Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Browning hi-power - 08/10/11

Never owned one but I often catch people having admiration for the pistol.

Is it that good ?
Posted By: iambrb Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
it is a fine pitol. Very old school....but then agian, I am old school, so it fits this old fart well.

Last of Browning's designs, but I do not think he actually completed it - someone will be along to give better history than I.

It does not fit peeps with small hands that well, but is easy to get around if you work on it. Likely the finest single-action 9mm full-size auto ever developed. There were many others made that did not fare half so well, so yes, it really is that good.

I once owned a nice one, and had the magazine disconnect removed and the trigger work, and had a super-fine pistol.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
While decidedly "old school," the BHP is a fine pistol that is an enduring classic. Mine is quite accurate and reliable. Even today, there are very few better choices in a defensive handgun.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
While decidedly "old school," the BHP is a fine pistol that is an enduring classic. Mine is quite accurate and reliable. Even today, there are very few better choices in a defensive handgun.

+1 all I carried for many, many years
The first "large capacity " 9mm.

Still very hard to beat the fit and finish of a B. Hi Power
Posted By: EWY Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Is it that good ?

Yes.
As others have stated it is "old school". A single action auto dating from 1935. Probably has the best "feel" to most people of any full size pistol. Great ergonomics would be a good description, but it is not an old school word. Conceals quite nicely for a full size pistol. Try one you'll like it. I stay away from +P ammo since these pistols were not designed for them.

Ernie

edited for spelling
Posted By: S99VG Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
I have a 1911 and had a Hi Power. I found the Hi Power had a far more accommodating grip design and was a more comfortable pistol to shoot. Their triggers are problematic. I traded my Hi Power off after it spent way too much time with a gunsmith who claimed he could improve the trigger pull, but proved otherwise. I ended up with a trigger that was worse than the "out of box" pull. It is a bit ironic the Hi Power is considered old school while the 1911 flourishes. To me it boils down to what caliber you like best - the 9mm or .45. Keep your eye open for a Hi Power with a good trigger pull and when you find one, buy it.

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
I just never felt the love when I traded into one, and I got rid of it.
Posted By: EWY Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
In my limited experience I have found that the triggers tend to improve noticeably after a few hundred rounds.

Ernie
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
The trigger is the Achilles Heel of the Hi Power. I got a pretty good trigger on mine, but it wasn't easy. The trigger/sear linkage with levers, etc. makes it much harder, IMHO, to achieve a good trigger on a Hi Power as compared to the 1911 with it's more direct linkage.

Other than that, it's a great gun, reportedly, Fidel Castro's favorite handgun. I think I remember seeing one strapped to Saddam Hussein. So, it can't be too bad with high classed endorsements like that...!

DF
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
Its my primary day to day gun

But it is an "old farts" gun...no plastic that feels like a brick with a a ganbanga aura, just steel and wood and class.

Mine has been carefully tuned by our head gunwrench and it is a shooter. Boringly accurate.

WildandlotsoffirepowerAlaska ��2002-2011
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by S99VG
I have a 1911 and had a Hi Power. I found the Hi Power had a far more accommodating grip design and was a more comfortable pistol to shoot. Their triggers are problematic. I traded my Hi Power off after it spent way too much time with a gunsmith who claimed he could improve the trigger pull, but proved otherwise. I ended up with a trigger that was worse than the "out of box" pull. It is a bit ironic the Hi Power is considered old school while the 1911 flourishes. To me it boils down to what caliber you like best - the 9mm or .45. Keep your eye open for a Hi Power with a good trigger pull and when you find one, buy it.

I bought mine new in the 70's
and hated the trigger.
I wrote Browning and they had me ship it back.
It came back in a couple weeks with the sweetest trigger this side of the S & W custom shop! Gratis!
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
The BHP is a classic and still a standard in many military's. I love the BHP and its one of the few 9mm's I will carry. They are old school but then so am I. Clynder and Slide make some great trick parts for the BHP and they do some fantastic custom work on them too
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
I have never been disappointed with a BHP. Mine are accurate, dead nuts reliable, and a joy to shoot.
They conceal well due to the thin frame, they come into play quick, and for me, point so naturally that a first round hit is routine.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
Consistently the most reliable pistol I�ve ever used. Ergonomics are outstanding, making it one of the most inherently �shootable� pistols in the world. Triggers � well, out of the box they�re very �different� but not really bad. The worst BHP trigger is still better than a Glock trigger. The magazine safety is attached directly to the trigger. So you have to compress the magazine safety spring when you pull the trigger. So you have a somewhat long, sort of spongy first stage, and then your typical short & crisp second stage. Anyone familiar with the two stage triggers found on a Mauser �98 rifle will be right at home with the trigger on the Hi Power. Remove the magazine safety and it�s not hard at all to get a decent trigger on a Hi Power. Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well.

In the �60�s the Egyptians made some SMG ammo that had extra hard primers. In response to that, several military organizations requested a heavier mainspring in the Hi Power, so ever since the mainspring has been increased to 32lbs; which doesn�t help the trigger at all.

To get a truly great trigger and keep the magazine safety, you have to:

Lighten the mag safety spring
Install a C&S trigger bar, which changes the trigger bar hole location. This means you have to drill a hole in your slide. Once done, it gives more leverage to your trigger and really helps
Change out the hammer for a C&S tool steel one
Sometimes you may need a tool steel sear�not a bad idea to just do it
Reduce the mainspring weight to about 24lbs
All is good.

If you want to lose the mag safety:

Do the same as above, but you can skip the C&S trigger bar, and you don�t always have to reduce the mainspring weight.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
heres mine, with C&S parts
[Linked Image]

WildandengravingbyjimwhiteAlaska ��2002-2011
Magazine safety is a hardware solution for a software problem....I hate mag safeties....I like to reload hot not dry and like the option of still having one in the chamber just so I can fire that round if need be before ramming the mag home
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
[Linked Image]

WildandengravingbyjimwhiteAlaska ��2002-2011

Nice.....I am jelous....gun envy going on here
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Browning hi-power - 08/10/11
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
[Linked Image]

WildandengravingbyjimwhiteAlaska ™�2002-2011

Nice.....I am jelous....gun envy going on here

Me to! I want one just like that.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
I guess I wouldn't be taking this discussion too far off track by asking if anybody has had much experience with the .40 Hi Power? I've never shot one and would like to know how they compare with the 9mm.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
Friend of mine has a .40 Hi-Power. I guess it is a little bulkier than the 9mm and recoils a bit more, but it is still SWEET.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
Im not a 40 guy, in general

WilditslikebeingalittlebitpregnantAlaska ��2002-2011
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
It's a great design, another one of those pistols that was highly ergonomic, long before the word was coined. smile

My brother has a .40, and likes it a lot.

Cylinder & Slide says they can get the trigger to 5# with the mag safety functioning. Mine is headed that way, soon.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
If I were to purchase a new one, which should I buy and who should I send it to?
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
"If I were to purchase a new one, which should I buy and who should I send it to?"

I'd say buy the best and send it to me.

Mine is not a Browning, but an Argentine copy.

Dan

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
I guess I wouldn't be taking this discussion too far off track by asking if anybody has had much experience with the .40 Hi Power? I've never shot one and would like to know how they compare with the 9mm.

I have owned this one for years. It is the best shooting, ie, most accurate, of all the BHPs I have owned.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Saskabush Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
Good enough for royalty... It is still the standard kit for Canadian and British forces.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11

The .40 Hi Power is a good gun, but significantly heavier. For some reason, after being a Hi Power man for decades, the .40 just doesn�t feel right in my hands. But I�m sure if I ever actually owned one, I�d adjust pretty quickly and it would be just fine. I�m really not aware of any issues related to the .40 and by all appearances, it�s every bit as good as the 9mm; and I consider the BHP to be the finest 9mm in the world.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by Saskabush
Good enough for royalty... It is still the standard kit for Canadian and British forces.

[Linked Image]

After the creation of the new 124 9mm NATO load, Hi Powers which were never created for that level of recoil impulse or pressure, began having problems with falling apart. The biggest issue was cam blocks setting back in the frame, which ruins the frame. Second most common issue were cracked slides. Keep in mind, the Hi Power may be all steel, but it�s a rather soft steel, and the design is very petite in many places, especially the slide. The Hi Power slide is the thinnest 9mm slide I�m aware of. With standard pressure loads, this is a total non issue, and a Hi Power will last several lifetimes. But when fed tens of thousands of 9mm NATO, the Hi Power�s just fall apart.

Knowing this, the Brits have been approached by countless handgun producers, including FN to provide a replacement that can hold up to the abuse of the 9mm NATO (Can�t think of the Brit cartridge designator off the top of my head). The Brits are just way too happy with their Hi Powers, so they have decided they�ll just put up with the accelerate wear and replace them as needed, because the Hi Power is so reliable and so eminently shootable, and I have to say; I heartily agree. This is one pistol you can pick up in stock form and completely trust your life to.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
I have owned a bunch of Hi-Powered over the years and they are really great pistols . I actually like them better than most of the newer brand name 9's for sale today. I have been on the look out for another one but no luck do far . Most are priced to high these days.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Browning hi-power - 08/11/11
It was the side arm of Canadian forces for a LONG time.
Not sure if it still is
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: Browning hi-power - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
If I were to purchase a new one, which should I buy and who should I send it to?
[quote=KyWindageII]

Gentlemen I have absolutely no idea why the last seven words were in my question. Senility?

Of the variations from Browning, is there any reason to purchase anything but the basic original model? Some of them look like they have "tactical" bells and whistles which serve little real purpose.
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 08/12/11
I would go with a basic gun...then look at what would make it better for YOU....then find the right place...I reccomend Cylnder and Slide......and have the work done you deem right...it is you that has to carry the gun...use it etc....make it for you not what some "Expert" says is the only way to do it....I am just saying..LOL
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/12/11
I've always prefered the basic Hi Power. If you want a practical defensive pistol, get a Mk III that has sights that are dovetailed front and rear; that makes life easier when you start customizing. Other than that, stick with the basic Hi Power until you figure out what you really like.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning hi-power - 08/13/11
Semi-related question...mine came to me prior to the end of the AWB, so it came with a 10 rd mag. I've found Browning 13rd mags since then, and they seem to be good, if spendy. Who else sells a good HP 9mm magazine?
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 08/13/11
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Semi-related question...mine came to me prior to the end of the AWB, so it came with a 10 rd mag. I've found Browning 13rd mags since then, and they seem to be good, if spendy. Who else sells a good HP 9mm magazine?

Any of the Military contract mags or Mec Gars are excellent.

Avoid Promags. They suck.

Avoid mags marked with waffenampts.

WildmayhavebuildqualityissuesandarespendybesidesAlaska ��2002-2011
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Browning hi-power - 08/13/11
As to "...experience with a .40 Hi-Power compared to a 9MM."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The only experience I have had with a Hi-Power is with the 40 S&W chambering. I once owned a Silver-Chrome, 40 Browning Hi-Power and now own a Fabrique Nationale, 40 High-Power.

The 40 Hi-Powers IMO are just GREAT handguns by any measure.

I have CZ pistols in both 9MM and .40 S&W, also Berettas and a couple high-end Walthers. I really do not notice any difference in shooting any of these handguns in either caliber. (But I usually shoot only Target Load FMJ.)

All these pistols to me are without flaw, but the one dimension that possessing a Hi-Power gives me, that my other handguns cannot, is the storied legend and on-going legacy of the Browning Hi-Power.

I do hope to get a Hi-Power in 9MM ... but I wouldn't trade away my .40 for one.

Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Browning hi-power - 08/13/11
Kevin,
Thank you for your High Power modification suggestions. I have been looking at HP's and saved your post for future reference. Your posts are usually very informative, MC.
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/13/11
A favorite pistol of mine. The grip design seems to fit the hand better than most pistols around. John Browning started the design but it was finished by Dieudonne Saive, whom most Americans have never heard of. However, many have heard of the rifles he designed after WW II - the FN 1949 and its successor, the FN FAL, a battle rifle that was used by most of the armed forces of the free world in the 1950s and 60s. Comparing the final High Power design to Browning's patent drawings, Saive's contributions to the High Power design included the exposed hammer/sear (Browning's patent showed a striker-fired design with trigger and trigger lever almost identical to the final design, but with the sear lever in the final design, which pushes on the sear to release the hammer, being the sear in Browning's design which releases the striker) and thumb safety.

Although the trigger pull in many HPs is heavy and creepy, a good trigger pull can be obtained without removing any parts - mine has a crisp 6 lb pull that feels significantly lighter, still has a functioning magazine disconnector, and an empty magazine drops free when the mag release is depressed. It was worked on a number of years ago by pistolsmith Teddy Jacobson. And in terms of accuracy, although no accurizing work was done on it, shortly after I got it back I shot a 2 1/2" 5 shot group hand rested at 25 yards, which is about as good as I can shoot.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 08/13/11
"Keep in mind, the Hi Power may be all steel, but it�s a rather soft steel,"

Kevin...have you been reading Bricktop posts again"

Dan
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Browning hi-power - 08/14/11
Damn... Now I have to and another to the list...

Thanks !
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Browning hi-power - 08/14/11

So is the BHP Mark III a better rig than the original - they still sell both.

I need to check how they feel.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/14/11

So is the BHP Mark III a better rig than the original - they still sell both.

I need to check how they feel.
Unless I've missed something, all currently made Hi Powers are Mk IIIs'. The Mk IIIs designation is the change to dovetailed sights front and rear, and the incorporation of a firing pin block, along with a re-designed firing pin...but mostly it's about the firing pin block.

Now that's on the technical side. As to which is the "better" gun, I'd say for most people any of the current manufactured Hi Power's are the better guns. Earlier Hi Powers are made specifically for FMJ ammo and may have some difficulty with JHP's. Also, newer guns have ambi safeties and much easier to see sights.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/14/11
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
"Keep in mind, the Hi Power may be all steel, but it�s a rather soft steel,"

Kevin...have you been reading Bricktop posts again"

Dan
Yep, he's my hero and inspiration.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Browning hi-power - 08/14/11

Mine too. Until I found out that Bricktop actually looks NOTHING like his Avatar.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/15/11
"The worst BHP trigger is still better than a Glock trigger."

I like the BHP, but that statement bears little resemblance to my experience. I had a BHP that topped out a 12 pound trigger gauge. The pull was probably 14 pounds. Yes, I bought the gun new, and this was after a couple thousand rounds. A gunsmith tried to fix things, but botched the job. I have also found more sharp edges than most guns have. With a good trigger and a dehorn, they are great, but even a Glock hater can't rationalize away a double digit trigger pull.

Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
BHPs are very nice pistols, but getting a decent holster is a problem. (I don't consider Uncle Mike's nylon one-size-fits-all holsters as options) There's a couple of nice leather holsters, but a decent, tough holster for wearing out in the sticks is hard to find. I really like SERPA holsters, but no luck finding a BHP version.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
Originally Posted by K1500

I like the BHP, but that statement bears little resemblance to my experience. I had a BHP that topped out a 12 pound trigger gauge. The pull was probably 14 pounds. Yes, I bought the gun new, and this was after a couple thousand rounds. A gunsmith tried to fix things, but botched the job. I have also found more sharp edges than most guns have. With a good trigger and a dehorn, they are great, but even a Glock hater can't rationalize away a double digit trigger pull.

