Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
right now.

Over the years there have been many discussions, articles written and internet threads about what _____________ (rifle, shotgun, gun - period) you would own if you could only have one. Well, not a theory for me. Before I post the details of my most sincere question in this next part, I am VERY grateful to God for his provision. I have everything I need and all the regular monthly bills are paid and I eat well. Praise the Lord for his abundant life and for his care! I really mean that.

Current situation is that my health does not allow me to work like I once could and the world (Insurance based financial products) in which I made decent money for so long with hard work, caring for clients and such has changed quite a bit. Health and frustration with the new world order of "compliance" which ties the hands of the businesspeople who have served thier clients well for decades has caused - some would say forced- me to resign. There were bad actors out there for sure but .gov like usual of late has thrown the baby out with the bathwater in my region. Trying to survive in this new world order as a dinosaur from the past era probably has played a big part in my significant health decline. Could not do it anymore and still have 8 more months to go of a pretty onerous alimony payment.

Its all OK, though. Different for sure, cash flow is certainly different, and I just sold off the last of my handguns yesterday to keep above water for a while longer. Got enoguh out of them to pay some bills, make a trip down to CA to see two of my three kids and both grandchildren next weekend and to buy one modestly priced handgun. Get to meet a couple of 24hrcf folks in the Sacramento area as well and pick up an older Rokon I am trading a shootin iron for straight across so that I have something to use for critterhauling and mobility during the upcoming bug gams seasons.

Here then is the jist of this thread.

I need one modestly priced handgun to do it all for a little while. Be my woods walking gun in bear, cougar and wolf country so it must be bear capable, accurate and easy enoguh to shoot well to enable me to shoot the head off of an occasional grouse or other edible small game as opportunity arises, AND be my daily carry piece and my home / castle defensive arm.

I know me from experience that I will find excuses to NOT carry a gun if it weighs much more than an even pound, 16 or so ounces. It would be nice if it was thin enough to carry easily on a daily basis. My customized 329PD would have been, and was, about ideal for this other than being a bit phat but the other caveat is that I cannot spend $1,000.00 for this next do it all firearm. Will have to be closer to or maybe even under $500 with good sights, trigger, function etc. right out of the box. No money for a few more months to upgrade from a purely defensive type sighting system like I did on my 329PD (I don't shoot well enough with a big orange orb as a front sight to do small game duty) or other modification. Has to be ready to go, right now. Also sold my Kimber pro carry ll crimson trace model which might have done it all with Buffalo Bore 255gr Hardcast FN ammo or similar handloads for deep woodswalking work and good HP ammo for other carry purposes.

Thinking along the lines of the Taurus titanium revolvers, used, in 45LC, 41 Mag or similar or perhaps a decent, used, aluminum frame 4 inch 1911 with good sights and trigger etc. 45 ACP maybe a little light for black bear carry duty but maybe not..... Are there used 1911's in 10mm out there for half a thou or so? Can/should they be made with aluminum or polymer frames and a 4 inch barrel? Probably not gonna have CT laser sights aboard to keep under budget for the time being as much as I like them.

I am going to start shopping the classifieds here and hit the local sale ad papers as well as gun shows but really dislike being unarmed excepting my mostly large and long rifles and shotgun so the search is ON, and now, to get my hands on my all in one weapon and have it in hand and in the belt or holster soon.

Kinda hard to find an inside the waistband holster for a Benelli Super Black Eagle or a 416 Rigby! smile

Suggestions and input hereby sought, and thanks in advance for the idea's.

Blessings,

MARK

PS My WORD I am long winded! Thanks for reading this freakin NOVEL!

Last edited by safariman; 09/25/11. Reason: sp, of course and add PS

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I feel kind of funny giving recommendations to a guy with more gun experience than me and your price/weight/power restrictions make it pretty tough, but I'll take a stab at it.

I don't think you'll find an aluminum frame 1911 that weighs less than around 24 or 25 ounces and a Kimber is too expensive for your budget, so maybe a used Para Ordnance Warthog? I don't know anything about them, but I happened to have a catalog and see that they are a 1911, weigh about 24 ounces, and might meet your price restrictions.

Like the 10mm? The Glock is the obvious answer for your criteria. On another note, I ran across a guy at a gunshow with a used EAA Witness in one, that has been properly "sprung" (didn't know what that meant at the time, but looked it up later) for $400. It is pretty heavy, but felt pretty good.

How about a Kahr CW40? I have the P9 and love it, but the trigger pull has a lot of "take-up" and needs some getting used to. It has never missed a beat in nearly 1000 rounds, feels great in my hand, and is slim.

I was looking seriously at the S&W 60 in 3" with adjustable sights (the one with conventional sights, not the one with a "V" notch and orange "orb" as you called it!), but they seemed to run in the $500 used to $600+ new range. I settled on a Taurus 605 with 3" barrel and fixed sights for $350- but kind of wished I'd held out for the S&W.

