Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Jeff,

I'm hoping it's not the scope and just one of those odd scenarios where the combination of rifle, bases, rings and scope; I ran out of room at one end of the elev range.

I'll report back once Leupold takes care of things on there end and I get the scope back and shoot it.

Alan

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A 20MOA base will fix the problem. You have run out of "up" adjustment and are getting dead clicks. Every other scope will do it too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, but they've got a ton of elevation! confused

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The 1.5-6x Leupold only has 45MOA of elevation. That's not terrible but it's not a lot either.

It should be standard practice if one wishes to dial past 3-400 yards to either get a scope with a lot of travel, i.e.. 60+ MOA, or a 20MOA base. Preferably both.

A
A
sounds to me like you are using an ample amount of windage that is inhibiting your elevation travel. a long range base may help you. one shim under the rear base is a much cheaper and equally effective solution. Leup sends them out at no charge and they equal about 12 moa.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

(pop quiz: you are running a 2.5" high at 100 zero. Buck is 30 yards away, clear path to the vitals EXCEPT there's a branch bisecting the vitals. Where do you aim?)

Pretty much where you want the bullet to go....(depending on the size of the branch.)

Where do you hold for a 100 yard zero? confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

(pop quiz: you are running a 2.5" high at 100 zero. Buck is 30 yards away, clear path to the vitals EXCEPT there's a branch bisecting the vitals. Where do you aim?)

How about the face.

It's really not that hard to shoot a deer in the woods.

I must say, I have guided some that thought it was.

( my 2 cents ) When you are hunting, you are the top predator in the woods with your rifle or you should be. You need to be on top of your game at all times, always in the "hunt mode". I think, to be proficient at this you need to be a killer. Think like a killer, hunt like a killer, be a killer.

Hunt safe, hunt hard and enjoy the great outdoos.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Hammerdown, that's what I always thought..... confused

Until I started posting here....and then "discovered"....my 2.5-3" high zero, should not have worked all these years....,and isn't precise enough....and I needed a 1/2" rifle to thread those needles...and a 100 yard zero....

I thought it was BS then, and I think it's BS now.

Mostly I have just dropped the hammer and things have died,and I never worried about this stuff....and frankly didn't know anyone else did either.

I like your "kill mode" logic wink...too much ballistic gack and excrutiating over tiny nuances tends to diffuse it and get in the way. smile

As a technical matter, the answer to my own question was that with a scoped rifle,you are hitting under the line of sight,all the way to 100 yards, with a 100 yard zero.....because you have deliberately set it up so that the first time the bullet intersects the line of site,is at 100 yards....at any lesser distance, you are hitting low.....how low? Shoot...and find out.

Does it matter? No. Neither does 2-3" high....because in the brush or woods, no one I have ever seen can hold 1/2MOA in the brush on the side of a deer, off hand....hell most can't do it from a bench! smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/11/11.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just know that a 100-yd zero is best for most of my deer hunting. You are throwing up a straw man- "these crazy Internet people say I can't shoot deer with a 3" high zero!"- while nobody is saying that.

I like to aim vitals and shoot- there's your kill mode- and that's easiest with the 100 yd zero for how I hunt them.

I do spin up to a 200 or 250-yd zero in more open country... hint...

(lol)

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My point Jeff, is (has always been)that distances (even in the thick stuff) are not pre-determined,and you are dealing with "trajectory" no matter how you zero....even with a 100 yard zero on those 50 yard shots....feel free to manage it as you will. smile

I'll take my advise from field experience, thanks;not the internet,where there is a pile of good advise on how to zero for target shooting....not so much, for BG hunting IMHO.

Just don't try to convince me your way is "the" way....BTW how DO you hold for that 30 yard "pop quiz"? crazy

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Whatever, one day I might snipe crows or squirrels and another day a 250 pound hog with the same rifle. 3" high helps me none, but if I feel that's the way I should run for the day, all I do is spin the turret before stepping out the door.

It's a dangerous world out there....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Maybe it's a dangerous world where you live, but not so up here..
Except for charging GRIZZLY'S of course..
But we are pretty much use to them... laugh

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Scott: Indeed it is my friend!..... grin

I never zeroed for varmints, the way I zeroed for BG...not suggesting that.

But with a couple of rarely encountered exceptions, for the genral run of BG hunting,it just always struck me as a pretty good idea, to zero one way,and stick with it for those more or less typical situations,say off the muzzle to 500 yards (rock throwing I know smile

This mostly because, through the day,or in a few seconds, situations can vary with terrain and vegetation,and "close cover" situations become "open area" situations pretty quick,and animals can be uncooperative,as when a hat rack buck blows out of an oak brush thicket where you had no shot,and 50-60 yards becomes 250-400 yards as he winds through a stringer of spruce and emerges in the open for a few seconds before he is gone forever, while you are scrambling for a rest.