Like comparing apples to oranges.

A Glock trigger is a stroke, not a simple release.

People hate what they don't know.

I've had them both. And re-worked them both
The Hi Power broke like frozen glass.

After it went through the Browning shop.

My Glocks all break at 3.5 lbs , at the end of the stroke.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
Originally Posted by CaptFlipCapsize
BHPs are very nice pistols, but getting a decent holster is a problem. (I don't consider Uncle Mike's nylon one-size-fits-all holsters as options) There's a couple of nice leather holsters, but a decent, tough holster for wearing out in the sticks is hard to find. I really like SERPA holsters, but no luck finding a BHP version.

What's wrong with a leather holster for the boonies? I use them all the time. Lots of good leather holsters for BHP out there. Milt Sparks, Simply Rugged, Galco, etc...you just won't find them at your local retailer as readily.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
Originally Posted by FreeMe

What's wrong with a leather holster for the boonies? I use them all the time. Lots of good leather holsters for BHP out there. Milt Sparks, Simply Rugged, Galco, etc...you just won't find them at your local retailer as readily.

While its easy to get a custom BHP holster, a regular quality holster company like Galco does not (to date) make one, although my understanding is that they will have them at SHOT upcoming. You can use their IWB Royal Guard 1911 or CZ75 holster though or a belt slide for either. I use those for my 210 too.

On the other hand, I did persuade Rich Gallagher at Galco to have his minions one off me a Miami Classic holster component for my custom FN HP... grin

WildometimesitswhoyouknowAlaska ��2002-2011

PS...gratuitious plug..I got my first CCW in NY in 1981? or thereabouts. Since that time I have used holsters from every company big or small, including Alessi (when Lou was still alive), Sparks, Rosen, Safariland, Bianchi, Galco, you name 'em I have used them. All I use now is Galco, their QC and CS as well as design are the finest out there...and their sales crew(especially to us dealers) is phenomenal
Posted By: gmoats Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
...While its easy to get a custom BHP holster, a regular quality holster company like Galco does not (to date) make one, although my understanding is that they will have them at SHOT upcoming...

....what am I missing Wildalaska....the online Galco catalog has numerous listings for the BHP...not sure I'm following you. Here are a few listed on their web site:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=103&GunID=23
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=155&GunID=23
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=647&GunID=23
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=889&GunID=23
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
A BHP rides JUST fine in a Gov't Model or a Combat Commander holster, thank you very much.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/24/11
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
A BHP rides JUST fine in a Gov't Model or a Combat Commander holster, thank you very much.

Not necessarily. Sorry, dude, but they're different sizes.

As to the leather holsters, I just don't much care for hosing up a nice, classy leather holster because I tracked a deer through briers or some such. Just my opinion.
Tell that to my BHP that rides, daily, in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for a 5" 1911, or alternatively in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion for a 4.25" 1911.
FWIW, I don't consider the Kydex crap any better than Uncle Mikes, so if we're talking garbage holsters, then, yeah, you might have a problem.

If you're talking about a good holster, from Rosen, Sparks, Mernickles, etc., then you won't have a problem.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
I didn't say that no 1911 holster will accommodate a BHP, just that they won't necessarily do so. For instance, a BHP will rattle around inside a 1911 SERPA holster in a very unprofessional manner.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
[Linked Image]

1970s
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
...As to the leather holsters, I just don't much care for hosing up a nice, classy leather holster because I tracked a deer through briers or some such. Just my opinion.

You don't need more holsters available - you just need to adjust your attitude. We buy these things to use 'em - not to look at 'em. OTOH - a kydex holster looks pretty ugly to begin with, and a leather holster with honest "character" still looks good, IMO. wink
Posted By: duckster Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
What is the going rate these days for a Browning HP?
Posted By: RJM Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
I traded my friend out of his 60s vintage BHP back about 1971. Had it for a year, put over 1000 rounds through it with not one bobble. He had removed the magazine safety and the trigger pull was very good. The grip fit like a glove but the one thing I didn't like about it was the short grip tang. I've seen them lengthened and they look great and probably end all hammer bite...

I traded the gun back to him and really not sure what happened to it. My friend died a year ago February and am not sure if his brother ever found that gun....

While a nice gun a Commander balances better for me...

Bob

ps..one thing to remember, it is not only the recoil spring that controls the slide velocity but also the mainspring weight. You lighten up the mainspring to lighten the trigger pull one should probably consider a heavier recoil spring especially if running +P loads...
Posted By: RJM Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
Originally Posted by duckster
What is the going rate these days for a Browning HP?

In New England, a nice used HP will run $600-750 depending on the exact age and model.
Posted By: Mink Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

1970s

That's a beauty right there.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/25/11
You don't need more holsters available - you just need to adjust your attitude. We buy these things to use 'em - not to look at 'em. OTOH - a kydex holster looks pretty ugly to begin with, and a leather holster with honest "character" still looks good, IMO. wink

I have a sexy black Italian leather holster that my Glock 21 rides in under my suit. However, when I'm going into the sticks, I've got it in a level 2 SERPA holster (a level 1 won't protect the rear sight). Also, my duty holster is a level 3 SERPA for my M9. Just like I don't wear the same clothes for all occasions, I don't wear the same holster for all occasions.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/26/11
There are a multitude of leather field holsters that protect as well or better, have BT/DT over plastic in scores of spades, and fit anything you want.

FreeMe remains right.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/26/11

My God, how did people carry handguns in the woods before there was plastic?
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Browning hi-power - 08/26/11
Inside their jeans pocket! grin
Posted By: duckster Re: Browning hi-power - 08/26/11
I would love one of the HP from Cylinder & Slide, but the money is pretty large when I have other guns that work, but boy do they look nice!
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well.
If you only knew half as much as you'd like to think you know, you might actually be dangerous.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull. It can even be done with the magazine safety in place. Ask Ted Yost. There's no laying of the hands, no praying at the altar of John Browning, and no replacing of parts. Good gunsmithing trumps bullshit "quick" fixes every time.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
Someone farted!

Dan
Someone farted!

Dan
Obviously it brought you running. Like a bug to a porch light.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
There are a multitude of leather field holsters that protect as well or better, have BT/DT over plastic in scores of spades, and fit anything you want.

FreeMe remains right.

You are welcome to your opinion. Mine, based on having had to outdraw several bad guys in the line of duty, is that I will never again wear a leather holster where it is subject to the elements. Never. Most especially where it is cold and wet, because the snaps and straps get stiffer and more difficult to manipulate, and having once tied with a local gremlin in pulling our weapons is plenty for me. The next morning I went and got a SERPA level 3 duty holster, and it has saved my bacon more than once.

I have a leather holster for every sidearm I own, but I will not carry them unless concealed, where the extra levels of retention are not needed. High strength polymers are more suitable for me. In my part of the state, a lot of public hunting lands and WMAs have everything from escaped prisoners & mental patients to meth labs, so, again, I want to be able to index my sidearm with alacrity. Leather is sexy and classy, but polymers function better in the situations I generally find myself in. Your mileage may differ.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
So, now we've gone from carrying one into the pucker-brush after wounded deer...to engaging zombies, gang-bangers, etc.

Yeah...
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
...the snaps and straps get stiffer and more difficult to manipulate....

Yes - that will happen if you just ignore them too long.

...Leather is sexy and classy, but polymers function better in the situations I generally find myself in. Your mileage may differ.

Don't care so much about sexy or classy. Leather is also comfortable and quiet.

But hey - you got your reasons, and I understand. Ever considered buying some kydex and making your own holster?
Ever considered buying some kydex and making your own holster?
Doesn't that take foresight and a plan?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
Consistently the most reliable pistol I�ve ever used.

Me too !!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Like a bug to a porch light.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. grin
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well.
If you only knew half as much as you'd like to think you know, you might actually be dangerous.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull. It can even be done with the magazine safety in place. Ask Ted Yost. There's no laying of the hands, no praying at the altar of John Browning, and no replacing of parts. Good gunsmithing trumps bullshit "quick" fixes every time.

Well then get Ted Yost to log on and speak for himself. My bet is Ted Yost hasn't worked on anywhere near as many Hi Powers as I have. Still, I think the guy's a great gunsmith.

Look a-hole; this entire handguns forum is tired of your constant BS. I really don't think you're qualified to debate the Browning Hi Power with me (or anyone else for that matter). You humiliated yourself the last time you and I got into it, haven't you had enough?

I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what some other gunsmith thinks. Like I told Take_A_Knee about the name dropping...if these guys wanted to be heard, they'd log on for themselves.

I speak for myslef and I don't drop names to back up what I say, because I speak from first hand experience. You are NOT a gunsmith, nor do you have any technical background related to firearms.

I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers; how many have you worked on? Like always, you can't back up a word you say other than telling someone to call some gunsmith you've heard about on the web. You're an internet wannabe, you've proven it time and time again.

Flatulence has more technical relavence than you, so I'll just rip one and know I've heard from you; now piss off A-hole.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/27/11
How the Hell do you botch removing the mag disconnect, and swapping one factory spring for a Wolff spring?

Originally Posted by K1500

My bet is Ted Yost hasn't worked on anywhere near as many Hi Powers as I have.
My, my, aren't YOU a salty dog!!!! Now that you've promoted yourself to being capable of performing your very own blowj*bs, I'd expect we won't see much of you outside your lily white tower anymore.

Look a-hole; this entire handguns forum is tired of your constant BS. I really don't think you're qualified to debate the Browning Hi Power with me (or anyone else for that matter). You humiliated yourself the last time you and I got into it, haven't you had enough?
I've handled myself and handed you your ass many times over. I suppose the day you actually OWN title to this board, we'll all give you the respect you so desperately crave. (Strike that, I won't, but I suppose someone will.)

I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what some other gunsmith thinks. Like I told Take_A_Knee about the name dropping...if these guys wanted to be heard, they'd log on for themselves.
I have no need to "name drop," Little Miss Kevin. I speak from experience -- something you're certainly in need of to back up the braggadocio bullshit you post -- and can say I have Hi Powers that were worked on by this person -- not a ghost or myth -- and this was what was done. That pretty well blows the hell out of any petty attempt at insult or other empty boast you make.

I speak for myslef and I don't drop names to back up what I say, because I speak from first hand experience.
Which is sorely lacking.

You are NOT a gunsmith, nor do you have any technical background related to firearms.
Then I suppose you and I ought to be getting along famously, because you sure as hell ain't much of a gunsmith and I don't see much "technical background" coming from your ass. Just a silly-admonition to replace parts with this or that. Jesus Christ, monkeys and machines can do that. And without your self-absorbed attitude.

I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers
If you posted it on the internet, it MUST be true!!! I mean, no one would ever pad their resume and stroke their own ego on the INTERNET. Try again, dickweed.

Like always, you can't back up a word you say other than telling someone to call some gunsmith you've heard about on the web.
Why? Is that what you do?

You're an internet wannabe, you've proven it time and time again.
Nope, that's your area of expertise. I have no particular image I've cultivated, I crave no one's adulation, and I don't need to pull numbers out of thin air. I'll speak from experience -- firearms I own and have owned, work in which I have either performed or been directly involved in having performed, etc. You can sit in your mother's air-conditioned basement, blogging with your "World of Warcraft" buddies, and "shooting" your airsofts.

Flatulence has more technical relavence than you, so I'll just rip one and know I've heard from you; now piss off A-hole.
Back at you, stud.

Here, Little Miss Kevin, Bruce is definitely speaking to you here:

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Okay, if you INSIST on doing this.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull
I qualified by saying a truely GREAT trigger. You can get a good trigger by reworking the investment cast parts yes. But you don't "re-machine, re-cut" anything you idiot. All is done with a file and a stone, there is no need to use machine tools.

For a truely great trigger, why on earth would you spend all that time on a second rate hammer? This just exposes the fact you've never worked as a gunsmith, or if you did; you never made any money at it, because you don't know when to use issued parts and when to swap out for better parts. READ you idiot, I said TRUELY GREAT, not good or above average.

It can even be done with the magazine safety in place.
Why yes it can...Hey genius, care to detail exactly how it's done? And care to share how you do it all the while keeping the magazine safety and making non-rat-trap magazines drop free? No you won't, because you don't know how. Because you're a FRAUD, always have been.

Good gunsmithing trumps bullshit "quick" fixes every time.
Again, you don't know what you're talking about; there is a time when it just doesn't make any sense to work on inferior parts; but clearly you don't know when that is.

So, show us all your great wealth of knowledge and live up to my challenge of how you do a great trigger, keep the mag safety, and make factory magazines drop free? And be specific, list sear/hammer angles, spring weights and all. Take your best shot genius.
I'll speak from experience -- firearms I own and have owned, work in which I have either performed or been directly involved in having performed, etc. You can sit in your mother's air-conditioned basement, blogging with your "World of Warcraft" buddies, and "shooting" your airsofts.
On several occasions I've provided names and numbers for the experience from which I speak. That's my real name, and my real photo. What on earth have you ever provided to back up any of the BS you claim?

Man up, give your name, where you work, where you have worked as a gunsmith, what your technical backgroun is, and the names and numbers to back it up. You won't becuase there's nothing there.

I've had guys from the fire over to my house, they can verify anything you want. I've provided the names and numbers of the schools I've attended, places I've worked, and the publications I've written for. Until you MAN UP you're just a barking dog...woof.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Outta the box it ain't nothing to crow about IMO. However, I've a got a 70's era pistol in the queue at Heirloom Precision right now with a delivery date of Spring 2012. After Mr. Yost turns that sows ear into a silk purse it'll be worth having.
Posted By: antlers Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers...

Wow! That's a [bleep]! If you worked on a Hi-Power every single day for over 27 years straight...it'd work out to about 10,000 Hi-Powers.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Working for an importer will give you advantages.

KG ain't bullschittin'.
Posted By: kend Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
CDNN sports
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11

I meant that as a suggestion - not an insult.
Originally Posted by antlers

Wow! That's a [bleep]! If you worked on a Hi-Power every single day for over 27 years straight...it'd work out to about 10,000 Hi-Powers.

Start here: http://shootersjournal.net/random-thoughts-on-the-browning-hi-power/

This subject has been covered before in detail.
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Outta the box it ain't nothing to crow about IMO. However, I've a got a 70's era pistol in the queue at Heirloom Precision right now with a delivery date of Spring 2012. After Mr. Yost turns that sows ear into a silk purse it'll be worth having.
I don't think it's a sow's ear to begin with, but it will certainly be nice when Yost is done with it.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Insist on "doing" what? Calling your dumb f*cking ass out for boasting? Yep, I insist.

A qualified gunsmith -- hint: you ain't one -- can re-machine, re-cut, and polish the sear engagement surfaces on the as-issued sear and hammer in the "later Hi Powers" for a great trigger pull
I qualified by saying a truely GREAT trigger. You can get a good trigger by reworking the investment cast parts yes. But you don't "re-machine, re-cut" anything you idiot. All is done with a file and a stone, there is no need to use machine tools.
Actually, gunsmiths -- that vocation to which you so longingly inspire to be, but just can't quite reach -- most certainly do recut the sear engagement surfaces if the engagement geometry doesn't meet standards. I don't necessarily expect you to understand this, I posted the comment for others.

