Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lochsa
I saw one other thread relating to Kimber and accuracy but thought I'd start one of my own.

The "speed bump" was definately a defect from the factory. I removed it and opened the barrel channel up some.

The trigger is actually really good. I'll lighten it a bit though.

I didn't think to try adding a temporary bridge.

For those that have sent your rifles back to Kimber for work, what exactly did they do? re-barrel?

you guys must walk around with clouds over your heads, I have 3 of them and everyone of them shoots good.

There are so many places to look, who knows about your scope, your mounts, any handloads or even if you can shoot.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lochsa
I recently traded for a used Kimber Montana in 257. Before shooting it, I removed the action from the stock. There was a good sized bump in the stock on the left side where the barrel starts to taper. The barrel wasn't floated very evenly either. Before shooting it, I sanded out the speed bump and opened up the channel for better clearance.

The only ammo that I've shot so far is Hornady 117 SPBT factory. I'm getting about 1.5" for the first two shots and the third is at least 4" to the right. I'm sure that my groups would be better if I let the barrel completely cool between every shot but I wanted to see if I could possibly get a three shot group.

Any suggestions on how to get the most accuracy out of the rifle. I've ordered some Devcon to bed the stock. I'd like to do this before starting my load development. To start, I have hornady 100's and Barnes 80 TTSX and H4350.

put 47 grains of H4350 into a WW case, put a 100 grain TSX into it at 2.81 inches and go shoot it. Again, what scope, what mounts, can you shoot? Also rest it back by the lug, not at the tip, the tips are flexible. Also I will give you $500 for it sight unseen if you want to sell that POS right now.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll go $520! (what is the buy it now price?)

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bedding is an interesting subject and it seems most oft tied to the 82 Trick Move Theorum anymore,which never ain't not good for humor.

While there are many trains of thought and a multitude of approaches to sound bedding,there is in actuality very little to it,unless a Window Licker broaches the subject,concocts a chart and starts flying Imagination.

Old School train of thought,is to craft by hand a mirror image of the receiver,into a given stock's recesses. It's far and away the most expensive way,less any Real World attributes...but it do horn some up for unknown reasons. Apparently some are soothed by the notion that Gregorian Monks chanted mindlessly for 1000's of hours to yield shy of what a tablespoon of bedding compound and a beer would garner. To surprisingly many,making easy schit hard adds to the "results".

Flipside is an inlet generous in relation to the receiver,less any obvious hurdles. It is an inordinate receiver/stock melding that doesn't follow suit there.

Now as to a Kimber Montana proper,one can eliminate a host of unwanted variables right out of the gate. They are not forced into the inlet and bound off kilter with great stresses afflicted the receiver,nor do pillars compress. Have never seen a depth woe,nosedive,muzzle up attitude or one bottomed out on it's lug...they simply get a lot of schit right out of the gate,but I haven't played with more than a few dozen.

Given those constants,the sole mechanical issue that remains is the lug's fit into it's recess. If your lug is dancing all bets are off,capture same and small Agg's are the game.

Some get very horned up with schit that don't matter,though I'm the antithesis and results never don't not interest me. Have never been in a scenario where the talk went "1,2,3, boys...let's examine inlets and take pictures of the bedding". I learned a few hundred rifles ago,that fluff don't matter,so it obviously do not interest me personally.

So long story short,I'd be inclined to expose the lug recess less any paint and simply add a dollop of compound into same and walk away. From there I give fastener length and gorilla torque values serious consideration and mightily apply same. I haven't the time nor inclination to suffer schit glass,so do not,nor am I into schit mounts.

I tend to note the location of sling studs,give them wide berth when forced to slum bags or similar and am a fan of good ammo crafted in accords to a given rifle's preferences.

Headspace and seating depth control are two things that most miss by miles too and many rifles haven't a chance to dazzle,due to the deluge of hamstrung mechanics they're forced to suffer.

Still happily buying Montana's that "don't shoot".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This "Boxer Guy" is quite the purveyor of the Kings English.
He speaketh mostly truisms that are basic and gravitate to common sense in the extreme. If I didn't know I was on 24HCF, I'd think I was reading Shakespeare. grin

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Boxer

So long story short,I'd be inclined to expose the lug recess less any paint and simply add a dollop of compound into same and walk away.

He speaks the truth...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They call it Whoopisms smile

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

The rifle has leupold bases/rings and Leupold VXll 3-9. I have talley LW's on order. The scope came off my 243 and functions fine. The last session was off a bench with a good rest.
below is a three shot group at 100 yds from my Winchester 70 300WSM which wears the same scope as the Kimber.

[Linked Image]

I shot one three shot group with the Kimber. The first two were about 1.5" and the third was about 4" to the right. I let it cool completely and a friend duplicated what I just did. Third shot was about 4" to the right. Shots were about 1 minute apart. The barrel was warm but not hot.

I think bedding will help. and NO the rifle is not for sale....yet

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, too many other things that need to be done without having play roulette with a rifle that may or may not shoot. I'll pass on the Kimbers.

_
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
_
...Apparently some are soothed by the notion that Gregorian Monks chanted mindlessly for 1000's of hours to yield shy of what a tablespoon of bedding compound and a beer would garner.

Coffee...meet screen. grin

Absolute classic!

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I couldn't correlate the "heat" from 3 rapid pokes in a Montana of any chambering,to being a blueprint for Improved Cylinder 100yd clusters...though I surely could bedding woe(s).