Those are a couple suggestions off the top of my head, but the titanium Tauri sound like a good option, just don't have time right this minute to look at it!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As much as it pains me to say it: Glock. Used Glock, I see them NIB for around $399, $449, depending on caliber. Only route to a reliable 10mm for under $500 that I'm aware of. Good to go right out of the box.

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/25/11.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to both of you for some ideas. I had thought about the Glock route a bit. Not a great trigger for small game blasting, and they are kinda fat and chunky all over, but one of these might just be the way to go for a while. Might be one of these is the best I can do until after the alimony is paid. They are ready to go right from momma and they are inexpensive. I would want to put the lighter trigger spring kit into it but that is not an expensive swapout.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never owned a Glock and never intend to own a Glock but after looking at the Glock web site it looks like a Glock in a Commander size frame and slide might do it for you. You can get one in both .45 Auto and 10MM.

Don't over look a Colt Commander with an aluminum frame in ,45 Auto or .38 Super.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Been in the situation where I had to sell off my gun collection. Wound up w/ only a S&W 640.

Since budget is a high priority, I'd just look around for a deal on a used gun, w/o getting too hung up on a specific model. You'll know when you see it if it'll do the job for you. Browsing gun shops or a good gun show should turn up something suitable.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just looked quick at Para Ordnance, way more expensive than I thought.

Also saw where you have had Kahrs, but the magazine release didn't work for you.

I did a lot of shopping for something similar to what you're looking for. For me, it came down to the S&W 60 3" (from my above post) and what I "settled" on. I got a 5" aluminum-frame Taurus .45, (just over $500), then shipped it off to Mahovsky's MetaLife for hardchroming ($170). I'm pretty happy with it, but right after I got it, Ruger came out with their stainless 1911. If I had it to do over again, I'd have probably just gone that route- even though the Ruger weighs a little more with the steel frame. (Oh, I ended up with a 3" Taurus 605 too, a few months later. grin )

I loved the feel of the Ruger SR9/40 and it has a windage adjustable sight. I almost went with it.

I gave serious consideration to the S&W M&P too, but the grip felt too fat for me, even with the slim insert, but I noticed in the pictures of the Oregon get-together that you're a pretty big guy, so it might work for you. (At 5'8'", I have extra large hands, but comparatively short fingers.)

I forgot that I did handle a Taurus Tracker at a gunshow, it was priced around $450 new and it felt real good, but I just didn't want a ported gun. It also gets up around 35 ounces too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
Thanks to both of you for some ideas. I had thought about the Glock route a bit. Not a great trigger for small game blasting, and they are kinda fat and chunky all over, but one of these might just be the way to go for a while. Might be one of these is the best I can do until after the alimony is paid. They are ready to go right from momma and they are inexpensive. I would want to put the lighter trigger spring kit into it but that is not an expensive swapout.
Sorry to hear of your financial troubles. I second you on your praising God. Glad you are getting to see your offspring.

I hate to say Glock but I think the others are right, staying within your criteria. I'm hoping you can get back to owning another 329PD very soon though.

I would not shy away from your idea about the Taurus' either. I have never had a bad one, although I've heard about many. Here is a Judge variant that is only 23 oz.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-de...er&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=41

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mark, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. You are one of the good guys here and I am still grateful for the extraordinary help you gave me when I bought that Model 70 from your friend (Mark actually paid the guy for it to hold it for me, and I reimbursed him). Although I have never met you, I consider you a friend.

Regarding your handgun dilemma, I also feel a bit silly giving you advice, because you are an expert on this stuff already.

But I'll jump in and say that if I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a small or medium frame .357 revolver with adjustable sights, such as a 2 1/2 inch S&W M-19 or 66, a 3 inch S&W Model 60 or a Ruger SP101.

The first choice among these would be the 3 inch M60 if you can find one used.

My reasons for this recommendation are that nothing will give you a better combination of portability, versatility, power and practical accuracy than a good quality DA revolver.

Black bears, cougars and wolves are generally no bigger than humans and a good .357 load well placed would suffice for any of them in a defensive situation.

If you strongly prefer a semiauto, then my first choice would be a Glock 19 in 9mm. My reason for this recommendation is that the 19 is light and accurate, and a 9mm with good ammo is very effective and not far behind a .357. Since weight is a primary concern, a magazine loaded with 9mm is noticeably lighter than one loaded with .40, .45 or 10mm.

I carry a Glock 19 daily in the woods and it is small and light enough that I often forget it's there, but it is accurate enough to shoot rabbits with and powerful enough to give a feeling of security if it should become necessary to deal with the bigger critters around here. I usually carry a spare magazine so I have a total of 31 rounds available.

A new G19 should fit into your budget:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_43/products_id/13711

I hope your situation improves soon and that the world looks brighter. You deserve better than you have been getting lately.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/25/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was limited to only one handgun, it would be a revolver.

