-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Religion seems strong here in the SE. We have some of the largest church's and religions headquartered here.

I was at a Joel Osteen, event in Nashville last Friday night. With it being held at the Bridgestone Arena, where the Predators play. This is the largest seating that N'ville has, which probably holds 4000-5000.

The place was packed, no seats available. His church in Houstan probably holds that many or more. No religion isn't slowing down in the SE.

I've got two Pastors in my Kiwanis Club, a Baptist, a Methodist. They tell me that the numbers are rising in their churches and in most.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many churches in Southern Idaho have grown considerably the past few years, from what I have seen.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
I think you are right Brian. Some religions are dyiing out. In fact, I haven't seen "A Scientific Pantheist who enjoys sharing his beliefs" around here in ... well... forever.

One of them died around here. Down at the county seat a few years back they set up a Jehovia Witness Church. First time I drove by and saw it I rolled eyes and shook my head. They hit the streets trying to recruit members but if what I've heard is true, nobody joined. Not long after the people who started it took down their sign and moved away. Next time I drove by and saw the vacated building I just grinned. Good riddance! smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Religion may become extinct in nine nations

Isn't that the ultimate goal of Marxism? Funny how the state has usurped many of the roles of religion and religion dies out where that happens.

That's because government IS a religion. Gov always tries to pass itself off as parent, provider, protector, of the people and expects in return your loyalty, love and adoration, sacrifice, tithes to be paid, etc. Gov is not merely similar to religion, it IS a religion. Nimrod started the first government. Many people believe he was the originator of false religions. They are correct but I don't think they realize the depth of it.

Won't they be surprised...
there is no government in hell.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The article does not appear to distinguish between organized religion and unorganized religion. I know that England has a very healthy Pagan movement which is usually some type of Witchcraft or Wicca, both of which are very unorganized religions.

Organized religions maybe dying out in some countries but I bet the unorganized religions are going full steam ahead.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My best description of religion is that its a business disquised as a social club. People go because they want to be around others who think like they do and give them support. Of course you have to assume there is something wrong with you and the only was to fix it is to feel bad about yourself and suffer. For those who rush foward to defend their faith, be greatful there are people who have a different way of looking at things. Because, without these people you would still believe the earth was center of the universe . Galileo and Darwin delivered body blows to religion that it has never recovered from or never will. To do this all they had to do is tell the truth and nothing pisses people off worse than to be confused by the facts.

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PS1080
Galileo and Darwin delivered body blows to religion that it has never recovered from or never will.
Now THIS is an interesting proclamation. Could you expound a touch?
Unrelated to a certain degree but just curious.... do you believe in man made global warming?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PS1080
My best description of religion is that its a business disquised as a social club. 1. People go because they want to be around others who think like they do and give them support. 2. Of course you have to assume there is something wrong with you and the only was to fix it is to feel bad about yourself and suffer. For those who rush foward to defend their faith, be greatful there are people who have a different way of looking at things. 3. Because, without these people you would still believe the earth was center of the universe .

4. Galileo and Darwin delivered body blows to religion that it has never recovered from or never will. To do this all they had to do is tell the truth and nothing pisses people off worse than to be confused by the facts.

1. It's called fellowship and is doing as commanded.
2. Not everyone is Roman Catholic.
3. It is where I live. ymmv.
4. Religous faiths have always taken body blows and always will.

jus sayin

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as humans are concerned Earth is the center of the universe. The actual center is really of no consequence except perhaps for a few scientists and their equations.

I believe it was the Roman Catholics who fought scientific truths such as round planet and center of the universe. Shouldn't surprise anyone, they fought a lot of things and did a lot of killing for a thousand years or more. In many ways, they were worse than muslims.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What I meant was that at certain points in time Science has showed the people that they were being lied to. This hurt the credibility of religion. I realize not everyone is catholic but the basic operation of the religions don't vary alot. I don't believe in blind faith or being commanded by imaginary forces. Now to global warming. I was discussing this with a coworker not ten minutes ago. It's all made up and a religion unto itself. Show a sixth grader a chart of sun activity and temperature of the earth and they will make the correct correlation. To bad al gore can't do the same. Of course if he did he couldn't sell you carbon credits. As they say follow the money.

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people who predict the end of Christianity know virtually nothing about what they're talking about.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Most people who predict the end of Christianity know virtually nothing about what they're talking about.

Steve

Kinda like how most Christians knowledge of how the Bible came to be written, by who, when, and who decided what to put in - and what to leave out? That kind of knowing virtually nothing? wink

Most of my own friends (of faith) aren't entirely well schooled in the actual history of the book they profess to believe in. Quizzing them about their knowledge of how the many included books came to be allowed in (and what was left out - and why) isn't a conversation too many of them relish. Learning about all the historical meetings, the theological arguments, the various votes by Pope's, and councils and such. The arguments over translations. With what most of them know - I can't blame many of them for being reluctant to discuss much about it. I guess it can be kind of uncomfortable for some people to be confronted by the actual history that they don't care to know, or, at the very least - weren't aware of.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Brian, you beat Fox News to the story. whistle

Study Finds Religion May Be Heading for Extinction in Parts of World - Fox News

The study also found that "Americans without affiliation comprise the only religious group growing in all 50 states."

