O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by mark shubert
deflave, I doubt Jesus had a button down shirt, and I believe His sandals were closer to flip-flops than to a pair of wing-tip shoes. That said, I tend to wear a snap type western shirt, newer blue jeans, a tie, and my dress western boots to church (Formal Church). Most often, I'm babysitting livestock, and enjoying God's church in the great outdoors on Sunday (critters need feed & water & care 24/7) Jesus & I have an ongoing, GREAT relationship!
Mark

Jesus probably didn't smell too great back in the day either. But I'd still like people in modern day society to take a shower before entering the fellowship hall. I'm glad you have a good relationship with him.

Travis

Anything else you want?

Besides people not looking like slobs in church? A couple more honest christians would be nice...

Travis

Yeah, like those so "honest" they use gd in the same sentence as going to church and then apply themselves as Christians.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I agree Scott.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Using "[bleep]" makes a person dishonest? That's a new one on me. And just so you understand how it works Old Toot, a person can go to church and learn about the word of God and not be a Christian. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the Bible mentions something about that being one of the reasons for a church to begin with.

The OP concerns Sunday morning services being too casual and I agree with him 100%

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only difference between a church and a prison is that in one the inmates stay willingly.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Using "[bleep]" makes a person dishonest? That's a new one on me. And just so you understand how it works Old Toot, a person can go to church and learn about the word of God and not be a Christian. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the Bible mentions something about that being one of the reasons for a church to begin with.

The OP concerns Sunday morning services being too casual and I agree with him 100%

Travis

A "dishonest" Christian, Travis. Check out The Commandments.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've seen them before. But thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You are welcome.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not as many people are scared anymore

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
This is a text book case of how/why there have been so many divisions in the church(es).
Only in that some, actually many, place issues irrelevant to God as matters of importance to stroke their own egos and give perceived reason to disdain and judge those they consider lessor to themselves. Matters of attire is one of these faux priorities.

I dismiss the scripture on simony, the selling and profiting of salvation, as on the same level as contention that manner of dress is an issue of importance. The latter is not even an issue except in the minds of the judgmental, and the former was instrumental in causing the reformation. If that dichotomy is lost on you, I cannot help you there.

You want to alledge the scripture I posted is only about physical attributes but give no mention of the jist of the verse: God ONLY looks to the heart. Period. Not dress, not offices of the church, not social standing, the HEART.

I won't even deal with that arbitrary moonbat thing.

Still won't address the money changers huh?
You can argue dress is not a scriptural requirement (although there is scripture regarding dress in general, not necessarily in church). I would submit however it is a symptom of that person's heart (that you rightfully fixate on). A humble servant, a fearful servant, I believe it reasonable to expect, dresses respectfully in the house of the Lord. Jesus Himself did not stand for defiling the house.
But perhaps dress, language, and actions are all just irrelevant?
I love it when people judge others as judgemental too. God created irony. He does have a sense of humor no doubt. grin

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Furprick
Not as many people are scared anymore
There's nothing to be scared of. Society has clearly told them everything is OK and you can justify ANYTHING (to yourself).

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When reading these postings....it's quite obvious for the 'division'!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We agree on division, dood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ol' pest fell asleep in the middle of reformatting my old essay on the church as a temple ("Razed, Raised, Three Days"), and just woke-up. ('Tain't easy bein' senile! crazy)

Will finish the chore after I get some more shut-eye and will post it in case there's one person among our >32,000 who might want to read it.

See y'all later!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd just like to know since when going to Church wasn't supposed to be a sacrifice. "Sacrifice of the Mass" means more than just Eucharist!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
I'd just like to know since when going to Church wasn't supposed to be a sacrifice. "Sacrifice of the Mass" means more than just Eucharist!
Since the "It's all good if it feels good" crowd reached adult hood. Well.... got older anyway.

NRA Lifer

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not so much a sacrifice as a duty, a petition, an oblation.

Only one Sacrifice was made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sacrifices are made every day - men go to jobs they hate for the sake of feeding their families, soldiers give their blood and their lives for fellow Americans, etc., etc. etc. An hour or two on Sunday is a sacrifice we make for the One we love, albeit a small one. I think making it is a good start.

ETA: Going to these churches to drink latte is a start. Like preschool is a intro to grade school. It's only a problem when there's no progress beyond that or when it is a regression from a fuller sacrifice.

Last edited by BarryC; 05/27/11.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I prefer to look at the opportunity to go and worship and study God's Word as an honor and privilege, not a sacrifice. A sacrifice is what He did for me-not what I can for Him. Just my $.02 worth.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M77shooter
I prefer to look at the opportunity to go and worship and study God's Word as an honor and privilege, not a sacrifice. A sacrifice is what He did for me-not what I can for Him. Just my $.02 worth.
Not to overplay semantics, but you generally have to earn an honor or a priviledge. Presumably we can agree that's not possible here? The price of admission was paid already. The least we can do is be humbled by that and attempt to give it some modicum of respect, the least of which is showing up regularly not looking like we're headed to a football game.

NRA Lifer

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I long to see (and I think that Jesus does, too) Jesus's active followers operate corporately as they did between the Day of Pentecost and the late fourth century Anno Domini � when they numbered in the tens of thousands in Jerusalem alone at the close of the first century and had spread-out over the rest of the then-known world.

� congregating in twos and fews whenever and wherever the Holy Spirit led them together in the Name (authority) of Jesus, to do whatever He bade them do right then

� edified by the Holy Spirit through the agency and counsel of their council of local presbuteroi, episcopoi, and poimeni

� subject to the direction, guidance, and rule of no distant "authority" but only to God through the Holy Spirit and their council of local presbuteroi, episcopoi, and poimeni

� doing the works that Jesus did, as He promised that we would � healing the sick, comforting the afflicted, casting-out demons, etc

I don't expect any of that to happen on Sunday mornings in The Little Brown Church in the Wildwood or in that gleaming white building with the steeple, stained-glass windows, and gurgling organ.

Dr. Howell, thank you for your freely offered insights. if you so choose, we look forward to your posting of your thoughts related to the Temple, it's razing, and rebuild, etc.

there's lots of discussion related to the coming of the new temple. thank you for your sharing,.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1badf350, 1234, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.