Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone compred fixed power Meoptas to fixed Leupolds, specifically 6 or 8 power, I like fixed power scopes and hunt late evening, early morning, looking at both, but would appreciate input from ya'll.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
haven't put the fixed powers side by side but i did put a moopta meostar 3-12x56 next to a vx3 3-10x56.

During the daytime we could see but the meopta was just a smidge clearer, but when it got low light. quarter moon with cloud cover the meopta was an easy choice.

shortly after this i ordered myself a meopta, right before the prices spiked again. Prices will probably continue to go up as more and more people figure out how good they are.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little off topic but I just bought my first Zeiss. I don't like it near as well as my Leupolds.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i dunno what to think of that swamp.

these forums are so thouroghly soaked in sentament and sarcasm about lupy's that i have trouble telling the difference. lol

and another thing, I don't think meopta makes a fixed 8 power hunting scope. 7x56 and 6x42?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
jagd,
You are correct Meopta does not make a fixed 8 power, just 6 and 7, I currently have one of each on order. It was a long time before anyone posted and I looked thru one locally and decided to order them. I prefer fixed over variable and there are very quality fixed left. I am not a fan of Leupold and never have been, but I will never bash them, what is good for one person is not always good for others. I was looking for a comparative opinion which you provided and I thank you for your response. I have located a used IOR 7 X56 locally and may pick it up as well for a future build.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
with the meotpa 7x56 being down to $450 i've been thinking about picking one up myself.

did you order one illiminated?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Swampman700
A little off topic but I just bought my first Zeiss. I don't like it near as well as my Leupolds.
Anyone who takes your opinion seriously is a fool, so why even offer it?

That said, I've never looked through a Meopta so I can't compare it to a Leupold, but I can tell you the Zeiss Conquest is far superior to anything Leupold has ever put out.

Last edited by slowr1der; 07/04/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Anyone who takes your opinion seriously is a fool, so why even offer it?

That said, I've never looked through a Meopta so I can't compare it to a Leupold, but I can tell you the Zeiss Conquest is far superior to anything Leupold has ever put out.

He said as much himself.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mounted a Meopta for a client. I was unimpressed. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

I was using the Zeiss along side a Nikon Prostaff yesterday. I actually prefered the Prostaff.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I find that very strange. First of all, there are no 56mm, VX3 Leupolds.
Second, I'm wondering how you focused the Leupold. You see, the difference between tested light transmition for Leupolds between twilight conditions and daylight conditions is very small. So, there must be another reason for the differences you saw. E

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Giving the Choice i would take the High End Leupold over any Meopta. If you ever have to use the warranty you better hope you have a Leupold

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you had issues with Meopta CS Bea?

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just got back from the range. Was shooting one of my guns with a Meopta. I would say it was neck and neck with my Kahles CL. Both blew the 3200 out of the water...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nope, just have had a great track record with Leupold and their warranty service

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No question Leupold CS is great but Meopta's may be just as great or better could it not?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes it could, but just haven't been able to make myself buy one. Back in the early 70's i was a Redfield man and would use nothing else. I made the mistake of buying a Leupold and my life changed onced i used it. I sold all my Redfields and have been a follower of Leupold ever since the only scope i have now that i consider in the same league is the Zeiss Conquest and have four or five of them . I may try a Meopta in the future. I guess I'm just old school when it comes to really changing from Leupold to another brand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with sticking with a known quantity which has served you well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nsaqam
No question Leupold CS is great but Meopta's may be just as great or better could it not?

In Europe, Meopta actually has a better written warrenty now than the Big Three (15 years ~v~10 years)..

Over here Swarovski has without doubt got the best Customer service I have ever come across. Zeiss used to have a poor reputation for taking a long time to resolve things and charging for every little repair...That seems to have changed some what of late.

The customer service S&B and Meopta are some what unknown quantities as I haven't heard of anybody having to return one of their scopes.

S&B will ceratinly "customise" a scope and i have heard good reports of people having that done, but I can't think of anybody who's actually needed to send a S&B or Meopta in for repairs, although I am sure it does happen...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably have more than 20 Leupolds , not counting a number of Zeiss, Bushnell, 3200 and 4200, Pentax Lightseeker, the New Redfield, Burris, Trijjocon, Morovision MV-740 Night Scope. I have enough scopes to open a sporting goods optic store. Just don't have a Meopta yet.

Just give Meopta time to sell enough of them, anything Mechanical will break.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
I probably have more than 20 Leupolds , not counting a number of Zeiss, Bushnell, 3200 and 4200, Pentax Lightseeker, the New Redfield, Burris, Trijjocon, Morovision MV-740 Night Scope. I have enough scopes to open a sporting goods optic store. Just don't have a Meopta yet

I think the thing to realise about Meopta is they are not some johny-come-lately to the optics market and in many respects have a history and product base like Zeiss.

I think I read some where that they even built the optics used in submarine periscopes, along with medical optics, enlargers, projectors, plus assorted sporting and military optics.

They also supply glass, finished lens and complete units for other European opics company's "under contract". Zeiss's top end Spotters are supposedly made by Meopta for instance...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.