For a truely great trigger, why on earth would you spend all that time on a second rate hammer? This just exposes the fact you've never worked as a gunsmith, or if you did; you never made any money at it, because you don't know when to use issued parts and when to swap out for better parts. READ you idiot, I said TRUELY GREAT, not good or above average.
You missed the point, [bleep]. I'd spend my shekels on a first rate gunsmith. Not some hack with internet access in inbred, barefoot Arkansas. Or on pot metal.

Why yes it can...Hey genius, care to detail exactly how it's done? And care to share how you do it all the while keeping the magazine safety and making non-rat-trap magazines drop free? No you won't, because you don't know how. Because you're a FRAUD, always have been.
Fraud? Nope, that honor goes to you and you alone.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about; there is a time when it just doesn't make any sense to work on inferior parts; but clearly you don't know when that is.
See earlier reference to inbred arkansawyer hacks.

Try harder next time, Little Miss Kevin. Or at least try.
Originally Posted by antlers

Start here: http://shootersjournal.net/random-thoughts-on-the-browning-hi-power/

This subject has been covered before in detail.
99% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I meant that as a suggestion - not an insult.
I simply made an observation for Tackleberry's comments.
And the dog barks again; put up or shut up Fido.

How many Hi Power's have you built, barking dog?

And the dog barks again; put up or shut up Fido.

How many Hi Power's have you built, barking dog?
How many can you PROVE you built, [bleep]? And referencing back to some ignorant bullshit you posted on your pissy ass "blog" ain't proof.
Actually, gunsmiths -- that vocation to which you so longingly inspire to be, but just can't quite reach -- most certainly do recut the sear engagement surfaces if the engagement geometry doesn't meet standards. I don't necessarily expect you to understand this, I posted the comment for others.
Well I've already provided names, numbers and my credentials. Again, it's my REAL name Dicktop; who are you? What are your credentials besides a foul mouth and a load of BS.

Stop dancing around the subject you wuss; lay out your credentials or STFU.

And here's how EVERYONE knows you for what you are, because you won't, because you can't; because you're NOT.
Well I've already provided names, numbers and my credentials. Again, it's my REAL name Dicktop; who are you? What are your credentials besides a foul mouth and a load of BS.

Stop dancing around the subject you wuss; lay out your credentials or STFU.

And here's how EVERYONE knows you for what you are, because you won't, because you can't; because you're NOT.
Your name ain't worth [bleep]. Quit bandying it about; you're only embarassing yourself.

You might be better off starting a forum for you and your video game virgins to play around on; I won't be there, life will be simpler, and you'll be SOMEBODY.

I want some proof of this 10K number. Until then, nighty, night, Little Miss Kevin. I'm on the road and have along day working tomorrow.
Doesn't take a genius to know that such a thing can't really be proved on the internet - just the same as Obama's birth certificate is/isn't real.

Also doesn't take a genius to do as you, Bricktop, have suggested to others and pick up the phone and make the call. You have his name, after all - and the name of his former employer. OTOH - if you give Kevin your real name and address, maybe he'd send you some hard documents. smirk Or maybe this is where you tell us you did send them to him and he ignored it....Prove that, why dontcha?
Still also waiting for proof that you are not a janitor at a university....
How many can you PROVE you built, [bleep]? And referencing back to some ignorant bullshit you posted on your pissy ass "blog" ain't proof.
See, we're not dealing in good faith here. I have, and continue to provide proof of who I am and what I claim, and you have yet to provide ANYTHING. So let's do this. I'll be happy to provide not only a Hi Power I have built, but I'll disassemble it, photograph it inside and out for all to see the workmanship. Test fire it, and then have the owner of the gun, log on and reaffirm that not only did I build the gun, but he'll tell you who he is and what he paid for the gun, and when. I'll do that...

Just as soon as you take the first step. You give your full name, a phone number (anyone can reach PM me and I'll be happy to share my number - several from the Campfire knows it and talks with me daily), your occupation and the phone number to your work. It's time for YOU to provide something.

Continuing with my creds...
I thought I made it quite clear I'm not a gunsmith by vocation anymore; haven't been for decades. Vocationally, I'm an energy buyer for a fortune 500 corporation, I buy diesel fuel and deregulated electricity. There are several on this forum who can verify that. I contnue to gunsmith for family and friends; for whom I don't charge.

I don't have photos of guns I have built, I quit gunsmithing before the internet became common, so never saw a need to photograph my guns. Still, in a pinch, I know a few guys who have guns I've built...just as soon as you start showing your cards I'll get some on the forum.

But since you've called me, I'll produce what I can for now (knowing full well you won't produce anything):
If you go to HBE Specialty Leatherworks ( http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/ ), click on Customer Phtos, photograph 203 on page 17 of customer photos you'll find a Hi Power I built about 10 years ago. It's in a holster ('cause It's a holster makers web site). You can also find it in the American Handgunner 2005 (I think) Tactical Annual. If you don't believe me, give Eric Larson a call at HBE Specialty Leatherworks and ask him about the photo. 801-916-9248 \ (if anyone knows how to grab that photo and post it, I'd appreciate it)

My experience at the importer, Pacific International & Armex International has been well established in previous threads, but if you're still in doubt, I'll give you the names and numbers of those who were there when I was there. And these aren't just random guys, they're all still in the indusrty; one of which can be found as the gunsmith on many of the gunsmithing videos on how to make,build, and gunsmith guns like the AK & FN-FAL. REAL people in the industry who have worked with me. You can verify them, and they can verify me. Lastly, you can verify my experience as a writer by calling just about any editor in the business; they all know me even though I stopped writing for magazines about 4 years ago. Or you can just google my name and find articles I've written for several magazines.

Or go over to http://makereadyforum.com/ where you'll find other writers like Mas Ayoob, Charley Petty, & Patrick Sweeney; all know me quite well, and they'll tell you I don't sling BS.

Lastly, I'm sure there has to be someone who lives somewhat close by. Anyone (but Dicktop) is welcome to come by and go shooting with me. I hope to post some video of me shooting on my web site sometime in the near future as well.

And AGAIN, I provide names and number and you provide what? What do you provide? Nothing but inflammatory crap toward anyone you can direct your foul mouth hatred against.

So let's see who has credibility here. A foul mouth jerk who only pipes into a thread when he sees the opportunity to humiliate someone on a public forum, who doesn't use his own name, and refuses to provide ANYTHING in the way of credentials whatsoever.

OR

The guy who's been on this forum for years, has never demeaned anyone who didn't start the BS wagon first. Who has provided credentials on AT LEAST a half dozen times. Uses his own name, has been published in most nationally recognized gun publications. Can verify that he has been a gunsmith, has worked for a huge small arms importer, who has trained with internationally renowned trainers (again, verified), and who freely offers backup to ANY claim he has ever made (for which I've been called on more than once). So who has credibility here?

Come on, I friggin DARE you to provide one shread of credentials. If you know so much, you should have NO PROBLEM laying out your credentials at all.
I want some proof of this 10K number. Until then, nighty, night, Little Miss Kevin. I'm on the road and have along day working tomorrow.
What kind of proof do you want? Do you want to talk to the importer? I can get him on the phone for you TONIGHT. But no proof will satisfy you.

I want proof of who you are, what do you offer me; more barking dog?
I doubt he could hold such a prestigious job.
Come on Bricktop...YOU have thrown down, YOU have said how it's supposed to be done vs. how I said it's done. So you've provided your way, I've provided my way. I've laid out my creds, now it's time for you to lay out yours.

Time to tell everyone how you're so qualified to be the all knowing critic at 24Hourcampfire. How are you so qualified? What's your qualifications?
Kevin...

You know he's just going to counter whatever you offer with claims that you lifted it from the 'net or some other such BS. He'll say the names and numbers you provided are plants. Even if you personally deliver the proof, he'll deny it. I or anyone else could chat with you face to face over coffee and pay group visits to all your old acquaintances, shoot the guns, and write notarized letters, but he'd just say we're all a group of KG stooges. All that matters to him is what he sees under his handle on the 'net. He'll just go on pretending it never happened.

I doubt if he has the stones to tell any of us (any of us who care, that is) who or where he really is. But hey - I'm willing to be proved wrong...
We could all show up at his door one day and take photos of the meeting and post them here - but he'd deny it ever happened and he'd deny authenticity of the photos. All that matters is what he states on the 'net.
Kevin...

You know he's just going to counter whatever you offer with claims that you lifted it from the 'net or some other such BS. He'll say the names and numbers you provided are plants. Even if you personally deliver the proof, he'll deny it. I or anyone else could chat with you face to face over coffee and pay group visits to all your old acquaintances, shoot the guns, and write notarized letters, but he'd just say we're all a group of KG stooges. All that matters to him is what he sees under his handle on the 'net. He'll just go on pretending it never happened.

I doubt if he has the stones to tell any of us (any of us who care, that is) who or where he really is. But hey - I'm willing to be proved wrong...
Yeah, you're probably right; he's just a troll, nothing more, nothing less.

I wouldn't bother but he specifically called ME out and said I'm full of chit. Just want to make it clear to all that I'm NOT. Hey, I know a much better way to handle this....thanks for the inspiration.
All,

Dicktop said I was FOS about Hi Power trigger jobs. I countered by taking it rather personally (I tend to do that since I use my real name and it's my ACTUAL reputation on the line).

Rather than try to debate an obvious troll, let's try it this way.

If there is ANYONE else who feels that what I've said is untrue, inaccurate, false, mis-leading or in any way incorrect, or even suspect. PLEASE PM me and I'll be happy to provide whatever proof you need. If it turns out that I have made some sort of error, I'm happy to be corrected and I'll give you the credit if you find error in what I've said.

By approaching it this way, I no longer have to engage in dialogue with the likes of Dicktop, and it becomes unnecessary for me to pay him any mind.

I'm always eager to help out a fellow shooter and I'm an open book, all are welcome to ask me any questions any time. And if anyone sees a need to want to confirm anything I have made claim to, I'll be happy to provide whatever information you need to confirm that I am who I say I am.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Kevin stop it! Please. Don't let bricktop jerk your chain like that. He's bored with nothing else to do. If bricktop had a life he would actually contribute something to this forum.
I doubt he could hold such a prestigious job.

Oh, I bet in real life he's a real sweet guy and maybe even a professional something or other. Probably real polite to his superiors (that would be...most everyone, I suspect). That's partly why he's so afraid for anyone to make a connection. Wouldn't want the real world to find out what an ass he can be.
....I'll be happy to provide whatever information you need to confirm that I am who I say I am.

That won't work either Kevin - cause we're all too stupid to know when we're being BS'd...sez Bricktop. smirk It must be true, 'cause I read it on the 'net - under Bricktop's hand. smirk
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
KG;

Toldja so... wink
Posted By: kend Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Hey Kevin, I'll gladly send you my HP to accurize. I appreciate the time you take to answer questions and offer opinions here. It's time for BT to find another form of amusement. Ken
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Friday i was in one of my favorite gun stores and a guy walked in with a hi power in the plastic box, foam liner. The hi power had the what i call "artillery" rear sights, and it was a assembled in portugal pistol. He wanted to sell it, needed money, and I don't want to quote what he got for it. Not much in my book. Very nice finish on the pistol, and looked and felt brand new.
Now i have a 40's vintage austrian police hi power, a FN produced for the israeli's hi power, and a older commercial hi power. Like the pistol. I didn't spend a lot of time jacking with pistol in the gun store but a couple of observations. One, in pulling the hammer back, boy was it scratchy in there, not smooth at all. two, it really did have quite a trigger pull on it poundage wise. While a cosmetically very nice pistol, that trigger/hammer wasn't smooth at all, almost like somebody put some sand in there. Kind of surprising to me. If i would have bought the pistol it would have had to be reworked. Surprised it was shipped like that. Wasn't anything like my older ones.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
and i am still debating removing that magazine safety. Wish i could resolve that issue in my mind.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
and i am still debating removing that magazine safety. Wish i could resolve that issue in my mind.

Cylinder & Slide says they can get a 5# trigger with the mag safety functional. I normally like to do my own trigger jobs, but mine will eventually go to them.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
is Bricktop a childhood name?

I've a clue as to why his folks referred to him as such!

KG he ain't gonna give up his creds, I got into a dustup with him on here and was willing to meet the guy, all I got was "fly to Tulsa give me your flight number and I'll pick you up".

Most everyone here knows BT's schtick by now, he likes to get up in yo gree-ill on the internet.

whether he's correct or incorrect on the subject matter is not nearly as important to him as acting like an azzhole.

but ime it's only a cyber grill he's actually interested in climbing up in it.

he's an amusement, nada more

though he does have those shipping regs memorized like some folks do Bible verses!
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Come on Bricktop...YOU have thrown down, YOU have said how it's supposed to be done vs. how I said it's done. So you've provided your way, I've provided my way. I've laid out my creds, now it's time for you to lay out yours.

Time to tell everyone how you're so qualified to be the all knowing critic at 24Hourcampfire. How are you so qualified? What's your qualifications?

Kevin,

You're trying to debate a liar. He'll only continue lying. He's actually quite like the race baiters in the Democratic party. Accusations after accusations, and no substance. He insults people who try to engage him. He's a sack of [bleep].

Put him on ignore.

Dan
Posted By: eh76 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
Kevin you are getting all twisted up for nothing.....it is "da innanet" as Bristoe would say. And as far as insults being bandied about you have tossed your fair share.

If you are going to claim the high road, walk it.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11

Time for a blood pressure check.
I'm over it; took it too personally. He's a piece of work and a classic troll; just need to stop feeding him.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Browning hi-power - 08/28/11
That's all you need to say about him Kevin. We all know who and what you are.
And we know what he is.
That's the end of it.
BTW, I do appreciate your informatyive posts as always. E
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
That's mutual E, I've learned my share from you as well.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
Exactly how insecure ARE you, Little Miss Kevin? You've spent a great deal of time fretting over me. You've harangued me via PM because you feel I've "tarnished your reputation." Besides elevating me to the center of your pissy-ass domain, you've tarnished yourself. You've cultivated a little internet image to which you're so desperate to maintain and you desperately crave the approval of strangers. It bothers you that someone might call your ass out. It bothers you a LOT, as evidenced by the constant barrage of PMs you keep sending me. Do you know how much you bother me? I went to sleep last night after shaking my head at your last desperate PM you sent, then I got up this morning to pack my crap at the motel, ate breakfast, discussed the testing agenda for some cooling towers with some contractors, drove into work, made a few phone calls, BS'd with a few people, sold a gun to someone in Tulsa, bid adieu to the contractors, drove three hours to home, kissed my wife, petted the dog, took a dump, and took a shower. Now I'm responding to your drivel -- I didn't recruit an ass-licking minion to do it -- I did. Because I'm that f*cking good. In the grand scheme of things, you rank somewhere below taking a dump.

