Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
What happened to the collection to send Swampy on an African Lion trip with his 30-06 700 and factory reduced recoil loads ?

I'll help with the bacon vest....

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What happened to the collection to send Swampy on an African Lion trip with his 30-06 700 and factory reduced recoil loads ?

I doubt that will happen. The poor lad crowns just hunting whitetails.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many lions have fallen to cartriges much less powerful than the .30-06. The 7.62X39 and the .303 have probably taken more that all other cartridges combined. They aren't hard to kill.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't own nor have I ever owned a Ford Focus. Remington makes the best firearms in the world for a reasonable price. Yo can't say that about all American products, but we do make the very best firearms.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry about Focus was mistaken by picture from the fire but for the rest of your saying i was sure that only Remington was good american maker. You spend time calling other products bad. So if Remington is the best American gun maker as you claim, i'm sorry to desagree with you: american firearms are no more the best in the world.
You better open your eyes, do a bit more testing and try other products.
I'm not the only one on this forum to think the same, even if it's makes me right there surely a small part of true in that way of thinking.
Have a beer for me, i'm going to the range to zero the awful, inaccurate bunch of scrap that the new 70 Safari 375HH is. Made by a foreign company in the USA by US workers....

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a 5 shot 100yrd group I got out of a recent production Remington MILSPEC 5R .308WIN with my handloads. The only things that aren't stock are a Jewell trigger that was added and I put a different HS stock on it. The HS that comes with it didn't fit me very well. IMO, the MILSPEC 5R is a damn fine bargin at $950.

I'm pretty happy with Remington right now. smile

[Linked Image]

TheDude, sometimes a dog gets out from time to time, we all know that, but I think on average Remington is doing a great job these day's. Certainly much better than in years past. I wish you all the best and hope your problem is fixed to your satisfaction.

Terry

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I'll help with the bacon vest....

laugh TFF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
TC1: I gots to know...

Have you shot your Mini-Mauser.....?????? blush

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I'll stick with my $350.00 rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. Piss away money on foreign made junk (yes FN is foreign)if you like.

signature line refers, but pictures, particularly when furnished by the victim, makes it so much more fun to ridicule..

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

TC1: I gots to know...

Have you shot your Mini-Mauser.....??????

Yeah, I've had it out 3 times now. I haven't hunted it yet but that time is coming soon. I ran into a guy at the gun club that has a nuisance permit for 85 doe and wants me to help. I plan on using it for that.

On the mini mauser accuracy, I'm getting about MOA at 100 yards. I think the rifle is capabile of better but it only has a 2.5 power heavy reticle scope on it which handicaps it a little in my hands.

The rifle is becoming a celiberty of sorts crazy. It made the cover of ACGG winter issue this year. Brownells wants to use it in a new calender they're coming out with. Maybe it'll be miss July smile and Tom Turpin say's it'll be in the next Guns Digest (2012 issue.)

Terry

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat will be no problemo...either on the MOA or the scope...thats good shootin' with that combo!

Nice to see it will be hunted... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah, if you can't use it, it's not worth having.

Terry

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'll stick with my $350.00 rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. Piss away money on foreign made junk (yes FN is foreign)if you like.

signature line refers, but pictures, particularly when furnished by the victim, makes it so much more fun to ridicule..

[Linked Image]

OMG everytime I see that image i start laughing uncontrollably ROTFLMFAO it's [bleep] priceless

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Remington makes the best firearms in the world for a reasonable price. Yo can't say that about all American products, but we do make the very best firearms.
The Germans,Czeck's and Finn's might hotly contest that statement and after owning several firearms from each as well as many Remington's, I'd have to agree with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, folks are lined up to buy a REMINGTON 1903A3 over a K98, Persian or numerous South/Central American 98 Mausers.

Swampy, AS ALWAYS, cannot seem to explain why the builder of the finest dangerous game rifles in the world are still using Mausers.

Foreign is not bad, just different. Seems like the reality of a world economy escaped Swampy (along with the Serbian, Russian and Turkish "REMINGTONS".)

How much would that Lion safari set us back ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waste of good bacon.

My approach to shortening screws, is to run 'em through a wee piece of scrap steel that's already been drilled/tapped, then scuff off the protrudin' excess with a Dremel tool.

Sometimes a bottom tap will clean out the offendin' tapped hole, if the "proper" screw bottoms out a bit short of where it needs to be?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah, folks are lined up to buy a REMINGTON 1903A3 over a K98, Persian or numerous South/Central American 98 Mausers.

Swampy, AS ALWAYS, cannot seem to explain why the builder of the finest dangerous game rifles in the world are still using Mausers.

Foreign is not bad, just different. Seems like the reality of a world economy escaped Swampy (along with the Serbian, Russian and Turkish "REMINGTONS".)

How much would that Lion safari set us back ?

Money well spent no matter the cost

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

That's the funniest thing I've seen in about a month. grin

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Swampy your right about Sako's not being made here but I don't think I would call it pissing away money if someone buys one. I shot all these groups Tuesday morning (05-17-11) and have a question for you. How come the Remington could not groups as well as the Sako's? All 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Dots are one inch.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by DINK; 05/21/11. Reason: Distance and dot size
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Okay, here's the scoop, the front action screw doesn't have to be drilled all the way through. It serves no purpose when the barrel shank is in the way. The picture below is a Savage Precision Target Action:

[Linked Image]

Note that the Weaver base is a tad too long and the screw Weaver supplied is deeper than the receiver threads. The screw has to be shortened or it will bottom out on the barrel threads and not clamp the base down, but it will bugger the barrel threads. Buggering the barrel threads will make the barrel harder to remove and can damage the receiver threads when it is removed.

In the photo below, we see that the screw has been shortened just enough to clear the threads when it is set to 22 - 25 in.-lbs. torque. If the front action screw hole is drilled just short of the barrel shank thread diameter, as in the Remington, then a long screw can't bottom on the barrel threads causing problems. Thus there is no need to drill the hole through the receiver, but there is a need to fit the screw, regardless of how the hole is drilled.

[Linked Image]

The base was also shortened so as not to interfere with the recoil lug. In some actions, the rear screws may also have to be shortened so as not to interfere with the bolt.

Scope mount manufacturers use generic length screws as it is nearly impossible to provide custom screws for every action. Mounting bases is a job that almost always requires some degree of fitting, it is not as simple a job as it first appears.

If the bolt won't open or close on a Remington action loosen the trigger guard screws beginning with the front one. If that fixes it, then shorten the screw slightly until the bolt is free when the screw is tight.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.