-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That Shooting through and "overpenetration" actually IS a concern with Barnes, even the little ones I use...got to "be sure of your target and beyond.."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Extra tags should come with all Barnes products!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
That Shooting through and "overpenetration" actually IS a concern with Barnes, even the little ones I use...got to "be sure of your target and beyond.."

I'm almost inclined to think that the small

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

That's why I always yell "FORE!" before I shoot at games with a Barnes. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I stopped another TSX last night. Still in the sticks and still can't download pics, but the test medium is pretty rough.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Okay, the "Improved Cartridges" thread was enlightening. What are the disadvantages of X-bullets?

X-bullets or TSX's?

X-bullets threw major fliers for me. MAJOR.

TSX's I've used have been very accurate bullets.

Disadvantages: a generally poor BC which, combined with the fact that they can have expansion issues at lower speeds especially (from the fans: "drive 'em fast!" "they work best when bone is involved!") means they are a poor longer-range bullet. There have been way too many photo-documented examples of poor expansion- even at high impact speeds- to ignore this reality.

The poor BC means they lose speed fast and get moved around by the wind a bunch out at longer ranges. BTDT myself.

They are reputed to overpenetrate to what I'd call a ridiculous degree on thin-skinned game. This wouldn't matter except that it is also reputed to come at the cost of some quick-kill ability, on average, compared to a bullet that fragments some.

They are expensive. Considering how very easy it is to shoot through deer with about any ol' bullet that seems silly to me- to overpay to overpenetrate. whistle

I'm of the belief that there's some real positives to the design, and will be loading them again this year for at least one rifle... but you asked for the negatives, so there's my take on that.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walkin the tight rope or a tiptoe throw the tulips a bit ain't ya!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
They are reputed to overpenetrate

No, they are reputed to penetrate. OVER penetration is a conclusion you've drawn based on that reputation.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, fair enough.

From the virtually unanimous reports on how they work, I conclude that by my definition they WAY overpenetrate on thin-skinned game.

When there's a problem that that kind of penetration solves, then there's our huckleberry. Like for my lever-action timber elk rifle in .325... what better than a TSX?

Generally speaking I'm not seeing the problem that requires such a solution, though, but that's just how I see it and you are free to disagree <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus they come in a DAMN fine box! whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

They are reputed to overpenetrate to what I'd call a ridiculous degree on thin-skinned game. This wouldn't matter except that it is also reputed to come at the cost of some quick-kill ability, on average, compared to a bullet that fragments some.

Dude, ...u've never gunned 'em. We all know ur kill numbers. How can U possibly expect anyone to take ur opinion seriously?

caint make cake outta [bleep]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We can use them here in the fall season. For reasons unknown, we cannot use them in the spring season...hence I have never shot a turkey with a shotgun. smile

I'm thinkin' its for all the Bubba Wannabes that want to ground sluice a bird during mating season, like they see so often on Bubbavision...

No, not in every case.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McCake

Dude, ...u've never gunned 'em. We all know ur kill numbers. How can U possibly expect anyone to take ur opinion seriously?

R u txting? Lol.

I've "gunned" them enough to know the bad BC is real. I've "gunned" enough other bullets to know I don't see a penetration issue with normal bullets- at least not how I "gun" them.

It's a thread about their downsides. Bad BC, pointless overpenetration, and high cost are a few.

The phookin' things certainly have a big upside. Different thread though.

R U paying attention? Lol...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They have seemed to kill more slowly for me on lung shots than other bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by McCake

R U paying attention? Lol...

Yeah, ...been paying attention (as have most) to ur nonsense (note box issues Thread, for one of the many pathetic examples) for more than a while.

PLEASE enlighten/ hang pics on first hand WAY, way OverPenetration experiences (hoping this is gonna be WAY, way better than ur scope mounting pics)...

caint make cake outta [bleep]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
They have seemed to kill more slowly for me on lung shots than other bullets.

Speed them up if possible......in my rifles on deer for instance a .22-250 seems to put them down quicker with lung shots than an .06....they both work of course, but speed kills...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe,

That's because they can't hear it coming... grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm slinging them out at 3200 or better--when put through the lungs they seem to not kill as quickly as a softpoint for me--sample size of 8 or 10 now.

That said, there are certain things Barnes can do that others can't, which is why I keep dabbling with them.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,673
Posts18,513,195
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.