You made reference to no longer being a gunsmith -- that's because you're not any good at it. If you were as [bleep]-hot as the legend you've created for yourself, the world would be beating a path to your door. Instead, you're just some lardass loser at a computer terminal in nowhere, bumblef*ck, Arkansas writing a blog and convincing the weak-minded and socially-inept of your "greatness." That's a great item to add to a resume, Little Miss Kevin. You crave attention in a controlled environment. You don't want anyone questioning you and you want to control and direct the conversation. You're trying hard to do that here, but the mojo ain't working, is it? Ain't that a bitch.

Your ass has now been handed to you.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
So, now we've gone from carrying one into the pucker-brush after wounded deer...to engaging zombies, gang-bangers, etc.

Yeah...

You carry a 9mm after wounded deer? That's illegal in VA. A VAnimrod should know that.
...the snaps and straps get stiffer and more difficult to manipulate....

Yes - that will happen if you just ignore them too long.

...Leather is sexy and classy, but polymers function better in the situations I generally find myself in. Your mileage may differ.

Don't care so much about sexy or classy. Leather is also comfortable and quiet.

But hey - you got your reasons, and I understand. Ever considered buying some kydex and making your own holster?

Well, I only used kydex to make sheaths for my machetes. Never tried it for a holster. As far as the leather getting stiff, I can swear and affirm that, in spite of the loving attention given to them by those whose lives depend on their proper function, the $140 Safariland leather level III duty holster I was issued very nearly got me and my partner killed, and most of it was fighting straps that were cleaned and Neat's Foot Oiled weekly. Cold and wet leather simply doesn't function as reliably as dead, inert polymer. I am not trying to proselyte. I carry both, just in different situations.
Posted By: jstall Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
Exactly how insecure ARE you, Little Miss Kevin? You've spenty a great deal of time fretting over me. You've harangued me via PM because you feel I've "tarnished your reputation." Besides elevating me to the center of your pissy-ass domain, you've tarnished yourself. You've cultivated a little internet image to which you're so desperate to maintain and you desperately crave the approval of strangers. It bothers you that someone might call your ass out. It bothers you a LOT, as evidenced by the constant barrage of PMs you keep sending me. Do you know how much you bother me? I went to sleep last night after shaking my head at your last desperate PM you sent, then I got up this morning to pack my crap at the motel, ate breakfast, discussed the testing agenda for some cooling towers with some contractors, drove into work, made a few phone calls, BS'd with a few people, sold a gun to someone in Tulsa, bid adieu to the contractors, drove three hours to home, kissed my wife, petted the dog, took a dump, and took a shower. Now I'm responding to your drivel -- I didn't recruit an ass-licking minion to do it -- I did. Because I'm that f*cking good. In the grand scheme of things, you rank somewhere below taking a dump.

You made reference to no longer being a gunsmith -- that's because you're not any good at it. If you were as [bleep]-hot as the legend you've created for yourself, the world would be beating a path to your door. Instead, you're just some lardass loser at a computer terminal in nowhere, bumblef*ck, Arkansas writing a blog and convincing the weak-minded and socially-inept of your "greatness." That's a great item to add to a resume, Little Miss Kevin. You crave attention in a controlled environment. You don't want anyone questioning you and you want to control and direct the conversation. You're trying hard to do that here, but the mojo ain't working, is it? Ain't that a bitch.

Either provide your credientials, as the man said, or STFU.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
Originally Posted by jstall
Exactly how insecure ARE you, Little Miss Kevin? You've spenty a great deal of time fretting over me. You've harangued me via PM because you feel I've "tarnished your reputation." Besides elevating me to the center of your pissy-ass domain, you've tarnished yourself. You've cultivated a little internet image to which you're so desperate to maintain and you desperately crave the approval of strangers. It bothers you that someone might call your ass out. It bothers you a LOT, as evidenced by the constant barrage of PMs you keep sending me. Do you know how much you bother me? I went to sleep last night after shaking my head at your last desperate PM you sent, then I got up this morning to pack my crap at the motel, ate breakfast, discussed the testing agenda for some cooling towers with some contractors, drove into work, made a few phone calls, BS'd with a few people, sold a gun to someone in Tulsa, bid adieu to the contractors, drove three hours to home, kissed my wife, petted the dog, took a dump, and took a shower. Now I'm responding to your drivel -- I didn't recruit an ass-licking minion to do it -- I did. Because I'm that f*cking good. In the grand scheme of things, you rank somewhere below taking a dump.

Either provide your credientials, as the man said, or STFU.
And yet another ass-licking minion responds on behalf of Little Miss Kevin. Another of my points has been made.
Posted By: jstall Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
You have no points you asswipe.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
The comment about deer was yours from earlier, Junior.

You painted yourself into that corner.

And, you've yet to do anything except pimp for SERPA-plastic. No mention of owning or carrying a BHP, at all. You know... the OP's actual question.

Then again, you're just "billy-bad-ass"", who hunts an area of the state that's remarkably more dangerous when you're there than when anyone else is.

Telling....

And, yeah, you've narrowed where your possible locations are down to just a few. None of them nearly as "Indian territory" as you claim.

Yeah...

You carry a 9mm after wounded deer? That's illegal in VA. A VAnimrod should know that.
Your deer comment... For reference.

Then again, let me guess, it still had nothing to do with a BHP, right?

Not necessarily. Sorry, dude, but they're different sizes.

As to the leather holsters, I just don't much care for hosing up a nice, classy leather holster because I tracked a deer through briers or some such. Just my opinion.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11

Is it that good ?
Bought my first Browning High Power in the late 1980s, and haven't been without one since. The best shooting 9mm out there, IMO. Also pretty easy to carry IWB, but naturally can't compete with something like a Kahr P9 in that department, but is probably the best carrying high cap 9mm ever designed.
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
Insist on "doing" what? Calling your dumb f*cking ass out for boasting? Yep, I insist.

You missed the point, [bleep]. I'd spend my shekels on a first rate gunsmith. Not some hack with internet access in inbred, barefoot Arkansas. Or on pot metal.

Fraud? Nope, that honor goes to you and you alone.

See earlier reference to inbred arkansawyer hacks.

Try harder next time, Little Miss Kevin. Or at least try.

Well Kevin and I both used to work for ARMEX in the Mid 80's which was in Sacramento. At that time ARMEX imported all the Inglis HP's in the US at that time that came out of China and some other parts of the world. Kevin is not BS'ing when he talks about how many were worked on....we tore apart...stripped then reparkerized them by the 100's every week....not to mention the BHP's out of Israel too...we recieved containers full of them on a near monthly basis....unlike you Brickhead Kevin has verifiable witnesses and proof to all that he says...you sir are without honor
Figure Kevin's right on all counts about the actual 'smithing as well.

VAnimrod;
I was clearly referencing something that I don't do. I'm not shilling for SERPA holsters, but I have had positive experiences with them in crappy weather, more so than my leather holsters. I have more leather holsters than SERPAs. Clearly, I prefer leather, just not in more austere environments.

The first handgun I ever owned was a BHP. I no longer carry it much, because my department won't let me carry a single-action "on my badge".

"In my part of the state, a lot of public hunting lands and WMAs have everything from escaped prisoners & mental patients to meth labs, so, again, I want to be able to index my sidearm with alacrity." I stand behind my statement. I've had one particularly unpleasant encounter when I stumbled onto a local entrepreneur tending his weed patch in Jefferson National Forest. He thought I was a business competitor, and it got exciting for a bit. No lead was exchanged, but it and other incidents did serve to bear out some of the far hairier encounters I've heard described from buddies. As I said previously, your mileage may differ.

I'm a DCJS firearms instructor. I've used a lot of holsters, from crappy Uncle Mikes's to custom leather jobs, and I have my preferences (Alessi, SERPA, etc.), based on my personal experiences. I never said you had to ditch your leather, or that I was gonna ditch mine.

So, are you like a troll or something? Just wondering why all the vitriol you've thrown at me.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11

He surely is, but making mention of it is unkind to janitors. The ones I've known were hard working salt of the earth men who don't deserve being lumped in with this clown.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Browning hi-power - 08/29/11
Kevin,

Thanks for the inputs to the thread and your experience with this pistol. My wife was flipping through the channels on TV and stopped on some sort of shooting competition where they set up all sorts of targets and difficult shooting scenarios that are timed. One was three handguns to shoot three balloons and I think the shooter had to stand on a board on top of an inner tube. One of the guns was a Hi Power. The three shooters had problems with some guns, but all hit the balloon first shot with the Hi Power. I have never fired one, but that got me interested in how the ergonomics worked. I went over to your shootersjournal blog and enjoed the Hi Power article.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11
mountainclimbr -

Thanks for stopping by ShootersJournal.net. We recently were visited by a hacker and have been having some problems, but we'll get those sorted out very soon.

The Hi Power is the most eminently "shootable" 9mm I've ever encountered. There's a reason why the Brits just refuse to replace it, the damn thing works so well.

The Hi Power benefits greatly by CAREFUL customization, but even bone stock, it's a pistol that will out-perform most any other 9mm.

I'll never forget shooting with a SWAT team for a large city and they had a guy who was having a really tough time qualifying with his Glock .40 (not picking on Glocks, just the facts of this incident). He was shooting at the 10 yard line, and I was way over on the other side of the range shooting from the 50 yard line with my custom HP. He walked over and asked if he could try my pistol. Quickly put 13 round mostly through the x ring from 10 yards with one or two in the 10 ring. The guy's eyes almost popped out of his head, he turned and yelled..."Hey L-Tee. Why the F..k aren't we using these?" I couldn't contain my laughter, but almost had to go rounds with the guy to get my HP back.
Posted By: gmoats Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11
...The Hi Power is the most eminently "shootable" 9mm I've ever encountered...

Kevin, I'm woefully inexperienced with the HiPower--the only one that I've ever owned was stolen before I had much experience with it. I noticed in a seperate thread that you wanted an early CZ 75. Can you in a paragraph or two compare the two--what are +'s and -'s of the two guns when looked at head to head. Thanks.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11

FreeMe remains right.

You are welcome to your opinion. Mine, based on having had to outdraw several bad guys in the line of duty, is that I will never again wear a leather holster where it is subject to the elements. Never. Most especially where it is cold and wet, because the snaps and straps get stiffer and more difficult to manipulate, and having once tied with a local gremlin in pulling our weapons is plenty for me. The next morning I went and got a SERPA level 3 duty holster, and it has saved my bacon more than once.

I have a leather holster for every sidearm I own, but I will not carry them unless concealed, where the extra levels of retention are not needed. High strength polymers are more suitable for me. In my part of the state, a lot of public hunting lands and WMAs have everything from escaped prisoners & mental patients to meth labs, so, again, I want to be able to index my sidearm with alacrity. Leather is sexy and classy, but polymers function better in the situations I generally find myself in. Your mileage may differ.

You sound like Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke. Perhaps your posts are accurate but you sound more like a "wannabe". When going into a meth lab or into a drug dealers house, my gun was in my hand until the place had been cleared. None of the officers I worked with went looking for quick draw opportunities either. Considering some of your posts and your sig line, I'm skeptical.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11
In my part of the state, a lot of public hunting lands and WMAs have everything from escaped prisoners & mental patients to meth labs, so, again, I want to be able to index my sidearm with alacrity..

If you'll actually read my post, you'll see that I mentioned meth labs as an example of the worst kind of crap you could stumble on while traipsing about the woods. The DEA has a map of clan lab seizures, a good number of them are in wooded areas where the bad guys can dispose of the by-products easily and where the smell won't tip off the neighbors. For the record, I don't do meth labs myself, but we do take down plenty of crack houses and growing operations, and I did attend the FLETC Clan Lab school. I don't look for, as you call them, "quick draw opportunities", but if you are indeed LEO you'll know the value of not having to tug and twist excessively to draw your sidearm. My previous holster required 2 snaps, a counterclockwise twist, and a rock back to draw. It's far too slow and complicated when the the leather straps get stiff in the cold and wet.

As for your opinion of me, my dear sir, I could not possibly care less, although your personal attack on me is rather bewildering.
Originally Posted by gmoats
...The Hi Power is the most eminently "shootable" 9mm I've ever encountered...

Kevin, I'm woefully inexperienced with the HiPower--the only one that I've ever owned was stolen before I had much experience with it. I noticed in a seperate thread that you wanted an early CZ 75. Can you in a paragraph or two compare the two--what are +'s and -'s of the two guns when looked at head to head. Thanks.

Many describe the CZ-75 as a double action Hi Power, and while there are some similarities, they are few. Mostly the similarities are aesthetic (especially with the early �short rail� CZ�s). Locking mechanism is very much the same, but that�s about it; most everything else in the CZ is different. But the CZ sort of handles like a Hi Power, if the Hi Power�s grip were a bit more pronounced and elongated. From the standpoint of a service weapon, the CZ 75 has perhaps the best service record of the more modern DA �wondernines� in military service. It�s been very well received and has held up in military service exceptionally well. If anyone were a Hi Power fan and felt some sort of compulsion to go DA, then the CZ-75 is the natural progression.

Between the two, I think the Hi Power is the superior weapon; but that�s just my opinion. The CZ is a tougher more robust pistol, able to digest oodles of NATO pressure ammo and will be working long after a Hi Power self destructs from NATO pressure ammo. The Hi Power points a little better for me, and is much more compact. The grip is smaller and more comfortable on the HP, and I�ve found that most people shoot the HP better than the CZ.

The CZ has a higher capacity and the shape of the grip makes control of rapid fire outstanding; matched by no other pistol I can think of. The CZ is an excellent pistol, but it�s a bit large and heavy by modern standards. The trigger reach on the CZ is very long as well and can be a touch of an issue for those with smaller hands.

My article on the Hi Power isn�t a review, but more informational from the standpoint of information you just don�t likely see on the Hi Power: http://shootersjournal.net/random-thoughts-on-the-browning-hi-power/

And here�s my article on the CZ: http://shootersjournal.net/cz-75-military-sidearm-extraordinaire/
Thanks for the review--I just read the piece on your website about the CZ and it seems like you really liked the trigger on the gun that you tested. I know that every handgun is going to be unique unto itself, but how would you rate the standard CZ in single action to the Hi Power with the mag safety in place? Thanks
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11

Cap:

Not going to argue with the sentiment of your sig line, but I wonder if you've ever read the rest of the paragraph, as Hemingway wrote it:

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue. Wine, when your tongue has been burned clean with lye and water, feels like puddle water in your mouth, while mustard feels like axle-grease, and you can smell crisp, fried bacon, but when you taste it, there is only a feeling of crinkly lard.

The first paragraph of "On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter", Esquire, April 1936.

I don't know if Hemingway ever personally liked the hunting of armed men, but he apparently knew something about taking a swig from the wrong bottle in the middle of a dark night.

Despite the fact that the first line is famously well-known, I've got to say, the rest of it is not his best work.

- Tom
First, remember that CZ makes a single action version of the CZ-75, and it's very nice. For a single action CZ 75 the trigger is far superior to a Hi Power. For a double action CZ-75 the single action trigger is better than an out of the box HP. If you were to remove the HP magazine disconnect, then the HP would typically (like you said, each gun is a law unto itself) the HP would have the better trigger.

