Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Found this obit, referencing a late Colonel F. Thomas Aylward.

http://hosting-24092.tributes.com/show/John-P.-Jack-Aylward-89789391

Jack was the beloved husband of the late Mary E. (Joyce) Aylward with whom he shared 33 years of marriage. Devoted father of JoAnne A. Pierce and her husband Chris L. Pierce of Melrose and J. Colleen Ingalls and her husband Tom A. Ingalls of Melrose. Dear brother of the late Colonel F. Thomas Aylward, Walter A. Aylward II, James R. Aylward, L. Michael Aylward, Alfred J. Aylward, Marie A. Aylward, Nancy A. Bergen and Jane Hersee. Cherished grandfather of Liam H. Pierce, Olivia L. Pierce, Aidan T. Ingalls, and Teagan E. Ingalls. Also survived by many nieces and nephews.

Last edited by big drift; 09/19/11.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by thorneater123
Capt. F. T Aylward was my father. You have my father's rifle. May I ask how you acquired it? Would it be possible for me to aquire it from you.
Sincerely, "The Colonel's Daughter"
PS. Daddy is now at Arlington Cemetery, buried with full military honors on a very cold day in February 1987.

The plot thickens. shocked Promises to become one of the most interesting threads we have seen in years. smile

It certainly does.

From the obit:
Mr. John P. �Jack� Aylward, a resident of Melrose, passed away on Thursday, November 11, 2010 at Massachusetts General Hospital surrounded by his loving family. He was 79 years old.

Perhaps a different Mr. Aylward? Hmmmm...........

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

AYLWARD, FRANCIS THOMAS
AR United States Army
DATE OF BIRTH: 03/24/1918
DATE OF DEATH: 02/05/1987
BURIED AT: SECTION 60 SITE 567
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
C/O DIRECTOR ARLINGTON, VA 22211
(703) 607-8000

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Glad you posted that, Big Drift.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
http://www.warfoto.com/3rdpersonalsearch.htm

Link to the records keepers of the 3rd ID, they can help you on that end. Also confirms;

MG Eugene W. Ridings-May 1953 - Oct 1953

I can keep going as time permits if you wish I just have to run for now, good luck and please keep us informed as to how this develops.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Myth Busters received so much flack from their first test they decided to re-do the tests. The second time around, they used an authentic Russian PU3 sniper scope. I am not certain which bullet they tested, but I believe it may have been AP. In any event, they did get full penetration of the PU-3 scope and managed to kill Buster (the dummy).

The episode I saw resulted in penetrating the scope and "killing" the dummy.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by thorneater123
Capt. F. T Aylward was my father. You have my father's rifle. May I ask how you acquired it? Would it be possible for me to aquire it from you.
Sincerely, "The Colonel's Daughter"
PS. Daddy is now at Arlington Cemetery, buried with full military honors on a very cold day in February 1987.

WOW! I have been following this thread and that post sent chills down my spine. I hope this is real and not a joke or scam. I am inclined to believe you are being sincere and if that's the case I hope a positive outcome will be achieved between you and Loggah.

I will say that regardless of the outcome may all our veterans who have served us with honor and departed us in death rest peacefully in the the Lords' arms.

I'll be tuned in to this one for sure!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Myth Busters received so much flack from their first test they decided to re-do the tests. The second time around, they used an authentic Russian PU3 sniper scope. I am not certain which bullet they tested, but I believe it may have been AP. In any event, they did get full penetration of the PU-3 scope and managed to kill Buster (the dummy).

The episode I saw resulted in penetrating the scope and "killing" the dummy.
given a choice between mythbusters or reading from Hathcock's account- I'll believe Carlos

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has it occurred to anyone other than me that placing a decimal point one place to the left makes the whole story believable?

A group of field grade officers comes under fire from two enemy snipers , the officer most likely to be armed with a decent rifle , [the most junior] returns fire , killing both of the enemy.

The other officers have the plaque made in appreciation.

A "surveyed distance" usually has a decimal point.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Has it occurred to anyone other than me that placing a decimal point one place to the left makes the whole story believable?

A group of field grade officers comes under fire from two enemy snipers , the officer most likely to be armed with a decent rifle , [the most junior] returns fire , killing both of the enemy.

The other officers have the plaque made in appreciation.

A "surveyed distance" usually has a decimal point.

True. And at a mile, most small arms are not much threat......but at 200.....

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting for sure.

3 things point to fraud or exaggeration.

1. Scope Chief wasn't even a dream then.

2. 2 out of 3 at 1900 yds with that rifle is defying some incredible odds.

3. Enough brass standing around to lead a corps.

Sorry, I just ain't buying it. Too incredible to believe without more proof. A lot more.

Has it dawned on anyone that if this really happened, we would know about it today? Just like we know about Billy's shot and Hathcock's exploits?

With that much brass around, the story would have certainly been circulated by verifiable sources had it taken place.

Yet the only evidence of this happening is a plaque on the stock of an old rifle... whistle

JM

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I pm,ed these people yesterday saying i would sell the rifle to them for what i had in it!!!!! i do believe it should go back to the family,but i'm not going to lose money on it, and the never replied to my PM, i don't know what all the scuttle but here is about!! crazy crazy Maybe they dont know what a PM is being new members. Don

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider these explanations :

Enemy snipers - just like ours - slip into the enemy's CP area in search of hi-value targets like the group listed on the plaque.

The plaque is not installed on the rifle stock until AFTER the conflict , by which time the scope had been changed to the present one.

The decimal point being left out by the engraver explains the distance mistake.

No one has to be lying or intentionally misleading .A Captain of infantry taking out two enemy snipers at a couple hundred meters and maybe saving his boss's ass is an interesting story , but not one that would gain "legendary" status.

I think it is very believable in THAT light.

Take away the decimal point and it is horseshit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Has it dawned on anyone that if this really happened, we would know about it today? Just like we know about Billy's shot and Hathcock's exploits?"

My thoughts, exactly.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Evidently you and JM have me on "ignore".

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I kind of doubt there was any decimal points ever involved i think yards is pretty well explained. Don

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Loggah
I pm,ed these people yesterday saying i would sell the rifle to them for what i had in it!!!!! i do believe it should go back to the family,but i'm not going to lose money on it, and the never replied to my PM, i don't know what all the scuttle but here is about!! crazy crazy Maybe they dont know what a PM is being new members. Don

Good on you sir! I know damn sure and well that if it was my Fathers rifle I'd be following this thread 24/7 hoping for the kindness you've displayed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curdog,

That is certainly possible, but pretty unlikely.

Why would you put the serial no# of a scope on the plaque that was not on the rifle at the time of the shooting?

The only logical reason for doing this would be to fool someone and increase the value/authenticity of the package. The owner of the rifle certainly authorized this, so it tells me he is not above stretching the truth a little. maybe some freinds took the rifle and had it done for him...I don't know.

Not really buying the dot left off, especially since the person intentionally put the wrong scope on the plaque.

I also find the yardages of each kill suspect. Not only the distance, but the exact down to the yard distance between the 2 kills.

As it stands now, I think it's just a case of someone trying to impress his buddies back home.

Best,

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ths story seems too good to be true, though I hope it is true.

Wonder if perhaps the fancy engraving and plaque were a gift to the good Captain, for his efforts saving the Maj. Gen.?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 817 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.