Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

1970s

That's a beauty right there.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by FreeMe
You don't need more holsters available - you just need to adjust your attitude. We buy these things to use 'em - not to look at 'em. OTOH - a kydex holster looks pretty ugly to begin with, and a leather holster with honest "character" still looks good, IMO. wink

I have a sexy black Italian leather holster that my Glock 21 rides in under my suit. However, when I'm going into the sticks, I've got it in a level 2 SERPA holster (a level 1 won't protect the rear sight). Also, my duty holster is a level 3 SERPA for my M9. Just like I don't wear the same clothes for all occasions, I don't wear the same holster for all occasions.

Last edited by CaptFlipCapsize; 08/25/11. Reason: I can't spell
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
There are a multitude of leather field holsters that protect as well or better, have BT/DT over plastic in scores of spades, and fit anything you want.

FreeMe remains right.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My God, how did people carry handguns in the woods before there was plastic?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Inside their jeans pocket! grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would love one of the HP from Cylinder & Slide, but the money is pretty large when I have other guns that work, but boy do they look nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well.
If you only knew half as much as you'd like to think you know, you might actually be dangerous.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull. It can even be done with the magazine safety in place. Ask Ted Yost. There's no laying of the hands, no praying at the altar of John Browning, and no replacing of parts. Good gunsmithing trumps bullshit "quick" fixes every time.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Someone farted!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Someone farted!

Dan
Obviously it brought you running. Like a bug to a porch light.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
There are a multitude of leather field holsters that protect as well or better, have BT/DT over plastic in scores of spades, and fit anything you want.

FreeMe remains right.

You are welcome to your opinion. Mine, based on having had to outdraw several bad guys in the line of duty, is that I will never again wear a leather holster where it is subject to the elements. Never. Most especially where it is cold and wet, because the snaps and straps get stiffer and more difficult to manipulate, and having once tied with a local gremlin in pulling our weapons is plenty for me. The next morning I went and got a SERPA level 3 duty holster, and it has saved my bacon more than once.

I have a leather holster for every sidearm I own, but I will not carry them unless concealed, where the extra levels of retention are not needed. High strength polymers are more suitable for me. In my part of the state, a lot of public hunting lands and WMAs have everything from escaped prisoners & mental patients to meth labs, so, again, I want to be able to index my sidearm with alacrity. Leather is sexy and classy, but polymers function better in the situations I generally find myself in. Your mileage may differ.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
So, now we've gone from carrying one into the pucker-brush after wounded deer...to engaging zombies, gang-bangers, etc.

Yeah...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CaptFlipCapsize
...the snaps and straps get stiffer and more difficult to manipulate....

Yes - that will happen if you just ignore them too long.

...Leather is sexy and classy, but polymers function better in the situations I generally find myself in. Your mileage may differ.

Don't care so much about sexy or classy. Leather is also comfortable and quiet.

But hey - you got your reasons, and I understand. Ever considered buying some kydex and making your own holster?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Ever considered buying some kydex and making your own holster?
Doesn't that take foresight and a plan?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Consistently the most reliable pistol I�ve ever used.

Me too !!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Like a bug to a porch light.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. grin

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well.
If you only knew half as much as you'd like to think you know, you might actually be dangerous.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull. It can even be done with the magazine safety in place. Ask Ted Yost. There's no laying of the hands, no praying at the altar of John Browning, and no replacing of parts. Good gunsmithing trumps bullshit "quick" fixes every time.

Well then get Ted Yost to log on and speak for himself. My bet is Ted Yost hasn't worked on anywhere near as many Hi Powers as I have. Still, I think the guy's a great gunsmith.

Look a-hole; this entire handguns forum is tired of your constant BS. I really don't think you're qualified to debate the Browning Hi Power with me (or anyone else for that matter). You humiliated yourself the last time you and I got into it, haven't you had enough?

I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what some other gunsmith thinks. Like I told Take_A_Knee about the name dropping...if these guys wanted to be heard, they'd log on for themselves.

I speak for myslef and I don't drop names to back up what I say, because I speak from first hand experience. You are NOT a gunsmith, nor do you have any technical background related to firearms.

I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers; how many have you worked on? Like always, you can't back up a word you say other than telling someone to call some gunsmith you've heard about on the web. You're an internet wannabe, you've proven it time and time again.

Flatulence has more technical relavence than you, so I'll just rip one and know I've heard from you; now piss off A-hole.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
How the Hell do you botch removing the mag disconnect, and swapping one factory spring for a Wolff spring?

Originally Posted by K1500
"The worst BHP trigger is still better than a Glock trigger."