To understand how the magazine disconnect complicates the trigger, you have to understand how the magazine disconnect works. The mag disconnect is actually installed in the trigger and there�s a spring and plunger in the trigger. The magazine disconnect bears against an inserted magazine so you have the spring pressure from the trigger return spring AND the built up spring pressure from the coil spring of the magazine disconnect.

The HP�s trigger with a magazine disconnect really isn�t �bad� per-se, just very unconventional for a handgun trigger. The HP�s trigger is much like a two stage trigger found on an old military Mauser rifle with a steady take up, followed by a crisp let off as the second stage. I�ve never had any trouble at all wringing good performance out of the stock trigger in a HP and find it preferable to most DA or trigger cocking handguns.

A gunsmith who really knows his Hi Power�s can get a truly excellent trigger with the magazine disconnect installed, but it�s quite a bit of work. Most just find it easier to just lose the mag disconnect and install the C&S hammer & sear, along with reducing the mainspring weight. Some may choose to mess with the sear spring, but this is a big mistake as the sear spring is not the greatest design to begin with on the Hi Power (for more on that, read my piece on ShootersJournal.net on the Hi Power), so I don�t recommend messing with the sear spring at all. Besides, after removal of the magazine disconnect and swapping the sear & hammer (then fine tuning the two), and reducing the mainspring; you have a trigger that�s pretty damn light. Any additional advantage a reduced sear spring would give you just isn�t worth it in my book.

With the magazine disconnect, I�ve found that Bill Laughridge�s replacement trigger bar is the best way. Unfortunately it requires one to drill another hole in the slide, but it changes the leverage from the trigger and really makes for a downright first rate trigger. This should be accompanied by some reworking of the magazine disconnect as well. Reworking the magazine disconnect can get a bit involved, depending on how re-worked you want to get. If you want factory magazines to fall free, there�s work on the spring, as well as reshaping and polishing of the magazine disconnect.

Thanks for your insight, Kevin.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11
First, remember that CZ makes a single action version of the CZ-75, and it's very nice. For a single action CZ 75 the trigger is far superior to a Hi Power. For a double action CZ-75 the single action trigger is better than an out of the box HP. If you were to remove the HP magazine disconnect, then the HP would typically (like you said, each gun is a law unto itself) the HP would have the better trigger.

To understand how the magazine disconnect complicates the trigger, you have to understand how the magazine disconnect works. The mag disconnect is actually installed in the trigger and there’s a spring and plunger in the trigger. The magazine disconnect bears against an inserted magazine so you have the spring pressure from the trigger return spring AND the built up spring pressure from the coil spring of the magazine disconnect.

The HP’s trigger with a magazine disconnect really isn’t “bad” per-se, just very unconventional for a handgun trigger. The HP’s trigger is much like a two stage trigger found on an old military Mauser rifle with a steady take up, followed by a crisp let off as the second stage. I’ve never had any trouble at all wringing good performance out of the stock trigger in a HP and find it preferable to most DA or trigger cocking handguns.

A gunsmith who really knows his Hi Power’s can get a truly excellent trigger with the magazine disconnect installed, but it’s quite a bit of work. Most just find it easier to just lose the mag disconnect and install the C&S hammer & sear, along with reducing the mainspring weight. Some may choose to mess with the sear spring, but this is a big mistake as the sear spring is not the greatest design to begin with on the Hi Power (for more on that, read my piece on ShootersJournal.net on the Hi Power), so I don’t recommend messing with the sear spring at all. Besides, after removal of the magazine disconnect and swapping the sear & hammer (then fine tuning the two), and reducing the mainspring; you have a trigger that’s pretty damn light. Any additional advantage a reduced sear spring would give you just isn’t worth it in my book.

With the magazine disconnect, I’ve found that Bill Laughridge’s replacement trigger bar is the best way. Unfortunately it requires one to drill another hole in the slide, but it changes the leverage from the trigger and really makes for a downright first rate trigger. This should be accompanied by some reworking of the magazine disconnect as well. Reworking the magazine disconnect can get a bit involved, depending on how re-worked you want to get. If you want factory magazines to fall free, there’s work on the spring, as well as reshaping and polishing of the magazine disconnect.

What he said. We dont, by the way, use Bill's sear bar or lighten the mainspring, we just install his trigger with the disconnect removed, use his hammer and work the parts. My personal FN HP breaks crisp at 5lbs and it gives my SIG 210 a run for the money in accuracy. If I wasnt so cheap, I would have
used Bill's sear too...o well, Ill just have the factory one recut once more before I swap it out..

WildloveshpsAlaska ��2002-2011
Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.

Einige Leute m�gen ihre unwissenden Seligkeit.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

Karl Sokol? No experience with him, just a bump for feedback.
Tom;

I actually did read the entire article, as I'm a bit of a Hemingway fan, and I wanted to get the quote right (I've seen several variations). However one may agree or disagree with his sentiments, he does have a gritty prose style that gets his point across. His book on bullfighting actually explained a lot about the event that I'd never heard of.

One of his biographers spoke of a hereditary blood disorder he had inherited that possibly led to his suicide. A shame, especially when contrasted with the fates of his heroes (Robert Jordan, for one).

Doubletap: Warum Sie mich hassen? Wir kennen uns nicht.
If I wasnt so cheap, I would have
used Bill's sear too...o well, Ill just have the factory one recut once more before I swap it out..

WildloveshpsAlaska ��2002-2011

Typically you can get away without using the C&S sear, the factory one is usually pretty good. The factory hammer is pretty good, but it takes a bit of work to get it as nice as the C&S, and when done, it�s still not the same quality as a C&S hammer. So when you figure in labor to get the factory hammer as nice as the C&S where the sear notch is concerned, it starts to make sense to just buy the C&S, because it will come out to about the same price, and when it�s all said and done, you have a better hammer.

The only time I�ve swapped sears is when a customer wants their trigger to be super fine, say under 3.5lbs, or if there are flaws in the factory sear. And like you, I typically stick with the 32lb mainspring when I�m building a HP for myself. I like that stiff spring, and I don�t much care for triggers that are too light on the HP.
Tom;

I actually did read the entire article, as I'm a bit of a Hemingway fan, and I wanted to get the quote right (I've seen several variations). However one may agree or disagree with his sentiments, he does have a gritty prose style that gets his point across. His book on bullfighting actually explained a lot about the event that I'd never heard of.

One of his biographers spoke of a hereditary blood disorder he had inherited that possibly led to his suicide. A shame, especially when contrasted with the fates of his heroes (Robert Jordan, for one).

Doubletap: Warum Sie mich hassen? Wir kennen uns nicht.

While I understand that for some, what Hemingway wrote is true, however; in this day and age, I find reveling in such things rather repugnant. Many resist the urge for mankind to evolve, but I'll gladly admit to wanting to evolve beyond that part of humanity.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Browning hi-power - 08/30/11
I'll respectfully offer an alternate view. The CZ75 is better.

The CZ is more robust. It may be carried cocked and locked, and when it is cocked the trigger moves back negating trigger reach problems for many if not most. While there can be a trigger reach issue with the CZ in DA mode, the HP has no DA option (I'm not a fan of DA, but the CZ has it if needed). I find stock safeties easier to find and swipe on CZ's, and, in fact, much prefer the CZ's ergonomics all the way around.

The HP is a bit easier to conceal as it is a bit thinner, especially up front, but they're both full-size pistols. The missing weight out front has a cost though as HP's have always seemed a bit muzzle light to me.

Finally, if you look at the cost of a HP and the requisite trigger/magazine disconnect job vs. the cost of a CZ75, there's a sizable difference. That money could go towards training, ammo or a good holster. (CZ's can benefit, of course, from trigger work but it's usually not required. CZ triggers are usually better than manageable out of the box and often quite good.)

Obviously much of this is just personal preference. So while we're covering that, I'll say that I'd put them both miles ahead of the plastic pistols. Nomex coveralls donned - roast away! laugh Cheers.

Well said TexasPhotog.
Capt,
Es war nicht an Sie gerichtet. Es gibt keinen Hass, nur einige Skepsis.
Doubletap;
Verzeihen Sie mir bitte. Ich glaube wenig, das im Augenblick verfolgt wird. Ich entschuldige mich, wenn meine Unterschrift Sie beleidigte.
I'm sure the original poster has long since left the building, but I had the guys at Novak work my BHP over, and it runs like a top. You won't regret the BHP.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/31/11
Wayne Novak was one of the original BHP specialists; he built the one's for the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team, and the first request in their specification was to remove the magazine disconnect. IIRC, that was also the FBI's request on the S&W 1076.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 08/31/11
So, someone visited your site and left a nasty? Wonder who might have had the skills to do that. Hmmmmmm

Dan
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 08/31/11
Did you get an error?
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 08/31/11
No, just commenting on your post about having been visited by a hacker.

Just pondering who might be able to do that. And, why?

Gives one pause.

Dan
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 08/31/11
No, just commenting on your post about having been visited by a hacker.

Just pondering who might be able to do that. And, why?

Gives one pause.

Dan

I am an IT Director at a small Oil Company in West Sacramento CA....as such I have to deal with hackers and the damage they leave behind...they for the most part are the lowest of the low in my opinion...if they cant get to what they want (normally something they can money on or use for ID theft) then they just tear some files up and cause chaos then leave...the worst are the "Script Kiddies"...third rate low lifes that have little if any skills and just copy scripts they get of the internet and then use them to pop accounts or sites so they can be destructive little pieces of poop.....I can not wait to meet someone who proclaims they are a "Hacker"...as he will have vented onto him a world of hurt because of all the nights sleep I have lost repairing damage left behind by ilk like him....ohhhh god do I pray for that day..
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
I am an IT Director at a small Oil Company in West Sacramento CA....
So much for you two [bleep] being ass-kicking "gunsmiths," huh? What a f*cking joke.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Another on my ignore list. It is short and very undisquinguished.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Originally Posted by mountainclmbr

That likely sums up BT's problem.......
And why is it you feel the need to announce that? I've often wondered why anyone feels the need to publicly announce that they are now "ignoring" someone. Do you have a problem with poor self-esteem? Do you have some sort of need to be reassured of your importance within a group? Why not just "ignore" and be done with it? There are better venues in which to seek your counseling. Because I'm definitely not a hugger.
Originally Posted by 222Rem
That likely sums up BT's problem.......
Not everyone can have it as "together" as you. Someday I hope to be as "tough" as you are, with your usual chatter about "knocking out" teeth and whatnot. Maybe you should bottle that kind of "testosterone" and sell it. You're just a paper assh*le.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
I have a BHP in 40S&W and when new it was tuff to pull back the slide.
Now after a few hundred rounds down the tube it has lightened up a bunch.The trigger is some what heavier than my colt 45 but I hope when it gets shot more it will feel better.
I just don't feel to buy new parts for a new pistol.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
There's not much of a need, at least not on the current Hi Power iterations. (Ambidextrous safety, decent sights, etc.) Most of these "custom" parts providers have worked their way into the psyche of shooters who want to believe they NEED these parts. (Particularly through sycophantic jackasses on internet message boards.) If they buy a new hammer, sear, trigger, etc. then the ladies will love them, their fortunes will make an upswing, and the planets will align. Most HPs need nothing more than a trigger job by a QUALIFIED gunsmith, a pile of ball ammo for plinking, and range time.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
I got a wooden leg and a wooden trigger finger ... A "trigger job" on my stock Hi-Power wouldn't do me Jack.

I can shoot it just fine - just the way the pistol come from Belgium.

But I don't like the splinters I sometimes get up my ...
Originally Posted by P_Weed
But I don't like the splinters I sometimes get up my ...
So much more than we needed to know. crazy
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Originally Posted by plainsman456
There's not much of a need, at least not on the current Hi Power iterations. (Ambidextrous safety, decent sights, etc.) Most of these "custom" parts providers have worked their way into the psyche of shooters who want to believe they NEED these parts. (Particularly through sycophantic jackasses on internet message boards.) If they buy a new hammer, sear, trigger, etc. then the ladies will love them, their fortunes will make an upswing, and the planets will align. Most HPs need nothing more than a trigger job by a QUALIFIED gunsmith, a pile of ball ammo for plinking, and range time.
OMG, I find myself in agreement with Bricktop. There�s a lot of truth in that statement. I have multiple personality disorder where the Hi Power is concerned. I happen to think it�s an excellent pistol right out of the box, trigger and all. On the other hand, I also think the Hi Power is one pistol that benefits greatly from careful customization. And said customization doesn�t really need to be an all out job. Big improvements can be had with (like you said) some trigger work, and a set of Spegel grips (Uncle Mikes if you�re on a budget). Since I hold with a high thumb, I will typically change or modify the safety since the hump where the left side �paddle� is crimped to the post really sticks out and digs into my hand when I hold with a high thumb hold. For those who don�t use the same hold, it�s no problem at all.

But truth be known, I won�t buy a Hi Power that�s been customized because I have no idea if it was done right.
So much for you two [bleep] being ass-kicking "gunsmiths," huh? What a f*cking joke.
You just can't help yourself...I just can't figure out what you get out of this.

Gunsmithing was fine when we were young and didn't have families, but it doesn't pay very well, until you're at the top of the heap. You tend to not make very good money, while working very long hours. Sure, you do alright hourly on your jobs, but it's the non-paying stuff that averages your pay WAY down. After all the work is done, you still have a business to run. So after 8-10 hours of work at the bench, you spend 2-4 hours each night, cleaning up (you have any idea how hard it is to keep a bluing room clean?), maintaining your tools & equipment, placing orders for parts, tools, & supplies, booking in & booking out guns, setting up your next shipping order, etc. Yeah we could have stuck it out and worked our way to national recognition (James would have gotten there much faster than I would). But then real jobs with much better pay came along and we took it. When kids came along, it was no longer about us, now we needed medical coverage for our families; and that's really hard to do on a gunsmith's salary. Sorry, I just wasn't willing to gamble the health of my family to further a career I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in anyhow. For me, gunsmithing as a profession was beginning to take the fun out of my hobby. I couldn't show up to the range without someone asking me questions about fixing this, improving that, or how do you do this or that. Obviously from my writing and hanging out here, I like to help others; but sometimes it can get out of hand.

Now neither of us claim to be �ass-kicking� gunsmiths (or anything else), but we do claim to be gunsmiths that either knows what we�re doing, or we don�t do it. There are some things that I know about because I�ve personally done it. There are other things that I know about because I�ve watched gunsmiths who were FAR better than I do. And then there are things I just know nothing about. I don�t work on belt feed machineguns or drillings; both are admittedly over my head. With fine double guns there is precious few things I�ll do and I�ll always refer to a gentleman I know who worked at Purdey�s. Now I can explain how some things are done, but I�ll FREELY admit that I�ve never done it myself; and I wish you were man enough to admit that you�ve never done any real gunsmithing yourself.

Whereas YOU, have no problems wading in with both feet on a subject you really don�t know about. You�re like a doctor right out of medical school. Just enough knowledge to THINK you know what you�re talking about, until you try to strut like a rooster with all your grand knowledge just to find out, you�re only at the tip of the iceburg.

