Home
I finally located a Left handed Remington 700 XCR, this one is in 30-06.
I have wanted to try one out for a while and the one I received a couple months ago, has one of the smoothest actions I have ever felt.

when I went to mount some Talley LW's I noticed the front hole in the receiver (closest to the barrel) was not drilled all the way through and the screws that came with the rings would not tighten the bases down all the way.

I looked at a couple other 700 receivers and this was not the norm.

I called Remington who advised I should send it in for repair.

I just got it back yesterday and the bolt wont close so, I called Remington again.

By now i'm a little frustrated because the first guy I talked to told me it is most likely the bolt isn't cocked and if I do this it will most likely close and then rushed me off the phone. Well, the bolt WAS cocked but I messed with it a bit to make sure and then called them back.

The next guy told me on the XCR's they intentionally do not tap the front hole all the way through because the metal coating they use will get into the threads and you will never get the barrel off in the future.

I said fine, sounds reasonable but why is it STILL not tapped all the way through, the coating is already on. Furthermore, the Talley's STILL wont screw all the way down AND now the bolt wont close.

I have pretty much had it with this rifle already. I asked them to send me a pre-paid shipping label since I already paid for shipping once and have the same problem PLUS a new one.

I will send this thing back once more, get if right and sell the damn thing on principle, I've never had any issues like this with any of my other rifles but the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Remington and their QA. Hell, more than just their QA, I question their competency. How could they send this back to me from the factory like this!?!

Ok, rant over....if you made it to this point. Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Josh
Happens often just shorten the front screw so it will tighten down. I have had several that way.Don't send it in,this is very easy to fix.
Get in touch with Swampy, he'll explain how it's all your fault because you didn't grind down the Talley screws. Wait till you tighten up the front receiver screw and it locks the bolt closed.
700 =s POS

You could buy this for the same $, have an all steel rifle, with a French walnut stock, a real extractor and , oh yeah, the scope mounts go right on.

My southpaw friend switched to a RH rifle because it was actually faster to cycle with a scope installed!

[Linked Image]
I too have an XCR LRT in to get that front hole drilled and tapped properly. From the unfinished nature of the threads in the front hole, but finished threads in the three others, it was clear the front hole was drilled/tapped later. The probability is that they didn't want to drill into the barrel threads.

My XCR Compact Tactical was done properly from the get go, so I think the story they gave you doesn't hold water. I hope I don't have to deal with a load of bullshit over my LRT.
Happens often just shorten the front screw so it will tighten down.

I wanted the full thread engagement.
It doesn't have to be tapped through to be good........ This is not a big problem ,unless you don't have enough threads to even work with.
Not a big deal, I don't think I have ever owned a 700 that didn't need the front screw filed or ground down.
As above, when scoping many Rem's long ago, I had to work the screw down on a wetstone.

Funny though, NEVER had that issue come up w/any other rifles that I can recall. It's just the way Rem does things.....as many other ways......they resist change.

That fact is why there are SOOOO many aftermarket parts. ALOT of room for improvement in bolts, triggers, barrels. True many average shooters won't know or care until they have a complete failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject.

700s offer entertainment to tinkerer's who want to 'fix' what left the factory not done right.

Lastly, once all screws are snug/torqued, be sure to run your finger thru the inside of the action and feel if any of the four screws protrude. If so, they must be shortened just enough or that material that is proud will interfere with bolt functioning.

Good luck.
Mine is the first problem one in about fifteen.
Quality control has gone down hill at Remington. Of course the last Remington Rifle I bought was a left handed BDL in 270 in the 80s. That and it's right handed twin (which I bought in the 70s) have both been flawless from the first day. I recently bought an XCR II in 375 H&H and the bolt would barely close on Remington factory cartridges. Turned out the extractor was too big. My gunsmith is installing a Sako extractor (an upgrade) as well as welding on the bolt handle (I hear they have a habit of coming off on the newer 700s which would be a problem for me since I'm hunting brown bear this Sept). I decided to have it rechambered to 375 Weatherby while he was as it.

Anyway, the rifle will be sweet when I get it back, but it's the last Remington rifle I will ever buy, and I've been a Remington fan for 40 years
Few things are more dangerous than the Sako extractor mod. Thanks for not buying any more Remington to booger up. More for me.
I think some of you may have missed the spirit of my post. Not a big deal to have a send a firearm back to the factory right out of the box, I've had to do it one other time, $hit happens.

My issue is with the fact that it came back from repair with not only the original problem it was sent in for un addressed, but now it has another problem.

There is just no excuse for that. I will send this one in, get back to the way it should have been when it left the factory and then sell it.

If you guys dont mind filing down screws, replacing extractors, welding on bolt handles etc....good on you. Not my glass of beer.

Over the last 25 years i've owned several dozen rifles and a dozen or two revolvers. I've never sent something back to the factory that came back worse than when I sent it in.

You can have your 700's...this one is for sale by the way, if you like em that much, here ya go..

Josh
I have to have an accurate rifle, so I'll stick with the Model 700. Please keep selling them as I only buy 2nd hand.
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Few things are more dangerous than the Sako extractor mod. Thanks for not buying any more Remington to booger up. More for me.

I guess I'll take Kevin Weaver's (weaver rifles) opinion over yours Swampy ... just sayin ...
Just make sure none of your loved ones are nearby when you shoot it.
Drill it deeper and tap it.
This sure is odd stuff....

I have adopted a standard rule when it comes to factory rifles and "flaws"......

NEVER send it back to the factory for repair....they know how to "make" rifles according to a scripted formula.....but they do not know how to "fix" them...

If you like the rifle, bring it to a good smith for proper repair/modification.....if it pisses you off....sell it as fast as you can, even at a loss.

Life is WAY too short, range time too valuable, and components too expensive, to spend on a POS. mad
It's deep enough already. The screw is wrong.
Originally Posted by 65BR
As above, when scoping many Rem's long ago, I had to work the screw down on a wetstone.

Funny though, NEVER had that issue come up w/any other rifles that I can recall. It's just the way Rem does things.....as many other ways......they resist change.

That fact is why there are SOOOO many aftermarket parts. ALOT of room for improvement in bolts, triggers, barrels. True many average shooters won't know or care until they have a complete failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject.

700s offer entertainment to tinkerer's who want to 'fix' what left the factory not done right.

Lastly, once all screws are snug/torqued, be sure to run your finger thru the inside of the action and feel if any of the four screws protrude. If so, they must be shortened just enough or that material that is proud will interfere with bolt functioning.

Good luck.

That's why when you want a flawless rifle that shoots 2x as good as a remington you buy a Sako or even the new generation Model 70. If you want Sako accuracy or even a tad better and can live with plastic you buy a Tikka.

