Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One I've never owned or shot, but always thought would be neat was the Gyro Jet.....if (and that would be a BIG if) you could find ammo.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Wow, that's cool; I've never seen one of those. Simple, crude. I'll bet she shoots pretty well though.

I have owned one of those but never shot it...bought it at a gun show in Tucson on Sat and sold it on Sunday for a nice profit...ugly gun but has potential

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TexasRick
One I've never owned or shot, but always thought would be neat was the Gyro Jet.....if (and that would be a BIG if) you could find ammo.

I got to fire one round thru a GyroJet Carbine in 1988. Then shootable ammo was approx 20.00 per round. The rocket motor sputtered...then really got going...problem was by then it was courseing its way thru a dry field while skipping across the ground...took all of us over an hour to knock the little fires down....

James Dunn

[email protected]
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wow, that's cool; I've never seen one of those. Simple, crude. I'll bet she shoots pretty well though.

It was made to say the least, as cheaply as possible. If you look the frame is all riveted stamping... It is neat but no target gun. It was made for an outdoorsman to have something inexpensive and reliable to finish off trapped animals and informal plinking...fills the bill. A few come up for sale on GunBroker every year... Depending on condition and if it has the original box and holster $150-300.00.

I think I had one of those Berettas in .22. Was that the one with interchangeable barrels...4" and 6"...magazine release on the left grip panel? Good shooter. I have a Cheetah .22 now..great gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesDunn

I got to fire one round thru a GyroJet Carbine in 1988. Then shootable ammo was approx 20.00 per round. The rocket motor sputtered...then really got going...problem was by then it was courseing its way thru a dry field while skipping across the ground...took all of us over an hour to knock the little fires down....

grin I wonder if you could adapt model rocket engines to a GJ cartridge? Hmmm...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have to vote for the Dardick, an open breech, magazine fed, double action revolver with interchangeable barrels chambered for .38 Dardick (actually 9mm) .30 caliber, and .22 caliber. Using triangular plastic cartridges it was an amazing handgun. A carbine was also produced, as was a flechette firing version that was (briefly) developed for the military by H&R.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Neat idea for a thread.

I thought the Trooper was the forerunner to the King Cobra? I didn't know the bit about the Python.
That's the Trooper Mk III that was the forerunner to the King Cobra...that's basically how that line transitioned; whether it was fully intentional or not.

Yep, there was also a Mk V model, a "Lawman", and "Whitetailer" variants

here's a photo of the lockwork on mine. As you can see, a V-leaf main spring

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot a P7 just the other day. My son has one.

Quite nice firearms. In fact if I saw one in reasonable condition at a reasonable price, I'd buy it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RJM
Star...you would have loved this one Kevin...LNIB...shot very well...

[Linked Image]

Quirky handguns...here is one that you don't see every day... a Sheridan....like in the airgun maker....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Never seen a Sheridan.
Is it single shot?

Gyro Jet!
I forgot about those.
Who was it... Dean Martin who played a spy that carried one?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just one more fun gun from The Box....

Bob

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Never seen a Sheridan.
Is it single shot?

Gyro Jet!
I forgot about those.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a Star PD .45acp for a few years. Light to carry, reliable (had the feed ramp polished), but a handful with hardball ammo.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by doubletap
I had a Star PD .45acp for a few years. Light to carry, reliable (had the feed ramp polished), but a handful with hardball ammo.

Ohhh Fantastic gun...only problem was it had a bastard magazine....in my opinion should of been a colt 1911 based mag then it would of been near perfect

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep,

Expensive magazine and the recoil buffer was an annoyance. But if you didn't have it, you'd beat the frame to death. The great thing about PD's is they're typically cheap; lot of gun for not a lot of money. Love those Spanish guns.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Never seen a Sheridan.
Is it single shot?

Gyro Jet!
I forgot about those.

Yes, tip-up barrel single shot....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by JamesDunn

Sounds like you got your moneys worth, would not have been near as memorable for everyone if you shot it and it just punched a hole in a target before disappearing. smile

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Agree with the P7 PSP, one of my favorites.

Also have a Broomhandle Mauser - what a neat mechanism! A pistol with no pins and only one screw - the grip screw! Disassembles like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jlin222
Also have a Broomhandle Mauser - what a neat mechanism! A pistol with no pins and only one screw - the grip screw! Disassembles like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle.
And considering what an early semi-auto pistol design it was, they work VERY well. If your broomhandle is all up to spec, and so is your ammo, a malfunction is a very rare thing; even in the mud and muck.

The locking block on those can sometimes become brittle, leading to a scary situation, because it's the only thing keping the bolt from coming back at your face. I've seen more than a few broken locking blocks, yet I've never heard of anyone actually have one fail while shooting.

Still, they are VERY cool pistols; really cool piece of history.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was always nervous shooting a gun that came apart to the rear....I am just saying....I always put new springs and good blocks in them before shooting....

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the H&K P9S was a bit out of the ordinary... i carried one over a lot of the planet... it was the best handling and most intuitive DA pistol i've ever known of...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
1907 Savage pocket automatic.

Ridiculously ahead of its time and their workmanship is second to none. The slide rails run inside the frame like a SIG and the seam between the slide and frame is barely noticable. It uses a 10 shot staggered magazine,...in 1907. I bought one of a whim one day back a few years ago, took it home, field stripped it, and and was amazed at the depth of manufacturing skill that was demonstrated in it.

Back in the days when it was introduced, the Colt pocket auto was its contemporary, and although costing significantly more money, the Savage handily outsold the Colt.

Time has pushed it aside, but it was and *is* a very premium piece of work, in engineering, fit and finish and ergonomics.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.