Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I am fairly familiar with revolvers, and like the way a small 5-shot handles.

However, I could carry triple the amount of ammo in a nice 9mm.

For carry, defense, stuffing in a daypack, plinking at coyotes--what are pros/cons of each?

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just about every logical reason favors the 9mm semi-auto. I still prefer my Smith & Wesson M442. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have thoughts like Oregon45, except my favorite is an old Model 10 Smith. Not 5 shot, but light enough for me.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
IMHO, if you need 15 rounds of 9mm, then you've got problems that a handgun probably can't solve.

Jim
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mcknight77
IMHO, if you need 15 rounds of 9mm, then you've got problems that a handgun probably can't solve.

+1.SP101.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Just about every logical reason favors the 9mm semi-auto. I still prefer my Smith & Wesson M442. grin

There - this thread could have gone for 27 pages. For me its a Ruger SP 101 - five shot .38 Special.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So many fail to grasp the very basic concept that perhaps that one of the primary functions of having a higher capacity auto is not to shoot more, but to manipulate less.

Time not spent fiddling with reloading is time spent looking at a threat, looking at your surroundings or coming up with an alternative solution to your problem.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rossi 720 5-shot 44 Special.

2 rounds of CCI snakeshot.
3 rounds of 200 grain Winchester/Olin Silvertip.

JEff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a S&W J-frame more often than I carry my S&W 9mm. Its lighter easier to conceal and just a personal favorite. Im sure you can find some research that most encounters are 2 or 3 shot affairs but thats strictly situational. For me I have 100% confindence in any of my J-frames. It goes bang EVERY single time and right where I want it. I do carry my 5906 more often OC around the property or while hunting in the event we arent seeing anything and we decied to plink. Ive not had a FTF with my 9mm but having had a J-frame type snubby in my inventroy since the beginning Im just more comfortable with it.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Roger that. My 642 carries well & shoots well FOR ME. At self-defense distances, it's going to do what I need to do given the places I generally go.

It's all a personal decision: you've got to be extremely comfortable with YOUR choices.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So what you're saying is slow, deliberate, aimed fire, rather than "spray and pray"?

JEff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
So what you're saying is slow, deliberate, aimed fire, rather than "spray and pray"?

JEff

What a concept! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
So many fail to grasp the very basic concept that perhaps that one of the primary functions of having a higher capacity auto is not to shoot more, but to manipulate less.

Time not spent fiddling with reloading is time spent looking at a threat, looking at your surroundings or coming up with an alternative solution to your problem.

That's the best argument in favor of a semi-auto for concealed carry.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I prefer 5 accurate shots than spraying 15 semi-accurate shots.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats true - and I do think it falls right under all those logical reasons in favor for the autos.

Somehow I think here we are talking not so much the logical, but more so the emotional side of things - those diffuse grounds why one arm stays strapped and the other stays safed...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Five shots for sure beats any number of maybe's. I have a cop friend who says he always hopes the gun-armed bad guy has a semi-auto, and the cheaper the better. One perp's frame cracked and died on the first shot. Another bad guy was overpowered trying to rack the slide, before the first shot, even though the chamber was already loaded, jamming the gun, because that's what he always saw in the movies.

I carry revolvers and semi-auto's, but I never feel under-gunned carrying a revolver. Confidence is key.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

ddj

Here is a cut and paste from a thread I started called "assumptions in regards to handguns". It may provide some entertaining reading for some here:

I prefer a semi auto with a higher capacity if I can get it in a reasonable package. I have no intention of using every round on board but it is available if needed. Plus I may not feel the need to reload in a bad situation quite so soon, if at all. The whole thing about "it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" comes into play.

I have used wheelguns in the past off duty and will continue to do so but you will not see me badmouthing the current crop of autoloaders. In the colder weather months if I am home,I often carry a 4" or 5" .44 in a Milt Sparks belt holster under my jacket. Mostly this is on days I am in the hills or around large livestock.

Carrying a revolver does not automatically make one a cooler head in a fight or a surer shot. That is pure hogwash.Stating that anyone who carries a high cap gun or an auto is in the "spray and pray" crowd shows both a lack of intelligence and a lack of real world experience. I suppose it makes them feel better to be the morally superior handgunner. Every time I say that publicly though it ruffles a lot of feathers.

In fact, other than a very few older(badass)PPC shooters that still work the job, the majority of "on the job" wheelgun users that I have had the opportunity to observe (generally jailers/reservists and such) are notoriously poor shooters.