If you want to throw away money or have a project in mind buy a Remington.

Not in my opinion. If its deep enough, then why are the other screw holes deeper and the other screws longer? I'll not risk it while elk hunting this year, its just to much hard work to not have confidence in my gear.
If I hunted from the truck or a stand not far from my truck, so what....I don't.
Again....this rifle is for sale, PM with your offer.

I'll stick with my $350.00 rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. Piss away money on foreign made junk (yes FN is foreign)if you like.
I'll stick with my $350.00 rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. Piss away money on foreign made junk (yes FN is foreign)if you like.

Show me the mythical masking tape 1/2" groups you routinely get. A well travelled fellow that buys what 4-5 Remington 700's a month must have a mountain of well shot up targets to show us.
I have a factory 700 that'll shoot a half inch 3 shot group at 100 yards...... And I've got two others that wont grin And I hunt the pizz out of all of em wink
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
I have a factory 700 that'll shoot a half inch 3 shot group at 100 yards...... And I've got two others that wont grin And I hunt the pizz out of all of em wink

Had the same situation one would be a legit sometimes under an 1" gun and the rest had to be restocked in glass and played with to get close to that. We must be doing something wrong since a particular Florida gunowner has gotten 1/2 from each and every remington he has owned. He must be special
As in "Special Ed..."
Hell all of mine kill game. Im happy.
Game....?

You mean we are actually supposed to go hunting ..? shocked

Eeeeewwwwwwww!
Not all of us poobah..... some commandos have to man the armchairs....
dats where I come in..... grin
The armchair is a great place for old dudes.... whistle
Dat was mean....borderline elderly abuse..... frown
Ingwe ain't old.................................just slow wink
Hell the overweight, the colored and the mentally challenged have already got it today..... why not the geritoliatric?
After owning in excess of 30 Mausers, I have yet to have a bolt handle break off, an extractor rip out or any metallic or scope mounting screw holes needing to be rebuilt.

Heck the Marlin XL/XS is a less expensive, more accurate and overall better rifle than any non custom shop 700.

My "new to me" Browning Safari pre salt FN actioned 30-06 arrived at the gunshop today. Cost no more than a 700 and I'll post lots of pics so even Swampy can see what a quality rifle is. (and it is APPRECIATING)

Interesting to note that EVERY Holland & Holland bolt action rifle I viewed recently in their NYC Gun Room, was built on a Mauser action. These rifles go out among animals that fight back. Does anyone really think H&H could not buy 700 actions were they so great ?

Does anyone really believe Swampy has ever shot anything more threatening than a Whitetail ?
Larry....FOAD
While antique designs are novel they simply aren't accurate enough to be interesting.
[quote=goodiewrench

Does anyone really believe Swampy has ever shot anything more threatening than a Whitetail ? [/quote]

He might have shot a cottontail maybe and the infamous azz shot 8 year old Dink.
What happened to the collection to send Swampy on an African Lion trip with his 30-06 700 and factory reduced recoil loads ?
Originally Posted by ingwe
Larry....FOAD

Woah... did you just defend Swampy? eek
Hi Swampman
What foreign mean in the XXI century era? If i recall well some of the best firearms and most loved by your soldiers fighting for you are made by foreign companys: Minimi, Mag, Scar, HKmp5, AT4, Berettas and others...

But they are made in the US by US workers as the new model 70 is. Don't you know that Remington is buying lots of things outside your borders even in that poor old Europe and even in Turkey, Russia or Serbia.
Swampy you can be american, european or whatever, today the only winners are the bankers and financial funds that [bleep] us and sell us more ssshittt to makes more money!

If i remember well i saw you drive Ford Focus: most of parts come from Europe or Mexico or Canada. Do you handload Swampy, yes for sure: so look at most of your rifle powders: they come from Canada, Australia, Europe except the Olin brand. Foreign does'nt mean a clue in our world when it comes to buying something man made!
Have a good weekend dear Swampman, ride your Harley ( the renew of that company come with a motor designed by foreigners)shoot Remington and have a beer for the foreigners...
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
What happened to the collection to send Swampy on an African Lion trip with his 30-06 700 and factory reduced recoil loads ?

I'll help with the bacon vest....

I doubt that will happen. The poor lad crowns just hunting whitetails.
Many lions have fallen to cartriges much less powerful than the .30-06. The 7.62X39 and the .303 have probably taken more that all other cartridges combined. They aren't hard to kill.
I don't own nor have I ever owned a Ford Focus. Remington makes the best firearms in the world for a reasonable price. Yo can't say that about all American products, but we do make the very best firearms.
Sorry about Focus was mistaken by picture from the fire but for the rest of your saying i was sure that only Remington was good american maker. You spend time calling other products bad. So if Remington is the best American gun maker as you claim, i'm sorry to desagree with you: american firearms are no more the best in the world.
You better open your eyes, do a bit more testing and try other products.
I'm not the only one on this forum to think the same, even if it's makes me right there surely a small part of true in that way of thinking.
Have a beer for me, i'm going to the range to zero the awful, inaccurate bunch of scrap that the new 70 Safari 375HH is. Made by a foreign company in the USA by US workers....
That's a 5 shot 100yrd group I got out of a recent production Remington MILSPEC 5R .308WIN with my handloads. The only things that aren't stock are a Jewell trigger that was added and I put a different HS stock on it. The HS that comes with it didn't fit me very well. IMO, the MILSPEC 5R is a damn fine bargin at $950.

I'm pretty happy with Remington right now. smile

[Linked Image]

TheDude, sometimes a dog gets out from time to time, we all know that, but I think on average Remington is doing a great job these day's. Certainly much better than in years past. I wish you all the best and hope your problem is fixed to your satisfaction.

Terry
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I'll help with the bacon vest....

laugh TFF
TC1: I gots to know...

Have you shot your Mini-Mauser.....?????? blush

signature line refers, but pictures, particularly when furnished by the victim, makes it so much more fun to ridicule..

[Linked Image]

TC1: I gots to know...

Have you shot your Mini-Mauser.....??????

Yeah, I've had it out 3 times now. I haven't hunted it yet but that time is coming soon. I ran into a guy at the gun club that has a nuisance permit for 85 doe and wants me to help. I plan on using it for that.

On the mini mauser accuracy, I'm getting about MOA at 100 yards. I think the rifle is capabile of better but it only has a 2.5 power heavy reticle scope on it which handicaps it a little in my hands.

The rifle is becoming a celiberty of sorts crazy. It made the cover of ACGG winter issue this year. Brownells wants to use it in a new calender they're coming out with. Maybe it'll be miss July smile and Tom Turpin say's it'll be in the next Guns Digest (2012 issue.)

Terry
Dat will be no problemo...either on the MOA or the scope...thats good shootin' with that combo!

