Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 110 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 109 110
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
He made that thing, I mean yeah there was a shell of an old car to start with but he changed so much on the car, made the roof, all that wood work framing is finger jointed maple, the dude did it all himself, it's really an amazing build. He really just plain built the car, I mean... chassis, everything, I can't even begin to explain it all.

He emailed me a pic of the interior... oh my god, stunning.

It's on my work computer or i'd post it.

Last edited by northern_dave; 04/25/11.

Something clever here.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by northern_dave

But now the night is pretty well shot, so no car work today.

Its still young enough to have a beer. smile

workin on that.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
He made that thing, I mean yeah there was a shell of an old car to start with but he changed so much on the car, made the roof, all that wood work framing is finger jointed maple, the dude did it all himself, it's really an amazing build. He really just plain built the car, I mean... chassis, everything, I can't even begin to explain it all.

He emailed me a pic of the interior... oh my god, stunning.

It's on my work computer or i'd post it.

you work? i thought all you did was sit around all day drinking beer and thinking up ways to make us jealous of your skills? grin

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That would be a sweet job! Lol!!

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, the car turned out great. Thought it was pretty amazing when it was in pieces.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ok guys, moving along..

I did a little old school metal bumping with the old martin hammer & dolly set tonight.

Straightened this area a little.

Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

Trimmed the edge and step flanged for the quarter skin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little door jamb work and I can hang this quarter skin.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I'm going to make a new goal. To ride in that car, holding Dave's beer, so we can see - er - make sure there's no wheel hop issues or something. Shotgun! Any back seaters?

Wood is Good.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
hail damage on there Dave?

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
No it was old body repair.

The driver's side of the car in the rear quarter had suffered some sort of impact, hard to say if it was a tree, another car hitting this one, maybe this car sliding sideways into something... hard to say what happened 30-35 years ago but the dents on the top of that quarter are old hammer dents.

Metal bumping is truly a bit more of an art than simply pounding out dents. You need a good hammer and dolly set and you have to be sure you support the opposite side of the metal with the dolly with care to NOT strike directly on the dolly.

This is the most common mistake with hammers and dollies. People see the hammer and see the dolly and assume that you line them up directly and bang away to straighten out a panel.

You never want to hear that "ping" noise when striking with the body hammer. If it pings then you are hitting directly on the dolly and you are flattening the sheetmetal between the tools. this results in stretching, which is bad.

You always want to support a low spot with the dolly behind the panel and strike a high spot with the hammer on the outside, this raises the low spot with hand pressure on the dolly and the hammer sinks the high spot.

If you "ping" then you are stretching metal, if you stretch it then it doesn't fit within the area any longer so you will have an area that needs to bulge either in or out.

It gets a little more complicated than that with the selection of hammers and dolly types used but that is the number one rule, never "ping".

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Excellent info Dave. I would have done exactly as you said and line up hammer to dolly.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent info Dave. I would have done exactly as you said and line up hammer to dolly.

I'm learning that my best bet is to line up Dave and the damaged area, cut a check and be done...

Me

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Bad door jamb piece coming out.

[Linked Image]

New piece from donor car trimmed to fit

[Linked Image]

There actually were some cracks in the replacement piece which I think is normal, I welded them up and installed the new plate.

Welded from the back side to try and keep the outside grinding and cleanup down. I still need to get into some of the inside radiuses with a die grinder stone but it's not bad and the door shuts great now.

[Linked Image]

I hung the LH quarter skin tonight also.

I have to finish my wheel house welds, actually I need to do all of my bottom welds, but it's tacked up top, tail pan is welded and door jamb welded. Fits nice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking like a car again, great job you are doing Dave.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looking good there Dave. mind if i ask how much left until the earnest paint stripping and paint work starts? or do you not want to think about that just yet? grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very shortly. I need to pick up a spool of smaller mig wire for these long top side quarter panel weld seams but then my welding will be nearly done. I know I will run into a couple of small patch tasks as i work my way forward on the car with my sanding, but it will be so good to have the back half all welded.

I'll probably be sanding on saturday, if not sooner. (working on removing the rest of the paint)

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds good. i look forward to it. now, go have a beer! grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

Might be a dumb question here but. When you paint are you going to mask the stickers in the door and jambs, so it is still orginal? Or doesn't that matter much?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

Might be a dumb question here but. When you paint are you going to mask the stickers in the door and jambs, so it is still orginal? Or doesn't that matter much?

sounds like a fair question to me too Tom, i was wondering the same thing actually. just a passing thought, but now you have me curious.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good question but in this case, no they have to go. Ratty, worn, overspray from the repaint in 76... They're coming off.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think you can peel them off with a heatgun and iirc they are clear....might be able to restick em on.

Page 29 of 110 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 109 110

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,899
Posts18,518,456
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.