Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have been thinking about you yankees (big smile) all weekend. I'm glad there has been no devistating news in the group. Having gone through Katrina, 6 years ago taday, I know many of you will have a lot of cleaning up to do.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Glad those who've checked in are doing well. Any Vermonters checked in? News reports don't look good from there. Waiting to hear from daughter in Boston and son in a Naval reserve function on the coast of Rhode Is. and sister living on the Chesapeake near the Rapahanock River. Oops, son just texted...all OK there.

FYI: sunny and 64 degrees here in the Southern Appalachians/Valley of Virginia. Sorry guys...couldn't resist it!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Looked like the center would have gone right over Jed/Lauren. Hope their buildings and tree farm weathered it okay.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Finally made it home. Lost a couple of big trees, evidence of trees down across the road outside of driveway. Power out needless to say. I'm told not to expect it back on 'til Friday. Looks like I'll be camping out here at work. The campus is an island of electricity in a sea of power outage- weird. Walked across town with the din of chain saws everywhere. Lots of firewood!

Thank God the storm had toned itself down a bit by the time it hit here or it could've been a lot worse. Storm surge in from C'peake Bay hit the downtown City Dock area at low tide and that's what saved a lot of businesses.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Welll the sugar house had about 3' of water in it!! some stuff disapeared, like buckets and barrels ,my 500 gallon holding tank is in the middle of my field!!! slimey ,silty, mud on everything will have to pressure wash everything when the road becomes solid again ,but 1/2 our wood is covered with silt also ,could be a biitch to burn next spring !!!!! crazy crazy was luck my dozer and brothers tractor were down there ,but the water didn't quite get high enough to bother them. We lost one of our three covered Bridges and a second one was badley damaged !!!!oh well time marches on !!!! grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish we had some of that rain water here. It would take several inches just to fill the cracks in the ground.

Glad to hear that those checking in are okay. Have my finger crossed for the balance.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
180,000 RI homes (55%); 600,000 CT homes; & 800,000 NJ homes w/o power - many of which needed same for water well pumps.

East of the Connecticut River, mostly high winds uprooted & broke off trees & limbs which lended on & took out power lines/poles, transformers, & substations.

West of the river, besides the above, were high levels of rainfall leading to catastrophic flooding in Northern NJ, NY, and all of VT - which also wiped out homes, roads, bridges & other infrastructure.

And some poo-poo'd, before Irene hit, that it was only a piddling catagory 1 hurricane................

I'm just glad that I'm not like some in Tornado Alley, sitting in the middle of my property, w/o walls or roof.
My heart really goes out to any who've lost their homes - never mind a loved one.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every road in southern Vermont that allows east west travel is closed. No way to get from NH to NY through southern Vermont.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The Mohawk was up 15' above normal, we lost a couple big trees in the wind, but none of it got indoors for us, and no injuries. Lots of folks around here lost their belongings to the high water...very sobering. This is our back yard, the high water mark is at the tip of my shovel.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 08/31/11.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I live in Prattsville NY. I am about 2 miles outside the village at 1860' elevation. I was lucky, but some weren't. The whole village is gone. I have friends that lost everything. Most of the businesses are out of commission for a long time. Greene County here in NY took a big time hit, especially in the mountains. Ulster and Delaware counties got hit hard too. Some communities are completely wiped out. Time to pick up the pieces and move on.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My prayers go out to you and your community catsranger. I saw the FEMA photo-op on the news...doesn't tell the story of the emotional wreckage.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks!!! Alot of people need the prayers!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of rain here. Some wind. Nothing extraordinary. Keene is just up the road a bit,got hammered.
Keene NY

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the link. Sad, sad, sad. I see destruction like that here every time we have a hurricane or Nor'easter. Which is way too often.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 50 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,360
Posts18,506,334
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.