Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Not that there's anything wrong with that. wink

Believe it or not, the only gun that I regret selling is an 870 Express 20 guage with a little 21 inch barrel. I thought the thing was a pile of garbage, but I did some great shooting with it in the field and it was incredibly handy. Made the mistake of showing it to my cousin, and he decided he just had to have it. I regretted selling it immediatley, as it was a gift from my old man and I shouldn't have sold it in the first place. Tried to trade my cousin back out of it, but he likes it too much. At least it went to a good home.

Doesn't change the fact that I think they're garbage compared to a Wingmaster though.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
I happen to like the polychokes.

<SNIP>

They make the shotgun a bit more versatile. No more hitting a dove at 20 yards with a full choke.
They've got these things now called "INTERCHANGEABLE CHOKES." They're threaded and fit flush in the barrel. They're really cool. You should check them out sometime.
unless you want a gun that looks like a donkey dick. i thought they were wwuugly in the 50's when i shot a m.ward 16 ga one shot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've always considered people who shoot shotguns with a poly choke on them to be white trash. No offense.

My uncle can't stand any of them, calls them donkey dicks.

I find your uncle's views fascinating, and would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

He doesn't mind the polychokes as much as the old Cutts Compensator.

I refuse to own a gun with a polychoke. I would probably consider a gun with a Cutts Compensator on it if it was a Winchester 42 and nothing else. Those and gigantic, ugly muzzle brakes always bug the crap out of me.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
my little benelli 20 has personality. when i get lined up on the third shot it missfires. saves me a lot of ammo, but i have to spend the savings on b/p meds. wish i had the money back. i could have 2 lightweight auto 5 20 ga in imp. cyl. one for quail and 1 for dove. i train bird dogs and ur not gonna believe me when i say i kill blue quail with it with low base rem. #6. two #6 will get a blue to 45 yards. you should see my buddies running, cussing, and kicking trying to get a broke wing blue they shot with a high base 12ga 71/2. i usually beat them. i used to be a 12man till i moved here 35 yrs ago and a guy took me for blues. his wife was rolling jacks at 40-50 yards with high base 20ga 6's. you like a 12? chase blues all day in desert sand.

You're talking to someone who thinks a 2 3/4 inch 20 guage is over kill for quail.

Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

I've always considered people who shoot shotguns with a poly choke on them to be white trash. No offense.

I find your uncle's views fascinating, and would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

I refuse to own a gun with a polychoke. I would probably consider a gun with a Cutts Compensator on it if it was a Winchester 42 and nothing else. Those and gigantic, ugly muzzle brakes always bug the crap out of me.

Brian.
It is so easy to have thin walled tubes retrofitted, forcing cones recut, and back-boring done, I've just got to ask why bother with a Polychoke? They are the absolute scourge of firearms accessories, right next to stock compasses and see-through rings.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
its time to experience true quality with life betting reliability from an auto. try an auto 12 some time also.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
sorry, i meant pump mod 12.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Couldn't ever like an A-5, below is as close as I ever got:

[Linked Image]

Now, a Beretta 302/303 on the other hand makes me mighty happy, in particular the 20ga.

Should there ever be a 28ga 391 Beretta I'll kick, fight, scratch, and bribe to get to the front of that list.

Last edited by horse1; 05/18/11.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I moved up from my 870 Wingmaster LW 20 I started shooting dad's A5 he bought new in '72.

When my brother graduated high school dad bought him a new A5.

That was the plan for me as well but when he heard they weren't making them anymore I got mine a year early.

I also had an 870 express 12 I used in the marshes down by Pat and my dad later traded my buddy straight up for an A5 that had all the bluing worn off and the stock was kinda rough looking. He refinished the stock, reblued the metal, cut the stock and added a recoil pad.....it's his go to gun now.

He also picked up Light 20 a few years ago....I'm hoping my 3 month old son ends up with it.

There's Berettas, Benellis and Remingtons in the family too but we like our A5s.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Brian.
It is so easy to have thin walled tubes retrofitted, forcing cones recut, and back-boring done, I've just got to ask why bother with a Polychoke? They are the absolute scourge of firearms accessories, right next to stock compasses and see-through rings.

What are your thoughts on the Polychoke II?

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The only thing I can think of is that people have sentimental attachments to them - a lot of folks grew up shooting a shotgun with a polychoke on it. Thankfully my old man never saddled me with one, mainly because he thought they were pretty awful as well.

And every time I see see-through rings, I think "oh look, a died in wool redneck".

Gigantic carvings of animals and crap on the stock is right up there as well.

Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carbon12

Brian.
What are your thoughts on the Polychoke II?

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm
It's made in the U.S.A. and they're nice people, but that is one ass-ugly device.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine is a pre-war model in 12 ga, that I picked up fairly cheap ($150 in 2002). The buttstock was cut for a crappy recoil pad, which is now hard as a rock, and the forend was badly cracked. It also kicked surprisingly hard.

[Linked Image]

I found another forend, that was a passable match to the buttstock, and added one of the tune up kits that replaces the recoil spring and friction collar. It is now tolerable to shoot, even with turkey loads, and the mod barrel basically patterns like a full choke with modern shotshells. I've carried it for turkeys; haven't got a shot but it should do a real number on them. One of these days it will get a new pad, and maybe I'll look for a barrel with more open choke for dove.

I like them and will someday get a couple more. They definitely exemplify the phrase, "old-fashioned, handcrafted fit & finish". I like modern Beretta shotguns for autoloaders, but a Belgian A5 is indeed a classic.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/18/11. Reason: surfer grammar

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The A5 has always been my favorite shotgun. I have only one now though.
This one was a gift from one of my Wife's brothers. He asked in a phone conversation many years back, if I would like an old shotgun. Without asking about it, I said 'sure'. Week later, it showed up in the mail. A5 Magnum 12 GA, with the most beautiful wood ever. He bought two of these from a Canadian company, when he was going to the Culinary Institute in New York.
Special gun evidently. When FN computerized their inventory, they found enough parts to make about 50 more A5s in Belgium. The manufacture had already been going on in Japan for several years.
The gun as I received it, had a 30 inch full choke vent rib barrel. Since I could not shoot steel shot with that barrel, I ordered a Hastings 26 inch barrel with choke tubes. That is what I use now for all my water fowl hunting, and most of my Turkey hunting.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don't shoot plastic shotguns. I've got a belgian 16, and a 12-gauge Remington Model 11. Combined with various Model 37's, I'm a happy camper.

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Special gun evidently. When FN computerized their inventory, they found enough parts to make about 50 more A5s in Belgium. The manufacture had already been going on in Japan for several years.

I may very well be wrong, but it was my understanding that the A5 was never built in Japan. They were origanally built in Belgium, and then when Browning started trying to cut costs they were made in Belgium but assembled in Portugal. I do recall the story about them finding the parts and building a small batch of A5's with them though.

BTW, that's a goregous gun.

Brian.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hope I'm not breaking any rules or unsaid tabboos, but I own the exact same A5 as the one seen below. It's *much* too nice for anywhere I hunt, so it's never been outside. Mine has never been fired. Totally NIB mint. Almost 25 years now it has sat cased. The wood on mine is noticeably nicer than the one pictured (though that is obviously a personal opinion).

Has original DU case (albeit cheapo plastic hard side) and original manual. I've seen them--the exact shotgun I have-- sold for as much as $2300 on GB and GA. I'm sure you can find a value somewhere that's legit (anyone?), but I've never bothered, honestly.

To anyone on the 'fire who wants it, and *buys intending to use and not sell to make money flipping it immediately*, I'll sell for $1500 shipped. To anyone who sends me something good to eat from their locale with payment--and it arrives unspoiled--I'll knock off a c-note and do it for $1400 shipped. To anyone on the good guy list, I'll send it over to inspect *before* payment.

Again, if this is bad form, please lemme' know and I'll delete. I don't have any pics handy, but can take them, of course. I wish I had the balls to hunt it, but it'd be the kiss of death for a salty marsh stomper like myself to kill this thing so cruelly.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/90904108...ary_Ducks_Unlimited_A_5_Light_12_NIC.htm

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brian,
Later A5s were built in Japan. I believe you're thinking of some of the others....BAR for example.

And yes, Sam, beautiful gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love to see pics Kamo!

Mannlicher, that's a beautiful gun.

I grew up hunting a magnum 20 Belgian A-5. Still have it, but dont hunt it much anymore. It's in pretty nice shape, but still, I should take it out more.

Kilt my first grouse and squirrel with it!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I brought one home once. The six Model 12s and the two 870s in the safe all ganged up on it and deported the ugly bastard out to the dog kennel. The dog peed on it.

I have always had problems with semi auto guns. They cycle so slow I wind up taking it down from my shoulder and looking at the all that crap moving by itself. The A5 with the whole barrel moving too is just that mush worse. I don't see how anyone shoots them, and that doesn't begin to address being seen with something that ugly in your hand.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,397
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.