Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just came up with a good plan. You buy the gun from me and then we can shoot it all we want to!

You likee plan??

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Saturday already! Don't want anyone to miss out on taking a look at this Winchester so here it is.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I just came up with a good plan. You buy the gun from me and then we can shoot it all we want to!

You likee plan??

I couldn't come up with that much money if I sold ALL the guns I own! I'll send this back to the top so somebody with more money than myself can get a really good rifle for a good price.

M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It looks to be in great shape but how do you know it's unfired? It seems odd that someone would have mounted a scope on this rifle originally and never fired it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Visual inspection plainly shows that it has not been fired. Not only my inspection but from at least two gunsmiths and the knowledgeable guys at our local Scheel's sporting goods. Not people like you find in Cabala's or Sportsman's Whse., but people that know what they are talking about.

The scope was mounted but not even bore sighted. What do you find suspicious about that?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just curious as I have rifles in my collection that are in similiar shape and would be curious how to tell if they are unfired or just appeared unfired.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade!

Winchester test fired all of these at the factory. Looks like the 2 gunsmiths (had to take it to 2 because you didn't believe the first?) and highly paid rocket scientists at Scheel's don't know what they are talking about...or did you just make that stuff up to try and sell this gun for an "unfired" premium? Unless a gun has factory paper from Winchester that it hasn't been fired, or is obviously NIB, without a scope and rub marks on the extractor its just an excellent condition model 70, not an unfired collector. And what kind of idiot gunshop owner puts an unfired pre-64 collectable model 70 out on a rack for every Jim-Bob to cycle??

Nice gun, but tough to believe it's unfired.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boobman
Winchester test fired all of these at the factory. Looks like the 2 gunsmiths (had to take it to 2 because you didn't believe the first?) and highly paid rocket scientists at Scheel's don't know what they are talking about...or did you just make that stuff up to try and sell this gun for an "unfired" premium? Unless a gun has factory paper from Winchester that it hasn't been fired, or is obviously NIB, without a scope and rub marks on the extractor its just an excellent condition model 70, not an unfired collector. And what kind of idiot gunshop owner puts an unfired pre-64 collectable model 70 out on a rack for every Jim-Bob to cycle??

Nice gun, but tough to believe it's unfired.

Boob,

He said "at least 2 gunsmiths" not just 2...get your schit straight! grin

Free bump for a nice rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, just don't believe it then. No problem.

=o=====o=====o=====o=====o=====o=====o=====o=====o=====o=====o=

KT, thanks.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
49 post on this thread here and still no sale.

Does being a pre 64 give it entitlement?

You think?

Good thing not everyone does this.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reelman
Just curious as I have rifles in my collection that are in similiar shape and would be curious how to tell if they are unfired or just appeared unfired.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade!

Naw, you didn't rain on my parade. Sorry if I came across like that.

As we both know, any gun can be cleaned up good enough by the right people with the right equipment so that it just might be impossible to really tell.

I start by inspecting the muzzle as if there is any visible copper fouling, that's usually where you can see it. Look closely at the very end to see if there is any powder residue at the edge of the bore. Put a patch on your cleaning rod along with some Sweets and see if you can get any green stuff to show up from in the bore.

Remove the bolt and really give it the once over. Small shavings of brass can be in any type of rough place or even firing pin hole or extractor grooves. Look everywhere you can for any signs of brass residue as minute particles usually can be found if the rifle has been fired. Stick your little finger in the chamber as far as you can and try to dig out some residue from there.

That's a rough ideas of what I do when trying to determine whether or not one has been fired and don't think I have been fooled yet. There are probably some guys here that can add to my method so maybe they can be of some help.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
49 post on this thread here and still no sale.

Does being a pre 64 give it entitlement?

You think?

Good thing not everyone does this.

Why not??

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigbuck215: That is a dandy looking Rifle you have there.
I am wondering if any of this balderdash that some posters have made regarding your Rifle has incurred in you any intention of lowering the price?
I live in Montana and would drive to Billings to inspect and pay cash for said Rifle if you could tempt me with a bottom dollar, no shipping, no case price.
Answer via E-mail if you wish:
VarmintGuyaol.com
Best of luck in selling your nifty Rifle
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just sent ya a PM.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I am wondering if any of this balderdash that some posters have made regarding your Rifle has incurred in you any intention of lowering the price?
I live in Montana and would drive to Billings to inspect and pay cash for said Rifle if you could tempt me with a bottom dollar, no shipping, no case price.
VarmintGuyaol.com
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have no intention of lowering his price - just trying to help others to avoid a purchase they might later have trouble selling as "unfired". $1500-$1850 is a real fair price for a rifle in this condition (I've got over 50 of them) and it just might bring $2000 after an inspection, so my issue certainly isn't with the asking price.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Boobsie, what you have to say doesn't bother me in the least but it sure is great to have an overnight "expert" show up here to help keep us dishonest ones in line and make sure that nobody gets stung. Very noble of you.

And you can sell yours for what they are worth and I will do the same.

O, how's things in Afton?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sold yet? Need offer?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You have a PM.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Boobman
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
VarmintGuyaol.com
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have no intention of lowering his price - just trying to help others to avoid a purchase they might later have trouble selling as "unfired". $1500-$1850 is a real fair price for a rifle in this condition (I've got over 50 of them) and it just might bring $2000 after an inspection, so my issue certainly isn't with the asking price.

Take out your wallet or STFU.

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Take out your wallet or STFU, Framis.

Fixed it for ya.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 50 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,137
Posts18,523,243
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.