Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by NH K9

Unless the threat chooses to engage....

George

And then we resort to the old song lyrics.." if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you are with..."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by NH K9
....or both.

Have before; will again.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
1911 and 642....works in my world.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hard to find a world that combo don't work in, but folks keep trying.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spray and pray thru several 19 round magazines during my shooting sessions...not many misses..Why would I be more accurate with a wheel gun..?

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
But overall we have to remember its the indian, not the arrow. Sure I have my preferences in firearms, ammo, caliber etc but the most important gear I carried was a belief that failure is not an option. That belief and the drive to be proficient regardless of my hardware will be far more important than 9mm vs .45 or anything else we feel like arguing.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I carried a 2.25" SP101 back when I first got a CCW license in Virginia back in 1995.

One day a friend with a Glock 19 was shooting with me. I was doing a little side-by-side comparison regarding size, weight, capacity. I was amazed how much performance is packed into the size/weight of the Glock 19.

Not long after, I unloaded the SP101, in favor of a Glock 17.

That said, The small and light five-shooters do fill a niche of their own.

There is a huge difference between an SP101, and an Airweight Bodyguard, or the lighter scandium models. The SP101 is a heavy/chunky little sucker, not a practical pocket gun in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5? SP101 works for me, though a Ruger can get 'sticky' double action if you don't fully release the trigger forward. I do like them. Below is what I trust my life on. Holds 6, if that won't do, I'd want a Glock 20 SF in 10mm, plenty ammo and power, light, accurate, reliable.

You can get a smaller lighter S&W i.e. model 60 but w/Mag loads, recoil/muzzle jump rises, shot recovery time may suffer.

I can sleep easy w/6 below. Ammo i.e. Fed 125s offer up to 96% one shot stops.....the 145s however can double if you need to say punch a car door, etc.....still gives 85%.

[Linked Image]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

Stats on other rounds are not bad, but my personal confidence is in 357, 10mm, and a 41 w/Silvertips if size/weight were not an issue though I'd not put it before the other 2 for gun bulk and recoil.

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
65BR nice M65 RB3" been looking a while for one of those.. I have a 3" M13 in nickel though. I carry a M60 DAO in a IWB or in the pocket. Haven't seen a 15 shot 9 the same size or I would have it. both my CZ 75 and 40B are considerably larger to pack concealed. A buddy selected a Sig 238 for his CCW, nice gun shoots well and is very concealable, but as I see it will a 380 even take care of a pissed off dog? I practice alot,I hit what I shoot at and it don't take me all day to get it done. Not worried about my abilities with the weapon, more worried about being as aware as I should be of potential situations and staying out of them. Not worried about a carjacking scenario punks don't want 16 year old bent up Toyota 4x4's.Everyone has somewhat different needs, choose well, buy 2,wear one out practicing, be ready for the storm. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hands down, I shoot a semi auto more accurately under rapid fire, than a revolver. Maybe if I shot everyday, that might change, but that's what I go with. I also shoot 1911's more accurately under rapid fire, than any double stack auto I've tried, so I have to make it work with 9 rounds of .45, plus reloads. So I guess call it a compromise.

When I was living in Central California, home invasions seemed to be fairly fashionable; two or three guys would smash their way in and take what they wanted. Oddly, such events are rather uncommon in Texas smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Take this for what it is worth. I have had probably a half-million rounds fired at me, everything from a crossbow to a surface-to-air missile. Literally.

I am not an expert at gunfights, but I have been in gunfights. If I am ever in another one, I will put two heavy slugs into the bad guy's second shirt button, and then I will scan for another bad guy. If there is one, he will also get two heavy slugs in HIS second shirt button. That will leave one heavy slug for a third bad guy - if there is one.

If there is a FOURTH bad guy, I will die. But he will be one scared sonofabitch.

Rocky,

Those are one heck of a lot of assumptions.

No one that I know gets issued a crystal ball to know what the next fight will look like and you don't get to choose.

I really doubt the bad guys are going to be waiting for their turn in line to attack you.

Where you live, you may be on the receiving end of a group of Samoan or Tongan thugs monkey stomping the living crap out of you in a grocery store parking lot so they can get some quick cash for some more meth.

The chances of cooly placing two shots into a shirt button of each and every one of your attackers, while having boots taken to your ribs or being punched in the face are slim to none.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
So really, it is looking like I should have a high cap auto for real defense situations, and just use a revolver for packing around the ranch in the summer?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Take this for what it is worth. I have had probably a half-million rounds fired at me, everything from a crossbow to a surface-to-air missile. Literally.

I am not an expert at gunfights, but I have been in gunfights. If I am ever in another one, I will put two heavy slugs into the bad guy's second shirt button, and then I will scan for another bad guy. If there is one, he will also get two heavy slugs in HIS second shirt button. That will leave one heavy slug for a third bad guy - if there is one.

If there is a FOURTH bad guy, I will die. But he will be one scared sonofabitch.

Wow.

It would be interesting to hear more about the gunfights you've been in.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dakota D: I have been on and over the handgun ferris wheel. I have had more revolvers than semi-autos. From 22 38 357 9m & 44 Mag.

After spending TOO MUCH MONEY, I've seriously trimmed down the handgun inventory. I have a Ruger MkII Target 22, 6 6/78", & S&W 6906 (3rd gen. SS 9mm)

The MkII is scarey accurate, I shoot pretty well but it's capable of outdoing me.

The 6906 is MORE than ACCURATE enough for my purposes. It has 15 round +1up capacity. It's plenty light, short, concealable, & COMFORTING to have.

Both are DEPENDABLE, never had a jam w/good ammo and fill ALL my needs.

ROCKY RAAB, count me IN on your encounters! !

JWALL

VEGETARIAN............Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Wow.

It would be interesting to hear more about the gunfights you've been in.

Shane;

Rocky was a FAC in 'Nam.

He ain't wrapped real tight.... wink

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mcknight77
IMHO, if you need 15 rounds of 9mm, then you've got problems that a handgun probably can't solve.

Yep.

Wheelguns rule.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Look, as you know, grunts ain't exactly "sane".

But any damned fool that'd get up in a LITTLE BITTY, SLOW plane, with no damned armor, or guns, or bombs.... and intentionally fly over enemy turf, to find them and piss them off....

That SOB needs his head examined.

I know what you did/were. Now, imagine doing that in a noisy, slow, unarmed, unarmored single-engine airplane.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VA, Rocky's kind was wrapped tight enough back in the day to save my bacon more'n once. laugh

Might be I've been shot a more than him, but not with a SAM. SAMS were what they used on grownups, not kids like me hoovering around in the tree tops. I heard once that less than 1% of ground fire finds its mark. Brought a chopper back one day with 176 inbound holes. They junked it, I got drunk probably, don't remember the details now.

Anyway, what Rocky said. #4 will be pizzin' his shorts when he takes aim at me. Unless he's number 7. Don't have but one revolver but I'm fairly handy with it and I eschew double taps.

Loosely Wrapped Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For one attacker or target, a .44 or .45 revolver.

For more than one attacker or target, a .45 auto.

� and a crackin'-good crystal ball to tell me which!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,447
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.