Nice to see it will be hunted... grin
Oh yeah, if you can't use it, it's not worth having.

Terry
Originally Posted by jorgeI

signature line refers, but pictures, particularly when furnished by the victim, makes it so much more fun to ridicule..

[Linked Image]

OMG everytime I see that image i start laughing uncontrollably ROTFLMFAO it's [bleep] priceless
Remington makes the best firearms in the world for a reasonable price. Yo can't say that about all American products, but we do make the very best firearms.
The Germans,Czeck's and Finn's might hotly contest that statement and after owning several firearms from each as well as many Remington's, I'd have to agree with them.
Yeah, folks are lined up to buy a REMINGTON 1903A3 over a K98, Persian or numerous South/Central American 98 Mausers.

Swampy, AS ALWAYS, cannot seem to explain why the builder of the finest dangerous game rifles in the world are still using Mausers.

Foreign is not bad, just different. Seems like the reality of a world economy escaped Swampy (along with the Serbian, Russian and Turkish "REMINGTONS".)

How much would that Lion safari set us back ?
Waste of good bacon.

My approach to shortening screws, is to run 'em through a wee piece of scrap steel that's already been drilled/tapped, then scuff off the protrudin' excess with a Dremel tool.

Sometimes a bottom tap will clean out the offendin' tapped hole, if the "proper" screw bottoms out a bit short of where it needs to be?
Yeah, folks are lined up to buy a REMINGTON 1903A3 over a K98, Persian or numerous South/Central American 98 Mausers.

Swampy, AS ALWAYS, cannot seem to explain why the builder of the finest dangerous game rifles in the world are still using Mausers.

Foreign is not bad, just different. Seems like the reality of a world economy escaped Swampy (along with the Serbian, Russian and Turkish "REMINGTONS".)

How much would that Lion safari set us back ?

Money well spent no matter the cost

[Linked Image]

That's the funniest thing I've seen in about a month. grin

Swampy your right about Sako's not being made here but I don't think I would call it pissing away money if someone buys one. I shot all these groups Tuesday morning (05-17-11) and have a question for you. How come the Remington could not groups as well as the Sako's? All 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Dots are one inch.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]
Okay, here's the scoop, the front action screw doesn't have to be drilled all the way through. It serves no purpose when the barrel shank is in the way. The picture below is a Savage Precision Target Action:

[Linked Image]

Note that the Weaver base is a tad too long and the screw Weaver supplied is deeper than the receiver threads. The screw has to be shortened or it will bottom out on the barrel threads and not clamp the base down, but it will bugger the barrel threads. Buggering the barrel threads will make the barrel harder to remove and can damage the receiver threads when it is removed.

In the photo below, we see that the screw has been shortened just enough to clear the threads when it is set to 22 - 25 in.-lbs. torque. If the front action screw hole is drilled just short of the barrel shank thread diameter, as in the Remington, then a long screw can't bottom on the barrel threads causing problems. Thus there is no need to drill the hole through the receiver, but there is a need to fit the screw, regardless of how the hole is drilled.

[Linked Image]

The base was also shortened so as not to interfere with the recoil lug. In some actions, the rear screws may also have to be shortened so as not to interfere with the bolt.

Scope mount manufacturers use generic length screws as it is nearly impossible to provide custom screws for every action. Mounting bases is a job that almost always requires some degree of fitting, it is not as simple a job as it first appears.

If the bolt won't open or close on a Remington action loosen the trigger guard screws beginning with the front one. If that fixes it, then shorten the screw slightly until the bolt is free when the screw is tight.
If the Sako with a walnut stock cost less than $500.00 it might be worth considering. I still wouldn't.
Originally Posted by DINK

You are lucky. My M700 .30-06 shoots like that on a GOOD day.
Once again it's not the rifle.
Wrangler John is right on the money. I have a Brownell's grinding tool, made just for the purpose of shortening base mount screws - screw in the "too long" screw, hold it on a wheel to shorten a few threads, and unscrew - dresses the thread when you unscrew it (you don't need the tool, just a file or a grinding wheel, or grinding bit on a Dremel). A screw develops its maximum holding power when the threaded portion of the stud is as long as it's width - any longer gains no greater amount of hold.

My thoughts exactly when looking at your targets.
I do shoot better than anyone I know.
I believe that.
I just snotted my keyboard! Damn.
If the Sako with a walnut stock cost less than $500.00 it might be worth considering. I still wouldn't.

SwampTroll,

For that money - sure......it's called a T3, Sako bbl, Sako Accuracy, great trigger, no ADs or broken parts to worry about....

I have been wondering where Swampnipples came from, birth, hatched and then something my Grandmother used to say..."A crow crapped him on a fence post!"...yep that's it and explains so much.
And no metal parts to worry about. It's the 710 of foreign made rifles.

You are a stupid man. Funny but stupid...

Dink
And no metal parts to worry about. It's the 710 of foreign made rifles.

Yes, siree, the 710, crapped on a fence post, just like you.

Wrangler John,

You were dead on, I loosened the action screws and the bolt slid right in...sweet! This rifle will be listed for sale tonight since the general consensus is there is nothing wrong with it. Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it...even you swampy grin

You might be right [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
All this over a self inflicted issue. I'm always right....
Originally Posted by sactoller
I have been wondering where Swampnipples came from, birth, hatched and then something my Grandmother used to say..."A crow crapped him on a fence post!"...yep that's it and explains so much.

funny.,

you reminded me of how my Dad used to say "2 buzzards were flying backwards and bumped butts and "insert name" fell out."
Two guys bumped butts and you guys waited to be next.

Swampy is probably correct here, if you have the depth in the screw hole that equals or exceeds the diameter of the screw shank that is all the strength the screw will have anyway.
Yep Wrangler John was spot on, I missed his post.
Originally Posted by raybass

Swampy is probably correct here, if you have the depth in the screw hole that equals or exceeds the diameter of the screw shank that is all the strength the screw will have anyway.

Assuming the metal in the female threads is as strong or stronger than the screw metal. If it's softer/weaker, there is an advantage in having more threads in a deeper hole.
Yep. wink
Originally Posted by TheDude
Wrangler John,

You were dead on, I loosened the action screws and the bolt slid right in...sweet! This rifle will be listed for sale tonight since the general consensus is there is nothing wrong with it. Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it...even you swampy grin

That's because over 50 years of fiddling with rifles, I already screwed up everything possible. Happy it helped you.
Many lions have fallen to cartriges much less powerful than the .30-06. The 7.62X39 and the .303 have probably taken more that all other cartridges combined. They aren't hard to kill.

Must of had one of them Sako extractors installed
Rem 700 has more aftermarket gadgets and more ways to "fix" it than any gun in history. Could be so many are out there. Could mean there are that many ways it needs fixing...

