Originally Posted by rifle
yea,they suck..I went back to sipioning it out of my neighbors car

now i know why my truck don't get the fuel mileage it used too

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Also the one gallon jobs that you stick in the hole for chainsaws and lawn machines that have the little spring loaded nozzle that slides back and forth. they stop when the gas reaches the nozzle. I haven't spilled a drop since I got mine.

Alan
I used one to fill my garden tractor. It didn't spill a drop either. Of course, it's been propped up on the tractor since the 4th while it trickles in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's all California's fault.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crosshair
I love mine!! I have one of those with no vent and a big green lever with a safety on it. Best can I ever had! That is once I broke it. Now the big green lever isn't connected and all there is is a spring loaded button where the lever and safety connected. Works great now!

Did the same thing with mine. All three of them

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Ten days of hunting shuttling guys in and out of trail heads you tend to burn through some gas. We have four of the new *safety* fuel cans and they suck swamp S! We always end up pouring from the new ones into one of our old ones then into whomevers truck we are using. Major pain in the A, but we know we can never go back to the old cans unless you can find them at yard sales.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The easiest way to put gas in your car is the pump at the gas station. Mike

Yep, sure is !!
Now, pray tell - what's the easiest way to refuel when you abide 60 miles from the gasser and the tank is low - and then there is the tractor, and the ATV, and the generator (when the power lines are down), etc.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Its so bad we ended up pouring gas from newfangled containers into an old-style one that we have just to put gas in our cars.

Birdwatcher

The easiest way to put gas in your car is the pump at the gas station.

Mike

I don't have a gas station on my small farm, and we often hunt areas where the nearest gas station is a 75-100 mile trip on dirt roads...

whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm curious here,......WTF is the U.S. Military using ?

I mean,...if they're stuck with this same nonsense,....than what.

Oh ,...seek out and find old GERMAN "Jerry Cans" from the '60s and 70s,....again, garage sales and flea markets,......the small ones that hold about 2 gallons are FINE !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
GI cans run $40 at the army navy store here, then another $8 for the old donkey D--k . I have two from when I served and would get a few more if I found them cheap

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn !

I'd KILL (well almost) to get hold of 1/2 dozen of those 8.00 items,.....

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
It's all California's fault.

BINGO!

=========================================================
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can't put gas in blue cans around here - the Kan Kolor Gestapo won't let you put gas in a blue can, or kerosene in a red can, have to use yellow for diesel, etc. They keep spouting "it is the law" and company regulations, but I have not found the source of any such supposed law.
Does anyone know of any such "law" or regulation that dictates this can color nonsense? I have searched but can't find it.
Probably a regulation of some kind foisted on us by the C.A.R.B. people just like the new spouts. I don't know why the rest of the country has to suffer for the idiocy in Kaliforia.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the federal law is that you can't put any kind of fuel in any can from which it can be dispensed into a tank mounted on any motorized tool or vehicle.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I assume your comment was sarcasm?!
That is the way it is working, for sure!

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For the ventless gas cans I melted a hole in the top most spot (not the handle) & when the plastic was still soft, I threaded in a drain cock from an old radiator. One that I did needed to have a couple wraps of teflon tape to tighten it up.
To melt the hole I used a cheap electric solder gun that has a round tip on it.
New drain cocks sell for $1.99.
Works great ... no spills.

Dave
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Blitz made some red plastic 5 gallon cans in the mid 1990s that had a relatively small cap (compared to their earlier 6 gallon cans) and a nice yellow vent. I've had two for about 15 years and they are great. I just found another one at an estate sale for $1 about a month ago. Just 3 more to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tech Tip from Crossfire.

Those Black 5 gallon GI Water Cans are just about BOMBPROOF, there one glaring drawback being a special thread pattern on the spout,...looks like garden hose, but AIN'T.

"Panel" paint em' (just the sides) with that Krylon special for plastic,....white first, than OSHA Red over that.

You'll be cruising,....

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late last year I found a feed store that still had a pallet of the old style plastic 5 gallon jugs with a spout that stored inside and turned around with nothing on the end but a cap and a small vent cap on the other end from the spout. I bought 5 of them.

I still prefer the old metal cans with a metal spout. I've got 2 of those I inherited.

Looks like this...(by the way the place I stole the pic is selling this one for $55). Jesus Christ $55 gas can and talking about inheriting a gas can. What the hell is the world coming to.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 07/09/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD
Smart and hard working people worked a long time to make lots of stuff as good as it was, until the government decided it was their duty to mess [bleep] it up.

Nailed it. I want that on my gravestone!

I had a few of those new CARBhole approved gas can spouts, and their name got used in vain by me everytime I gased up the tractor....until I decided to [bleep] the spout and just pour it in.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I must be outta the loop on this one.. Is this a recent development or something? I haven't even bothered to notice gas cans at any of the stores.. Is this a federal thing or just a state issue?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.