Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What I have learned from this thread so far is that some of us come here to learn, and some come to impart wisdom.
The problem seems to be that the pecking order is not universally honored.
I like to think I am here to exchange opinions with others and share experiences.
Kevin,
I thought you were a policeman because of the blue shirt and holding a handgun. Then I thought you were a paramedic for some reason. Now your profile says you are a buyer and a writer.
How did you attain expert status in the art of pistolcraft?
I know that I don't know, (I think).
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
"Now, anonymous from dumbasses who fly off the handle and threaten and psychos who get so torqued up over nothing that they are willing to drive across several states to get their asss whupped, is a different story. A handle provides an extra bit of security. Only a moron would put all their info out there for all the crazies, not to mention all the spiders constantly harvesting info for who-knows-what purpose."

Trick is to not post something that would rile a psycho moron up in the first place. What good does it do? In the mean time, no one's been here to visit me. Of course, if you piss off a cop, you might find them using official means to track you down and put the word out to brothers in your town to remind you of your station in life.

I know of one instance where that happened on another forum.

Dan

Smart idiots keep their mouths shut so other idiots don't know how smart they really are.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
"Now, anonymous from dumbasses who fly off the handle and threaten and psychos who get so torqued up over nothing that they are willing to drive across several states to get their asss whupped, is a different story. A handle provides an extra bit of security. Only a moron would put all their info out there for all the crazies, not to mention all the spiders constantly harvesting info for who-knows-what purpose."

Trick is to not post something that would rile a psycho moron up in the first place. What good does it do? In the mean time, no one's been here to visit me. Of course, if you piss off a cop, you might find them using official means to track you down and put the word out to brothers in your town to remind you of your station in life.

I know of one instance where that happened on another forum.

Dan

Here's a less cryptic response. Cops who use "official means" to track down people for personal reasons are headed for an abrupt end to their career if they are found out.

"Well Lieutenant, I uh...ran a full background check on this guy and then me and Deputy Dawg went out to his house and tazed him a few times because he made Deputy Dawg's wife's third cousin (also her Uncle) cry over some vicious comments made on the internet."

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think this thread is starting to make me lean toward S&W.:)

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
What I have learned from this thread so far is that some of us come here to learn, and some come to impart wisdom.
The problem seems to be that the pecking order is not universally honored.
I like to think I am here to exchange opinions with others and share experiences.
Kevin,
I thought you were a policeman because of the blue shirt and holding a handgun. Then I thought you were a paramedic for some reason. Now your profile says you are a buyer and a writer.
How did you attain expert status in the art of pistolcraft?
I know that I don't know, (I think).
whelennut
Whelennut -
Well, I don't know about expert, but I've been around some. I've actually done a LOT of jobs; I'm just a touch of a workaholic and It's rare that I have just one job. I've always got something going on the side. I was a paramedic for 16 years, but while holding that job, I've done many other 2nd jobs, one of which was a bodyguard. But being a bodyguard really has very little to do with pistolcraft other than you're expected to be a bit confident...I actually had two clients ask me to take them shooting to see if I shot well (I was surprised as hell both times...just when you're convinced someone could care less, they surprise you).

At a very young age of 19 I began gunsmithing working for the '80's version of Century Internationa, which was Pacific International, and ARMEX International (the class 3 side of the house). I've done the job of gunsmith both vocationally and has a hobby ever since. I still take jobs from time to time, but my wait times are always around a year, because I'm raising kids. When I attended bodyguard school and a few other bodyguard specialization courses, I've received some top notch training, most notably from John Farnam, whom I personally think is the best in the biz. These days, there are few who have heard of Farnam because he's always worked on word of mouth only. Still, he has trained some of the (actually THE) largest LE agencies in the world, as well as oodles of some of the top military organizations (often special ops as well). I've reloaded for around 30 years, competed in IPSC, Benchrest, Bullseye, 3 gun, Sporting Clays & trap. I've been in foreign lands doing protection work. I'm a graduate of Executive Security International, you can take a look at their web site and see what kind of work their grads often do, and where. I'm under NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) with all my clients, so there's no kiss and tell allowed, and that's standard throughout the entire industry. NDA's typically have a 5 year expiration date. There are several sections and clauses in your typical NDA, but the section of whom you've protected is usually covered under the "Survivability" setion of the NDA, which essentially says that after the NDA expires, this or that section will survive or XYZ duration, and the whom you've protected usually has a "survivability" of another 10 years. In short, I can't talk about whom I've protected for an average of 15 years from the signing of the NDA. And my intention is to never talk out of respect for their privacy...yeah, even the one's I didn't like.