Seriously, the round bodied 700 action designed by Mike Walker and company in the late '40's (model 722/721) was a revolutionary step in cost cutting, mass production technology. As a rather simple, round bodied action, it lends itself to gunsmithing like no other. Even "bubba-smithing" for lack of a better word. Some great rifles have resulted and for that we are all grateful.

Now, Swampy's version of all this and life in general is another matter...
Originally Posted by mathman
Happens often just shorten the front screw so it will tighten down.

I wanted the full thread engagement.

All the thread depth you need is 1.5 times the diameter of the screw. If you have good threads in the receiver and on the screw. Just take alittle off the length of the screw.
If you want to sell the POS Remington I will give you $250 for it.
It's also the most copied action out there too. How many copies are there of the "Rifleman's Rifle" action are there ? One ? Two ?
It's copied so much because it is very successful. Check out bench rest results around the country and see how many rem 700's are in the top spots or clones. The results tell why the rem 700 is so popular.Winchester model 70's are great rifles ,but do not run with the rem 700 in the accuracy department.
The problem here is so small it is simple to fix. Every time I scope a rem 700 I put the front base on, and right away see if the front screw tightens the base down or bottoms out. If it doesn't tighten the base down and bottoms out I shorten it slighty and it's done fixed never a problem again.I have not had any troubles once I just shorten the screw. I have had to do this many times with weatherby's too.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
It's also the most copied action out there too. How many copies are there of the "Rifleman's Rifle" action are there ? One ? Two ?

Simple tube...no CNC machining..doesn't get much simpler.
Originally Posted by highridge1
It's copied so much because it is very successful. Check out bench rest results around the country and see how many rem 700's are in the top spots or clones. The results tell why the rem 700 is so popular.Winchester model 70's are great rifles ,but do not run with the rem 700 in the accuracy department.

I've never seen a rifle purpose built for accuracy built off a mod 70 action.
Don't really have a beef with Remington's, but I don't own any for myself. The wife has two because they fit her better than any other firearms. A Model 7 and a 870 Lightweight Limited. I was surprised with the model 7, the trigger was not that bad and eventually I found loads it liked. The only guns I have owned that are good to go right out of the box have been Sako, Steyr, and Tikka. Also have a CZ 550 that was accurate but took awhile for the action to smooth up. All will shoot MOA or better, and I did not spend a dime on aftermarket parts. To me Remington 700's are like the Ruger 10/22, you can make them into whatever your wallet is willing to spend. Rather than have to spend money on a brand new rifle I would rather spend it hunting.

I've never seen a rifle purpose built for accuracy built off a mod 70 action.

Get both actions properly built with the same quality barrels and there will be no difference whatsoever other then the M70 costs more to make. The 700 is an exercise in cost cutting and lighter.
For those that follow this thread, here is a tip. I use the Brownell's Screw Checker/Shortening Jig. They cost $9.00 plus postage. When an especially short screw is needed, one of these is set up to produce the proper length so it can be repeated without hassle. Because I build new rifles on the Savage Precision target action (a new obsession) one was made to produce the action ring front base screw.

The screw needed is .194" long measured from the head. With hands like shoe boxes, I can't hold them. The jig is too thick to cut the screw short enough, so I countersunk one side until the finished screw was .194". See the photos below:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I can just tighten the screw in the jig, place the jig in the bench vice and strike off the excess with a single cut bastard file. I use files to do most work, to avoid heating the metal. For $9 and postage I have a jig that will spit out a proper screw for the action every time.

For those that dislike Remington rifles/actions, the criticism is overstated. The Remington action is copied by every custom action manufacturer. Shilen's new DGR and DGV actions are advertised with the statement, "These actions feature a footprint similar to the Remington Model 700 and will accept many aftermarket components." They also use a Savage type barrel nut and floating bolt head for easy swapping. Others that clone the Remington action are Stiller Precision, Borden Rifles, Lawton, Pierce Engineering and others. Most of the custom actions on the market accept Remington style triggers such as the Jewel.

One of my Remington 700 actions was "blueprinted" by Greg Tannel, barreled with a Schneider barrel, and will shoot .250" groups reliably (if I were as good). My next project will be a new Remington action equipped with a double pinned recoil lug and barreled with a Pac-Nor barrel and barrel nut so barrels can be swapped. Remington bolts can be modified to accept Savage bolt heads so they become an experimenters tool. The Remington platform is just about as flexible as any ever devised.
Thank God WranglerJohn injected some reality into this thread.

I probably mount an average of a scope a week during a year, and have to shorten base screws on 10-20% of those, on all sorts of actions.
Some may disagree, but I think Sako and Ruger were on to something with their scope mount system...simpler..and perhaps a hedge against Murpy's law. Maybe less flexibility in mount choices vs. durability perhaps, but most owners claim they hold up well in the field.

As to Rem's accuracy, no doubt some shoot great, and worked over they are good. The 'Custom 700 footprint' actions are similar, but I think most if not all have a different extractor.

When one figures the cost of a blue printed Rem - the price of a custom is not so distant, and perhaps a better investment.

Accuracy is very important to me, but so is having equipment that is the least prone to failure. Why those who choose fixed vs. variable scopes do so - to hedge against Murphy.

Most mass produced rifles today with good ammo + optics, can outshoot their owners in field conditions, factoring in holding steady when Not on sandbags, then wind and drop.

Good triggers and stock choice/bedding and individual fit to the owner - perhaps affect 'hittability' far more than brand of rifle. Good options are out there for most all brands if an upgrade or tune is desired.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thank God WranglerJohn injected some reality into this thread.

That could be the beginining of the end of a fine discussion...

What's reality got to do with anything...

This is the FIRE, for Heavens sake...
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Don't really have a beef with Remington's, but I don't own any for myself. The wife has two because they fit her better than any other firearms. A Model 7 and a 870 Lightweight Limited. I was surprised with the model 7, the trigger was not that bad and eventually I found loads it liked. The only guns I have owned that are good to go right out of the box have been Sako, Steyr, and Tikka. Also have a CZ 550 that was accurate but took awhile for the action to smooth up. All will shoot MOA or better, and I did not spend a dime on aftermarket parts. To me Remington 700's are like the Ruger 10/22, you can make them into whatever your wallet is willing to spend. Rather than have to spend money on a brand new rifle I would rather spend it hunting.

It's sad that Rem 700s require work even when new now, they were great guns in the 70s right out of the box.
Originally Posted by colorado

It's sad that Rem 700s require work even when new now, they were great guns in the 70s right out of the box.

