Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, it'll be a vote for Obama or Obama lite.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
We were addressing Texas' opt-out and if one doesn't know what it actually entails,that one shouldn't be criticizing it,imo.

OK, here is your easy opt-out..I live in the world of mandates and opt-outs

Governor Perry is misleading legislators and families in Texas by claiming that they will be able to �opt-out� of having their 6th grade daughter vaccinated with the vaccine for the sexually transmitted virus HPV. For many families currently, the exemption isn�t worth the piece of paper it is printed on. Besides the simple fact that parents should not have to get permission from the state to make informed consent medical decisions for their own children, here are four reasons why �opting-out� of sate mandated vaccines doesn�t work for many families in Texas:

�Opt-out� or Conscientious Exemption to Vaccination Process is a Bureaucratic Nightmare
To get the exemption form, parents must first submit a written form to State Health Department in Austin which forces the disclosure of the child�s full name, birthdate, and mailing address. The Health Department takes those written requests and creates yet another form on which they print the child�s same personal information that the parent had to send to health department, and the Health Department sometimes takes weeks to mail out these forms inevitably disrupting the child�s school attendance. The Health Department only sends the forms by U.S. mail, and once the parent receives the forms, they must be notarized within 90 days of submitting them and then repeatedly resubmitted every 2 years even though there is no expiration set in statute. [1] Because the Health Department further eroded parental rights by publishing more rules getting rid of provisional enrolment for exemptions, (families used to have 30 days at the beginning of school to get their paperwork in), now schools participate in aggressive misleading education campaigns touting �no shots � no school� while not informing families of the exemption or the instructions how to obtain it.

Private Schools Deny Admission
The Texas attorney general issued an opinion in April of 2006, ga0420, that states that private schools do not have to accept the conscience exemption to vaccination in Texas Law[2], and many private schools do not. For example, the Dallas Diocese for Catholic Schools policy number 5024 states, �Schools will comply with immunization requirements established by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department. Conscientious objections/waivers are not accepted in schools of the Diocese.� [3] Every new vaccine mandate causes more children with valid legal exemptions to be denied their private school education.

Doctors Refuse Medical Care
Even though you may be able to get a piece of paper from the state health department affirming your right to refuse state mandated vaccines for your child, just try and find a doctor who will honor it! According to a recent study published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 39% of pediatricians surveyed said they would throw kids out of practices who are not vaccinated. [4] PROVE has documented this rampant problem of doctors dismissing families utilizing a vaccine exemption in Texas to the legislature in previous sessions. Please review our report entitled �The Erosion of Public Trust & Informed Consent through Immunization Harassment, Discrimination and Coercion� prepared for the House Public Health Committee in 2005. [5]

Insurance Rates Rise and Accessibility Affected
Responsible parents who have secured health care coverage for their children will be forced to pay higher insurance rates whether they want the HPV vaccine or not. Even if you �opt-out� of the HPV vaccine mandate for Gardasil by Merck by securing a conscientious exemption waiver, there is no way for Texas parents to �opt-out� of the corresponding rise in their insurance premiums. � 1367.053. (a) (2) of the Insurance Code REQUIRES that any vaccine required be law must be covered by insurance. [6] This first-dollar coverage requirement results in corresponding direct hiking of insurance premiums to meet costs, and for a vaccine as expensive as this one, an HPV vaccine mandate risks putting premiums for basic health care coverage out of reach financially for even more Texas families. Additionally, we have received complaints from families where insurance companies are harassing parents with letters and discriminating on coverage based on whether or not the child has had all their state mandated vaccines.

[1] http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/school/school_exclusion.shtm
[2] http://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/GA/GA0420.pdf
[3] Policy Handbook for Schools, July 6, 2006, Policy 5024.
[4] WebMD, �Refuse Vaccine, Get �Fired� by Pediatrician?� by Daniel Denoon, October 3, 2005.
[5] http://www.vaccineinfo.net/harassment/report.pdf
[6] http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/IN/content/htm/in.008.00.001367.00.htm#1367.053.00

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know it's almost like no candidate is perfect. Imagine that. So let's eat them ALL as the press is instructing us to do and have O waltz in for another 4 more years so we can see the end of this sad story!

