Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I posted some teaser comments in another thread regarding a Browning 1885 I'd had re-barreled to 6.5x55mm. I traded for it late last year when it was then chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. I do not like that chambering; never have, never will. It generates far too much recoil and burns far too much powder for so little in return. I do, however, like the Browning/Winchester 1885 iterations. I also like the idea of having one chambered in a "classic" round, like the 6.5x55mm or 7x57mm. (I already have a half-a-dozen or so Ruger No. 1s, including two in 7x57mm and wanted something a little different from that perspective as well.) I sent this one to McGowen in Montana in January after speaking to them via telephone about whether they would accept the job and getting a rough estimate for the cost.

I'm happy with the end result thus far, but a couple of items stand out as annoyances worth mentioning. McGowen received the rifle with instructions on 1-24-11, but never sent a firm written estimate or in any way communicated with me until a request for payment last week. (I called them three times requesting an estimate over the past nine months.) The cost had risen from "around $600" to $813.51. Again, this is a VERY MINOR annoyance in my mind, but something to keep in mind should you commission them for any work.

It's also worth noting that they performed everything I asked for in my request (chambering, barrel length, contour, crown, removal of frozen scope mounts, drill for new mounts, finish, etc.), so there's not any real reason to bitch.

I asked them to duplicate the original barrel length, contour, and crown and chamber the 6.5x55mm with a 1 in 8" twist. The barrel is simply marked "6.5 X 55 (8)" with no mention of the maker. The timing of the return is such that it may be a little bit before I'm able to shoot it, but the extractor seems to function as it should with dummy rounds.

For those that enjoy 1885s, consider this a tease until a later date.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bricktop, Thanks for the info on your dealings with McGowen. I wish more people would post about their experiences with companies that do gun work for them. It would help a lot of us make good choices when we have to send stuff out for work. The 6.5x55 Swede is a favorite of mine. I have a Lipseys SS/Walnut K1A that I enjoy a lot.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have used the McGowan barrels for quite a few customs with EXCELLENT results. They have always treated me well and never over-charged. I agree it might be nice for better communication from lots of custom makers but bear in mind it takes time to call/write and that is time OUT of the machine shop and longer waits for your finished products. Just my .02! I will always try McGowan for my wants first.
Aloha, Mark

When fear of death is no longer a big deal~~~ the "Rules of War" change dramatically!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bricktop - thanks for posting this. I like the idea of doing the 1885 in 6.5x55, 7x57 or maybe 257 Roberts. I'll be looking for a field report down the road.

Dave

Last edited by OldRooster; 10/19/11.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

Nice looking rifle and an excellent choice of caliber. You get a wider array of comercial rounds and near identical performance to the .260 Browings that now are priced at top dollar -- well over $2400 -- out in inet-land.

The bill does not specify the chamber dimensions. Assume it is standard SAAMI. When I had my #1 Swede built, I wanted it to be on the tight side of the generous allowances in the SAAMI range to optimize use of sleaker 120-140 gr modern bullets rather than the heavier RNs regulary used in the old military bores.

The Browning probably will not need the fiddling that many #1s do to shoot reliable tight groups.

1B

IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

Nice looking rifle and an excellent choice of caliber. You get a wider array of comercial rounds and near identical performance to the .260 Browings that now are priced at top dollar -- well over $2400 -- out in inet-land.

The bill does not specify the chamber dimensions. Assume it is standard SAAMI. When I had my #1 Swede built, I wanted it to be on the tight side of the generous allowances in the SAAMI range to optimize use of sleaker 120-140 gr modern bullets rather than the heavier RNs regulary used in the old military bores.

The Browning probably will not need the fiddling that many #1s do to shoot reliable tight groups.

1B

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bricktop
It's also worth noting that they performed everything I asked for in my request (chambering, barrel length, contour, crown, removal of frozen scope mounts, drill for new mounts, finish, etc.), so there's not any real reason to bitch.