Never had a problem with the 70's and 80's 700 except for a 25-06 ADL which had the barrel channel cut wrong. All the others were great. Oh I forgot I had an FS that had 2 triggers replaced by an authorized Remington center in Jacksonville. I think there is a big difference compared to current production.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Get both actions properly built with the same quality barrels and there will be no difference whatsoever

You might get a push feed Model 70 to shoot ok, but a CRF will not shoot with the Model 700.
You never get tired of this schitt, do ya' Swampy...?
I dislike the Ruger and Sako systems. They limit you to the factory supplied junk.

A Remington 700 needs no work at all to shoot 1/2 MOA groups.

Never get tired of telling the truth.
Here's swampy's 1/2" 700 group whistle
[Linked Image]

Fixed it for ya.
Yep that's why there are so many Ruger and Sako aftermarket parts and tons of Gunsmiths who specialize in nothing but Rugers and Sako's.

Never get tired of telling the truth.

The truth and yourself have yet to be aquainted. You have zero credibity.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Here's swampy's 1/2" 700 group whistle
[Linked Image]

Marc, maybe he is using the metric system. grin
Yep that's why there are so many Ruger and Sako aftermarket parts and tons of Gunsmiths who specialize in nothing but Rugers and Sako's.

Amazing isn't it .
I'm thinking that if I keep this up I can get to 5K+ posts and I can be an expert too. Now the only problem is what to rant about? Perhaps my BSA Martini Model 12 best damn 22LR ever.....
1/2 Meter of angle? laugh

Amazing isn't it .

It's kinda like saying a car kicks ass because there are so many repair shops that specialize in fixing them.

As been mentioned before - the reason the Rem is specialized in by "gunsmiths" has more to do with it's ease of being chucked up in a lathe - not in some mysticism of their metalurgy or because Remington makes them.

Am wondering how a true bolt face, true action face, lugs cut square, quality barrel that's been chambered with care on a Remington is somehow more accurate than a true bolt face, true action face, lugs cut square, quality barrel that's been chambered with care on a Ruger. It ain't.

The difference wouldn't be the end product but how easy it is to arrive at the end product.
1/2 Meter of angle? laugh

Yeah that Swampass is a real genius since he knows the Metrical system confused
I was perhaps thinking of the need for Gunsmith's to perform all of that work on a rifle..
The Model 700 was designed by a benchrest shooter to be very stiff because there weren't any suitable rifles available at that time. That's why it's the most accurate boltaction production rifle in the world.

It needs no work to be that. That's what it is.
Remington doesn't design anything to be the best, they design it to be cheap to produce.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Remington doesn't design anything to be the best, they design it to be cheap to produce.

Au contraire, nothing can touch a 700 action (or clone) when it comes to accuracy.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Au contraire,

Impressed....not many people can spell that right....

Not to mention you are bilingual...

Au contraire, nothing can touch a 700 action (or clone) when it comes to accuracy.

Exactly.

Exactly.

It will have to be a clone then since I have had 50 or more 700's and none have produced the sterling results Swampshitter has experienced.
Maybe you should try one of the off brands......... grin
Maybe you should try one of the off brands......... grin

LOL unlike Swampy i have
Merci mon ami.
You'll never catch me defending Remington quality control, machining, triggers, barrels or stocks, but the fact that their actions make the most dependably accurate rifles is fact.
Sometimes one slips through the cracks and you get a 1/2 MOA shooter. The good part is the ones that don't deliver are easily modified on the cheap.
There is no doubt the 700 is the choice of bench-rest and paper shooters, but that kind of accuracy (tiny little groups) is just not required in a hunting rifle. Half or even one MOA is more than sufficient. A hunting rifle represents a "whole rifle" concept where acceptable accuracy (in my opinion, 1MOA for scope rifles anyway)is but one component. Reliability, fit, form and function to a particular hunting application are also equally important and as overall hunting rifles, there are a few others that best the Remington in my opinion.
Reliability, fit, form and function to a particular hunting application are also equally important and as overall hunting rifles, there are a few others that best the Remington in my opinion.

I agree pretty much, however "form" is not a priority of mine. Putting one bullet where I want it is my priority. Form is for sissies. smile
You'll never catch me defending Remington quality control, machining, triggers, barrels or stocks, but the fact that their actions make the most dependably accurate rifles is fact.

I still own Remingtons but it would be completely disingenuos for me to say I never had a problem with one or that all shot under an inch like Assclown Swamp claims.
As I stated earlier, other than actions that say Remington, there is little left of the original rifles that I own.
As I stated earlier, other than actions that say Remington, there is little left of the original rifles that I own.

The 2 I have are shooters so I am going to leave them as is except drop the mountain rifle in a edge stock.
Lots of them or great shooters. I am just lucky enough to have a top shelf rifle builder as a neighbor and friend.
Hey wait a minute. That's cheating..
Everybody is lucky in something! smile

No it's called repairing a rifle grin
I forgot that decreases the value..
Lots of them or great shooters. I am just lucky enough to have a top shelf rifle builder as a neighbor and friend.

Whoaa there. You mean you're not shooting unbedded ADL's into groups so small the Hubble is required to view them? What's the world coming to?

The one that matters the mostest is the first one and placing it exactly where it needs to go is a priority whistle. Even one or two Remingtons are in that group, but alas, they were all broken before I bedded them.

No it's called repairing a rifle grin

I'd go with that too, 'cept I seldom know if they're broke, or not, before I get 'em "repaired". smile
As I promised Swampy I would send along some pics of what a QUALITY factory rifle looks like. Browning Safari FN action, quality Claro walnut and an easy 1 MOA shooter and that is all that is necessary to kill any big game within ethical hunting ranges with a 30-06.
You'll note in the third picture that big thing on the front of bolt is a controlled action claw extractor. Been working just fine since 1898 and just a tad more rugged than than a Remington flattened paperclip.
When we get enough together for his African Lion hunt, he best hope the PH has a rifle built on this action or he might end up as cubs' dinner.

Did I mention I bought it for LESS than a typical 80 grit finish 700 fitted with gen-u-ine swamp walnut and a trigger made out of recycled cat food cans ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My latest build is going to retain the old factory ADL stock, .223AI, 1-7" Hart, built to look just like the orginal barrel. Kinda wolf in sheep's clothing thing. I'm gonna name it "Swampy". smile
After you throw away all the junk Remington parts all you're left with is a bolt and receiver.
We interrupt this thread for some useless information. Larry, you need to go away.
Yes, but the most accurate receiver...best in the world.
My latest build is going to retain the old factory ADL stock, .223AI, 1-7" Hart, built to look just like the orginal barrel. Kinda wolf in sheep's clothing thing. I'm gonna name it "Swampy". smile

Sweet. Are you going to have Tom paint the stock?
I saw some of those Larry type rifles in the Smithsonian on my last visit.
I don't know if I'll paint it or not. It's wood, and I'm kinda going for that ignorant look with this one.
It's always fun to shoot with those guys though.
i did up a Rem. Compact Tactical with a Hart 1-7" .223 AI. it's my brass burper. fluted 22" Remington Varmint contour...

