-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There have been many good thoughts explained very well in this thread. I have found it to be very beneficial. (I do have to admit that when I saw the title, my first thought was of the Teutonic Titwillow singing her song in "Blazing Saddles".)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've always wondered about your hat in the photo. Is it a repo of an early Calvary hat?

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems the fellowship you have found here is of the highest regard . No matter how tired you are , your posts here are as close as some can get to meeting you face to face.
Those that have and also those that have not yet had the chance to meet you express the same feelings as I think the above posts are truely heartfelt and geniune.
A few years ago , and probably still today you will point out my spellin ' and gramar mistakes . I'm no writer or verseman .
But , after reading your poem from a decade ago I was reminded of this one from ( I believe is from ) Robert Service :

A Verseman's Plea

If I should ever wax poetic...

If I should ever wax poetic
Please let me be apologetic;
For every verseman by mistake
A bit of poetry may make;
And sometimes it is really hard
Not to become a half-baked bard.

For stubbornly I dare to say
Pretentious poets of today
Are verseman ninety-five per cent;
And if censoriously bent,
You score out verse with pencil deft
You'll find there's mighty little left.

Yes, you may even play this game
With laureates of classic fame,
For those you designate divine
Have printed many a prosy line . . .
What, then, you may demand of me
Do you consider Poetry?

Originality of phrase,
Imaginatively ablaze;
The word unique, the magic fire,
That haunt, illumine and inspire;
Not lyric lilt, nor rhyme precision,
Not though, not melody. - just VISION.

So in most poems, to my mind,
Ninety per cent of verse you'll find;
Cull out the pure poetic strains
And mostly vulgar verse remains.
- Well, better verse of worthy weight
Than poems less than second-rate.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just wanted to say that I've always enjoyed your posts, Ken. Thanks.
---

The Irony!

The Moors attacked the village
The Christians ran and died
The smithy crushed and ruined
As was their Latin pride

And Rome was late in coming
No swords to protect the throngs
The Visigoths were slaughtered
Though the knights arrived anon

Their vestments mussed and wrinkled
The Knights of the Holy See
The forge was gone! No flame did burn!
Oh, the irony!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ken,
You may be tired, yet you have managed, in that one post, to contribute to many of us. Your thoughtful, considered words are as valuable as ever. My day is enlightened because of you, thank you.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,
I had a talk with my Navy Dad about enthusiasms and aging a couple of years ago...we ended up agreeing that, for many, interests tend to boil down and dry up about the time you finally realize you aren't going to get any better than you now are.
Then the choice becomes whether to fight the decline, sneak around it (the age-and-treachery thing) or find something else you stink at until you can't get any better at it any more. We further agreed that the choice separates the stickers from the dilletantes.
Fact is, over time you not only got good, but advanced the art. So yer entitled.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm tired of the woe is me posts on the 'Fire------------------------------------------------------

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ken, i wish we had shared campfires, coffee, and venison-and pray we will.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/07/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
it is OK to be tired ...

paul foreman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
I've always wondered about your hat in the photo. Is it a repo of an early Calvary hat?

O

No, the early Calvary hat is more of a crown. (of thorns!)

Sycamore grin

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mr Howell

As far as I'm aware of...your mind is still good therefore it is YOUR DUTY to convey to those younger than you the many gigabytes of stored knowledge that you have been blessed with....granted onto you by an Almighty God that has blessed you with a long and fruitful life! I'm not as far along in years as you; I'm only 71 years old and yes....I too get tired but I'm not going to quit...I will be a fighter until there is one breath of life in me! As General George Patton stated...."the mere thought of losing is hateful"! Each year I grow older I find and continually discover that my grandchildren are truly a blessing; whether I'm passing on to them my loves of hunting, shooting, baseball, football, a drive through the Rocky Mountains, or just sharing with them things of interest that I have witnessed down through the years! And if this were not done...from whence shall they learn it?? After I am gone...my experiences will be forgotten unless...these are passed on to those I love! With respect sir....yes...IT IS YOUR DUTY to pray to our Lord Almighty for strength to continue to use your mind and intellect to further the knowledge of those less fortunate than yourself!

