Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Corelokt is my bullet of choice in the 30-30..The price is such I don't even reload for it as the Corelokt works just dandy and at a dandy price, on special...

I did get 5 boxes of 30-30 fusions at $5 a box so I guess I will be trying those for comparison one day.

Jayco

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The slow movers out of lever guns seem to work well.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I think "slow" is the key word here with most of the bullets of old.They worked back then and still do, if you don't hot rod them past there intended velocities.Is a 180 grain Corelokt going to work better in a .308 Winchester or a .300 Weatherby or Ultra Mag?

I wouldn't be afraid to use a factory 180 grain Corelokt in my '06 if that was all I had, at 2700 fps.

But yes,I prefer Noslers and am willing to pay the little extra for piece of mind and performance in hunting circumstances that all to often,happen.

But that is Elk talk,not deer..

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have alot of experience with the CoreLokt 200 gr. in .35Rem and have grown to like that bullet on deer.

Ive had a 35 Rem in 336 since I was 12. Sadly never shot a deer with it. Im having a 35 built on a 700 right now, and the 200gr is what im going to start reloading with. After seeing tests on the net, im sure itll do a hell of a job.

I do have alot of experience with the 6mm 100gr core lokts. Mostly all have been bang flops. A couple required 2nd shots, but they were running/poor angles. From what I can remember, none lost its core. Most were total train wrecks though. That could be chalked up to impact velocity, as most were shot from treestands in heavy cover. A couple longer than that, though still well under 100yrds on the power line going to the stand.

Ive pretty much always used core lokts because my family didnt reload. Used PP's in my '06 and they seemed to work identically to the core lokts. Used a TSX in my '06 one time, and it worked well. Not as much tissue damage, but it did go completely through. The core lokts rarely do. Again, probably a distance/velocity thing. Last deer I took(been skunked for couple years) I used a 130gr Accubond on my 270 short mag. Bullet didnt pass through, but the insides were soup. Still think I hit a tree he was beside going in. Should have passed through easily at about 80 yrds.

Well, enough rambling. Ill keep using core lokts for most things. Im in PA, and pretty much shoot shoulders because of all the other hunters out there so with the short distances it pretty much doesnt matter what bullet I use. Now that im getting into reloading that might change, but so far ive been happy with core lokts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Jayman...

You're an idiot.

lol

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jayman_10x
Originally Posted by toad
Core-Lokt on the left, NPT on the right. same weight when launched, same cartridge, and same species.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing. In fact, a bullet resembling the Corelokt may equate to a success more often than not. I have hunted for over 20 years and have had great success with the bullet. Again, it's a great value. Would I shoot a brown bear in the shoulder at 50 yards with one? Of course not. Would I use it for my annual venison supply at reasonable shooting range, with a bullet correctly placed? Of course I would, and most experienced hunters would concur. Nothing substitutes for sound bullet placement and careful stalking within range.

Now go peddle your silly pictures somewhere else.

It takes someone rather "special" to discount a picture like the one above, especially since most of the posters on this forum have seen the exact same thing.

That type of performance is forgivable on a high BC bullet, but in this day and age with what we have available, no reason to shoot such a dog of a bullet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
How did you get that species to hold still long enough to recover that core lokt that failed? That picture doesn't tell the size of the species, where each bullet hit, distance of the shot, etc. etc. etc. Jayman, you are not an idiot. An idiot would take for gospel everything they read and see on an internet forum. You have been found guilty of being a bit doubtful of one picture on the internet. That's it. That's all. That does not make you an idiot.

i got that species to hold still long enough to recover that bullet with another bullet. betcha diddn't see that coming.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that's funny right there.....I dont care who you are!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a bad experience with Corelokt on an elk.
A well placed shot from a .30-06 entered a shoulder, failed to penetrate anything vital, and deflected off bone.
The shooter was very lucky to get a 2nd shot into the animal.
Post-mortem it was clear the 1st bullet never expanded.
With the choices available today I've no use for Corelokt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
How did you get that species to hold still long enough to recover that core lokt that failed? That picture doesn't tell the size of the species, where each bullet hit, distance of the shot, etc. etc. etc. Jayman, you are not an idiot. An idiot would take for gospel everything they read and see on an internet forum. You have been found guilty of being a bit doubtful of one picture on the internet. That's it. That's all. That does not make you an idiot.

i got that species to hold still long enough to recover that bullet with another bullet. betcha diddn't see that coming.