Orrr.... how about we concentrate on the candidate who has the most to offer to fix the current problems we face and will do the most to make some fairly significant and dramatic course corrections (which will NOT be popular for the masses) and realize there is still a very powerful legislative branch to balance any fears you have.

I submit the actions of the TX legislature quoted above as evidence.

Each candidate has pluses and minuses. If one minus cancel out every plus a candidate has, then you are 1) not realistic and 2) fooling yourself about your own 'perfect' candidate.
And no, I did NOT vote for McCain as he was a pile that was too large and smelly (and my state was a lock anyway). Thankfully I don't think we'll have another McCain in the general this go around.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I would have no problem voting for a Tea party newbie for pres.

New blood from top to bottom is the answer.

Last edited by oldmodel; 09/13/11.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If Perry loses the votes of all the people who don't want their daughters protected from a preventable form of cancer, I don't think that will hurt him much.

on the merits of the vaccine...here's what MD Anderson...probably the best cancer hospital in the world....says about it:
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-p...-president-opposing-hpv-vaccine-unethic/

Those who have some issue with process, I doubt will be voting on the basis of that.

And Bachman should have quit while she was ahead instead of making the idiotic statement about Gardisil and mental retardation......for which she is being horselaughed all over the internet today.

She was fading fast into the also rans and had to do something showy to get back in the top tier.....not sure she made it. She has to knock down Perry....those are her people he took.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
What's really hilarious is that I have not watched a single second of the debate and every post in this thread is completely predictable. Should be interesting to watch the thing now that I have read all the rubber stamp comments laugh

Here's one that ain't, Ron Paul lost my support for President

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Those who have some issue with process, I doubt will be voting on the basis of that.
It's a real issue not to be lightly dismissed. But to also dismiss the REAL outcome (over turned by the legislature) is not being intellectually honest. I'll give him this, he said it was a mistake. Not sure the last time I heard a politician say that. He should have just shut up after that instead of repeatedly trying to justify it as some higher than thou calling to "protect the cheeeeeldren." The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The guy (RP) was so close to coming out and thanking the terrorists for 9/11.... seriously, he's that freaking batchit crazy.

I didn't understand until I watched last night and listened to him, yep, nucking futts!!

I have zero time for any of his anti American rantings. If he loves al queda that much he should go live with them for a while so he can see how wonderful they really are.

I seriously wish he would.

Some of the RP cool aid drinkers are good folks and I resent him for misguiding them.

I never understood the RP bashers here on the campfire until last night, now I'm locking step with the Paul bashers.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

true dat....but in the case it's pretty much a case of....the road to your daughter's getting a preventable cancer is paved with stupid.

I didn't need the state to suggest it because I have...like...a real doctor for my daughter who give this shot routinely. I would hate to have to explain to an adult daughter dying of cancer that I "opted out".

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Paul and Huntsman should do the right thing and bow out. Anything further would be more theft from those who might have contributed to their campaigns.

It's going to be a two man race only before the first primary. The folks who wish to be taken seriously should focus their thoughts,opinions and crticisms towards which of these two are the best,most qualified candidate. Anything other than that is fantasy,theory and frivolity.

Last edited by isaac; 09/13/11.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
How is this any different than 2008-2004-2000 etc. I know obama and clinton had a lovefest going on(not). This is the way U.S. politicians do it.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Paul = crazy idiot

Huntsman = angry idiot

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not a Paul looney, but some of you are acting like Paul said that the 9-11 attacks were justified. He said that U.S. empire building has contributed to other countries hating the U.S. Tis true. I wish he had been more articulate. RP is too ideological and not politically savvy. But not everything he says is crazy, but it sounds so. We are just used to hearing half truths and having cherries on top of all things uncomfortable, so 200 proof truth is a bit strong for the tastes of most. His foreign policy is over the top, FTMP. His domestic and monetary ideas are bullseye, FTMP.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We had something strange happen in MN a few years back. People were sick and tired of political business as usual.