Actually, you did not as the Smithsonian collection has no example of either of these rifles. While I realize all 700s are about the same , all 03s are not.

And the minor fact that the Smithsonian gun room is not open to the public...... well you chew on that little fib.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Easy to get into if you know that right people.
The problem here is so small it is simple to fix. Every time I scope a rem 700 I put the front base on, and right away see if the front screw tightens the base down or bottoms out. If it doesn't tighten the base down and bottoms out I shorten it slighty and it's done fixed never a problem again.I have not had any troubles once I just shorten the screw. I have had to do this many times with weatherby's too.

I bought a Model 700 XCR (RH) 7 MAG. back in 2009 and when I went to mount the scope I ran into the same problem. Front hole was not drilled all the way thru. Called Remington and no person could give me an answer as to why the gun was that way. I kind of got all pissed off about it, since I wanted to try out my new rifle. I had a gunsmith shorten the front screw and there were still enough threads to tighten the scope base down in a secure manner. So far so good with no problems.
Name names........ and that does not change the fact that these are not there.

Not that you'ld even know.
If I gave you three names you'd still be unarmed.
Merci mon ami.

shocked

And after you spend $5,000.00 installing after market parts on it, it will shoot almost as well as a $350.00 factory ADL from Dick's Sporting Goods.
Nice antique that belongs over the fireplace at the cabin. If you need a powderhorn and hunting pouch to go with it, I can make one up.

And after you spend $5,000.00 installing after market parts on it, it will shoot almost as well as a $350.00 factory ADL from Dick's Sporting Goods.

You like to sashay around dicks? Ewwwwwwwwwww.
Originally Posted by Karnis

First the mythical 350.00 dollar NEW Remington ADL which does not exist anywhere but the Dickhead keeps bringing it up.

Swampy must get wood everytime he visits Dicks....One size fits all
While sashaying:

"Verb: Walk in an ostentatious yet casual manner, typically with exaggerated movements of the hips and shoulders."
........ and that does not change the fact that these are not there. ........

Like all the others you post, they've never been in your hands either.

First the mythical 350.00 dollar NEW Remington ADL which does not exist anywhere but the Dickhead keeps bringing it up.

Swampy must get wood everytime he visits Dicks....One size fits all

I was just at Dick's in Harrisburg PA last week. Didn't see a $350 ADL (do they even still make ADL's?) anywhere. They wanted more than that for Savages and Mossberg's!
While sashaying:

"Verb: Walk in an ostentatious yet casual manner, typically with exaggerated movements of the hips and shoulders."

Think he wears his re-enactment suits when he shops at Dicks? YOu now know that he drives a Ford Fiesta he might qualify as a metrosexual.
Remington SS ADL's sell in the high 400's in my area at the local Dicks.
Don't know. Far as I can tell Tom264 was the last person to snap a picture of him in action. So as not to be biased, I'm thinking this should be what you last envision. Until there is another sighting.............

[Linked Image]

I don't keep up with Remington but didn't the SPS replace the ADL?
Ok, let's get this back on track!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sactoller
Ok, let's get this back on track!

[Linked Image]

Bastid ...Now that is real Bone and Crockett material and a Swampy repellent to boot cool
In other words:
1. you have none.
2. you have never been there.

what a surprise!
Might could go $350 for a whack at that? Even with them synthetic handles.
Well that young lady sure is nice to look at. Maybe we can get 2000 pages out of this one.

[quote=sactoller]Ok, let's get this back on track!

[Linked Image]

Ah yes, this thread has ascended to the lofty heights of philosophical discussion. Wherein mounting scopes evolves into a mounting of another and more venial type, one that is committed without full reflection or consent of the conscience so as not to deprive the soul of sanctifying grace. I wonder, are those real or augmented by saline or silicone prostheses? Have I committed adultery by close enough examination that I may ask the question? Is it even possible to politely mumble the question with one's mouth full?

In the matter of Ruger type scope mounts, like the Sako tapered dovetail mounts of yore, they do limit one in correcting alignment errors, without the additional complexity of Ruger-to-Weaver base adapters and Burris Zee Rings. Still, they are a good solid system that serves the hunter well. Built in bases is a marketing ploy that appeals to thrift more than flexibility.

In the matter of the Remington extractor, in all my shooting of Remington rifles and actions I have never experienced an extractor failure. Likewise I have never experienced a failure of any other rifle brand extractor. As Alia asked in the movie Dune, "How could this be?" Either I am the Kwisatz Haderach or someone who keeps his extractor and bolt face free of brass shavings and gunk, and loads ammo below the brazing point. Extractor problems usually are related to overloading reloads, or not allowing for temperature extremes, or chamber problems such as carbon and powder residue buildup. First come the complaints about sticky extraction, then bolt lockup followed by knocking the bolt handle off with a two-by-four. Must be the brazed on bolt handle and poor quality control.

We won't talk about the three piece bolt of the push feed post 64 Winchester Model 70's where the bolt handle is pressed into the bolt body and can break free. So I guess the Mauser 98's are the only practical alternatives. Oh wait, just try to chamber a round quickly by dropping one in the chamber and closing the bolt. If the extractor wasn't modified you have a jammed rifle, oh crap!

Moral: Nothing in this world is perfect, or as the Buddhists say, "All life is suffering" (meaning unsatisfactory). Now I wonder about those augmentations.

The Model 700 was designed by a benchrest shooter to be very stiff because there weren't any suitable rifles available at that time. That's why it's the most accurate boltaction production rifle in the world.

It needs no work to be that. That's what it is.

Designed isn't the same as built. The 700 certainly does own some build issues which are not uncommon. That many of them are easily corrected is a tribute to the design, not the necessarily the build. My luck, accuraxcy-wise, with 700s has shown them to be adequate, not special, when it comes to hunting accuracy. Perhaps the single biggest flaw in the design of the 700 is the multi-piece bolt. In a rather small sampling, it is both ends of the bolt that have had problems. The design, in theory anyway, is fine; it's the reality of the manufacturing process where things seem to get faulty. Brazing multiple pieces of a rifle's bolt might not be the best or smartest.
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn

[Linked Image]

In the matter of the Remington extractor, in all my shooting of Remington rifles and actions I have never experienced an extractor failure. Likewise I have never experienced a failure of any other rifle brand extractor. As Alia asked in the movie Dune, "How could this be?" Either I am the Kwisatz Haderach or someone who keeps his extractor and bolt face free of brass shavings and gunk, and loads ammo below the brazing point. Extractor problems usually are related to overloading reloads, or not allowing for temperature extremes, or chamber problems such as carbon and powder residue buildup.