Look, I�ve been gunsmithing for damn near 30 years and I still don�t know chit. I can tell by what you write that you�ve READ about gunsmithing, but it�s painfully obvious to me, and even those who aren�t gunsmiths that you haven�t really picked up tools and actually done any meaningful gunsmithing yourself. But man you sure know how to criticize.

I�m very happy to not be a full time gunsmith anymore; now I enjoy gunsmithing when I do it. I like the job I do, to me it�s far more interesting and challenging than gunsmithing and it pays better with FAR better benefits than any gunsmithing job I know of.

So if you were someone who has actually done any gunsmithing, then we could have a meaningful conversation. But it seems to me the only thing you�re capable of is puffing up your ego and barking like a little s ankle biting dog with a mouth full of $#!T.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
You just can't help yourself...I just can't figure out what you get out of this.

Gunsmithing was fine when we were young and didn't have families, but it doesn't pay very well, until you're at the top of the heap. You tend to not make very good money, while working very long hours. Sure, you do alright hourly on your jobs, but it's the non-paying stuff that averages your pay WAY down. After all the work is done, you still have a business to run. So after 8-10 hours of work at the bench, you spend 2-4 hours each night, cleaning up (you have any idea how hard it is to keep a bluing room clean?), maintaining your tools & equipment, placing orders for parts, tools, & supplies, booking in & booking out guns, setting up your next shipping order, etc. Yeah we could have stuck it out and worked our way to national recognition (James would have gotten there much faster than I would). But then real jobs with much better pay came along and we took it. When kids came along, it was no longer about us, now we needed medical coverage for our families; and that's really hard to do on a gunsmith's salary. Sorry, I just wasn't willing to gamble the health of my family to further a career I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in anyhow. For me, gunsmithing as a profession was beginning to take the fun out of my hobby. I couldn't show up to the range without someone asking me questions about fixing this, improving that, or how do you do this or that. Obviously from my writing and hanging out here, I like to help others; but sometimes it can get out of hand.

Now neither of us claim to be �ass-kicking� gunsmiths (or anything else), but we do claim to be gunsmiths that either knows what we�re doing, or we don�t do it. There are some things that I know about because I�ve personally done it. There are other things that I know about because I�ve watched gunsmiths who were FAR better than I do. And then there are things I just know nothing about. I don�t work on belt feed machineguns or drillings; both are admittedly over my head. With fine double guns there is precious few things I�ll do and I�ll always refer to a gentleman I know who worked at Purdey�s. Now I can explain how some things are done, but I�ll FREELY admit that I�ve never done it myself; and I wish you were man enough to admit that you�ve never done any real gunsmithing yourself.

Whereas YOU, have no problems wading in with both feet on a subject you really don�t know about. You�re like a doctor right out of medical school. Just enough knowledge to THINK you know what you�re talking about, until you try to strut like a rooster with all your grand knowledge just to find out, you�re only at the tip of the iceburg.

Look, I�ve been gunsmithing for damn near 30 years and I still don�t know chit. I can tell by what you write that you�ve READ about gunsmithing, but it�s painfully obvious to me, and even those who aren�t gunsmiths that you haven�t really picked up tools and actually done any meaningful gunsmithing yourself. But man you sure know how to criticize.

I�m very happy to not be a full time gunsmith anymore; now I enjoy gunsmithing when I do it. I like the job I do, to me it�s far more interesting and challenging than gunsmithing and it pays better with FAR better benefits than any gunsmithing job I know of.

So if you were someone who has actually done any gunsmithing, then we could have a meaningful conversation. But it seems to me the only thing you�re capable of is puffing up your ego and barking like a little s ankle biting dog with a mouth full of $#!T.
Just put him on ignore, Kevin.
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11

Really...thats the best you can do....wow....you sir have no honor or integrity and I can think of no greater insult than that
Really...thats the best you can do....wow....you sir have no honor or integrity and I can think of no greater insult than that
Well said...it really just comes down to that.

Well said Kevin....Brick is without honor.....sad and pathetic are the best words that come to mind when thinking of him
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I will just as soon as he stops taking shots DIRECTLY at me. I�m not going to allow some idiot to drag my name and reputation in the mud without a response. I post in my own name, and I stand by EVERYTHING I say. It�s about honor and integrity as James has put it. Soon as he stops his direct attacks on my name and reputation, I�ll ignore him.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
I will just as soon as he stops taking shots DIRECTLY at me. I�m not going to allow some idiot to drag my name and reputation in the mud without a response. I post in my own name, and I stand by EVERYTHING I say. It�s about honor and integrity as James has put it. Soon as he stops his direct attacks on my name and reputation, I�ll ignore him.
Nobody here gives him an ounce of credibility or takes him the least bit seriously.
...a set of Spegel grips (Uncle Mikes if you�re on a budget).
It was my understanding that the UM Spegel derivations are no longer manufactured. The last few I've seen on eBay and the like sold for as much (or more) than genuine Spegel items.
...a set of Spegel grips (Uncle Mikes if you�re on a budget).
It was my understanding that the UM Spegel derivations are no longer manufactured. The last few I've seen on eBay and the like sold for as much (or more) than genuine Spegel items.

First, it�s a refreshing twist to have a civil conversation; would be a really nice precedent to follow.

If Uncle Mikes is no longer making those grips, that�s a real bummer; those were a great value. I have a pair secreted away, they go on every new HP I get until I can afford to buy Spegels. If I was smart (and I�m not), I�d stop selling my Spegel grips with my Hi Powers, because there will come a time when they are no longer available.

You most certainly have made claims as to your "prowess" as a "gunsmith," Little Miss Kevin. I seem to remember a few claims of "over 10000" bandied about in at least one instance. Actually it was "I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers.." and then there was this little "gem:" "My bet is Ted Yost hasn't worked on anywhere near as many Hi Powers as I have." I guess you felt the need to relate that statistic of dubious origin and make your backhanded comment towards Yost because you're such a humble guy.

As near as I can tell from your fellow eunuch James' tale, you two clods spent your days in some warehouse cleaning and piecing together worn out military surplus crap, sort of like Century Arms does. The kind of "work" day laborer Mexicans can do. Impressive. And now Jamesetta works in West Sacramento (a real garden spot) and not as a gunsmith. You're free to make whatever excuse you want for an acute inability to make a living as a gunsmith -- and that's all they are -- EXCUSES. Your mama didn't love you, the work was too demanding, you lost your lease, or whatever excuse du jour you prefer. The fact remains, however, you're not in demand for a reason and others are. Why is that? Your 85 Facebook followers reveal quite a lot.
If your "name and reputation" are as solid as you would like to harangue me into believing, then you have nothing to fear from anything [bleep] I could post.
You most certainly have made claims as to your "prowess" as a "gunsmith," Little Miss Kevin. I seem to remember a few claims of "over 10000" bandied about in at least one instance. Actually it was "I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers.." and then there was this little "gem:" "My bet is Ted Yost hasn't worked on anywhere near as many Hi Powers as I have." I guess you felt the need to relate that statistic of dubious origin and make your backhanded comment towards Yost because you're such a humble guy.

As near as I can tell from your fellow eunuch James' tale, you two clods spent your days in some warehouse cleaning and piecing together worn out military surplus crap, sort of like Century Arms does. The kind of "work" day laborer Mexicans can do. Impressive. And now Jamesetta works in West Sacramento (a real garden spot) and not as a gunsmith. You're free to make whatever excuse you want for an acute inability to make a living as a gunsmith -- and that's all they are -- EXCUSES. Your mama didn't love you, the work was too demanding, you lost your lease, or whatever excuse du jour you prefer. The fact remains, however, you're not in demand for a reason and others are. Why is that? Your 85 Facebook followers reveal quite a lot.
Wow dood, you really need a hobby.

Actually the warehouse we worked in would be very similar to Century International in many ways. And the 10k Hi Powers that I worked on there was refurbishing and repairing, not customizing. Still, there�s a lot to be learned when you wade through 10k Hi Powers that had been through one world war and one civil war. Now if you think what I did amounted to dull un-skilled labor, that�s your opinion; I�m okay with that. Given your complete lack of background, I�m not sure how you feel qualified to say what is skilled and what is unskilled, but you�re entitled to your opinion.

And you see my choice in changing professions as excuses, again; you just live in a bizarre world. I guess everyone who has ever worked at McDonald�s and left for a better job is guilty of not sticking it out until they became Ray Crock? In your world a job is some sort of competition or extreme sport.

So no mechanic that isn�t at least part of a NASCAR pit crew has anything of value to add to a discussion of auto repair; so says the guy who has never opened the hood.

I�m not sure why you do what you do Bricktop; but even you should be able to see that you�re the only one on this forum who buys into your world view. What�s that saying? If one person tells you you�re drunk, you have an opinion; but if 6 people tell you, it�s time to give someone your keys.
And the 10k Hi Powers that I worked on there was refurbishing and repairing, not customizing.

<SNIP>

Now if you think what I did amounted to dull un-skilled labor, that�s your opinion...
Not an opinion, just a basic statement of fact. You conducted disassembly, cleaning, parts replacement, and reassembly. Not exactly operating at a high level, just monkey-see, monkey-do.

And you see my choice in changing professions as excuses, again; you just live in a bizarre world. I guess everyone who has ever worked at McDonald�s and left for a better job is guilty of not sticking it out until they became Ray Crock? In your world a job is some sort of competition or extreme sport.
You've claimed a certain level of skill, have you not? And you've pretty well shot down one or two names mentioned with the inference that they're of a lower skill set than you, have you not? (I'll make this easy: the answer is YES, YOU HAVE.) So why is it Ted Yost, the person who YOU'VE stated hasn't worked on as many Hi Powers as you, is making a living working on them and you're not? Why is that, Little Miss Kevin? Is it because of your KICK-ASS personality? I mean, you have 85 FOLLOWERS ON FACEBOOK!!!

You're not a big shot at all, you're just a big [bleep].
"Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." � Lyndon Johnson

Isnt this your quote above that you have in your signiture....hmmmm....seems ole LBJ had it right when it comes to you..........."Any Jackass" is the part I am refering to if you need clarification there

Actually the warehouse we worked in would be very similar to Century International in many ways. And the 10k Hi Powers that I worked on there was refurbishing and repairing, not customizing. Still, there�s a lot to be learned when you wade through 10k Hi Powers that had been through one world war and one civil war. Now if you think what I did amounted to dull un-skilled labor, that�s your opinion; I�m okay with that. Given your complete lack of background, I�m not sure how you feel qualified to say what is skilled and what is unskilled, but you�re entitled to your opinion.

So no mechanic that isn�t at least part of a NASCAR pit crew has anything of value to add to a discussion of auto repair; so says the guy who has never opened the hood.

I�m not sure why you do what you do Bricktop; but even you should be able to see that you�re the only one on this forum who buys into your world view. What�s that saying? If one person tells you you�re drunk, you have an opinion; but if 6 people tell you, it�s time to give someone your keys.

Wow God forbid that a man change what he does to fullfil the needs of his family. I too love the gun business and still work in it along with my "Day Job". I have been working in that industry now since 1986. My sales in the gun parts business suppliments my income nicely and therefore affords me the oppurtunity to indulge my sons and my own gun nut habit. It has also allowed me to be very supportive of the local BSA Council's shooting program. How that is a problem escapes me completely. Hmmmmmmm
"Any Jackass" is the part I am refering to if you need clarification there
You and Little Miss Kevin have certainly fit that bill.

Really???? thats the best you can do......but I should not be surprised....

Wow God forbid that a man change what he does to fullfil the needs of his family. I too love the gun business and still work in it along with my "Day Job". I have been working in that industry now since 1986. My sales in the gun parts business suppliments my income nicely and therefore affords me the oppurtunity to indulge my sons and my own gun nut habit. It has also allowed me to be very supportive of the local BSA chapter's shooting program. How that is a problem escapes me completely. Hmmmmmmm
Neither one of you knuckleheads has yet answered why other individuals have been able to make a go of it in the gunsmithing field, yet the two of you have "moved on." I mean, you're both supposed to be "good," are you not? Or at least that's what you want everyone to believe. Hell, Little Miss Kevin's "name and reputation" seem to be in such a precarious position that he feels I can wield that influence to bust it down to size.
Really???? thats the best you can do......but I should not be surprised....
As stated previously, you and Little Miss Kevin are somewhere below taking a dump and washing my ass. I'll put forth the appropriate amount of effort.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Bricktop you are an amazingly nasty and petty human being.

I just wanted to make that observation, dont bother responding as I dont want to have to take another shower.

WildtataAlaska ��2002-2011
Bricktop you are an amazingly nasty and petty human being.
I work hard to make a good impression. smirk
Neither one of you knuckleheads has yet answered why other individuals have been able to make a go of it in the gunsmithing field, yet the two of you have "moved on." I mean, you're both supposed to be "good," are you not? Or at least that's what you want everyone to believe. Hell, Little Miss Kevin's "name and reputation" seem to be in such a precarious position that he feels I can wield that influence to bust it down to size.

Again, I don�t see where you�re qualified to run down someone else�s reputation�

I thought I made it clear; I didn�t want to make a lifetime career out of being a gunsmith. I�ve always just had a fascination with guns and how they work. My getting into gunsmithing wasn�t a career choice, it was just an opportunity to learn more and get paid doing it. Hey, I could run up the road and nab a job for one of the biggest names in the business and make 1/3 of what I make now. Or I could go into business for myself and make more. But here�s the thing, I don�t want to be a career gunsmith and NEVER HAVE. Why are you so offended by that? My work is comparable to many others, and there are others who�s file I�m not fit to hold. I�m sure I could do fine as a career gunsmith, and I may dabble a little in my retirement just for a few bucks on the side. But I have no interest whatsoever in being a career gunsmith. What I do now is far more lucrative and I enjoy it much more. What�s more, I go home at 5 and the rest of my evening is with my family; THAT�s what�s important to me.

Is it beyond the pale that someone who is a hobby gunsmith could possibly be competent at it? The absolute BEST man on a Colt�s DA revolver I know does gunsmithing as a hobby on the side. I know a gentleman who works as an engineer who builds shotguns for one of the best makers in Scotland; he considers himself a hobby gunsmith. He NEVER wants anyone to know his name or who he does work for; he appreciates his anonymity.

Now admittedly, both of these gentlemen I mention are WAY better than I am, but I�ll bet there are some things where I�m better than they are; but who knows.

The point is, you don�t have to be a nationally recognized super-gunsmith to be a good gunsmith or know what you�re talking about. But you DO have to have experience gunsmithing to know what you�re talking about. And you�re spending all your time and effort criticizing me on a subject that you�ve never done yourself. How does that work in your mind exactly? Why are you so hell bent on being such a jerk?
You've claimed a certain level of skill, have you not?
Yep

...with the inference that they're of a lower skill set than you, have you not?
Your inferrence based on my assumption (which is rather presumptuous of me admittedly). And you seem to lack the critical thinking skills to discern between skill and experience. I never once made any inferrence of skill, the inferrence was on experience. My presumption (there I go being presumptuous again) is that Mr. Yost posesses more skill than I at his craft; I have no problem with that. My presumption is that since I had the opporutnity to work on 10k (it may have actually been more, but I use that number because when I checked with those I worked with, they all said it was AT LEAST 10k, but each remembered a different number somewhere between 11k and 14k), is that I have worked on more Hi Powers than Mr. Yost. But since you're only interested in dragging my name through the dirt, you won't allow yourself to see anything but the negative.

