Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And I don't have a number 4 from anyone on anything.

That's cause you're old and soft........... grin

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If ounces matter, get flutes.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

It doesn't. Jim said it earlier, a fluted barrel is stiffer than a round barrel of the same weight...

Would a 20" #5 be less stiff than a 24" fluted #4 then if they weighed the same ?

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not a metallurgical engineer, but...

I don't believe in the value of fluted barrels. As stated, for a given weight the fluted barrel in theory will be stiffer, although there isn't that much in it because the loss in stiffness with fluting is actually greater than the loss in weight. So if you remove say 20% weight, you will lose about 30% stiffness. I have seen no evidence that the whole cooling thing actually works - in fact the experiments i have seen have actually suggested fluted barrels may heat up faster!. When you think about it, a round barrel just has more metal to soak up the heat which tends to offset any benefits thru enhanced convection. And conduction into the surrounding metal is much faster. Of course, the other issue is, has your barrel getting too hot ever been a problem when you are actually hunting. If it has, i would suggest it is your markmanship you need to work on, not your barrel.

The big problem with fluted barrels seems to be that they just aren't done properly. As a simplification, most people put the flutes in such a way that then introduces stresses into the metal and may affect the bore. You can make a whippy barrel produce great accuracy, if you take the time to carefully tune your ammunition to the harmonics of your barrel. You will never get a barrel with unrelieved stresses or non-uniform bore to shoot great. And this only gets worse as a barrel heats up. So if you want a fluted barrel, make sure you get one from a reputable barrel maker - and it'll cost you a lot.

Another observation i'll make is that most fluted barrels i see are done to produce a relatively stiff but lightweight barrel. But they are done in stainless steel. If you want a stiff barrel for weight, i would suggest my understanding is that you are still much better off with plain, old, boring Cr-Mo steel, which is still significantly stiffer than any of the stainless steels currently being used in rifle barrel manufacture. There are some promising aerospace stainless steels out there, which come close to Cr-Mo steel, but they aren't being used in rifle barrels as yet (to the best of my knowledge).

If you really want a stiff, lightweight barrel, i'd currently be looking at the CF-wrapped barrels. Personally, i am sticking with my plain old boring blued steel sporter barrel - which is giving me sub 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Last edited by dhg; 10/04/11.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would a 20" #5 be less stiff than a 24" fluted #4 then if they weighed the same ?

I see I was too casual in my conversation by not constraining the length.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just seeing if you were paying attention......... grin

My next question was going to be about indexed fluting...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Played around with Lilja's barrel weight calculator for a possible project.

For a .284, 24" barrel:
Standard #4 weighs 3.20lbs
Standard #2 weighs 2.69lbs
A fluted #4 weighs 2.54lbs

It is my understanding that fluting a barrel does not increase stiffness, but going to a larger contour that is fluted is stiffer while weighing the same.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Unless you've just gotta have it, for a one shot one kill big game rifle, I just don't see any sense in it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like the theories in support of a fluted barrel, and like the looks, so my latest build has a fluted #4. When deciding on the interrupted vs straight fluting, the guys at Brux thought the interrupted fluting would offer marginally more stiffness, so that's the way I went.

[Linked Image]

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A3 or A5?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
On a light weight they're outa the question all together. On a sporter weight they look cool as with a varmint or larger tube. I had Karl spiral flute my varmint barrel on my 223 AI and love how it looks......that said I will have a hard time doing it again because what you spend on flutes will pay for half another barrel.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Then again bolt flutes do nothing and the price is worth it to me.....lol?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they are cool as chit!!! that being said i have a few and know for the cost i could be half way to another barrel... cool yes but worth it?? maybe? just for cosmetics in my book!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
actually the spiral flutes in the bolt can help rid an action of dirt and sod and stuff.... don't ask... it's works good though!!!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've seen gun writers and manufacturers claim that the flutes actually stiffen the barrel.

I would have to see that proven to believe it.

If you want to reduce the weight of your rifle, they can certainly do that. Fluted barrels will also cool a little faster because they have more surface area. Not sure that matters on a hunting rifle though.

I think they look pretty neat, but don't have any with flutes.

JM

Hurry and buy that Extreme Weather and then you will have whistle grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like my 2 rifles that have fluted barrels. One is a FN PBR XP 300 wsm and the other is my winchester model 70 extreme weather. If you want one then get it!!!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish they still made the original "Extreme Weather" rifle..

[color:#990000][u]Winchester CS Extreme Weather II[/u][/color]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, but they were damn expensive!!!!!! But you are right they were nice and you could even get one in left hand. Come to think of it Roy, my FN PBR XP 300WSM is basically one except in a blued finish. Better trigger (old style) but mine was worked over by the boys at FN.....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This was my favorite (but don't tell BobinNH that)

[color:#990000][u]Mod 70 Custom Ultimate[/u][/color]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That barrel is hideous.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.