Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bxroads
What is the intent with relaxed church dress codes, coffee shops in churches, etc.? Would you see a coffee shop in a rural church in Texas? Would you see dusty boots and Wranglers at a church in downtown Seattle? Probably not. But the point is that the church is trying to become more accessible to the community around it. Is a poor person going to buy a suit just to visit a church in which all of the members dress up? Is the poor person going to visit a church in worn out jeans when everyone else is wearing a suit? Is God going to punish a church leader because they encouraged a coffee shop and relaxed dress code with intentions of bringing people to God to the glorification of God? Is that for a person to judge?

You don't realize what a slippery slope that is? That's the exact same reasoning some churches have ordained openly homosexual bishops. It's NOT all good.
We all have different relationships with Christ (obviously). Respect and humility I suppose manifest itself in different ways. Even the apostles couldn't stay up an hour with Him in his time of need. Obviously just getting people to go to church for an hour once a week is way too burdensome for some (and the excuses are endless). If you can't present yourself in the house of the Lord at LEAST as well as you would if invited over to a friend's house for a special dinner then something just seems way out of whack.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Women preachers & deacons seem pretty common. This is completely off the Word.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

You don't realize what a slippery slope that is? That's the exact same reasoning some churches have ordained openly homosexual bishops. It's NOT all good.

If the bible doesn't address the issue and the laws of the land do not address the issue then its up for a person to decide what is right for their own person and not bestow their decision on anyone else.

Homosexuality is condemned by the bible. I agree, it is not good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a man surrenders , nothing else matters.If a man can't surrender , nothing else matters.

It REALLY is that simple.

Jesus is alive and well today and speaks to a surrendered heart , not an ego infected head.

The surrendered heart recognizes neither Greek , Hebrew , Aramic , or English but rather the Master's voice.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the intent with relaxed church dress codes, coffee shops in churches, etc.? Would you see a coffee shop in a rural church in Texas? Would you see dusty boots and Wranglers at a church in downtown Seattle? Probably not. But the point is that the church is trying to become more accessible to the community around it. Is a poor person going to buy a suit just to visit a church in which all of the members dress up? Is the poor person going to visit a church in worn out jeans when everyone else is wearing a suit? Is God going to punish a church leader because they encouraged a coffee shop and relaxed dress code with intentions of bringing people to God to the glorification of God? Is that for a person to judge?

We all have different relationships with Christ (obviously). Respect and humility I suppose manifest itself in different ways. Even the apostles couldn't stay up an hour with Him in his time of need. Obviously just getting people to go to church for an hour once a week is way too burdensome for some (and the excuses are endless). If you can't present yourself in the house of the Lord at LEAST as well as you would if invited over to a friend's house for a special dinner then something just seems way out of whack.

If the bible doesn't address the issue and the laws of the land do not address the issue then its up for a person to decide what is right for their own person and not bestow their decision on anyone else.

Homosexuality is condemned by the bible. I agree, it is not good.
Neither is catering to the ways of the world.
How about this. I saw a kid in church once that was wearing this Tshirt.
[Linked Image]

Is that OK? Why or why not?

How about if people decide they want to go to church buck naked? Fine?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you can't present yourself in the house of the Lord at LEAST as well as you would if invited over to a friend's house for a special dinner then something just seems way out of whack.
While I believe I am usually appropriate socially, my friends would not be offended if I were to answer an invitation with a hole in my jeans or a stain on my shirt. I don't believe my Lord would either.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
KJV

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
If a man surrenders , nothing else matters.If a man can't surrender , nothing else matters.

Jesus is alive and well today and speaks to a surrendered heart , not an ego infected head.

The surrendered heart recognizes neither Greek , Hebrew , Aramic , or English but rather the Master's voice.

Curdog, you nailed it. I have believed in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit my entire life. Only recently have I surrendered and only after being pursued by God for many years. He finally got VERY persuasive. Once you truly surrender to God your life is changed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
If you can't present yourself in the house of the Lord at LEAST as well as you would if invited over to a friend's house for a special dinner then something just seems way out of whack.
While I believe I am usually appropriate socially, my friends would not be offended if I were to answer an invitation with a hole in my jeans or a stain on my shirt. I don't believe my Lord would either.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
KJV
A bit out of context no? I believe we can all agree that a man has no control of his physical characteristics.
Again, Jesus should have just left the money changers alone. Whatever current day decides is fine in a house of worship is fine with Him. We don't want to offend anyone, we don't want to suggest that anything is wrong. The bible clearly says everything is ok. If it feels good, do it.
If the best you have to attend church in is jeans with a hole in them and a stained shirt, you'll be the best dressed person there and the Lord will surely be smiling.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neither is catering to the ways of the world.
How about this. I saw a kid in church once that was wearing this Tshirt.
[Linked Image]

Is that OK? Why or why not?

