Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yes Swampy, I have a point. Read the two post above this... got that part? Now read your posts about using the 444 for elk. What is the main difference?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There are multiple reports on Marlinowners.com ref the FTX not penetrating as well as it might. These observations were submitted to Hornady. Hornady is now bringing out the Monoflex bullets, which should provide better penetration. Yes, the pointy tip provides better ballistics and stretches the useful range, but I, personally, would not be inclined to use the FTX for elk. The Monoflex, probably, depending on how field reports come back.

I would be more inclined to use the 265 Hornady flat point or a 300 Speer. A gas-checked hardcast would also be applicable.

And yes, I live in Florida, and yes, I have seen elk, including one herd of probably 80-100 animals, including several fine herd bulls. That was in 1990 in Colorado. Unfortunately, I was deer hunting, not elk hunting. This was not on private land, not on a ranch.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kcnboise
To the OP - I've killed 5 elk with the 444 at 150 yards or less. Four were one shot kills, the elk just stood there or took a couple steps then got wobbly and fell over. One was quartering to and shot through the front shoulder joint, put another one in him because I didn't like the angle on the first shot. First shot destroyed the knuckle joint, penetrated both lungs, and was found just under the skin on the off side.

All were taken with a Barnes XPB 225 grain bullet over H4198 or H335 (too much muzzle flash with H335). I did some wet news paper and water filled milk jug penetration studies and found the XPB slightly out penetrated the Hornady 265 grain flatnose, and no worries about it staying together. The four one shot kills were broadside with pass throughs, as was the insurance shot on the fifth elk.

Outstanding. That is precisely what I was looking for. Thank you. If I may, were you running the Barnes 225 XPB hot? Any chance at a chronograph? I never even considered looking at those lower weight "HP solid" Barnes bullets but you have piqued my curiosity now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Pretty funny that a poster that has only seen Elk in a petting zoo would even make any commentary on this subject.

Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Con
Just an annecdote from a local hunter I spoke with that used a 444Marlin on Sambar over hounds ... so shots were on moving deer around the size of elk. For years he used the 265gr Hornady in factory and reloads. Excellent performance, 7 out of 10 deer were stopped emphatically, with maybe 3 out of 10 travelling a tad further upto 50 yards, but never lost anything. When the 300gr Speer appeared, he bought x100 projectiles to try and loaded them up and kept hunting over the hounds as he always has. The bigger slug dropped them just as well ... over the course of a few seasons however he came to realise that the 2-3 that used to move on weren't happening anymore. At that point he became a 'believer' and when I spoke with him it was a near 100% performance from the 300gr projectile.

Now me personally ... I haven't pointed them in anger ... but I like to split the difference and load the 280gr Woodleigh as they're 'soft', bonded to open wide without losing weight and stubby enough not to take up much powder space. My 444Marlin has been shortened to 18.5", so the 280gr was viewed as a compromise between staying heavy and maintaining enough velocity to allow a longer shot if it crops up. Also helped that locally a Swift 280gr is a $2 pill, where the Woodleigh is a $1.20 projectile. For fun I run a soft generic 240gr with Alliant 2400.

Con

Great hunting story on the Sambar. Your friend sounds like "the guy to know" on hunting the game, I wish I knew him. Those Sambar look to share a lot of similarities. I don't know how "tough" they are to go down but they look to be a young cow or spike bull in size.

I completely agree on the Swift bullets. I used to load their 30 cal Scirocco for the magnum but they just became way too expensive. I switched to the Partition or even a Hot-Cor in a heavier pill. But those Scirocco bullets sure did shoot great.

Thanks for the input.

(BTW, is the hostility in this thread typical of the forum?)

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm not running it hot, but it is a max load. No chrony data, but it should be just shy of 2200 fps. They aren't solids - they are the pistol version of the X bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Pretty funny that a poster that has only seen Elk in a petting zoo would even make any commentary on this subject.

Then why are you commenting?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Only Elk I have seen have been in Field and Stream

FIxed it for you Swampy... Please don't comment on anything ELk related you have not hunted them and you surely have never used a 444 on one so why bother or are you psychotic?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted them, and you haven't hunted at all.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I've hunted them, and you haven't hunted at all.

I think somewhere you said you killed hundreds of them. I will post my pics if you post yours... Go ahead. I am sure you have some nice petting zoo photos Azzhole.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
We shouldt prompt him, he might have a fit and carry his 444 to the zoo......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
pdk...If you are looking to get into a battle of wits with Swampy...

Be aware that he is unarmed...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Akin to teasing the mentally challenged?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice PC way to put it.....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Poor guy, he can't figure out that the helmets keepin him from lickin the window.....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Poor guy, he can't figure out that the helmets keepin him from lickin the window.....

I tried to be nice to that azzhole and it got me nowhere grin Now some kids won't be able to pet Elkie because Swampy is going to kilt him.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've only personally seen one deer killed with the 444. A friend of mine shot a little doe last year with the leverevolution from about 100 yards. I carried it out on my atv. There were two exit holes where the bullet broke apart. But she dropped right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter

Howdy Jim...

So your not a premium bullet guy anymore or are the leveractions the exception to the rule?You once spoke premium for leverguns and your choice of North Forks but now the gummie tip?

Just curious to your observations with the Hornady gummie tip.

Jayco

I�m still running 350g North Forks through the .45-70 � no change there. Can�t get a premium for the .375 Winchester so I�m running 225g Hornady . Started playing with the .30-30 and FTX last year and was amazed at the results on paper � by far the tightest groups I�ve had, including .5� during load development. Took it to the range two weeks running and fired one shot each week. Too bad I used different targets as the holes would have been touching or darn near so.

I suspect I�ll give the MonoFlex a try later this year, after hunting seasons are over. If they work out like the FTX, I�ll probably use them for hunting and the FTX for play and most of my practice. The 170g Partitions and Speer FP I have loaded and have hunted with in the past are now plinking loads. Never could get good consistency with the Partitions anyway and kept reverting to the Speer.

Yeah, the levers are an exception. Especially the Browning .44 Mag � I�m happy with C&Cs at 1881fps at the muzzle. The bolts all get North Fork, Barnes MRX or TTSX, Swift Scirocco II or Nosler AccuBond. Still not sold on the last two but will likely try them again this year. I still have a box of Federal 160g Partitions for the 7mm RM from the days when I took them as back-up ammo fro my Grand Slam loads. Just checked out of curiosity, 17 loaded rounds in the box. The lot number is 350158Z239. Not sure how old they are but I�m guessing they are from the last century.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.