So why is it Ted Yost, the person who YOU'VE stated hasn't worked on as many Hi Powers as you, is making a living working on them and you're not?
Because he chose that as his profession and I didn't...I think EVERYONE but you gets that.

You're not a big shot at all, you're just a big [bleep].
I don't claim to be a big shot, I claim to be right; big difference.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
96 hours since I last called a blood pressure check.

Time for another.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
I don't claim to be a big shot, I claim to be right; big difference.

You are. And if it means anything, those of us who are in the custom gun business, like myself, know that.

WildconsideryourpositionendorsedAlaska ��2002-2011
Again, I don�t see where you�re qualified to run down someone else�s reputation�
And I don't see where you are either.

I thought I made it clear; I didn�t want to make a lifetime career out of being a gunsmith.
It's your fairy tale, tell it however you want. Though Aesop's fables and sour grapes come to mind.

I�ve always just had a fascination with guns and how they work.
As do most of us.

My getting into gunsmithing wasn�t a career choice, it was just an opportunity to learn more and get paid doing it. Hey, I could run up the road and nab a job for one of the biggest names in the business and make 1/3 of what I make now. Or I could go into business for myself and make more. But here�s the thing, I don�t want to be a career gunsmith and NEVER HAVE. Why are you so offended by that?
Sour grapes, ad nauseam.

My work is comparable to many others...
I'm sure it is; there are many hacks in every community.

I�m sure I could do fine as a career gunsmith, and I may dabble a little in my retirement just for a few bucks on the side. But I have no interest whatsoever in being a career gunsmith. What I do now is far more lucrative and I enjoy it much more.
It's your story, tell it however you need.

What�s more, I go home at 5 and the rest of my evening is with my family; THAT�s what�s important to me.
I thought regaling us with tales of grandeur were what's important. It certainly looks that way.

He NEVER wants anyone to know his name or who he does work for; he appreciates his anonymity.
I'm sure glad you don't have that problem.

Why are you so hell bent on being such a jerk?
It just comes natural to me. And you?
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Is it beyond the pale that someone who is a hobby gunsmith could possibly be competent at it?

I agree, Kevin. The 'smith I trust with my older guns is a retired cop who's been gunsmithing as a hobby forever, and the one hack job I ended up with on a gun was by a "pro", recently graduated, and looking to build his portfolio. Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.
Is it beyond the pale that someone who is a hobby gunsmith could possibly be competent at it?

I agree, Kevin. The 'smith I trust with my older guns is a retired cop who's been gunsmithing as a hobby forever, and the one hack job I ended up with on a gun was by a "pro", recently graduated, and looking to build his portfolio. Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Love the quote about the Ark and the Titanic.....Ill use that sometime if you dont mind
And it all comes down to that. Can we give it all a rest now, or do you have more to add?
And it all comes down to that. Can we give it all a rest now, or do you have more to add?

Ohhh I do I do I have more to add......just talked with you ex wife Kevin....she gave me some things to say.....hehehehehehehehehe.....got to love me...I am cute
That's up to you.
Ohhh I do I do I have more to add......just talked with you ex wife Kevin....she gave me some things to say.....hehehehehehehehehe.....got to love me...I am cute
I don't understand how such a good friend can be such an A-hole; but you really pull it off grin

Give her my best...ya bastid.
Bricktop Quote "That's up to you."

Typical cyber bully mentality (or lack thereof) it�s never their fault...they have to do it because of you it is never their fault it always yours......it is a welfare victim type mentality and one that has been fostered for too long.....common place in those with sub standard IQ's or vast feelings of inadequacy brought on normally because they are either impotent or have a sexual identity and or inadequacy issue�.common place problem with inbreed children
I don't understand how such a good friend can be such an A-hole; but you really pull it off grin

Give her my best...ya bastid.

I have nothing but love and admiration for you brother.....and I try....
Posted By: shreck Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Originally Posted by doubletap

You talking to me? grin

Schrecklicher, what I call my girlfriend grin
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by doubletap

You talking to me? grin

Schrecklicher, what I call my girlfriend grin

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.....great writer
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
He knows schreck's girlfriend?
Posted By: shreck Re: Browning hi-power - 09/01/11
Originally Posted by huntsman22
He knows schreck's girlfriend?

If this Wolfgang feller has been sniffing around my girl I'm gonna kick his hintern. grin
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
best hope you don't have to take on the whole gang of wolfs.
Posted By: CaptFlipCapsize Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11

Love the quote about the Ark and the Titanic.....Ill use that sometime if you dont mind

My pleasure. I forget who I stole it from. grin
Posted By: jstall Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
I see asswipe Bricktop STILL hasn't posted his credientials. This dude is like a nasty fart, the smell just keeps hanging around.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
I see asswipe Bricktop STILL hasn't posted his credientials. This dude is like a nasty fart, the smell just keeps hanging around.
I guess if I were making claims like "I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers..." I might be put in a position where I needed to explain myself, wouldn't I, dumbass? But I haven't and instead I'm calling BULLSHIT on a blowhard, [bleep]. Therefore there is no need to post my "credentials." In the mean time, shouldn't you be lining up for your commodity cheese? It is the beginning of the month and I'd hate to see you wasting time here when you ought to be putting on your best "wife-beater," brushing your TOOTH, and getting with the ladies of the trailer park.
From the looks of your picture you just described yourself, homey!
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
I guess if I were making claims like "I've worked on well over 10,000 Hi Powers..." I might be put in a position where I needed to explain myself, wouldn't I, dumbass? But I haven't and instead I'm calling BULLSHIT on a blowhard, [bleep]. Therefore there is no need to post my "credentials." In the mean time, shouldn't you be lining up for your commodity cheese? It is the beginning of the month and I'd hate to see you wasting time here when you ought to be putting on your best "wife-beater," brushing your TOOTH, and getting with the ladies of the trailer park.

I can and will verify how many of those High Powers he has worked on....I will swear an oath to such.....there are also many others who can verify that fact too...Kevin is one of the most honorable men I have ever known...is he flawed...yes like we all are....but he has honor and integrity.....unlike you who lacks integrity, honor and civility not to mention manners......Kevin and I dont hide who we are behind some BS moniker or where we live or what we do....unlike you Brick......you hide in shadows like the coward you keep yourself protected in your personal assaults by the anonymous firewall that the internet provides..THAT IS THE ACT OF A COWARD.....in fact if you have questions I am more than willing to have you contact me how ever you please...email, phone, come to my home, my work...however whenever you wish .....and I will then put you in contact with at least 4 other good men who can verify the facts that Kevin laid out.....here is a link to one article he wrote for American Handgunner...it was the cover article....just one of many he has written....... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_184_30/ai_n16741473/ ......How many times have you been published Brick in nationally renowned Gun Magazines???? How many times have you been the expert witness in court cases involving guns????? How many times has a gun manufacturer or importer sent you a gun to review and write about???? How many times brick have you been flown somewhere by a major gun manufacturer just to test a new gun design???? HMMMMMMMMM He has more credentials than you will ever be able to have...because small people (and I don�t mean of height) never amass credentials like Kevin has because you are too small a person and too much a coward to actually do something of substance in your pathetic life....I actually feel sorry for you Brick...you will never know the honor and pleasure there is when you know someone like Kevin....there are few in this world I would entrust the lives of my family to or trust to cover my back in a firefight...but Kevin is one of those very few....you will never know that feeling and I feel sorry for you because of that.....you�re a pitiful excuse of a human being but the world needs people like you in it...so the rest of us can really value the good ones...Like Kevin
Posted By: shreck Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
Why bother, ignore it and it will go away.
I can and will verify how many of those High Powers he has worked on....I will swear an oath to such.....there are also many others who can verify that fact too...
And by both of your admissions, this "work" consisted of cleaning and piecing together worn out surplus junk from overseas.

Kevin is one of the most honorable men I have ever known...
And your "word" is assigned a price tag of exactly $00.00.

is he flawed...yes like we all are....but he has honor and integrity.....
And a LOT of hot air. Not unlike you. You two are the smartest people in the world -- that the two of you know. Two gas bags.

unlike you who lacks integrity, honor and civility not to mention manners......
But the ladies love me.

Kevin and I dont hide who we are behind some BS moniker or where we live or what we do....
And you two morons seem to keep missing the obviously rhetorical question: if you two are so God-damned good at what you do -- you've even assigned specific numbers to the volumes of HPs you've handled and made [bleep] comments towards a well-known and respected HP gunsmith -- why is it neither one of you dickheads can make a living at it? I don't want to read any of these cop-out EXCUSES. If the two of you were as good as you want everyone to believe, then why aren't you able to earn your living doing it?

unlike you Brick......you hide in shadows like the coward you keep yourself protected in your personal assaults by the anonymous firewall that the internet provides..THAT IS THE ACT OF A COWARD.....
I suppose a self-important, emotionally insecure little person who has cultivated a certain image and needs a certain amount of approval and adulation from strangers might view questions that they are unable to adequately answer as "cowardly." I just look at it as calling BULLSHIT on a couple of windy bastards. You shouldn't make claims as to your "expertise" you can't defend.

in fact if you have questions I am more than willing to have you contact me how ever you please...email, phone, come to my home, my work...however whenever you wish .....
And what would be the point? Watch you squirm and make up more bullshit stories? Hang out and have tea at high noon? Maybe we could get our toenails done.

and I will then put you in contact with at least 4 other good men who can verify the facts that Kevin laid out.....
You haven't exactly distinguished yourself in the "good" judgment category, pal.

here is a link to one article he wrote for American Handgunner...it was the cover article....just one of many he has written....... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_184_30/ai_n16741473/ ......
Wow. Kevin became filler material. I'll bet the publisher could barely keep up with reprint requests.

How many times have you been published Brick in nationally renowned Gun Magazines????
Haven't tried, my ego doesn't feel the need. But based on the crap I've read, I don't see that the bar is set particularly high.

He has more credentials than you will ever be able to have...because small people (and I don�t mean of height) never amass credentials like Kevin has...
And I can see that they've taken him far. He lives in Nowhere, Arkansas and writes a blog with 85 followers on Facebook. And sends me a lot of PMs pissing and moaning.
I'm beginning to think this doucebag is a 16 or 17 year old kid, that doesn't even own a gun, since he's always carrying on about how many friends someone has on Facebook. Bill Wilson also lives in Arkansas, and I guess he doesn't know [bleep] either. Don't go away mad, just go away!
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
Real name is Jeff Albertson.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
I might be put in a position where I needed to explain myself, wouldn't I, dumbass? But I haven't and instead I'm calling BULLSHIT on a blowhard, [bleep]. Therefore there is no need to post my "credentials."
I put up, you rejected what I put up; to me THAT issue is settled.

What isn't settled, is when you said I didn't know what I was talking about in relation to trigger work on a Hi Power. You mentioned re-machining parts. So I ask you, exactly how is that done? And since you're obviously NOT a gunsmith, how is it that you're so eminently confident that "re-machining" parts is the prefered method of "real" gunsmiths? Can you answer that? Simple, just answer that...The re-machining was YOUR remark. I spoke for my remarks, you just rejected what I say.

Now I ask you to asnwer for your remark. Please, tell me how this re-machining is done, and who in the business re-machines the parts on a Hi Power? Just answer that...simple.
I might be put in a position where I needed to explain myself, wouldn't I, dumbass? But I haven't and instead I'm calling BULLSHIT on a blowhard, [bleep]. Therefore there is no need to post my "credentials."
I put up, you rejected what I put up; to me THAT issue is settled.

What isn't settled, is when you said I didn't know what I was talking about in relation to trigger work on a Hi Power. You mentioned re-machining parts. So I ask you, exactly how is that done? And since you're obviously NOT a gunsmith, how is it that you're so eminently confident that "re-machining" parts is the prefered method of "real" gunsmiths? Can you answer that? Simple, just answer that...The re-machining was YOUR remark. I spoke for my remarks, you just rejected what I say.

Now I ask you to asnwer for your remark. Please, tell me how this re-machining is done, and who in the business re-machines the parts on a Hi Power? Just answer that...simple.

Yea Brick...what are the specs??? What tooling to you use....what cutters....what speed.....what are the deminsions???? Your so all knowing so please enlighten us.....if your adding metal then remachineing how do you do that...do you weld or plasma spray...what temps...what material....how much....or are you just cutting...how much and where...details please since you seem to know so much about this
I'm beginning to think this doucebag is a 16 or 17 year old kid, that doesn't even own a gun, since he's always carrying on about how many friends someone has on Facebook. Bill Wilson also lives in Arkansas, and I guess he doesn't know [bleep] either. Don't go away mad, just go away!

Jstall....you are giving 16 and 17 year olds a bad name comparing him to them.....be easy on the kids...LOL
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
VAnimrod;
I was clearly referencing something that I don't do. I'm not shilling for SERPA holsters, but I have had positive experiences with them in crappy weather, more so than my leather holsters. I have more leather holsters than SERPAs. Clearly, I prefer leather, just not in more austere environments.

The first handgun I ever owned was a BHP. I no longer carry it much, because my department won't let me carry a single-action "on my badge".

"In my part of the state, a lot of public hunting lands and WMAs have everything from escaped prisoners & mental patients to meth labs, so, again, I want to be able to index my sidearm with alacrity." I stand behind my statement. I've had one particularly unpleasant encounter when I stumbled onto a local entrepreneur tending his weed patch in Jefferson National Forest. He thought I was a business competitor, and it got exciting for a bit. No lead was exchanged, but it and other incidents did serve to bear out some of the far hairier encounters I've heard described from buddies. As I said previously, your mileage may differ.

I'm a DCJS firearms instructor. I've used a lot of holsters, from crappy Uncle Mikes's to custom leather jobs, and I have my preferences (Alessi, SERPA, etc.), based on my personal experiences. I never said you had to ditch your leather, or that I was gonna ditch mine.

So, are you like a troll or something? Just wondering why all the vitriol you've thrown at me.

If you'd started off like that, instead of like a SERPA rep, you'd have gotten much further.

BTW - Neat's foot oil is NOT a good thing long-term for leather.
Yeah I apoligize to all the good 16 & 17 olds. I didn't mean to put them down. LOL
Bill Wilson also lives in Arkansas...
That's great news! Little Miss Kevin can break out his Crayons and coloring books and go see if he can get a job there.
What isn't settled, is when you said I didn't know what I was talking about in relation to trigger work on a Hi Power.
Your exact quote was "Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well." And I called bullshit, because, well, it IS BULLSHIT.

And since you're obviously NOT a gunsmith...
And you're not either.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Browning hi-power - 09/02/11
Dicktop once again proving he brings nothing to the table.

Ever.

Ever.
Back at you.
What isn't settled, is when you said I didn't know what I was talking about in relation to trigger work on a Hi Power.
Your exact quote was "Most of the later Hi Powers (since around 1990) use investment cast parts, so if you want a truly great trigger on a Hi Power, you need to swap out at least the hammer, and often times the sear as well." And I called bullshit, because, well, it IS BULLSHIT.