How about if people decide they want to go to church buck naked? Fine?

Regarding the t shirt, I'll try my best to show the person love while also letting him know that the shirt is offensive to a lot of people, and let God deal with the rest. When I have to face God on judgement day I don't think I'll have to explain why I didn't kick someone out of church but would hate to be put in the situation of justifying kicking someone out of church.

Regarding nakedness, the Bible suggest to dress modestly so that one is easy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm not conversant in Greek, Hebrew, or Aramic and I even struggle with English.

You seem a straight ahead Gent and have found your path.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by curdog4570

We are His only creation that has self will. We decide to use it wrongly or rightly. He judges.

When you, me or anyone else starts quoting scriptures, best to know their derivations and meanings from antiquity and not as it seems apparent to the immediate day.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
A bit out of context no?
You answered your own question. No, I don't believe it out of context. To the contrary, outward appearances are outward appearances, and the heart is the heart. Not everyone is as fashion conscious as others. I don't believe that "lack" is see as such by the Lord who sees not as men see.

Money changers/simony is different topic entirely.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You can't get much more modest than when you're naked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
A bit out of context no?
You answered your own question. No, I don't believe it out of context. To the contrary, outward appearances are outward appearances, and the heart is the heart. Not everyone is as fashion conscious as others. I don't believe that "lack" is see as such by the Lord who sees not as men see.

Money changers/simony is different topic entirely.

This is a text book case of how/why there have been so many divisions in the church(es).
This thread is about what are appropriate goings on in church. Correct? The church in this case meaning the physical building/house of God. There is one scripture I can think of that addresses it. It is the money changers. It could not be more relevant. Inappropriate goings on in the building and Christ himself got VIOLENT over it as they were defiling the house of His Father. You dismiss that scripture yet somehow bring up scripture about the God given physical attributes of another individual and somehow correlate THAT to appropriate behavior and dress in the house of the God?
No wonder atheists and agonstics dismiss us as arbitrary moonbats. frown

NRA Lifer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Woodsmaster

You can't get much more modest than when you're naked.
Well, humble maybe. Modest, not so much. wink

NRA Lifer

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good coffee, good food, a big screen TV fixed to a sports channel.

Even I could find reasons to go to a church like that!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Good coffee, good food, a big screen TV fixed to a sports channel.

Even I could find reasons to go to a church like that!

I don't agree with you often, lol, but have to agree here. If they had a good IPA on tap, I'd be there early to get a good seat. wink

Stush
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by mark shubert
deflave, I doubt Jesus had a button down shirt, and I believe His sandals were closer to flip-flops than to a pair of wing-tip shoes. That said, I tend to wear a snap type western shirt, newer blue jeans, a tie, and my dress western boots to church (Formal Church). Most often, I'm babysitting livestock, and enjoying God's church in the great outdoors on Sunday (critters need feed & water & care 24/7) Jesus & I have an ongoing, GREAT relationship!
Mark

Jesus probably didn't smell too great back in the day either. But I'd still like people in modern day society to take a shower before entering the fellowship hall. I'm glad you have a good relationship with him.

Travis

Anything else you want?

Besides people not looking like slobs in church? A couple more honest christians would be nice...

Travis

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Besides people not looking like slobs in church? A couple more honest christians would be nice...

Travis

That really would be nice.

I agree with you on this. I may be in clean jeans and shirt with shined boots but that is the real me. I am comfortable standing and worshiping next to a five thousand dollar suit if that is being real to the man wearing it. However, I am just a comfortable standing and worshiping next to someone who's hair is uncombed, shirt has holes, pants are more hole than thread and could use a shower if he is doing the best he can and is being real. To me it is far more important what is in someones heart that the cloths on their body.

On the other hand open disrespect is a different issue.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This is a text book case of how/why there have been so many divisions in the church(es).
Only in that some, actually many, place issues irrelevant to God as matters of importance to stroke their own egos and give perceived reason to disdain and judge those they consider lessor to themselves. Matters of attire is one of these faux priorities.

I dismiss the scripture on simony, the selling and profiting of salvation, as on the same level as contention that manner of dress is an issue of importance. The latter is not even an issue except in the minds of the judgmental, and the former was instrumental in causing the reformation. If that dichotomy is lost on you, I cannot help you there.

You want to alledge the scripture I posted is only about physical attributes but give no mention of the jist of the verse: God ONLY looks to the heart. Period. Not dress, not offices of the church, not social standing, the HEART.

I won't even deal with that arbitrary moonbat thing.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1beaver_shooter, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 50 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,125
Posts18,523,041
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.