So the people sent a message, by electing jesse ventura... crazy

I do not support ron paul one bit, and the only person I can think of that would do worse is already in the freaking white house!! mad

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ragrding Perry's migration blunder last night....I would bet that someone advising Perry has suggested that he not back off of his "endorsement" of this free tuition silliness. Contrast his stance last night on this versus the innoculation issue. He was quick to say he was wrong on the Guardasil, and nothing of the sort on free tuition for illegals. The "no matter how they got here" stuff sounds rehearsed and if we hear it into the future, I feel like I'm right. I think he is clearly already jockeying for the Latino vote in the general. DO I agree with his principle...ummm..nooooooo! Do I think his posturing might win a bunch of Latino votes and prove politically beneficial????? Prolly. I'll have to hold my nose if need be.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Perry loses the votes of all the people who don't want their daughters protected from a preventable form of cancer, I don't think that will hurt him much.

Oh I don't think it will hurt him at all, if he is the other name on the ballot, he'll get my chad. I do believe however it shows along with his Texas Dream Act", that there is a strong possibility we would be electing another "compassionate conservative", unlike Bachman who more reflects the views on this board right here.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I believe the issue was the gov't getting into business that is not their own, NOT cancer vacination. The merits of the vacine are quite beside the point, and it is the apparent lack of understanding of this dynamic on the part of Perry that is most problematic in my mind and to most who love liberty. I don't need the gov't telling me what to do whether it is a flu vacine from the immaculate one or a cancer vacine from the slick Texan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As important as the mandate issue is, what will stick to Perry is the �Crony Capitalism� and business as usual you scratch my back and I will scratch yours.

I don�t want Perry doing in Washington what he has always done in Texas.

National Institute for Money in State Politics:
Among gubernatorial candidates who received contributions from Merck, Perry was second only to former California Gov. Gray Davis, who received $28,000.
Since the 2000 election cycle, the drug company has contributed $2.46 million to state-level candidates and party committees, doling their money out almost equally to both parties.
Democratic committees received just over $1 million and Republicans $1.4 million. Individuals employed by Merck gave an additional $2.5 million to state-level politics. Merck has helped finance races in forty states since the 2000 election cycle, when the Institute began collecting contribution data in all 50 states. Merck has focused intently on its home base, New Jersey, as well as giving in Florida, California and Pennsylvania. Combined, these four states have received more than $1 million from Merck, or 44 percent of the company�s total
contributions.
�At $360 for the three-shot Gardisal regimen, Merck could generate billions in sales if it is successful in its efforts to persuade the states to require the use of the vaccine.
MERCK CONTRIBUTIONS TO STATE POLITICS, 2000-2006
CYCLE TOTAL
2000 $550,894
2002 $764,126
2004 $641,082
2006* $504,250
TOTAL $2,460,352
* 2006 data collection is ongoing; totals may increase.
MERCK CONTRIBUTIONS BY STATE, 2000-2006*
STATE AMOUNT
New Jersey $317,600
Florida $256,000
California $251,439
Pennsylvania $249,775
Texas $158,143
Virginia $135,750
New York $118,025
Illinois $96,925
Ohio $93,570
Georgia $85,807
Missouri $57,500
West Virginia $52,250
North Carolina $48,000
Washington $47,850
Kansas $47,753
Arkansas $44,390
Louisiana $40,450
Kentucky $40,225
Alabama $36,000
Mississippi $31,700
New Mexico $31,300
Nevada $27,750
Oregon $27,500
Oklahoma $25,600
South Carolina $24,150
Utah $21,250
Indiana $17,000
Idaho $16,150
Maryland $13,650
Iowa $8,550
South Dakota $8,200
Colorado $8,100
Connecticut $7,250
Vermont $6,100
North Dakota $3,250
Nebraska $2,550
Delaware $1,350
New Hampshire $800
Maine $600
Montana $100
TOTAL $2,460,352
Note: Alaska does not appear on this list. It was never a lobbying target for Merck.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's sad to watch you flail like this. Just do me a favor,if you will. When SP announces her support for Perry,jump on the bandwagon.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
I am not a Paul looney, but some of you are acting like Paul said that the 9-11 attacks were justified. He said that U.S. empire building has contributed to other countries hating the U.S. Tis true. I wish he had been more articulate. RP is too ideological and not politically savvy. But not everything he says is crazy, but it sounds so. We are just used to hearing half truths and having cherries on top of all things uncomfortable, so 200 proof truth is a bit strong for the tastes of most. His foreign policy is over the top, FTMP. His domestic and monetary ideas are bullseye, FTMP.

unfortunaely, if you elect the sane half of him, the crazy half lives in the White House, too.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (320090T, 1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 17 invisible), 1,071 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,144
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.