And since you're obviously NOT a gunsmith...
And you're not either.

Wow and your expertise is so vast you can make these qualified judgements....hmmmmm.....you still have not answered the question that Kevin and I put fourth to you..and since your such an expert they should be easy for you to do...please enlighten us with your vastly superior knowledge and skill....please

Ever.

When your a cyberbully and live in moms basement...its hard to bring anything to the table....sad sad little man that he is....I really do feel sorry for him and will pray for him...I will ask god to please never let him reproduce
Wow and your expertise is so vast you can make these qualified judgements....
I know the difference between chickensh*t and chicken salad. And I can spot a couple of wind bags.
Wow and your expertise is so vast you can make these qualified judgements....
I know the difference between chickensh*t and chicken salad. And I can spot a couple of wind bags.

Sad Sad little man...it must get lonely in your moms basement.....I really do feel sorry for you...

Ever.
When your a cyberbully and live in moms basement...its hard to bring anything to the table....sad sad little man that he is....I really do feel sorry for him and will pray for him...I will ask god to please never let him reproduce
That's very likely true for you and Little Miss Kevin. Though I believe it's probably not called "breeding," that thing the two of you do to each other. That's affectionately known as "buggery."
Ohhh Brick....I do understand your need to lash out and make yourself feel better by belittling others...its what you need to do so that you can some shred of self esteem...so please lash out at me as you please as I do want others in this world to be in a better place within thier own space...use me if you will to help you thru your obvious troubles and esteem issues...I strive to help my fellow man in this life as it leads to a better world and hopefully world peace...
Ohhh Brick....I do understand your need to lash out and make yourself feel better by belittling others...its what you need to do so that you can some shred of self esteem...so please lash out at me as you please as I do want others in this world to be in a better place within thier own space...use me if you will to help you thru your obvious troubles and esteem issues...I strive to help my fellow man in this life as it leads to a better world and hopefully world peace...
I have no need to "lash" out at anyone. I only need to make a few observations. You and Little Miss Kevin possess just enough paranoia and insecurity about yourselves that it just takes a feather touch to push you over the edge.

What I wonder is why someone feels the need to brag on themselves as often as Kevin does.
I have no need to "lash" out at anyone. I only need to make a few observations. You and Little Miss Kevin possess just enough paranoia and insecurity about yourselves that it just takes a feather touch to push you over the edge.

What I wonder is why someone feels the need to brag on themselves as often as Kevin does.

There you go Brick....keep lashing out...make yourself feel better.....its worked for you this long it is sure to carry you thru....use me as your target as anything I can do to help a fellow human being feel better about themselves I am obligated and honored to do....
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
James

You find this type often when there was no viable male role model when growing up. Some people want to be a man, but don't really know how to act around them. There seems to be a certain degree of anger involved. The "desire" to be taken seriously, and a "need" to force the issue.

Logic escapes this man. His arguments are so lacking in substance as to render his opinion baseless. Take me for instance. I have a classically trained voice very similar to Josh Groban's. I'm a guitar playing fool who has performed for really large venues as an opening act for well known artists. I've also received significant "state-wide" awards for acting in college. But, I never sought out a career in either acting or music, despite the fact that a few whom I beat out for those awards went on to stage and screen careers. I preferred a career in public service as a police officer. Now, after having been a Chief of Police at the age of 22, a federal agent (retired), and Director of Security for a multi-national corporation, I went back to school to be a registered nurse and now work in oncology. I've authored numerous feature articles for nationally circulated gun magazines and now, one book. I've had a pretty interesting life and it's not over.

I don't have to lie about these things. They are simply facts I'm willing to share. I use my real name because if I'm gonna write it, I'm gonna stand behind it.

So, Kevin has an expertise and a firm knowledge base from which to offer significant wisdom on a subject, but because he didn't pursue a career as a gunsmith, his knowledge is worthless. He's seen and done things that other "men" would find both interesting and remarkable. But his opinion is invalid because his pursuits in life haven't made his name a household word! Yet, he uses his real name because what's more important to certain men, is the willingness to stand behind their name and reputation.

Others, eagerly enter the fray, sniping from the shadows and giggling like an inbred child when he pulls the legs off grasshoppers, because he can and no one can make him stop; a male adult who has never really learned the meaning of living the life of a man. It's much easier and certainly more fun to critique others, than to have accomplished. Or perhaps, the accomplishments are really only paper accomplishments; diplomas that state certain requirements were met, with no record of actually making a difference to anyone.

Kevin has my respect.

Regards

Dan
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
Wish y'all would stop quoting the trolls. I go to great lengths to keep them on ignore. lol
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Wish y'all would stop quoting the trolls. I go to great lengths to keep them on ignore. lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
Take me for instance. I have a classically trained voice very similar to Josh Groban's.
And you want to brag on that?

So, Kevin has an expertise and a firm knowledge base from which to offer significant wisdom on a subject, but because he didn't pursue a career as a gunsmith, his knowledge is worthless.
It's a shame all that knowledge and singing with the Vienna Boys' Choir didn't also equate to better reading comprehension.

Yet, he uses his real name because what's more important to certain men, is the willingness to stand behind their name and reputation.
Or more likely he's driven by ego and a need to receive the approval of strangers.

Others, eagerly enter the fray, sniping from the shadows and giggling like an inbred child when he pulls the legs off grasshoppers, because he can and no one can make him stop; a male adult who has never really learned the meaning of living the life of a man.
Like you, for instance, with all the Josh Groban singing.

Kevin has my respect.
Follow him on Facebook. He had 85 followers the other day, you can be number 86.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11

I even had myself castrated just so I could sing in the Vienna Boys' Choir ...

But I never made the 'cut'.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

same here
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I even had myself castrated just so I could sing in the Vienna Boys' Choir ...

But I never made the 'cut'.
sick
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
Bricktop's MO is exactly like Lee24's, only he has far less to offer. He's had a dozen challenges to put up, and he doesn't. Just like Lee24, he just waits for the opportune time to ignore the challenge, and keep spewing his venom.

You know what, Little Miss Kevin is really proud to fail the Bricktop test.

I say we just label the pathetic little worm what he is and stop feeding him. He's a TROLL.
Bricktop's MO is exactly like Lee24's, only he has far less to offer. He's had a dozen challenges to put up, and he doesn't. Just like Lee24, he just waits for the opportune time to ignore the challenge, and keep spewing his venom.

You know what, Little Miss Kevin is really proud to fail the Bricktop test.

I say we just label the pathetic little worm what he is and stop feeding him. He's a TROLL.
I stand by what I've posted; nothing has been incorrect. You've instead chosen to focus on semantics, expound upon your own "abilities," and denigrate PROFESSIONAL gunsmiths who're KNOWN quantities. Jesus Christ, you yourself have even posted that you're arrogant, but it seems beyond your own basic, limited comprehension that anyone might think you're just a little too big for your britches.

You've posted that you've "worked on over 10000 Hi Powers," have you not? And you made a [bleep] comment in regards to Ted Yost's experience when I mentioned his name, did you not? (Those are rhetorical questions, Little Miss Kevin. I'm merely reiterating a few choice examples of your generally arrogant [bleep].) That would lead me to wonder if Ted Yost is widely regarded as an ace Hi Power/1911 gunsmith and seems to make a fairly good living at it, and you consider your abilities and experience to be beyond those of Mr. Yost, then why aren't you pursuing the same vocation and driving lesser gunsmiths like Mr. Yost out of business? You have 85 people following your blog on Facebook!

I'm of the mind that you like being a big frog in a little pond. You like ministering to a coterie of minions whose own experience is mostly confined to movies, television shows, and the wild yarns with which they've chosen to identify themselves. And when your little pond gets threatened, your response is to mobilize your cadre of suckasses to harangue the offending party while you do the same via PM. I have never seen a self-identified "adult" who is quite as desperate and insecure as you, Little Miss Kevin.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/03/11
Don't feed the trolls
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Browning hi-power - 09/04/11
Dicktop is ON IGNORE in this household!!! All of YOOUZ that copy his replies make my eyes burn!!! I don't want to read crap! Please don't copy it, as you are defeating my ignore setting!!!!!!!!

I am interested in BHP info. I am not interested in HOMO info.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Browning hi-power - 09/04/11
I got nobody on 'ignore'. I got some on 'overlook'.

I 'try' to overlook what hurts and love the un-lovely.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/04/11
I am interested in BHP info. I am not interested in HOMO info.
Then by all means stop surfing the Craig's List adult services ads, knucklehead!
Posted By: jstall Re: Browning hi-power - 09/04/11
Dicktop has no credientials, no class, and no clue what he is talking about. I think I'm finally going to explore this ignore feature.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Browning hi-power - 09/04/11
Kevin's Shootersjournal is a great site to visit. Lots of great information. I really enjoyed the story that I think was titled "Is That a Bear Between my Legs?"
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Browning hi-power - 09/05/11
I must agree about Shootersjournal, I drop in there regularly. They aren't about handguns, but I've really liked the stories on the Marlin 39 and the Traditional German Rifle.
Posted By: EWY Re: Browning hi-power - 09/05/11
This thread really went to hell. Wonder if Spotshooter ever decided to try a P35.

Ernie
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/05/11
Dicktop has no credientials, no class, and no clue what he is talking about. I think I'm finally going to explore this ignore feature.
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/05/11
Kevin's Shootersjournal is a great site to visit. Lots of great information. I really enjoyed the story that I think was titled "Is That a Bear Between my Legs?"
How was Little Miss Kevin's breakfast this morning? You have your head buried so far up his ass, I'd expect you're able to taste whatever he's been eating.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/05/11
If we don't feed the troll, he has no reason to return.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: Browning hi-power - 09/06/11
I tried to quote what I see when I view the troll's resoonse.

To me it says "***This User is on Ignore***"

But the quote shows his quote from me and that is where I backspaced. I don't want to read troll drool!

Do they have internet connections in prisons?
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/06/11
Is that where you're headed? You really ought to lay off the Craig's List "adult services" stuff; those trannys are messing you up.
I wonder if gunkid is out of jail?
Oh, I did a yahoo search and gunkid may be out of jail about a year ago (10-26-2010)...

"If you don't know who Gunkid is, Google him.

Name Register # Age-Race-Sex Release Date Location
1. JOHN MELVIN DAVIS 84034-012 59-White-M 10-26-2010 FORREST CITY FCI"

From Lawdog:

"Goodbye Gunkid
Perhaps the most infamous troll of the internet gun world, a true Ferrous Cranus, is being held in jail without bail and faces a complaint of possession of ammunition after a prior felony conviction. According to a federal detention order, John Melvin Davis, AKA Gunkid has past convictions on eight federal offenses and received five separate sentences totaling more than 20 years in prison. Gunkid is suspected of stashing stolen weapons and almost 11,000 bullets stolen from his estranged wife in a Norman, Oklahoma storage unit. He is now is being held in the Oklahoma County jail on a federal complaint, officials said. Bob Troester, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Oklahoma City, said Davis is likely to face more than the ammunition complaint. He said his office will seek an indictment within 30 days. Gunkid's estranged wife informed the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms that Davis had broken into her Colorado storage unit and stolen "several assault rifles, hand guns, some gold, silver and other ... items." She said Davis had at least eight aliases. Meanwhile, Davis was shacking up with a woman in Oklahoma. She informed officials that Davis made "numerous comments" about not going back to prison, claiming he would "disrupt the economy by poisoning the water supply and knocking out the communication system." The woman also said Davis, who has lived in Oklahoma for only a few months, had begun having packages shipped to her address, including a box of incomplete firearms frames that he planned to sell with directions on how to convert them into functioning weapons.

On June 19, agents raided Davis' mobile house in Oklahoma. Davis was detained after entering a van, and a .22 caliber pistol and several rounds of ammunition were recovered from a canvas bag he'd been carrying. Agents later searched the Norman storage unit and seized a 9 millimeter pistol, a .22 caliber pistol, a .45 caliber pistol, a .223 caliber rifle, a Colt pistol, possible silencers, gun parts and more than 10,900 bullets of various calibers.

John Melvin Davis is well known among internet gunnies as Gunkid, Hardin, Andy, and a hundred other pseudonyms he would use to disrupt gun forums. Gunkid was the inventor of the assault wheelbarrow, the advocate of a "debarked" Chihuahua as an alarm system, and a .223 fired from a 10" barrel as the ultimate weapon, which he claimed was useful up to 300yds, but only when used with a suppressor because Gunkid had a severe flinch when shooting without one. He liked to allude to his magnificent IPSC shooting career. There are no records of his exploits. However, there are complete records of other competitors scores, shot in the time frame he claims to have been a competitor.

Almost every internet gunnie can remember when they first crossed paths with the irrational John Davis, no matter what the subject or where the forum was located. I certainly remember him totally destroying an otherwise great forum that I helped establish years ago. Moderators of well established forums invested much time in recognizing Gunkid when he resurfaced among their members with another name. Regardless of the name he chose, his posts were instantly recognizable for their irrational thought process, capitalization of words that made no sense, and extreme hostility towards any challenge to his delusional knowledge. These were unwavering themes in Gunkid's postings.

So how do we know that John Davis is Gunkid? Like the boogyman, Gunkid is almost a legend that makes one think he cannot die. Gunkid has been tracked across the internet for several years by cyberspace bounty hunters. For some, it was sport. For others, it was a mission. For a few, it is almost depressing that the chase has ended. One thing is certain, John Melvin Davis is Gunkid. There were people who knew exactly who he was, and tried to get him stopped long before he was apprehended by the feds."

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/06/11
Aaaah, Gunkid. That's like the ultimate Troll comparison.
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 09/06/11
Aaaah, Gunkid. That's like the ultimate Troll comparison.

but a fairly equal one I might say......LOL
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 09/06/11

But the quote shows his quote from me and that is where I backspaced. I don't want to read troll drool!

Most prisons dont but unfortunatly Oklahoma City does have internet
Posted By: jstall Re: Browning hi-power - 09/07/11

I don't hate you because you're beautiful (and I'm sure you're not). I dislike you because you're a fricking moron troll.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/07/11

Most prisons dont but unfortunatly Oklahoma City does have internet
As do the meth cookers in West Sacramento/Yolo County.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Browning hi-power - 09/07/11
I don't hate you because you're beautiful (and I'm sure you're not). I dislike you because you're a fricking moron troll.
Deep down you really want to be me.
Posted By: jstall Re: Browning hi-power - 09/07/11
There is nothing about you that I want to be. As a matter of fact if I were you, I would just do the world a favor, and blow out what few brains I had.
Posted By: JamesDunn Re: Browning hi-power - 09/07/11
Brick I really do feel sorry for you....I am so happy that I am available for you to lash out at so you can feel better about yourself and your pitiful life...please feel free to use me in this vain so that you can finally gain that self worth you obviously have been missing. Its understandable how living in your mothers basement can lead you to have such feelings of inadequacy and self loathing. So I offer myself up as way you can (even in such a negative way) feel better about your self...I really feel sorry for you and hope I can help you out. God bless you Brick (even god loves a fool) and I hope you feel better about yourself soon.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning hi-power - 09/07/11

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

© 24hourcampfire