-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife's father had a GSP that was struck on the nose. Newt blew most of the poison out along with copious amounts of blood. He made it.

Best of luck to Heidi.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hope all goes well.

I know there is a reason for snakes, but that reason isn't enough for me to have them, at least not the poisonus ones...

We give Cole Rattler vaccine... don't have many around here, mostly copperheads and mocassins.... just hope it helps if he ever gets nailed by a moccasin or copperhead.

In the meantime he had one snake training years ago and its worked so far.... I think we've killed 3-4 mocassins in the yard in the last year or so, one you'd have stepped on if you stepped out the door, but Cole was standing other side of the fence barking an agressive bark right after he went out the doggy door to pee at night....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I hear members here all the time saying they let the damn things alone...they'll change their tune quick if one of theirs gets bit...the one you let slither away today will bite your ass tomorrow. I don't go out of my way to find em, but I kill every friggin one I see.

+10 on that! There's plenty of the non-poisonous variety around to take up the slack.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
got my red healer in the side of the face.
wife had talked me into the vaccine,said yes,so there wasn't a battle.
these pics were taken @ 8pm.By 6am the next morning the swelling was GONE,and you couldn't tell he was bit.
never quit eating or drinking, the snakebit dogs i had as a kid
always sulled up somewhere and wouldn't eat or drink for several days.
i recommend the vaccine, hope your dog is better

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hope your dog fully recovers. Several years ago, I lost a fine young English Pointer pup to a timber rattler.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hope your dog gets over the bite quickly. We have a Ratterrier that's going on nine years old, he's been bit twice by a rattle snake. After thee or four days he was pretty much back to normal. Tough dog I guess. He takes on most anything from skunks,racoons, and even a badger once.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Wish I knew what God had in mind when he made rattlesnakes.....

Sight pictures is what he had in mind. And never mind what Swampman has to say. Think about it . . . . . the devil is called the old serpent. What do you think God thinks about the devil? wink

Sorry for your pooch. Hope she survives and lives on. Now KILL THAT SNAKE!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How's Heidi doing? I've lost a dog to a rattler and had two more to get bitten but they survived. I'll kill every rattler I see so don't come up here wearing one for a necktie. Fair warning.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Prayer sent,season's open on snakes!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bighorn: Come August 22nd 2,011 it will be 5 years to the day since I had a similar incident to your beloved dog Heidi!
My dog Henry woke me up with a yip at 2:30 A.M. with an unusual middle of the night request to go outside and relieve himself!
Well it was a warm night and I accompanied my dog to my front lawn - we were both naked and both had to pee. Me in a semi-sleep state and NOT wanting to fully awaken myself and Henry the lab quickly and happily went west to pee and I went east.
I took about 20 steps out into my lawn and on the 18th step I said to my self - gee I don't remember any dry grass or stickers in this manicured lawn as I thought I had stepped on something like that?
After doing my thing I walk back my bed and plop down hoping to get back to sleep quickly.
My wife left for work at 6:30 AM that morning and I began waking up then to a horrible pain in my right foot.
I had no idea that I had been bitten by a Rattlesnake - in fact I am NOT thinking clearly at all.
I am unable to walk and unable to focus clearly on a massively swollen foot attached to me - so I crawl to my bathroom in a nauseous condition and spend some time there.
In better light I look at my foot and decide I am hurt.
Hurt bad!
I think a while and decide I have been bitten by a Black Widow Spider (they live in my neighborhood) and I need to call my wife to return from her drive to work and take me to the hospital - I pick up the phone and the phone number I had been dialing my wife on 6 times a day for 8 years will not manifest itself in my mind!
Instead of calling 911 I slowly and painfully crawl to the kitchen refrigerator where all my families phone numbers are on a list.
I dial the wife and she comes home and is shocked by the size of my foot!
She speeds with me to the Dillon, Montana hospital where two different nurses unprofessionally scream at the sight of my foot.
The emergency Doctor actually chastises one of the nurses for this disconcerting behavior - he he.
The emergency Doctors are unable to see the fang marks (which days later became visible!) and we go on the assumption that I had suffered a Black Widow bite.
Blood tests and innoculations are rendered.
The pain in my foot and in my testicles was simply unbearable!
Large and repeated doses of pain killer are given - none of them relieved the pain at all!
Two days later the lab results return and they show my blood contains venom of pit viper - Rattle Snake.
Two days after that the fang marks appear (become visible) in the arch of my foot.
I never recieved any anti-venin.
The good news is I am a large person and the bite was a long way from my heart and from my brain.
I won't go into the whole recuperation thing but it was 4 months until I could get my Hunting boots on!
Needless to say I had a poor/difficult Big Game Hunting season - I did get an excellent Buck Antelope and a nice Deer but Elkin was out of the question.
I also wonder what on earth venomous snakes are good for?
I have had probaly 100 CLOSE encounters with Rattlesnakes and have been struck at dozens of times but never been hit - until this weird night time incident!
And I didn't even get to fully be aware of the bite or the presence of the snake!
The Doctor that treated me told me I was the second person that year he had treated for Rattlesnake bite that did not know of the bite until symptoms showed up!
I do know this - I NEVER want to be bitten by a Rattlesnake again!
I just this year have been able to say my foot and the muscles/nerves therein are back to normal!
I hope your dog also can make a full recovery!
Be careful out and about on hot summer nights.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hope all works out and Heidi recovers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,597
Posts18,511,341
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.