Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm floppin' like a fish with this decision. I hate the obstructed view through a regular topper, so I'm considering a tonneau - but which type?

Rigid/fiberglass - This type seems to be secure and weatherproof, but carrying a object taller than the box becomes an event. I won't carry large objects often, but it will happen (Murphy's Law).

Vinyle/Roll-up - Weatherproof but not secure, easily handles a large load. Would you leave your gear protected by a thin piece of vinyl?

Fold-a-Top - Good security, handles large loads, but weatherproof? Maybe not...

Help me out here please - who has which and how do you like it?

Thanks

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in the same quandry as you. I just bought a Chevy Colorado in April. I'm leaning towards a hard tonneau painted to match the rest of the truck.
I figure the few times I need to remove it should'nt bother me. And the painted ones are sharp looking and secure.
But first I want to get a Linex spray on bed coating before I get the tonneau.

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At least we have the same fine taste in trucks - I bought a Colorado too. I went with the crew cab.

The hard tonneaus are the best looking, but in addtion to the over-sized load thing I'm thinking I'll worry too much about it. Setting a cooler, gear bag, or chainsaw on top would be too much like setting it on the hood. I don't mind a few honest scratches, but the aluminum plates of the Fold-A-Top avoid that all together.

If the Fold-A-Top does a reasonable job of keeping out dust and the elements I'll probably go that route. They're a couple hundred bucks cheaper as a bonus.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got the extended cab LS with the 5 cyl. 5 speed manual.
My only complaint is the General Tires (don't grip) and the turning radius. I'm getting around 20 mpg cruising around back roads. My old Explorer used to get 13-14 mpg so I'm happy.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Fold-a-Cover. I was good for security, but it did not keep the rain or dust out. I finally replaced it with an ARE shell, and it is a much better choice and way more useful. With the tailgate sealing kit I added, it stays dry and clean inside the shell.

IC B2

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine,

What's an ARE shell? A link would be great - that word combo googles a bazillion hits. Thanks.

Robert Frost
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.4are.com/

I have the CX Series and really like it.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We also have a Chevy Colorado Crew Cab with a Fold-A-Top. My wife and I both like it. It looks nice, easy to set stuff on it, easy to fold back. We didn't expect it to be water proof so haven't worried too much about the water and dust that does get in. We haven't had much get that wet really. I would get another one.

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Darn You!

I was starting to settle on a vinyl roll up...

Does your truck have a tailgate gasket?

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a vinyl roll up and like it the only thing is they are a pain in the winter. Face it if someone wants in your truck they will get there.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I put an end to the fish flop and went with a vinyl roll-up. All things considered it seems to touch the most bases.

Although I find myself stifling a yawn...

Robert Frost
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The tailgate gasket works well when it stays on! What ever adhesive they use is tempeature sensitive.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I removed my topper from my tacoma and went with this cover http://www.davestonneaucovers.com/jack_rabbit.htm

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 204guy, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.