Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My last 4 trucks have been Fords (all 2 wheel drive)
I`m looking for a 4 wheel drive for towing a toy hauler
I`m really liking the looks of the Chevy 2500 over the F250.
But the Ford will tow more.
What`s your preference?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i bought a Chevy in 07 because i didn't want to deal with the ford gas motor, now i not sure the ford has a lot going for it mostly not being GM
and yes my 6.0 Gas would out pull and get better mileage then my buddy with the 5.4 F250

Last edited by WyoCowboy; 10/24/11.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Chevy has a 6.0, ford has a new 6.2.
According to their respective charts the Ford will tow about 2,500 more lbs than the Chevy. That`s quite a difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True, i suspect the new ford power train is a hell of a go getter

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I`m still likin the Chevy more

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chevy has a stiffer frame/suspension.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Chevy has a stiffer frame/suspension.

I don't believe that, especially on the heavier duty trucks.
(my opinion anyways)

Regardless, if you're looking at a used model stay away from a 5.4 in a 3/4 ton. They'll do fine on flat ground pulling, but you get any sort of hills or free-way speeds pulling and your mileage will be just as bad as the V10 with a lot less power.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As of now,the GM has a better transmission. Fords new 6 spd behind the 6.2 is having some issues. There are a couple LONG threads about it on the Ford sites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Here ya go. Don't get too mad, just having a little fun.

Not mad at all, but when a manufacturer posts something do you honestly think it's going to show the competitors at an advantage in any way?

Interesting clip, the first one anyways that I watched.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about any of the gassers in 3/4-1 ton models these days.

What I do know is I travel a LOT around the central US around various horse type activities. Duramax might be a hell of an engine these days and they have probably the best factory tranny (Allison) but they aren't great when adding more power.

My long story longer, you just don't see many Chevy/GMC's pulling BIG horse trailers with living quarters. A lot of Fords and I would say 60-70% Dodges out there the last handful of years.

Head up to the Cities to a big horse event (that's where I'm going this weekend) and it's mostly Fords/Dodges pulling the heavy trailers.

Head out West River South Dakota where they're hauling 20000 lb hay trailers and you see more Dodges than anything.

Do they all have their strengths and weaknesses, they sure do.
Are any of them really bad, not really. In the real world does it really matter who makes it up to the top of a 2 mile long grade a couple seconds quicker? I really don't give a chit.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd take a Dodge over any of them. But, since you asked, Ford. For one, they out sell Chevy when it comes to trucks. Two, they aren't owned and run by Uncle Sam. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree. In the real world they all make good trucks. A fellow generally drives his brand because thats what his father did. Outside of the Ford diesel SNAFU, they are all solid. Go with the brand you like based on style or cab. I know someone who switched brands because the cupholders were better in a Ram than a Chevy, and he didn't like the windows in a Ford.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I despise the CV shafts the Chevies use for front axles on their 3/4 tons , so I would take the Ford if limiting myself to a gas motor.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plan on getting into any rough stuff with the truck? Ford heavy duty 4x4 uses a solid (live) front axle that can take a good deal of abuse. Dodge Ram also uses a solid front axle on their heavy duty trucks. Chevy on the other hand has an independent front suspension. It uses two exposed axles with constant velocity joints covered by a boot at each end. I should provide a nicer highway ride at the expense of more vulnerable front end components. That's why you'll only ever see Ford and Dodge Ram heavy duty trucks used on logging sites. If you'll only stay on pavement the Chevy is an option. If not, Ford is my choice.

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the real world info guys, that`s what I was after.
I`m new to 4 wheel drive and trailer towing. ( I did drive my Dads Dodge pickup with tow behind camper down to Key West over the old bridges when I was seventeen. My a$$h0le is still puckered!)

I really think the increased towing capacity of the Ford over the Chevy or Dodge seals the deal for me.

Thanks again, Dennis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me since they are all pretty good vehicles, Ford dominates in most areas of this market historically but the big thing is that Chrysler and GM took bail out money so I am boycotting any NEW vehicles from them.

My 96 Powerstroke Crew Cab has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned except maybe a Civic. That being said the post referred to gas engines anyway.

Buy what you really want so you only buy once!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I drive a 99 F350 SWB Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.4 and 4R100 auto, Probably the most gutless combination out there. It does just fine. I get about 12mpg empty, 10 towing. I have towed with it a bit, mostly cars, trucks, the odd load of hay here and there. I think the heaviest I have had on it was around 9k lbs. It did fine. Sure wouldn't win a drag race, but attaining and maintaining highway speeds was not an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spend some time in Texas and the Midwest & you'll see more Dodges pulling heavy than anything else. That should tell you something......

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
Spend some time in Texas and the Midwest & you'll see more Dodges pulling heavy than anything else. That should tell you something......

Something about Dodges or something about Texans?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ford,then a Dodge, then a Chevy, but please no Rice Burnner's. Run the snot outa a Ford with Toby Keith on the radio.....later

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.