Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
It is coming up to the 330 day mark before I can purchase my tickets to RSA for next August. Have any of you experienced a better time to purchase air fare?

I thought buying them from the get go would be best to avoid any future rate hikes.

Life is too short to squabble - mend the past, live today, and dream of tomorrow
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd wait till Nov-Dec. Oil is coming off it's summer highs and ticket prices may drop.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I bought mine too early at about the 2200$ mark. When prices dropped, I called Delta and they gave me a couple of 350$ vouchers for the almost 500$ drop in ticket prices. Better than nothing but I still lost about $300 bucks on the 2 tickets. I would advise you to hang out for awhile and watch prices. BTW I flew Atlanta to J'burg nonstop on Delta.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Have a look on www.skyscanner.net it will show flights for the full year, you can get a bar chart up which shows you which are the cheapest days to fly on as well.
Choose which country you are in top right of screen.
Type in departure airport/ arrival airport, then go for whole month, it will then give you a list of airlines, click on which you want , then you get the bar chart, hold your mouse arrow over them and you will get the rate for going out and return fares.
Hope this is of some use to you.
Cheers,
Paul.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Use Orbitz next time, if there's a price drop they refund you the difference!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it is next summer, you do want to buy before the winter shows (SCI/DSC). The remaining seats will fill up quickly.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the advice gents, it is much appreciated!!

Life is too short to squabble - mend the past, live today, and dream of tomorrow
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
Use Orbitz next time, if there's a price drop they refund you the difference!

We booked this year via Orbitz to Namibia. Orbitz did find us the cheapest fares but, the above while true has a serious loophole we unfortunately discovered.

From the time we booked to the time we actually flew, the price of the tickets (same airlines, same flights, same dates etc) dropped about $250 per ticket. I called Orbitz to find out how to apply for/obtain the difference/refund.

The rep told me that I would receive a refund ONLY if someone else booked and flew the exact same flights, dates and times as our tickets. If no one else books the exact same flights before we travel we are SOL!!!

Since you have already booked your hunt if (when) you go back again, if you schedule your originating flight departure dates, I think it is before the 15th of May or after the 15 of Aug, you are flying on what the airlines call the "shoulder" of the peak season. This does not mean booking your flight before or after but actually starting travel before or after.

Two examples from personal experience:

Last year just after we got back at the end of Aug, SAA offered a 'two for" deal of $1000 USD (taxes and fees included) r/t from JFK to JNB. That alone would have cut our total airline travel ticket cost in half.

This year we went in July - tickets via Orbits were $2500 each - see previous Orbitz experience above. I'm heading back to ZA to attend a PH certification course in Oct. So far the best airfare from TPA to my destination in ZA is $1500 and I am hoping it will still drop to around $1200 or so.

Next year we have scheduled to go back to Namibia in May in part to travel "on the shoulder", but mostly to be sure we get one more trip in before the world ends!!! shocked

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You may find it less expensive overall to drive to Dulles and take SAA to JNB. I did that and was not disappointed with the service on SAA. No luggage fee, not even for the rifles and plenty of food and great service enroute. Round trip fares was just $1300. Ton of places to park your vehicle in secure parking for as little as $8 per day.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, at the risk of catching some schmitt, quit worrying about when to buy. Book the tickets, it's your trip of a lifetime. Quit worrying about $100-$200 bucks. The peace of mind is worth a whole lot. The tickets, June- August is the high season. You are going to pay $2100-$2400 to Johburg, plus extra to fly to other countries. Now if its your 5th-10th trip, thats's one thing, if it's your 1st, get them booked, and go on to other things that are much more important, in the grand scheme of things. If you haven't done so, contact Steve Turner, Travel with guns in Texas. It will take the stress out of your travel plans.

Mad Dog

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the info all. I guess I would be considered a tight wad - trying to squeeze every penny out. I have been saving for this trip for 2 years now. I was just thinking an extra couple hundred bucks could get a bonus tag - either another wartie or impala.

Maddog - enjoyed your extravaganza through Zim....sounds like you and your son had an excellent time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ahartman96
I guess I would be considered a tight wad - trying to squeeze every penny out.
Not at all! Damn airlines try to squeeze every penny from us, so I'd be shopping for the best/cheapest way also.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Being expensive and schitty service don't take the stress outta anything.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am not looking for the cheapest (crapiest flights)....I do like my comfort and will be willing to pay for it - like the Delta economy comfort!! Just looking for the biggest bang for my buck.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If SAA is still flying the Airbus A340, I'd avoid it. Unless they have made some major improvements in the seats and the pitch between rows. The pitch between rows was 31". That sucked and the hard as granite Recaro seats were miserable. It is not just my imagination, but everybody in the cabin going and returning bitched about lack of comfort.

I believe Delta is now flying the 777 ATL-JNB. I like that plane. I'll be looking up flights soon myself. Share what you find.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Will do H...

I will be flying out of Detoilet to Atlanta for a direct jo'berg....

When I was looking last year, the flights around 15 Aug were running around $1600 off of the Delta web site....

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought the economy comfort seats were worth it. Couple of reasons. Obviously a little more room and comfort, but also being up right behind business class, you depart the plane quicker and get thru immigration and on to the SAPS office quicker, ahead of the crowd. My son, because of his status with Delta, got us bulkhead seats on row 31 at the beginning of the economy seating. Being able to strtch my legs completely out, was worth it's weight in gold.

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My youngest son and I found the Economy Comfort seats well worth the added $$. As Maddog pointed out, more leg room. There is also additional pitch between the seats, and the seats recline 50% further.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I booked about 9 months out for the flight from Dulles to Joberg but I used Kathy Klimes and got the bulkhead seats which helped a little with legroom. Prices did go down but I figured having the bulkhead seats made up for the $200 price difference.

Of course some people don't like the bulkhead seats as they are slightly narrower to make room for the entertainment system and have a small airbag built into the seat belt.

Make your own decisions just remember that 17 hours in the air is a long time and I would focus on getting the best seats rather than worrying about paying a little more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rxgremlin

Make your own decisions just remember that 17 hours in the air is a long time and I would focus on getting the best seats rather than worrying about paying a little more.

You aint lyin' about that!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.