in 7mm Rem Mag no less) than he did actually hunting. Guy was a flipping snob of the highest order, to say the least.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, that settles it. Who buys Blaser rifles? Flipping snobs....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Never owned one, but looked one over good once. Bolt locking reminded me of that of a Remington 870 shotgun, but more of the same. Didnt cause any concern for me, but niether does my 870.

Rick
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, that settles it. Who buys Blaser rifles? Flipping snobs....

Yep, that'd be me! laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I knew it!

Think I'll run out next week and buy one myself, just to prove my flipping bona fides....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by goodnews

The safety or cocking mechanism is what took the most getting used to for me also. It takes a manly push to get it on and a push forward-down maneuver to de-cock, not the slip-slide or forward click of a tang or wing safety of more traditional rifles but it is safe and has about as clear an indicator as can be--a red dot about the size of your pinkie fingernail is uncovered when it is cocked so I'm confused as to why you couldn't tell what state the rifle was in.
Sometimes I thought I took it off safe, but pulling the trigger didn't fire it, then I realized I had to do something else too. It's been a few years, so that's as much detail as I can give you about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Occasionally, with the R93 it was possible to close the bolt but not quite far enough without immediately noticing it. Then upon cocking and pulling the trigger it would not fire. In this case the firing pin can not reach the primer, another safety feature.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Goodnews,

I can't speak for how yours operated. However, on mine, it's impossible to cock the rifle with unless the bolt is fully engaged. If it's left slightly less than engaged, the cocking process fully engages and locks the bolt. Essentially, if I can see the big red dot, then I'm good to go. Maybe we're on the same page and simply defining cocked vs. uncocked differently.

BlueK9

Last edited by BlueK9; 03/10/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been awhile so I may be mistaken but I believe thatvafter you've fired the rifle and worked the bolt but not quite having gotten it all the way foward, though the indicator shows red, you could pull the trigger and not be able to fire it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Okay, I with you now. I was talking about prior to initially firing it. Yes, after having fired a shot, the red dot remains visible while cycling the action, but the trigger doesn't engage until the bolt is fully closed.

Last edited by BlueK9; 03/10/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just a thought for all you guys not comfortable with straight pull actions, an AR--a straight pull type action-- has a bunch of mini lugs on the bolt (7 in a RRA) that slide forward between their opposing action lugs and must rotate only about 10 degrees or so to lock up and that's obviously not by rotating them manually--it's a mechanical rotation which means it could fail also, a fact I've never heard anyone worry about.

The R93's rotate mechanically too but "out" through a different plane is all and I would submit with even greater contact as practically all 360 deg of the bolt head make contact whereas the 7 little lugs of an AR bolt make up about 50% of potential contact surface.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Straight pull doesn't bother me...ugly does smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ve haf vays to make you do vat ve vant grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They rank up there with Savage 100's sick grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Porsches and Vegas--not in the same universe wink

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.