I like the BHP, but that statement bears little resemblance to my experience. I had a BHP that topped out a 12 pound trigger gauge. The pull was probably 14 pounds. Yes, I bought the gun new, and this was after a couple thousand rounds. A gunsmith tried to fix things, but botched the job. I have also found more sharp edges than most guns have. With a good trigger and a dehorn, they are great, but even a Glock hater can't rationalize away a double digit trigger pull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bet is Ted Yost hasn't worked on anywhere near as many Hi Powers as I have.
My, my, aren't YOU a salty dog!!!! Now that you've promoted yourself to being capable of performing your very own blowj*bs, I'd expect we won't see much of you outside your lily white tower anymore.

Look a-hole; this entire handguns forum is tired of your constant BS. I really don't think you're qualified to debate the Browning Hi Power with me (or anyone else for that matter). You humiliated yourself the last time you and I got into it, haven't you had enough?
I've handled myself and handed you your ass many times over. I suppose the day you actually OWN title to this board, we'll all give you the respect you so desperately crave. (Strike that, I won't, but I suppose someone will.)

I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what some other gunsmith thinks. Like I told Take_A_Knee about the name dropping...if these guys wanted to be heard, they'd log on for themselves.
I have no need to "name drop," Little Miss Kevin. I speak from experience -- something you're certainly in need of to back up the braggadocio bullshit you post -- and can say I have Hi Powers that were worked on by this person -- not a ghost or myth -- and this was what was done. That pretty well blows the hell out of any petty attempt at insult or other empty boast you make.

I speak for myslef and I don't drop names to back up what I say, because I speak from first hand experience.
Which is sorely lacking.

You are NOT a gunsmith, nor do you have any technical background related to firearms.
Then I suppose you and I ought to be getting along famously, because you sure as hell ain't much of a gunsmith and I don't see much "technical background" coming from your ass. Just a silly-admonition to replace parts with this or that. Jesus Christ, monkeys and machines can do that. And without your self-absorbed attitude.

I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers
If you posted it on the internet, it MUST be true!!! I mean, no one would ever pad their resume and stroke their own ego on the INTERNET. Try again, dickweed.

Like always, you can't back up a word you say other than telling someone to call some gunsmith you've heard about on the web.
Why? Is that what you do?

You're an internet wannabe, you've proven it time and time again.
Nope, that's your area of expertise. I have no particular image I've cultivated, I crave no one's adulation, and I don't need to pull numbers out of thin air. I'll speak from experience -- firearms I own and have owned, work in which I have either performed or been directly involved in having performed, etc. You can sit in your mother's air-conditioned basement, blogging with your "World of Warcraft" buddies, and "shooting" your airsofts.

Flatulence has more technical relavence than you, so I'll just rip one and know I've heard from you; now piss off A-hole.
Back at you, stud.

Here, Little Miss Kevin, Bruce is definitely speaking to you here:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, if you INSIST on doing this.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull
I qualified by saying a truely GREAT trigger. You can get a good trigger by reworking the investment cast parts yes. But you don't "re-machine, re-cut" anything you idiot. All is done with a file and a stone, there is no need to use machine tools.

For a truely great trigger, why on earth would you spend all that time on a second rate hammer? This just exposes the fact you've never worked as a gunsmith, or if you did; you never made any money at it, because you don't know when to use issued parts and when to swap out for better parts. READ you idiot, I said TRUELY GREAT, not good or above average.

It can even be done with the magazine safety in place.
Why yes it can...Hey genius, care to detail exactly how it's done? And care to share how you do it all the while keeping the magazine safety and making non-rat-trap magazines drop free? No you won't, because you don't know how. Because you're a FRAUD, always have been.

Good gunsmithing trumps bullshit "quick" fixes every time.
Again, you don't know what you're talking about; there is a time when it just doesn't make any sense to work on inferior parts; but clearly you don't know when that is.

So, show us all your great wealth of knowledge and live up to my challenge of how you do a great trigger, keep the mag safety, and make factory magazines drop free? And be specific, list sear/hammer angles, spring weights and all. Take your best shot genius.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll speak from experience -- firearms I own and have owned, work in which I have either performed or been directly involved in having performed, etc. You can sit in your mother's air-conditioned basement, blogging with your "World of Warcraft" buddies, and "shooting" your airsofts.
On several occasions I've provided names and numbers for the experience from which I speak. That's my real name, and my real photo. What on earth have you ever provided to back up any of the BS you claim?

Man up, give your name, where you work, where you have worked as a gunsmith, what your technical backgroun is, and the names and numbers to back it up. You won't becuase there's nothing there.

I've had guys from the fire over to my house, they can verify anything you want. I've provided the names and numbers of the schools I've attended, places I've worked, and the publications I've written for. Until you MAN UP you're just a barking dog...woof.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,772
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.