Good day sir!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sir, your words, as usual, have more meaning because they come from you. I am beginning to feel as you do. You can be assured you have countless friends here on the "Fire" as well as around this wonderful country of ours. My hope for me personally is that I can make a difference in how this country is going before I have to leave it all behind. Good luck to you and enjoy every moment you have here.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good luck my friend even thought I don't know you. I get that way and You know what, I going to sell my things before my group does and then woundn't know what to do with it any way.When I was younger an money was there I got things now at 65 no big thing is it. Hope your people think of you alot I surly do. I know for mr its been a good ride

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm tired of the woe is me posts on the 'Fire------------------------------------------------------

Can't tell whether you are being flippant or glib - or somewhere in between - but would agree that "woe is me" is to be avoided. With that in mind, maybe you enjoyed Dr. Howell's post, because I did not read any "woe" in there. Maybe we are good at finding the emphasis we seek.

Last edited by CCCC; 08/07/11.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hhmph.

Your message is clear, understood and accepted.

I am unknown to you but for a PM or three, some prayers I've had in your direction and a care package from my kids.

I have learned much though reading your words, both the assembly and the message.

Know that your typing fingers reach long and far and I will continue to enjoy what you choose to share. I will also celebrate your life, the little I know about it, and strive to write just a bit better when my fingertips strike the keyboard.

Last edited by GrizzlyBear; 08/07/11.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sir may I say that this world is a better place with you in it.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm tired of the woe is me posts on the 'Fire �

Can't tell whether you are being flippant or glib - or somewhere in between - but would agree that "woe is me" is to be avoided. With that in mind, maybe you enjoyed Dr. Howell's post, because I did not read any "woe" in there. Maybe we are good at finding the emphasis we seek.

Aw, c'mon, Paul!

You know very well that we grown-ups have to take genteel pity on the poor puerile Campfire coprophagists who suffer perpetual pangs of penile fantasies that excessive cloacal capsicum exacerbates. Can't expect 'em to know the difference between "whoa" and "woe."

grin cry grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Utah Lefty's post has made me far more fatigued than I already was.

I am also in full agreement with your post above, well said Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
A friend of mine was surprised to learn recently that I wasn�t interested in shooting a gun. The reason for that is easy to understand, too simple to need detailed explanation.

The fact is that I�m tired, guys. Nothing desperate. Nothing complicated. Nothing profound. Nothing to complain about or to cry about. Not depressed. Not fishing for pity. Just simply tired. That�s only normal for a worn-out ol' husk.

I�m tired of shooting. Tired of hunting. Tired of guns. Tired of writing. Tired of out-living cherished long-time friends who were younger than me. All the gun things have lost their obsessive fascination. I�m just flat worn-out, that�s all. Simply worn-out.

I�ve been hunting since the early 1930s. Lost count, years ago, of the critters that I�ve killed and caught. Of the places that I�ve hunted. Of cherished, irreplaceable hunting partners who�ve died and left me behind. Even the memories are losing their savor.

Lost count of the nice guns (hundreds?) that I�ve owned. The cartridges and other gun stuff that I�ve designed and built, some for myself, some for others.

I�ve been writing since 1946 (published since 1947). Lost count, long ago, of the stuff that I�ve written through the years � from poetry and essays though several kinds of books. Hundreds.

My old friends are dying faster than I�m making new ones.

I have very few kin left � none close enough for visits.

The only thing that still gives me pleasure is fellowship with friends. I have many good friends, thankfully, but haven�t met most of �em face-to-face. Most are too far away for visits, so fellowship these days runs awfully thin, few, and far between.

Campfire Sh�thead is right � I�m the guy whom he called a �miserable old bastard,� but I�m not the guy �who refuses to die.� I�m a guy for whom happiness will be that fine, dusty, gray powder that comes out of the crematorium, with the dental gold sifted out.

That ol� sweet chariot that�s soon a-comin� for to carry me Home can�t come too soon or swing too low to suit me. But I can�t wade that gulf, so I�ll just wait for it. Ready to go get some rest.

A decade or more ago, I wrote this little thing for my family and friends �

Mon Bon Voyage

If pine trees sigh when I die,
Let no one ooze a tear.

If grass turns brown as angel�s frown,
It�s not �cause I�m not here.

If the sky be blue, let none of you
When sets my last day�s sun.

Where grass is green, let you be seen,
One and all, having fun.

IOW, don�t mourn, don�t miss me, celebrate! I'll be gettin' some rest! grin

Ken,

You have a LOT of friends right here, and this place is a damn sight better for having you. While I�m half your age (and that still means I�m old), I understand how you get tired. But we�re never tired of you. So you just keep on keeping on, and know we all love you my friend. Like I said, I wish I lived in the same time zone as you; I�d love to just come spend a day with you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pretty well know how you feel Friend Ken but we just have to keep on keeping on don't we.

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

377 members (17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.