Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Petzal is a hoot and if you prefer the likes of Michael Waddell over him you are showing your age!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave is the genuine article and doesn't bother trying to prove himself. His lasagna tastes just as good to him whether unmet readers like him or not.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Petzal is a hoot and if you prefer the likes of Michael Waddell over him you are showing your age!

Well said! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or, lack of age...

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Petro
I've been reading him since I was ten years old or so (1994) and find him refreshingly honest, practical, and as much of a smartass as I am, which I like. I haven't been around that long and I wasn't even a thought in my parents minds when guys like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Col. Whelen, or Warren Page were in their heyday, but people like Petzal (and a couple of others) serve my generation as a reliable tether to those of the "old guard" and help provide much needed direction in the days of marketing journalism.

Why do I think that the majority of the people who think Petzal needs to "give it up", especially those who would go so far as to verbalize their opinion without provocation from behind a computer screen, would be the first to boast of making his acquaintance at SHOT Show or in the field?

Very well said, Petro. You would probably enjoy the writings of the old guard you mentioned, and especially for O'Connor, the writings are still available in book form. Though a lot has happened in the gun field since their passing, there are timeless aspects to their writing that make for excellent winter reading with a good cup of coffee.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have several books by Dave, and have read a lot of his articles. I kinda like him.

Sam......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Dave is the genuine article and doesn't bother trying to prove himself. His lasagna tastes just as good to him whether unmet readers like him or not.

Resembles a couple of old geezers here around the 'fire. whistle

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Well said! wink

Technically I should be in the "Michael Waddell" crowd if you go by age...I can't stand that joker. Or any of the other "Realtree" yahoos and similar shows/hosts of their ilk.

Give me Dave Petzal, John Barsness, Mike Venturino, Elmer Keith, and Jack O'Connor any day (not listed in any order).

I don't know when M. Waddell started writing in Petersen's Hunting but I must admit that I seem to skip right over his articles every time I get a new issue (promotional subscription). On the other hand, I have just read for the second time, the compilation of stories "The Lost Classics of Jack O'Connor." I doubt I will ever get tired of reading JOC's writings.

Petzal's wit really strikes me too. One thing I have enjoyed lately is his blog on the Field and Stream site that he and Phil Bourjay (sp?) manage. Kinda helps me get a little Petzal in even though I no longer have a subscription to the magazine.

Last edited by War_Eagle; 08/10/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been reading his articles in the back of Field and Stream for years. He is entertaining and isn't just trying to sell something. This is in a magazine where you can only tell the articles from advertising by checking to see if it says "ADVERTISEMENT" at the top of the page.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I will tell you all a personal Petzal story and you judge for yourself what kind of man he is.

Years ago, he and I were at a Weatherby seminar at the Buffalo Horn Ranch in Junction, Colorado. We were headed back to the airport in a large van full of other gunwriters and we all had tight flights. The van had a blow-out in a little town called Parachute, CO. It was a Sunday, and no place was open or us to call for help (this was before cell phones).

Eventually someone from the lodge got there with a spare, we all made it to the airport, but missed our flights.

Of course tensions were high. Petzal was in line in front of me trying to get re-booked. It wasn't going well and the guy at the counter was making it worse by calling Petzal "Buddy."

Petzal popped and said, "I'm not your buddy."

He got re-booked, and then it was my turn. I would not get out until the next day.

I had no money back in those days. No credit card and very little cash and was facing the likelihood of having to spend the night in the airport with no way of getting food.

Despite having just seen Petzal pop, he was the only one I knew there well enough to ask for money. "Dave, I hate to ask, but I'm traveling kind of light. Can I borrow some money?" I asked.
Petzal looked me in the eye and without saying a word pulled out his wallet, gave me a $20, turned and walked away before I could say "thank you."

When I got home, I immediately sent him a check for $25. He immediately sent it back saying it would be usury to take advantage of a fellow man in a tight spot.

It was about more five years before I ran into Petzal again. It was on the floor of a SHOT Show and I handed him a $20. He asked "What's this for?" "Repaying you for Parachute, CO" I replied.

He had forgotten.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I love hearing stories like that, Scott. Thanks for posting it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The late Bob Brister (whom I didn't know at the time) had just arrived for a hunt on the Mescalero Apache reservation (NM) when he got word that his father was dying (Houston). There was no place to rent a car for the drive back to El Paso, and Bob wasn't having any luck finding a way back. So I volunteered to drive him to the El Paso airport. Some things are simply more important than hunting or money, no matter who you are.

Another gun writer ran out of film too soon at a SHOT Show, and there was no place there, open on Sunday, where he could buy more. So I gave him a few rolls of Ektachrome from my camera bag. He later "replaced" it, roll for roll, with cheap and chintzy bulk film.

Gun writers are like everybody else in one respect � some are princes, some are parasites (or worse). I could (but won't) name one who's a quite wealthy crook (a thief, among other things).

Dave P is one of the best of the lot, in all the ways already listed here. He's a friend whom I'd love to see more of. A lot more.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootinurse

There's an error in the blog. Maybe somebody who knows him could send him a note to which he'd attend.

Originally Posted by Petzal Blog 08/08/11
First, there is a strong tendency among people not to challenge conventional wisdom. As proof of that, I offer the fact that from AD 200 until roughly 1850, western medicine was based on the teachings of a physician named Galen. Galen did not know that blood circulated, or that the heart pumped it. He blamed disease on an imbalance among four bodily humors (black bile, yellow bile, water, and phlegm), and drew his conclusions about human anatomy from dissections of monkeys and pigs, not humans. But for nearly two millennia, Galen was more revered than Oprah.

Water was not one of the four humors; "blood" was.

--Bob

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Petzal. I like the way he writes.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I guess I don't understand. When I was younger and there were at most 3 options on the haunted fish bowl and few if any hunting shows, you could "get up" and change the channel if you did not like what you were seeing. Now we have many options and a remote but find time to watch and complain! Push the button.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have yet to sample a TV "hunting" show that I can stand to watch all of. So there's not even one on the "favorites" menu of my satellite receiver. Haven't even sampled one since I can't remember when.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like him.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me too...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I also like Petzal. I would gently suggest that anyone who thinks he "talks like a retard" is simply incapable of recognizing an intelligent man's sense of humor.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,693
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.