BTDT,more than a few times. frown And the chance for a shot after 8 days of hard work,boils down to a very few seconds.

... a guy better not be looking at scopes,and doing anything other than getting ready to shoot,and that 100 yard zero that was "perfect" in the thicket, becomes a handicap on the 300 yard chance...Your eyes better stay on him, not on anything else, like changing scope powers,etc.So,a flexible zero always struck me as a pretty good idea.

Maybe I think this way because I generally concentrate on above average deer,pass up many,and get few chances in the course of a hunt,if at all....and these animals rarely give a guy much time for anything other than shooting,because most times, if they are not killed in the first 5 seconds or so, they are not killed...at all......They can be confoundingly slippery.

Keeping it simple has not been a problem,and solid chest hits have been the result,near and far.I just have not encountered Jeff's issues or problems with hitting stuff close or far, doing it my way..... frown which of course, may not be for everyone. OMMV smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Hammerdown, that's what I always thought..... confused

You guys are destroying the image of the great, white hunter. frown

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Scope arrived today. Communication with Sean at Leupold CS was fantastic. He indicated the scope basically ran out of room to adjust higher and shoot farther. I had used up 19 MOA for the 200 yd zero and only had about 7 MOA left. They still went ahead and checked it out by shooting it with their 300 WM and 220 Sierra MK via a box test. Passed with flying colors. They sent it back with their standard shim kit which consists of 3 each 12/1000 shims; 3 are long to fit longer hole spacing and 3 are shorter for short hold spacing.

I'll mount it in the am but doubt I'll get out to shoot it for 1-2 weeks. Darn it!

And zero cost for any of this to me.

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice people at Leupold.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would any of the Burris Signature rings fit your bases? It's my understanding they work similar to shimming. Just throwing that out as an alternative.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Scott: Indeed it is my friend!..... grin

I never zeroed for varmints, the way I zeroed for BG...not suggesting that.

But with a couple of rarely encountered exceptions, for the genral run of BG hunting,it just always struck me as a pretty good idea, to zero one way,and stick with it for those more or less typical situations,say off the muzzle to 500 yards (rock throwing I know smile

This mostly because, through the day,or in a few seconds, situations can vary with terrain and vegetation,and "close cover" situations become "open area" situations pretty quick,and animals can be uncooperative,as when a hat rack buck blows out of an oak brush thicket where you had no shot,and 50-60 yards becomes 250-400 yards as he winds through a stringer of spruce and emerges in the open for a few seconds before he is gone forever, while you are scrambling for a rest.

BTDT,more than a few times. frown And the chance for a shot after 8 days of hard work,boils down to a very few seconds.

... a guy better not be looking at scopes,and doing anything other than getting ready to shoot,and that 100 yard zero that was "perfect" in the thicket, becomes a handicap on the 300 yard chance...Your eyes better stay on him, not on anything else, like changing scope powers,etc.So,a flexible zero always struck me as a pretty good idea.

Maybe I think this way because I generally concentrate on above average deer,pass up many,and get few chances in the course of a hunt,if at all....and these animals rarely give a guy much time for anything other than shooting,because most times, if they are not killed in the first 5 seconds or so, they are not killed...at all......They can be confoundingly slippery.

Keeping it simple has not been a problem,and solid chest hits have been the result,near and far.I just have not encountered Jeff's issues or problems with hitting stuff close or far, doing it my way..... frown which of course, may not be for everyone. OMMV smile

Hi Bob. Kind of forgot we were conversing here.

Just using a 165 NBT in a 30-06 for reference, with a 100-yd zero I'm within an inch of point of aim out to 150 yards.

Zeroed at 3" high at 100, there a 3.5" variance from aim to impact, within that same 150-yd window.

The vast bulk of my killing happens up close, so I gear up for that. I'd fully expect you to do likewise.

It's no big thing to dial up to a MPBR zero if I want. It's marked on my turrets.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Ok, after I finished shooting a sniper match today (made every mistake possible) up near Park City, Utah about 6500', I had a little bit of extra time and the range, pretty much to my self except for a few guys who banging steel around 650 yds. I tacked up a 100 and 200 yd target. Got on at 100, then completed zero @ 200 yds. Had one of the guys get behind me with my Zeiss 15-45x spotter and see if I made hits or misses.

300 yd steel; BAM!

400 yd steel; BAM!

500 yd steel: BAM!

All in Nirvana is back again!

Alan

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice to know. Mine looks good, but I haven't mounted it on anything yet.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (808outdoors, 338Rules, 38HBWC, 35, 8 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,022
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.