Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'll answer this seriously.

1) Chain mail offers little or no resistance against impact. The crushing force of a bite or blow will impact your body almost unimpeded.

2) The links could be easily burst by the pressure of a bite as the point of a tooth enters the link.

3) I put my money on the bear.

GB1

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
you never read my post, no one did. you guys just have no lives. The idea is I could wear it if looters came to my neighborhood with knifes and so forth so if I had to ge tinto hand to hand combat i'd have some protection from slashes and sharp slicing weapons. The cahin would definately crush me but a bear will not split apart the chain... if it's welded properly and it's 10 gauge steel I doubt he'll bite thru it... but thats not the point. This would not be designed for bears, mainly people... stray dogs, etc... something that is not powerful to overpower me.. but that I could fend off with some body armor to protect me from teeth, claws, and knife slashes

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
OK. One looter is bound to have a gun. He shoots you when you get into hand to hand combat..you die. The welded 10 gauge links capture the expanded and nearly spent bullet exiting your chest cavity and give the forensic team something to work with to solve your murder.

The small bear in your thread TITLE breaks all your bones and has a chewier meal .

The wolf/cougar...it might help you....If you want to wear 40 pounds of armour in the woods for the 1-million chance of attack be my guest.

Be pretty crappy in the canoe though when you hit the souse hole and get dragged to the bottom.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You might want to start watching Harry Potter movies, I think magic might serve your needs better. Russ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Polska
you never read my post, no one did. you guys just have no lives. The idea is I could wear it if looters came to my neighborhood with knifes and so forth so if I had to ge tinto hand to hand combat i'd have some protection from slashes and sharp slicing weapons.

You just can't make chit like this up..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you never read my post, no one did. you guys just have no lives. The idea is I could wear it if looters came to my neighborhood with knifes and so forth so if I had to ge tinto hand to hand combat i'd have some protection from slashes and sharp slicing weapons. The cahin would definately crush me but a bear will not split apart the chain... if it's welded properly and it's 10 gauge steel I doubt he'll bite thru it... but thats not the point. This would not be designed for bears, mainly people... stray dogs, etc... something that is not powerful to overpower me.. but that I could fend off with some body armor to protect me from teeth, claws, and knife slashes

or do the smart thing, carry a gun and shoot the [bleep] before they are close enough to do anything......

to the rest, we sure this isnt TRH under a new name, sounds and aweful lot like the solutions he comes up to these sorts of problems.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont think you have much of a chance...

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by maarty
I'd rather be able to maneuver and shoot or run away which I doubt I could if I was wearing a steel suit.

I'm not worried about weight, they don't even weigh that much, and if you make your own you can make as heavy or light as you want... I would make it light duty to protect say from a looter or thug with a pocket knife or a wolve or cougars teeth and claws. Or even a stray dog.

I know for a bear your done... this would be for LIGHT armor... protection from stray dogs or looters or thugs with knives or slashing weapons...

this is just a hobby, I don't plan on wearing this to work every day or to test it out against a grizzly... I think it would work good against a cougar or cougar sized animal with teeh and/or claws. Chainmaille is surprisingly easy to make too, and cheap.

I'm not worried about weight I weigh 305 pounds and i'm a powerlifter so I have a lot of muscle on me... however even for me I would not want to hike 5 miles with one on. This would only be a [bleep] hit the fan shirt if there was ever anarchy in this country and I needed some basic crude body armor against man or beast

If you wouldn't hike 5 miles in it, how do you expect to encounter a Felis concolor to be worried about in the first place?

As for SHTF, at 305, and slowed down by maille, you'd not be hard to pick out or off.

My suggestion would be to continue making that stuff and selling it to the SCA crowd. When you make enough disposable cash, get a couple decent firearms and become proficient with them.

Read it, comprehended your dumbphuckitude well, and the original suggestion stands.

As does your inordinate level of dumbphuckitude.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes I think we clearly all saw your intent to use chain maille to fend of looters etc. when you titled the thread... "Chain maille VS cougar, small bear, or wolf and other beasts" and posted it in the General Big Game section.

OH yes and lets not forget your first post in the thread was this:
i've been studying how to make chainmaille just as a hobby, I'm wondering if riveted chainmaille with thick rings could provide decent defense in a fight with a cougar or wolf or small bear... I think there teeth and claws would break on the steel? just something to think about. Even if a brown bear got you down the steel would atleast prevent him from ripping you apart.. althought it would leave nasty bruises, i'd rather have bruises then deep cuts.

So we all clearly again missed your indications that the intent of using your chain maille as defense agianst looters.

You're a half wit teen ager whold has talked out his ass here, and is now trying to undig a hole.
Keep shoveling kid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
p.s. have fun at band camp!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
I dont think you have much of a chance...

Polska; Watch that first video again. You're [bleep].

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Polska you have to be the single stupidist person ever.

Last edited by fishdog; 03/26/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, if he is, he'll never believe you. I've known people like this before and about all you can do with them is have a little fun.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
Reminds me of why a .22 revolver is a preferred bear protection handgun.

Just knee-cap your hunting partner when the bear shows up. You don't have to outrun the bear; just the other guy.

Am figuring a 'tard in chain maille would be about as easy to outpace.

Just don't get out of bino range....

Screw the bino's don't get out of camera with telephoto lens range, then post the results here!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok

Just knee-cap your hunting partner when the bear shows up. You don't have to outrun the bear; just the other guy.

Am figuring a 'tard in chain maille would be about as easy to outpace.

Just don't get out of bino range....

Screw the bino's don't get out of camera with telephoto lens range, then post the results here!

Evidence.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This sounds familiar....

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.