Consider yourself fortunate in that regard. If the work had not been performed satisfactorily, then the communication issues would really become a problem. Sadly, I have had that experience more than once. Apparently in these days of electronic communication, stonewalling seems to be a normal business practice for some, especially when the customer is less than happy.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BT-Well done!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MP40
I have used the McGowan barrels for quite a few customs with EXCELLENT results. They have always treated me well and never over-charged. I agree it might be nice for better communication from lots of custom makers but bear in mind it takes time to call/write and that is time OUT of the machine shop and longer waits for your finished products. Just my .02! I will always try McGowan for my wants first.
Aloha, Mark
I wanted to be fair in my comments. They absolutely did everything I asked of them and I have zero complaints in that regard. However, I like structure and well-defined goals, plans, boundaries, budgets, etc. And, yes, I know that any time they spend writing or calling is time they're not working on someone's rifle. Except they're in a service provider business and I don't think it's unreasonable to send out an estimate early on in the process. Again, this is all very minor in the grander scheme of things and based on my initial experience, I wouldn't have a problem having them re-barrel another rifle nor would I have any problem recommending them to anyone else.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Consider yourself fortunate in that regard. If the work had not been performed satisfactorily, then the communication issues would really become a problem. Sadly, I have had that experience more than once. Apparently in these days of electronic communication, stonewalling seems to be a normal business practice for some, especially when the customer is less than happy.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Paul
I absolutely agree. If the cost had gone well beyond the "around $600" or the work had turned out poorly, there would be huge recriminations. However, everything worked out, but their casual approach to communications is something to be aware of when dealing with them so that you can plan accordingly.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Exactly. While I understand the "time is money" reasoning, I don't buy it completely. With modern communication like e-mail, there is no good excuse for not initiating reasonable contacts with customers. Time has always been money, but I have in my files correspondence from decades ago from gunsmiths and companies, running a full page or more of hand typing, and even hand written.

More to the point, hassles can be avoided and time saved by clear, concise, and timely communication up front. A professional work order before the work is begun comes to mind.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a strong preference for the same sense of order, structure, budget, etc., with a project and understand that. The rifle looks great and the 8 twist was the way to go IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the report.3 un- returned phone calls in 9 months? Beautiful rifle.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
Thanks for the report.3 un- returned phone calls in 9 months? Beautiful rifle.
No, they answered the phone and they were very courteous and professional in all of my contact with them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39
Exactly. While I understand the "time is money" reasoning, I don't buy it completely. With modern communication like e-mail, there is no good excuse for not initiating reasonable contacts with customers. Time has always been money, but I have in my files correspondence from decades ago from gunsmiths and companies, running a full page or more of hand typing, and even hand written.

More to the point, hassles can be avoided and time saved by clear, concise, and timely communication up front. A professional work order before the work is begun comes to mind.

Paul
Why not build whatever time they think they'll spend writing an estimate into the cost? If you really wanted to take it a step further, there're statistical models that can fairly accurately predict the amount of time spent dealing with each customer.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Yes, it's standard SAAMI, I just verified.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Very nice!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
1885's are simply exquisite. No other rifle matches its slimline appearance. I have one in 300 WSM. Heavy they are & that is why I don't pack it around to hunt with. I sure do admire it on a regualr basis though.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Heavy they are & that is why I don't pack it around to hunt with.
If I was doing a bunch of walking with one, I'd probably not have been as eager to spend the money to re-barrel this. I placed mine on a postal scale this morning, along with the bases, rings, and sling and it weighed in at 9.0 pounds. shocked A Leupold VX-II 3x9 40mm will add another 12 ounces to that. It is, however, well-balanced. crazy

For comparison, I also weighed my Ruger 1B in .257 Roberts with a VX-II 3x9 40mm. This one came in at just a shade over 9 pounds (somewhere between 9.0 and 9.25 pounds).

Right now I'm waiting on new rings before I mount a scope, but I still think it'll be closer to another month before I get it to the range.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Balance in carrying, pointing, and carrying is far more important to me in still hunting than is absolute weight. I'm pushing 70 with some non-trivial health issues, but I can lug a 1B all day in the crook of my left arm while actively hunting and over my shoulder while just covering ground. It swings into battery so slickly it is just like pointing my finger. Lighter still than my M1 was ...

1B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,531
Posts18,530,926
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.