I've personally know of two Rem 700 extractors breaking, in nearly new guns, both magnums (one 7mm, one 8mm) The 8mm never saw a reload. Large magnums push that extractors' capability, IMO. SOTIC instructors have written that there has never been a single extractor failure in any 308 in the history of that course.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

In the slow-mo at the end they left out the girlie-like scream that I'm pretty sure wasn't from the lion. grin I'd like to see a closeup of the pants from the screamer. Good for a chuckle when I'm sitting here safe and comfy... whistle
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

In the matter of the Remington extractor, in all my shooting of Remington rifles and actions I have never experienced an extractor failure. Likewise I have never experienced a failure of any other rifle brand extrac

tor. As Alia asked in the movie Dune, "How could this be?" Either I am the Kwisatz Haderach or someone who keeps his extractor and bolt face free of brass shavings and gunk, and loads ammo below the brazing point. Extractor problems usually are related to overloading reloads, or not allowing for temperature extremes, or chamber problems such as carbon and powder residue buildup.

I've personally know of two Rem 700 extractors breaking, in nearly new guns, both magnums (one 7mm, one 8mm) The 8mm never saw a reload. Large magnums push that extractors' capability, IMO. SOTIC instructors have written that there has never been a single extractor failure in any 308 in the history of that course.

Mag extractors have a rivet in a really bad place
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

In the slow-mo at the end they left out the girlie-like scream that I'm pretty sure wasn't from the lion. grin I'd like to see a closeup of the pants from the screamer. Good for a chuckle when I'm sitting here safe and comfy... whistle

I would pay for a good amount of his safari and supply him with a filet mignon meat vest to wear on it.
Get both actions properly built with the same quality barrels and there will be no difference whatsoever

You might get a push feed Model 70 to shoot ok, but a CRF will not shoot with the Model 700.

I used to shoot High Power with a fellow named Rudy Wadekamp who would disagree with you. He was a High Master and could shoot a 198 at 1000 yds with iron sights on his Model 70 Winchester. He could shoot a perfect score with a scope at 1000 yds.
Swampy you are wrong!
In other words:
1. you have none.
2. you have never been there.

what a surprise!

That response was your only option.
Originally Posted by whelennut
I used to shoot High Power

Me too.......just imagine how well he could have shot with a good rifle.
Originally Posted by whelennut
I used to shoot High Power

Me too.......just imagine how well he could have shot with a good rifle.

By "High Power" Swampy must mean he once fondled a Browning Hi Power, but because it didn't come in a green box, he was afraid, shooting it only in his dreams where he's the bravest of the brave...

I wonder how many of his tight "groups" are at short range...

I keep hearing about the new Remington 700 at Dick's for $350.00 Do you think Swampy would be less than honest?
I shot High Power with my AR-15, M1A, and my 03A3.
All those can't be Remingtons. You're going to get off the reservation if you aren't careful...
Originally Posted by Patrick_James

Do you think Swampy would be less than honest?

WHAT???

Less than honest...

Where could you have come up with such a serious allegation...?

Originally Posted by Patrick_James

I keep hearing about the new Remington 700 at Dick's for $350.00 Do you think Swampy would be less than honest?

ROTLMFAO ...do ARabs hate Jews?
I dislike the Ruger and Sako systems. They limit you to the factory supplied junk.

Not exactly...unless your talking Warne, Talley's, and perhaps some others.

As to accuracy, I used a 700 6BR to win a local BR match once...informal....4 of 5 into 1.5" at 415 yds....they will shoot....consistently....when trued and custom bbl'd. Stock - they may or may not.

Yet the funny thing is - all this talk about 'Cut Lugs' and such....my Ruger #1, barreled by the SAME company that did the 700 above......well it shot the best group at 330 yds I ever fired...into .498"...yep, just an OLD single shot falling block action....w/o having any 'Lug Work' done...nor extractor.

Now my most accurate overall so far would put 3 into 1/4" time and again at 200 yds......a CLONE....Stiller in 6BR.

Clones shoot better than Clowns....

Now for a factory rifle...my Sako 260 SPORTER M75 GW, would put the FIRST 2 into ONE HOLE, and did it consecutively.

I NEVER had a CLOWN do that.....oh, that was 200 yds mind you. It DID have NON Factory supplied Talley's.

OH, OUT THE BOX...FACTORY....gun AND rings....there does come to mind a Model 1-A Ruger, single shot in 243....first group out the box - 3/8" at 100 yds........so much for Clown's cornering the market on accuracy. Hmmm, maybe a single shot has Magic over a magazine rifle? OR...Maybe it's the Junk factory rings that are built like a tank.

Laughing.

ALL guns are capable - some are just more consistently accurate -AND reliable and dependable. I would NEVER bet my life savings that Clowns would win in an all out scientific sampling of non hand-picked rifles untuned.

Either I am the Kwisatz Haderach or someone who keeps his extractor and bolt face free of brass shavings and gunk, and loads ammo below the brazing point............

Dude......
Thats funny right there.I dont care who you are.

dave

Nobody said anything about SS ADLs.
Even the very best gunsmiths can't get a Ruger #1 to shoot. To say there has ever been an accurate #1 is laughable. They suck more than most Rugers and that's saying a lot.

Nobody said anything about SS ADLs.

They don't sell any ADL for 350 and your statement as usual was a lie.
Even the very best gunsmiths can't get a Ruger #1 to shoot. To say there has ever been an accurate #1 is laughable. They suck more than most Rugers and that's saying a lot.

You are a lightweight on the subject..you have no credibility ..no one gives a flying [bleep] what you think

In the face of evidence to the contrary, you come up with THAT?

Your mother really did raise a fool and it wasn't one of your siblings...

Had my Ruger #1 at the range this last weekend. It is not a one-hole rifle but it shoots better than my M700 .30-06.
There is no evidence to the contrary. The #1 is right there with the Mini-14 & Mini-30 as some of the most inaccurate firearms on the market.
[/quote]They don't sell any ADL for 350 and your statement as usual was a lie.

The run the blued/plastic ADLs on sale for $349.95 all the time.

as usual you don't know what you're talking about.
They don't sell any ADL for 350 and your statement as usual was a lie.

The run the blued/plastic ADLs on sale for $349.95 all the time.

as usual you don't know what you're talking about. [/quote]

Your full of Swampshitt as usual. YOU have no credibility . You have more then 30-40 people here against you
Swampman, I suppose you can find a Ruger #1 that is a problem gun, like you can find 700 bolt handles that were not brazed properly....but go to the single shot forum and learn what others experience. One guy has a 7x57 RSI mannlicher stock, seems it shoots like a bench gun.