Dealing in known glass,is a great means of scratching away at the list of possible suspects. As per always,a rifle simply can't be any better than it's weakest link and if viewed objectively,the links are in fact numerous. Too many wish to pretend this schit is hard,when in fact it's all a breeze,if/when one is armed with a shred of sense as a minimum. The clueless will continue to point fingers at everything but themselves and chastise routinely splendid wares,as a means of "vindication" for their gross ineptitude. It simply amazes me,at how many are stumped with fasteners alone.

As a routine control,I'd say bang away with a new toy in it's issued guise,if only for giggles. Then allow it to breathe,by giving the trigger pull some love,capture the lug and feed it the best fodder you can. That simple premise will reliably bear fruit and ring the bell.

You'd then have to be having seizures to toss something out of a tidy Agg,or reading a JeffO post as you yanked the trigger and were fighting tears of laughter and a heaving chest writhing to arrange oxygen resupply from the exertion spent belly laughing.

Dabbling a touch deeper,I couldn't personally cuss an unbedded rifle tossing lackluster factory fodder,as a means of an objective evaluation.

But in fairness,god bless the clueless boobs like 'jrd who's sole experience is shooting their mouths...if only for the requisite humor.

It's never not difficult to immediately discern who puts firing pin to primers and who pretends. Anymore,the pretenders abound and they'll happily go to great lengths to prove same,though often on accident.

Bless their hearts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
also try another bullet, mine will not shoot 110 grain accubonds, it will not shoot them at all despite trying with 2 boxes and 3 powders. It will shoot anything else I tried including the 117's. I up the anty $550 sight unseen.

L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
that's funny schitt boxer. My Talley's have arrived and still waiting on the Devcon.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll go $600 and I'm lefty!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5645955/1

There is some very useful information on this forum....saved me from having a kimber paper weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never seen a "bad" Kimber,though I have seen a lot of boobs botch fine rifles. Most are stumped at the loading bench,in over their heads with bedding,are clueless about mount/glass selection,favor botching torque values,never give fastener lengths a gawk and are piss poor shots to boot.

Curiously enough,those constants do a rifle's precision no favors.

Flipside being,I've shot more tidy Agg's with rifles that "didn't shoot",than I could begin to count. A rifle can be no better than it's Operator.

funny how the same boobs don't have any problems getting their tikkas to shoot. after all the problems with kimbers, if you have 500 posts on this board you have lost the right to whine about how crappy they shoot. because its your own darn fault for buying a crappy product.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Funnier yet,that someone thinks a Tikka is viable and you obviously have a very good sense of humor for attempting to pawn such a notion off.

Tough to trump a boob for inherent humor and it's always best when they are making a "point" and trying to be serious.

Bless their hearts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've just about convinced myself some couldn't shoot a rail gun accurately and have no idea what to do when a rifle "doesn't shoot".

Bedding? It's a total mystery, voodoo, requires incantations and chain smoking green turds to accomplish.

Straight ammunition? What's that? Course it's all straight. I bought it WalMart and it fits when I close the bolt. I do reload, but some boolits just won't shoot, they are notoriously bad. Nevermind the seating cup of the die is too shallow to allow straight seating. Nope, it's the boolit. Them BarneVLDSierraHornady suck donkey ballz.

Action screws? What to do? Do I add loctite or not?

Base screws? Naw, they couldn't be too long, I got 'em in the right slots and they tightened down didn't they? Loctite, what's that and why would you want to use that? It's just for noobs that don't know anything. Any base made should be straight and be perfectly fitted. After all, they are for the Kimbermingtonchester aren't they?

Pillars? Yep, it's gottem and I read somewhere if a rifle has them, they will always shoot. Must be the barrel, couldn't possibly be they are crooked, off center, bearing directly on the action.

Scope? Nope, can't be, it's a ZeisnLoopieMueller and they are known to be perfect.

Stable, repeatable rest off a bench? What bench? I use a picnic table, flower pot turned upside down to rest the barrel on to shoot off of. What wrong with that?

Shooting with a sling? NEVER, I read somewhere that if you use one, the rifle will shoot different. That's because the sling causes the rifle to recoil differently. Really? Ever think maybe you don't know how to use a sling, their is a pressure point and your pulling the stock away from the original position? Nope. Can't be, thats because I was told this 20oz stock is as hard and stiff as woodpecker lips.

What's two grouping? Some kind of square dance? Homey don't play that.

On and on and on.......

lochsa, this wasn't directed at you nor anyone in particular. Just at those that read and regurgitate that something sucks or doesn't and by God I'm NEVER going to have one them there things.

Here's a little secret or two: there's a reason BR rifles are bedded and free floated. Also a reason why some sell dead length bullet seaters, runout gauges, OAL gauges, different bullets, powders, brass.................................

Good grief.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funnier yet,that someone thinks a Tikka is viable and you obviously have a very good sense of humor for attempting to pawn such a notion off.

Tough to trump a boob for inherent humor and it's always best when they are making a "point" and trying to be serious.

Bless their hearts.

oh so a tikka isn't viable and a kimber is, goodness sakes how do you figure that.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dabbling a touch deeper,I couldn't personally cuss an unbedded rifle tossing lackluster factory fodder,as a means of an objective evaluation.

cool

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 270cowboy, 68 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,405
Posts18,506,968
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.