Their reloading skills are a joke too. THERE IS ONLY ONE JERRY MICULEK. The vastly overwhelming majority of LEOs and non LE citizens can reload a semi auto much faster than a wheelgun. I have been a firearms instructor for 15 years and have seen some flat out scary people with both semi autos and revolvers.

THE POINT OF A HIGH CAPACITY SEMI AUTO IS NOT ABOUT SHOOTING MORE, IT IS ABOUT MANIPULATING LESS. Pause,re read and reflect upon that.

Quite often engagements happen in compressed time frames with multiple targets. This holds true regardless of your location in the world. It is no different in an alley in a suburb of Amman Jordan or the parking lot of the local mall.

Manipulating less due to multiple targets, manipulating less due to an injury, manipulating less due to having a hold of someone else you are responsible for or feel compelled to protect, such as a loved one or principal. The less you have to manipulate gear, the more you can focus on the situation at hand.

I like to see revolvers in law enforcement. My #1 recommendation for a backup gun for new troops, when they ask has been a toss up between a baby Glock and a J frame, with the user determining what he shoots best.

It has been my personal experience in carrying both that the J frame ( I use a 442) is easier to carry, but I shoot substantially better with a baby Glock, as do most people.

Putting CT laser grips on a Jframe enhances my low light shooting ability substantially. The difference was significant.

In short, I use both semi autos and revolvers and will continue to do so. Pick the right tool for the right application.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I will revive that thread. It was in the handguns section.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always answered that question this way:

If some summbich is big enough and nasty enough to get to me with five 44 Specials in his chest, I want the gun he rips out of my hand to be EMPTY!

That semi-fallacious answer aside, I do understand the concept of less manipulation and the facts of multiple adversaries. But I'm just not a pistol guy.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

ddj

Here is a cut and paste from a thread I started called "assumptions in regards to handguns". It may provide some entertaining reading for some here:

I prefer a semi auto with a higher capacity if I can get it in a reasonable package. I have no intention of using every round on board but it is available if needed. Plus I may not feel the need to reload in a bad situation quite so soon, if at all. The whole thing about "it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" comes into play.

I have used wheelguns in the past off duty and will continue to do so but you will not see me badmouthing the current crop of autoloaders. In the colder weather months if I am home,I often carry a 4" or 5" .44 in a Milt Sparks belt holster under my jacket. Mostly this is on days I am in the hills or around large livestock.

Carrying a revolver does not automatically make one a cooler head in a fight or a surer shot. That is pure hogwash.Stating that anyone who carries a high cap gun or an auto is in the "spray and pray" crowd shows both a lack of intelligence and a lack of real world experience. I suppose it makes them feel better to be the morally superior handgunner. Every time I say that publicly though it ruffles a lot of feathers.

In fact, other than a very few older(badass)PPC shooters that still work the job, the majority of "on the job" wheelgun users that I have had the opportunity to observe (generally jailers/reservists and such) are notoriously poor shooters.

Their reloading skills are a joke too. THERE IS ONLY ONE JERRY MICULEK. The vastly overwhelming majority of LEOs and non LE citizens can reload a semi auto much faster than a wheelgun. I have been a firearms instructor for 15 years and have seen some flat out scary people with both semi autos and revolvers.

THE POINT OF A HIGH CAPACITY SEMI AUTO IS NOT ABOUT SHOOTING MORE, IT IS ABOUT MANIPULATING LESS. Pause,re read and reflect upon that.

Quite often engagements happen in compressed time frames with multiple targets. This holds true regardless of your location in the world. It is no different in an alley in a suburb of Amman Jordan or the parking lot of the local mall.

Manipulating less due to multiple targets, manipulating less due to an injury, manipulating less due to having a hold of someone else you are responsible for or feel compelled to protect, such as a loved one or principal. The less you have to manipulate gear, the more you can focus on the situation at hand.

I like to see revolvers in law enforcement. My #1 recommendation for a backup gun for new troops, when they ask has been a toss up between a baby Glock and a J frame, with the user determining what he shoots best.

It has been my personal experience in carrying both that the J frame ( I use a 442) is easier to carry, but I shoot substantially better with a baby Glock, as do most people.

Putting CT laser grips on a Jframe enhances my low light shooting ability substantially. The difference was significant.

In short, I use both semi autos and revolvers and will continue to do so. Pick the right tool for the right application.

Good post!

I was refering to myself. You have never seen me shoot a semi auto. wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,610 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.