Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jim62
All of the purely NOSTALGIC pre 64 drivel is pretty funny considering the LAST custom rifle O'Connor commissioned before his death was a .280 RUGER m77.

So much for the superiority of the pre-64 Winchester- even in Mr O'Connor's eyes..

Jim, the 280 Ruger was a gift from Bill Ruger.....as you know, he and JOC were fast old friends. I doubt JOC was gonna turn it down. He sent it to Biesen to be remodeled and stocked....he died before it was finished.

My humble apologies for the drivel and the nostalgia..... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
HR IC

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ringworm: I am pretty sure he would look into the Dakota Model 76 Alpine Deluxe in caliber 270 Winchester.
This pre-64 Model 70 clone is available with case hardening and a host of custom deluxe features as options - the wood stock is beautiful and familiar.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jim62.

What you say is true. However, you must remember that at the time he commissioned the custom Ruger, the Winchester Model 70 was a push-feed rifle with little to commend it. I suspect that Jack would develop a fondness for the currently made Classic Model 70.

TT

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...the LAST custom rifle O'Connor commissioned before his death was a .280 RUGER m77...

Jim, the 280 Ruger was a gift from Bill Ruger...he died before it was finished...

He HAD to accept it because it was a gift. And he wouldn't have done it except for being old, senile and near death, anyway. eek

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RD: Well, there's at least one in every camp I hunt in... grin

Touch�.....

EWR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M70 super grade in .270 Winchester of course.

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think I couldn't give a [bleep] less what Jack O would use. Didn't care then either.

+1 on Steelhead's post

Coudlnt give a toss to what JOC used then or now.....

I would like to think how many head of game the old military surplus rifles have shot over the years...................just goes to prove you dont need some fancy rifle or some gun writer flying the flag of some rifle manufacturer to shoot game!!!

Gus

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I don't see many threads on here entitled..."Problems With My Pre 64 M70". sick

I hope not, they've had almost 50 years to get them fixed! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMAO.....good one !

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All of the purely NOSTALGIC pre 64 drivel is pretty funny considering the LAST custom rifle O'Connor commissioned before his death was a .280 RUGER m77.

So much for the superiority of the pre-64 Winchester- even in Mr O'Connor's eyes..

Jim, the 280 Ruger was a gift from Bill Ruger.....as you know, he and JOC were fast old friends. I doubt JOC was gonna turn it down. He sent it to Biesen to be remodeled and stocked....he died before it was finished.

My humble apologies for the drivel and the nostalgia..... wink

And how many Winchester m70s did Winchester GIVE O'Connor in the 1950s free of charge?

I bet EVERY one of them.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tsquare
jim62.

What you say is true. However, you must remember that at the time he commissioned the custom Ruger, the Winchester Model 70 was a push-feed rifle with little to commend it. I suspect that Jack would develop a fondness for the currently made Classic Model 70.

TT

Tom.

Please do not mistake my posts here.

The "Koolaid" drinkers I refer to are the "pre 64 m70s "or bust crowd".

I have no issues with any of the Current M70s.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If Jack O'Connor was rifle shopping today he'd be not quite 110 years old, and would probably want something a little lighter than an 8-pound .270.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Truthfully, to Bob and everyone else here..

I believe if O'Connor was alive right now, he would -

1) be astounded by all the high quality, lightweight and accurate bolt guns available today.

2) Probably choose a French Walnut stocked Select grade Kimber m84L with French walnut in..

.270 Winchester because with today's bullets its even better than it was in his hey day.

Besides, I think he would continue to shoot the .270 just to annoy the 7mm sluts..

Last edited by jim62; 11/15/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If Jack O'Connor was rifle shopping today he'd be not quite 110 years old, and would probably want something a little lighter than an 8-pound .270.

Goof-ball... tired

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

And how many Winchester m70s did Winchester GIVE O'Connor in the 1950s free of charge?

I bet EVERY one of them.

You lose again.....I have no idea how many Winchester gave him.Call Winchester and find out....but his second favorite 270 #2 was purchased new from Erb Hardware in Lewiston, Idaho in 1959;sent to Al Biesen to be reworked and restocked.Feel free to look it up.He wrote of this more than once.

This thread was not about how you feel about Pre 64 M70 fans (Pre 64 or Bust)You can start your own thread on that subject if you care to.......it was about every one's guess as to what he would choose today.Your guess is as good as mine.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tikka T3

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=BobinNH]

This thread was not about how you feel about Pre 64 M70 fans (Pre 64 or Bust)You can start your own thread on that subject if you care to.......it was about every one's guess as to what he would choose today.Your guess is as good as mine.

/quote]

OK, Mr self anointed Thread Moderator... wink

Please see my previous post above.

And you are right about one thing, my guess IS every bit as good as yours. laugh

Last edited by jim62; 11/15/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One thing for certain, his writings are responsible for the survival of the .270 Winchester. The Mod 70 may, or may not, have made it without him.

Here's a typical Jack O'Connor passage, probably the one he is most famous for...

"When the rifle cracked, the buck turned over clear over in the air, and hit like a bag of potatoes.

"Whoopee!" said Zefarino. "That's the kind of rifle I like, one that has power. One shot and the buck doesn't move. How do you call it?"

"The .270," I said.

"The same one you shoot the ram with, no?"

"The same."

"With the .30 you shot a buck and it ran. Then the smaller boy shoots a buck with the .25 and it ran. Now the large boy shoots a buck with this rifle and it is dead in its tracks. How good a rifle, this .270!"

"It shoots a good ball," I said, "--a very fast ball."

"Like the lightning!" said Zefarino."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Compelling ain't it...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.