Since you don't seem to like fiber optic sights, I'd suggest you consider the Taurus Tracker in .44 Magnum with a 4-inch barrel. If you can live with the fiber optics, then the obvious choice would be the Taurus Ultra-Lite, again in .44 Magnum and with a 4-inch barrel.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wildhobbybobby,

Appreciate you remebering that, and the kind words and thoughts. High praise indeed that you consider me a freind. Reciprocated, amigo.

Looks like the Taurus revolvers and Glocks are getting lots of recommendations. Had a 360PD for a while, if I could find one of those used such might be a good option as well. I am pretty sure I still have some leather around for one of those.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I've never owned a Glock and never intend to own a Glock but after looking at the Glock web site it looks like a Glock in a Commander size frame and slide might do it for you. You can get one in both .45 Auto and 10MM.

Don't over look a Colt Commander with an aluminum frame in ,45 Auto or .38 Super.

If I ran across a Colt Commander or good quality clone of same with aluminum frame and 4 inches of tube, equipped with a beavertail safety (My fat hands HAVE to have this feature) and a decent trigger and sights for a reasonable sum I might jump on that. Kinda thought that at used prices they would still be closer to a Thousand bucks than $500 or a bit more but, maybe not.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RE power factors. I have always considered the 9mm to be on the weak side for carry in bear country, and wonder what ya'll think of a 45 in same. Theorizing that the Buffalo Bore +P 255's might be quite adequate but I am FAR more of a rifle guy than a handgun guy so leaning on you handgun nuts ofr intel and input.

With BLack bear season opon us, and a tag in hand, I was leaning toward 10mm and the 41 and up revolver rounds but glad to hear your thoughts on these. I do NOT plan to HUNT bears with my revolver, but have had to walk into extra thick puckerbrush, 329PD in hand and at the ready, after a bear or two that I THOUGHT should be dead, but ya just don't know sometimes.

Also there are some BIG bad guys around here. Alswys though the 9mm class of rounds to be a little light for an XXXL size nasty as well as 300+ pounds of black bear. What do ya'll think? And lwhile we are at it, what do you think of my idea of the Buffler 255's in 45ACP for this kind of duty?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds like you want a 45....grin. So that's what you should get, in my opinion. Confidence is important.

I'd try to get past your 16 oz. weight desire though. Kind of unrealistic for a decent accurate 45. I'd be on the lookout for a Glock, or a good deal on a 1911 that doesn't need a trip to the 'smith to be reliable, maybe even a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Also look at the 45 ACP Springfield XD, and S&W M&P.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd go with the Buffalo Bore flat point FMJ 230 grain +P load for the .45 Auto. Just make sure any .45 Auto is set up for +P loads.

James Dunn can give you all the poop on what's needed for +P loads.

I wouldn't hunt black bear with a .45 Auto +P loads but up close and personal is another matter. Get bear spray for your first line of defense if possible with the auto as a second line of defense.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Much less time of the year is devoted to hunting/dangerous game protection than to actual household/family/personal protection.
So, I'd first select what best fits my needs for a personal protection CCW.

Glock 19/23/29/30/38/32
S&W M19/66
Ruger GP100/Speed Six/Security Six/Police Six
A 1911 variant

The .357 Magnum is very, very dependable and proven. The .357 Sig is no slouch.
10MM is even harder hitting.
The 9MM gives the opportunity for more rounds on hand, and don't discount its ability to penetrate deep while being quite accurate.
.40 and .45 can simply get it done. LEO proven.

Crime stats lead me to believe one will run into bad people much more often than one will run into bad animals. For me, that is concern #1.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'd go with the Buffalo Bore flat point FMJ 230 grain +P load for the .45 Auto. Just make sure any .45 Auto is set up for +P loads.

James Dunn can give you all the poop on what's needed for +P loads.

I wouldn't hunt black bear with a .45 Auto +P loads but up close and personal is another matter. Get bear spray for your first line of defense if possible with the auto as a second line of defense.

Good points, all. Looks like at the next gun show I will be hunting up a G-20 (if that is the 10mm full sized model) or an aluminum framed 1911. Wouldn't use the +P stuff for regular shooting in an aluminum frame gun, but wouldn't hurt a thing to have it aboard for actual carry and or bear country last resort. If I HAVE to use the gun to save a life, I won't much care if the gun is destroyed in the process.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if I found a good deal on a full size 1911 of good manufacture in 10mm, either.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Make sure to get your hands on the G29 (10MM) and the G30 (.45ACP).
They are great for carry, have good balance, hold plenty of rounds and are quite accurate for their size.
Some feel they are simply more accurate than the full sized models.
You don't give up very much in velocity from the full sized G20/G21 either.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have to go the 357 revolver! 3-4 barrel, find a nice used one smith or colt! will get you thru this till things get better, and good luck!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.