Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ck30943
Eddie, this is Archie..... We shot the blue thunder this past weekend......by far the best cerakote job I have ever seen.... And it was my sons rifle.... And I payed for it !!!!!!! Eddie... RB recommended you and he wasn't wrong......just keep up the good work.......don't sweat the small stuff...... Your work is second to none.......

Eddie's work is the best in the coating business period. Cant wait to have him build me an entire gun!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by passport
Eddie's work is the best in the coating business period. Cant wait to have him build me an entire gun!

And you know this how? Have you used every coater out there that uses Cerakote to confirm it? whistle laugh

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joecool544
Originally Posted by passport

And you know this how? Have you used every coater out there that uses Cerakote to confirm it? whistle laugh

I've not used "all" of them, but I've used 6 different folks/shops to cerakote rifles and one shop to teflon coat a single rifle. Eddie and Karl Feldkamp have been the only 2 to return perfect work. When I have another that needs coating it will go to Eddie.

The OP made a reference to coating the bolt face... I recently recieved a rifle I had teflon coated (not by Eddie) which had the bolt face and lugs coated. It is a .223AI with a blind mag and I wanted to check feeding so I made some dummy rounds and did some testing. Feeds great...however...the pluger/ejector stopped kicking the dummies out. It seems the coating may have been enough to cause it to stick. This coating was also proposed as a slick coating...not something that should cause a part to stick. It did this off and on for about 30 rounds of feed testing. I removed the bolt and patiently worked it with the flat end of a nail head until it loosened up enough that it stopped sticking. It hasn't happened again since, but I haven't spent much time with the rifle since either....

Cerakote = thumbs up
Eddie's work = thumbs up
Coating the bolt face/lugs = thumbs down

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not defending anyone, but I see no reason to not coat a bolt face or lugs. Lugs might be a different story, simply because it is going to wear off eventually anyway. I own cerakoted rifles, and don't hold its durability is as high as regard as some. It can most certainly wear off in high friction areas.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
To Eddie and all, The soul purpose of this post was taking this conversation further and educating anyone with an interest in the subject. It was not to call you or anyone else out as right or wrong. Quality was never in question. You clearly do a good job. Nothing wrong with any combination of parts coating. It's custom work and you get it any way you want it. Enough of the personal bashing and lets try to learn something from the users of this stuff. I'm not looking to promote anything other than a quest for knowledge. Copy that? Now lets move on.

I have seen the subject of to coat or not coat the lugs many times before. I fully understand the arguments why one would or would not. I brought out these exact points of view when were trained at Cerakote. They assured us overwelmingly the resonse from the majority of certified coaters and their own in house engineering tests that it is an advantage to coat the lugs and face. They said it added lubricity and helped prevent galling as well as extend the corrosion protection.

The last few posts have finally started going in the right direction. Personal testimonials from having it done both ways. We all could say something about not having those parts coated as not many rifles come that way. What I wanted mainly to hear from is the guys that have done it that way or own a rig done this way. If we can't do that then I would just rather see the thread die.

If you have a rifle with coated lugs I/we want to hear about it.
It need not be Cerakote. Anycoat including Microslick.

Personal first hand testimony = Thumbs up
Being disrespectfull = Thumbs down

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you're going to coat something, then coat it, or don't bother.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Now we are talking. Tell us more about it. About how many rounds? Did it close up your headspace? Was it sticky or require any break in. Would you do it again? Stuff like that.

Thank you for your input.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's Black-T by Birdsong. Only several hundred rounds on that bolt so membe she's still a virgin. I've many guns done by them cause I trust them 100%. Black-T is thinner than that other stuff and headspace is a non-issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the differance between Cerakote and MicroSlick?
AMRA

Molan Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Micro Slick is manufactured by NIC (makers of cerakote). It's a dry film lubricant that is thinner than cerakote. It isn't as corrosion resistant as cerakote, but according to the folks at NIC, it provides about 1/2 the corrosion protection that cerakote does (which is still more than most other coatings).

I have used it on bolt bodies and the bolt carrier groups on AR's. It's a slick coating and gray in color. Just about a perfect match to Cerakote Sniper Grey.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I sure like the color of the Micro Slick - its a bad picture but the bolt on this LVSF was done in Micro Slick and is holding up great and is well pretty slick - thanks by the way Eddie:)

Attached Images
LVSF action.JPG (49.69 KB, 165 downloads)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first rifle that I had cerakoted, the lugs were coated and I surely wasn't impressed. The next three I insisted they NOT be coated. OMMV.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,895
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.