So "expert?" I don't know about that. I'm "expert" enough that I've been published in most popular firearms publications. But I don't consider myself an "expert" at all; just another student of the gun like most everyone else here. In fact, it's the proclaiming of "expert" on this forum I'm offended by. The so called "experts" who have made either clearly wrong or outlandish statements and when asked they say, "Because I say so, I'm an expert".

I have never said "because I say so, I'm an expert". I've given my opinion or my observations. On occasion I've stated "facts" as I knew them and made sure I could back those facts up. The only time I've offered my resume was either when telling a story and one of my jobs was a part of the story, or when soemone flat out asked me (like you did). If someone has ever asked for specific references, I've always provided those if my credibility was in question (with the exception of whom I've provided protection for, because I'm under NDA). But verification of things like ESI, DTI (Defesnsive Training International - John & Vicki Farnam), my Paramedic past & experience. At one time I did some education at UC Davis Medical School on terminal ballistics, someone called me on that and I provided my contact there; but she has since died of cancer (EMS Base Coordinator Shirley Lowry - RIP) , and I doubt anyone around there these days knows who I am since that was 20 years ago this year.

But with this thread, I'm learning that people don't care whether I'm credible or not so I'll probably learn to ignore those who post BS and no longer call attention when complete BS is spewed. I tried to challenge BS in the hopes that those who truely come here to learn will not be taken in by the "experts" who suddenly become shy when someone questions the credentials they're quick to give out when they say "because I said so". I've learned that people around here don't much appreciate when I call the BS-er's so I'll just stop doing so.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Impressive resume'. If you took note, I did not dis your experience or knowledge. I think some of the conclusions you've drawn are faulty. Most people are guilty of that to some extent. Perhaps I am too being too hard on your desire to post info. I suppose if I was a published author in the gun field I would take seriouser what people on here thought of me as perhaps my reputation on some site such as this would matter. Also, maybe I would put more of my info out there in order to drum up readers-no offense intended. As it is, I like the idea of handles as they give you a wee bit more protection from jackhammers like the one above who like to make veiled threats about cops visiting you because you said that their favorite gun sucked or maybe didn't give them full credit for all 80 of their IQ points.

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cole,

Thanks...I'm not all that impressed with my resume. Yeah, I do put a lot out there to drum up the click rate on my web site; that's how the online game works.

And about your opinion that some of my conclusions I've drawn are faulty...I would say it's a difference of opinion. There's two kinds of conclusions, true/fales and opinion. EVERYone has their own opinion, and when I post mine, either it's obvious it is my opinion, or I'll state it it. An example would be my "Truth about the Glock" piece on my web site...clearly labeled opinion piece.

The other type is the fact or no-fact type conclusion. If I get that wrong, I hope someone would correct me so I can learn. When others present facts that clearly are not facts, I do the same. The difference is, I'm looking for facts and knowledge, and those who don't want to be corrected, they're trying to puff up your ego. Now I'd be a fool to say I don't have an ego, but I try to keep that to myself (and sometimes I don't do a very good job). Lately I've been under some medical treatment following a surgery, so I'm not exactly myself - good example of me not being at my best)

But at the end of the day, I think people come here to share knowledge with like minded people, enjoy being in the company of others who share the same interests. In the past, we've all been interested in the truth, but I'm getting that this is something that is of less importance. So, I'll adjust my attitude accordingly. NO PROB.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Lot of interesting chest thumping and self horn tooting here it seems.
Awhile back JB posted a thread about post responders usually not even reading what was originally posted ,but they are so ego bound that they have to post something in response. No matter if it is correct,makes sense,or is even closley related to the topic. That rings pretty close to the truth on this thread.

I would venture to say that at least 75% of the posters here really don't care what anyone thinks they know.

Over the years I have found two things to be true. Beware of the person who tells you how honest they are. They usually are not. Beware of the person who tells you how much he knows. They usually don't.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kevin,
Your experience is extensive no doubt about it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Just keep in mind some people have a rather big ego and thin skin around here.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Lot of interesting chest thumping and self horn tooting here it seems.
Awhile back JB posted a thread about post responders usually not even reading what was originally posted ,but they are so ego bound that they have to post something in response. No matter if it is correct,makes sense,or is even closley related to the topic. That rings pretty close to the truth on this thread.

I would venture to say that at least 75% of the posters here really don't care what anyone thinks they know.

Over the years I have found two things to be true. Beware of the person who tells you how honest they are. They usually are not. Beware of the person who tells you how much he knows. They usually don't.

Not speaking of anyone on here, but I also take note of people who talk, but doesn't listen.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 59 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.