None the less, I think you been listening to too much Journey - Faithfully:

Oh Girl
You stand by me
I'm forever yours
Faithfully

Circus life
Under the big top world
We all need the clowns to make us smile

Somehow you thought that song was about 700s.

But you missed the line above those lyrics.

"Ain't always what it's supposed to be"

That pretty much sums up the 700 - clown.
Originally Posted by 65BR

Clones shoot better than Clowns....

That's a good one, 65BR. And very true, regardless of "wisdom" otherwise circulated on the Fire.
No, it was the hard truth. Just helll to get caught in bending the truth isn't it ?
Swampy, give us the name, address and phone number of the store selling the $350 ADLs. Simple way to end the discussion ....... the silence will be over whelming!

According to Bud's gunshop (excellent prices) they have ZERO ADLs in stock and the most recent price quoted on a 7mm08 or 308 was $393.00 (PLUS shipping)

Put up or shut you you bald face BSer !
mad
There is no evidence to the contrary. The #1 is right there with the Mini-14 & Mini-30 as some of the most inaccurate firearms on the market.

There is a mountain of evidence that #1's can shoot and it is there for anyone who has an open mind on the subject, something you are clearly lacking.

I had my #1 at the range last Sunday and it shoots better than my M700 .30-06, even if I use Remington ammo in both.
The #1s shoot OK......3-5 MOA right out of the box if you're lucky. In fact the NEF Handi-Rifle will out shoot any #1.
The #1s shoot OK......3-5 MOA right out of the box if you're lucky. In fact the NEF Handi-Rifle will out shoot any #1.

You are a lightweight on the subject..you have no credibility ..no one gives a flying [bleep] what you think
Swampy, give us the name, address and phone number of the store selling the $350 ADLs. Simple way to end the discussion ....... the silence will be over whelming!

According to Bud's gunshop (excellent prices) they have ZERO ADLs in stock and the most recent price quoted on a 7mm08 or 308 was $393.00 (PLUS shipping)

mad

I hate to defend swampy but they are out there.

ADL $339.00

No, it was the hard truth. Just helll to get caught in bending the truth isn't it ?

I told the truth, always have. Why don't you go scan some more pics of rifles you've never seen or held in your hands. Hey, almost forgot, how's the big trial coming along. laffin
Wally world sometimes runs similar prices.......
Originally Posted by RugerM77270

mad

ADL $339.00

Swampy steadfastly said Dicks Sporting Goods, there are no Academy sports near where Swampy lives. I bought a adl 7rem mag last year and it cost 479..5 years ago Wally World was selling them for 350 and less
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Wally world sometimes runs similar prices.......

The last ADL I bought at a Wally World last year was 479..... see my comments above
That's why I said sometimes. They clearance every now and again. I put my buddy on a 7 rem mag for 359 or something like that.
We have an Academy Sports about 45 minutes away.
We have an Academy Sports about 45 minutes away.

Yes Swampy the Pensacola store has a 700 ADL in stock for 379.... but again you fibbed when you said Dick's regularly carried them for that cheap.
[Linked Image]
gee...Jb's shoot just fine...indeed...better than fine...

How could that be...?
you fibbed when you said Dick's regularly carried them for that cheap.

I didn't say that.
gee...Jb's shoot just fine...indeed...better than fine...

How could that be...?

Their business is to sell rifles and that requires fooling people into thinking they need them. They do that by paying writers to do articles on those glossy pages at Books-A-Million. They are for the most part whores who will write anything for their check. Sad but most folks take all that as gospel and hate anyone who preaches common sense.

Swamp donkey you are as useless as a solar powered flashlight!
Instead of badmouthing Remington why don't you just take it to a gunsmith and have him mount the scope for you? The things you describe as quality control problems are an everyday thing in a gun shop.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

There is a mountain of evidence that #1's can shoot and it is there for anyone who has an open mind on the subject, something you are clearly lacking.

I had my #1 at the range last Sunday and it shoots better than my M700 .30-06, even if I use Remington ammo in both.

An open mind is something Swampy will never have!
"The cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won't sit upon a cold stove lid, either." ~Mark Twain ~

Tired of giving Ruger another chance.

Tired of giving Ruger another chance.

Good then STFU !!!
I know you're a novice, and I just want you to know that if you ever have any questions I'll be glad to answer them for you. I don't like to see folks waste their money.

DFTFT
Geez Swampy...I just want you to know...if I ever want someone to French Kiss my Azz...I'll call you first.....
Geez Swampy...I just want you to know...if I ever want someone to French Kiss my Azz...I'll call you first.....

What makes you think he'll wait for an invitation?
Same for you. If you get confused about which end goes down range I'll be glad to help.
shocked
Larry said it best. Swampy is doing well to not [bleep] himself.

but he is offering advice to guys that shoot more in a month than he's shot in the last 20 years...

That was mean............................I liked it laugh

I liked it laugh

Duuude....
Ouch with the edit cry
Didn't know they were connected - sorry. wink
Originally Posted by toad
but he is offering advice to guys that have shot less in 20 years, than he shoots in a week...

Trying to help the novices..

I can't believe this retarded thread is still going on......
Im killing this abomination with skank fu......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
He said $350 not 399 !
Originally Posted by RugerM77270

mad

ADL $339.00

Thanks. I was hoping swampy was telling the truth. I'm all for cheap Remingtons. They know what they are worth.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The #1s shoot OK......3-5 MOA right out of the box if you're lucky.

podunkkennels - with my four (4) eyes...that view is just GREAT. Same for the one following her...Homesteader.
Gee, I hope there is no implication here that Swampy keeps stepping on his tongue ?
After all he has shown us pictures of his EXTENSIVE Remington collection, witnessed sub MOA groups with green box ammo, all his trophies taken all over the world, Match trophies and list of published works by him ....... hasn't he ?
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out killing little buck-toothed bushy tailed critters.

Okay, for all those concerned about Remington 700 extractors, bolts and assorted malfunctions, real and imagined ("I know a guy who... a: Had his .416 Remington extractor break; b: Died when his Model 700 failed to extract while being charged by a runaway Land Rover in Botswana Land, just as his boot heel tore loose dumping him in its path, or c: Discovered a defect in his Remington 700 that when fired caused all the wheels on his truck to fall off and his wife to have an affair with a professional hunter named Nigel.) Please go here:

www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm

You can get a spare or replacement bolt, cut for the Remington extractor, a Sako extractor, or a mini or standard M-16 extractor, the bolt body can be cut to a custom diameter to fit your sloppy low quality control action bolt raceway diameter - anything goes. Why you can have as many bolts as you want - keep a spare for those occasions when rabid squirrels attack and your extractor just flew out with the last cartridge. What a thread - following it is like listening to a '49 Buick with a few gear teeth missing.
© 24hourcampfire