I've even done that to recover a "premium" hole! grin Betcha diddn't see that coming either.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
plan 'A' is always 'anchor the victim'.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I honest-to-God don't think that there is a significant difference among any of the standard cup-and-core bullets: Core-Lokt, Power-Pt, Speer, Hornady Interlock, etc. - and I've used them all. At impact speeds below 3000 fps and on deer-sized game, they will all work. I'd base my choice on whichever one gives you the best accuracy, then go forth in search of game.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Jayman_10x
Core-Lokt on the left, NPT on the right. same weight when launched, same cartridge, and same species.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing. In fact, a bullet resembling the Corelokt may equate to a success more often than not. I have hunted for over 20 years and have had great success with the bullet. Again, it's a great value. Would I shoot a brown bear in the shoulder at 50 yards with one? Of course not. Would I use it for my annual venison supply at reasonable shooting range, with a bullet correctly placed? Of course I would, and most experienced hunters would concur. Nothing substitutes for sound bullet placement and careful stalking within range.

Now go peddle your silly pictures somewhere else.

It takes someone rather "special" to discount a picture like the one above, especially since most of the posters on this forum have seen the exact same thing.

That type of performance is forgivable on a high BC bullet, but in this day and age with what we have available, no reason to shoot such a dog of a bullet.

You're not paying attention. Re-read (or have someone read it for you) my posts - I stated Corelokts are not premium bullets. They are for deer hunting at normal ranges.

Jason

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=Calvin

It takes someone rather "special" to discount a picture like the one above, especially since most of the posters on this forum have seen the exact same thing. [/quote]

Hey Calvin,
I took a quick sample of the posts to this topic and approximately 80% agree that Corelokts are decent bullets, subject to use with common sense.

I don't care if you want to hurl insults at me. It's just the internet and I don't take you seriously. But at least make an effort to substantiate your claims.

Jason

Last edited by Jayman_10x; 04/10/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"That type of performance is forgivable on a high BC bullet, but in this day and age with what we have available, no reason to shoot such a dog of a bullet."

Except perhaps that they are cheap and when used properly, they work fine, just as they have for decades.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now just let me say this in such a way as so some who don't understand, can have the light turned on in their thinking caps.

If your going to be shooting a magnum rifle with velocities over 2700fps, then you best start looking for a premium bullet or suffer the lose down the road of an animal or three.

I am not shooting a .300 win mag or 7mm mag at 2600fps on any hunt or type of animal. I don't shoot a .270 Winchester at that velocity either, so I won't be using Core-Lokts or any other "cup & core" bullet.

I have shot deer with a .35-Whelen at 2500fps and Core-Lokts worked just dandy! On African game I will also use a premium bullet always......they are tuffer species than whitetail deer for a fact. Now if someone is spending $7,000 dollars for a guided elk hunt and wants to use Cup N Core bullets to save 50-cents than so be it but my mother raised a brighter child folks!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't think they are a accurate as premiums but I think they expand kill just fine.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by logcutter

I think "slow" is the key word here with most of the bullets of old.They worked back then and still do, if you don't hot rod them past there intended velocities.Is a 180 grain Corelokt going to work better in a .308 Winchester or a .300 Weatherby or Ultra Mag?

I wouldn't be afraid to use a factory 180 grain Corelokt in my '06 if that was all I had, at 2700 fps.

But yes,I prefer Noslers and am willing to pay the little extra for piece of mind and performance in hunting circumstances that all to often,happen.

But that is Elk talk,not deer..

Jayco

That's pretty much where I'm at too. In the grand scheme of things saving a few cents a bullet when gas, tags, and other expenses are so expensive just doesn't make sense. It's not like I'm going to pay off my house earlier with all that bullet money I saved over the years or anything.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hei DLALLDER
there is nothing wrong 270 WSM for Africa. Maybe 150gr is to small for animals like Gemsbuck, Kudu, or Wildebeest but PH should know better. I take this spring in SA Kudu with 185gr Accubond 100yrds and my friend wildebeest with Norma oryx (similar bullets to Core Loks) 200yrds... Both shots was made with .30-06 and there was no difference...animals was down same place where bullet hit them.
NB! But prepare to make long range shots. In such ranges Core Loks is not the best as bullet drop is huge...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Deer are easy to bring down, premium bullets not necessary IMO. Nothing wrong with them for sure, but not necessary. My son and nephew have killed lots of whitetails and muleys with a 7mm-08 140 gr corelokt.

My thought on it as well.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.