Campfire Outfitter
H
Great job!

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Too Cool! love everything about this post, especially the crab claws.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

fyshbum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone. With all the tresspassing and hunting pressure around here getting any buck over 2 can be a pretty good challenge. I posted a pick of the "Dream" buck in Deer hunting section under "next on the hit list". We get Toads like that one in the area about once every 3-4 years. They are super tough to get under a stand during daylight hours. I have a lot of does in the food plot and have left it completely alone to get the one shot at him.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well I didn't mean to start another flame... but that deer wouldn't ever make a really nice one, so why let him breed.

As to high fences, never been on one but once as a guide... never hunted one. As to feeders, yeah we use em, I use em at home as an ability to not let the deer suffer during stress times. But I rarely if ever hunt a feeder. I hunt travel areas where I can catch them moving from bedding to feeding sources. And still shoot every cull I legally can to help the herd.

I still don't understand whats the deal against culling. As I"ve said if you ran a cattle operation or any livestock operation you certainly wouldnt' keep or let the runts breed. Just doesn't make sense.

And honestly, if our county was a one buck county, I"d still shoot the first cull I saw assuming I hadn't shot a better deer first. Its just the common sense thing to do. How many tags I get etc... doesn't matter. And actually where I hunt I have one buck tag, no doe tags, a spike tag. I rarely if ever shoot spikes unless they are older deer than 18 months.
BTW time wise, I haven't shot a non cull buck in about 4 years at home, and on a lease, I shot one in 2003, and in 2010. I dont' have to kill a buck every year, no big deal, but then we have does to fill the freezer on a friends place that we are allowed to thin the does late in season so that helps. Just can't shoot em at home.

I digress though, maybe I should become PC and just say to everyone, damn nice deer, great job and keep my mouth shut otherwise. Guess we shouldn't toss out opinions any more. Seems thats the way this country is headed anyway with the current administration to boot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One mans cull is another mans trophy. It simply is not kosher to bad mouth another mans wife and kids, his bird dog, or his deer.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
disregard my earlier comments please then. and to the OP accept my apologies. I'll refrain from calling a spade a spade in the future.

Last edited by rost495; 10/28/11.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well done!

Is 172 lbs dressed a good healthy weight in your part of the country? Just curious.

fyshbum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For a three year old, it is about average. He had two to three inches of fat layered under his back. Top weights for a healthy six year old is @ 225-260 dressed. Pretty heavy for Mid Atlantic deer. Not as big as the midwest or north of the border deer, but still a lot to haul uphill!!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well....I recommend shootin' 'em at the top, and dragging them downhill.

No, no, don't thank me.

Thanks for the info. I'd guess that most of the places I've hunted in Canada, healthy 3-year-olds might average 185 to 190 lbs, not as big a difference as I'd expected.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Try hunting somewhere other than Texass for a start.

I'll recommend the Adirondacks.

Get back to us on what's a cull, what's not, and when and why to shoot something there, after a few seasons.

Originally Posted by rost495
well I didn't mean to start another flame... but that deer wouldn't ever make a really nice one, so why let him breed.

As to high fences, never been on one but once as a guide... never hunted one. As to feeders, yeah we use em, I use em at home as an ability to not let the deer suffer during stress times. But I rarely if ever hunt a feeder. I hunt travel areas where I can catch them moving from bedding to feeding sources. And still shoot every cull I legally can to help the herd.

I still don't understand whats the deal against culling. As I"ve said if you ran a cattle operation or any livestock operation you certainly wouldnt' keep or let the runts breed. Just doesn't make sense.

And honestly, if our county was a one buck county, I"d still shoot the first cull I saw assuming I hadn't shot a better deer first. Its just the common sense thing to do. How many tags I get etc... doesn't matter. And actually where I hunt I have one buck tag, no doe tags, a spike tag. I rarely if ever shoot spikes unless they are older deer than 18 months.
BTW time wise, I haven't shot a non cull buck in about 4 years at home, and on a lease, I shot one in 2003, and in 2010. I dont' have to kill a buck every year, no big deal, but then we have does to fill the freezer on a friends place that we are allowed to thin the does late in season so that helps. Just can't shoot em at home.

I digress though, maybe I should become PC and just say to everyone, damn nice deer, great job and keep my mouth shut otherwise. Guess we shouldn't toss out opinions any more. Seems thats the way this country is headed anyway with the current administration to boot.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.