"In 2008 those claiming no religion rose to 15 percent nationwide, with a maximum in Vermont at 34 percent," the study says.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I can find it, I'll post a link, but I read a study about 3 months ago saying that islam was the fastest growing religion in the U.S. But if you removed the prison conversion population, it fell to the third fastest growing.

That jives with what I've personally observed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Most of my own friends (of faith) aren't entirely well schooled in the actual history of the book they profess to believe in. Quizzing them about their knowledge of how the many included books came to be allowed in (and what was left out - and why) isn't a conversation too many of them relish. Learning about all the historical meetings, the theological arguments, the various votes by Pope's, and councils and such. The arguments over translations. With what most of them know - I can't blame many of them for being reluctant to discuss much about it. I guess it can be kind of uncomfortable for some people to be confronted by the actual history that they don't care to know, or, at the very least - weren't aware of.

Your comment seems empty. While many people of any faith might be very knowlegeable about the content and teachings of their Holy Scriptures, many or most might not be considered "well-schooled" in the actual history of the writing/compilation of the Book. Your position is in trouble when you apply the term "actual history", for how and by whom do you - unilaterally, one might suppose - arrive at the "actual history"? In these times, no history of the writing of any ancient such work is "actual" - such history is the reduced/amplified sum of accounts composed by human "historians" subject to the same influences, politics, biases, predjudices,illnesses etc. as those whom you want to hold in account for "altering" the content of the Book itself.

Are you actually of the belief that historians all are pure and wholly accurate in what they write? Do you truly believe that there is a pure, comprehensive and "actual" history of the development of the Bible among the writings of humans?

Or, in taking such doubting and demeaning postures, might your defense be that you are going with the best of what you have available and you are willing to believe in that? If so, I understand and it may or may not make your argument worth consideration.

However, nothing in what you write gives credence or puts significant weight on the matter of faith among those who embrace the Bible. You seem to be missing a HUGE point.

If you have such faith in the supposed "actual" historical accounts of the various humans who created the history on which you base your position about how the Book came together, and you feel so good about possibly stumping believers on those same suspicious historical accounts, how can you even pretend to be an intellectually honest person? Given your obvious faith in the "historians", how could you possibly discount the faith of those who believe in and apply the writings in the Bible? Is not their faith more important than your history - especially to them?

Whether or not you might have any real facts to present, your position is undermined from the start by its selfishness and narrowness.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Most of my own friends (of faith) aren't entirely well schooled in the actual history of the book they profess to believe in. Quizzing them about their knowledge of how the many included books came to be allowed in (and what was left out - and why) isn't a conversation too many of them relish.
And why would they? Few relish a discussion with someone with an agenda to discredit what they hold precious. Particularly when much of the purported "actual history" is rife with conjecture, assumption, politics and agenda.

I would suggest that the "knowing virtually nothing" my Brother in Christ spoke of has much to do with the understanding of faith. A faith that, though we Christians sometimes can struggle to live for, we would willingly die for. Such a faith cannot be extinguished, though it has been tried and put to that test repeatedly for over 2,000 years. Such a faith will only end when the One who brought it to the world, returns to perfect us and fulfill it.

Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Locally - the parish I've belonged to since 84 built a huge new church. It's about 3 or 4 years old. It's already too small.

IIRC 2000 families belong so that's got us around 6 to 8000 members. Average age at our place is 27. Verified via survey.

1 priest, 2 deacons. Roman Catholic

It's growing round here....

Me

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What is the fastest growing religion ? Anyone really know for sure?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the discussions about what books are in the Bible, etc. leave out the most important part of it - the guidance of the Holy Spirit. To a non-Christian, that's nonsense, and intended by God to be that way. But Christians know the power of the HP and how he influenced the early Christians as to what to include in the Bible. It's there because God wants it there or it's excluded because God wants it excluded. Every book in the Bible was written with God's guidance.

Who becomes a Christian? Jesus said that only those who receive a call from God will be saved. But that's not predestination. The Bible says that every man must choose for or against God. The call comes because God knows in advance who will answer and he doesn't bother with those who won't. We all have free choice, but God just knows in advance who will choose life or death.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by BCBrian
... As an atheist, I used to think I was in the minority. Now, it appears that might be changing. At least I might be ahead of the curve if this report is true. I know that where I live in Canada, the trend has been more or less one way - and for quite some time now. Church membership is slipping badly, and at the same time those regularly attending are aging rapidly. ...

Definitely ahead of the curve. Of course those "ahead of the curve" will be wondering what happened when millions of people disappear. Probably just chalk that up to a massive alien abduction. Then the calamities will come, but I'm sure those "ahead of the curve" will blame at least some of the calamities on global climate change and thank something (don't know what) that those millions of people are gone and not emitting CO2 any more. Some of the rest of the calamities will probably be attributed to the same aliens who abducted the millions who suddenly disappeared. Be careful though when someone wants to put 666 on your hand or forehead - that will probably be your last chance to change your mind on whether you want to be "ahead of the curve." Of course, at that point, it will be easier in a lot of ways just to go with the flow, so it is doubtful those who look at themselves as "ahead of the curve" today will change their minds. Signs of the times.

Amen brother!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 405winash, 9 invisible), 948 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.