Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget, he's rich.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel--Nice rack!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Beating $20 you didn't wear jeans up an Alaskan goat mountain, but then why would folks use second tier [bleep].

And some people get by driving little girly man foreign outfits!

I would imagine using whatever works for you might be the way to go!

Don't you have a baby shower or something to attend....grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
But you are right, jeans on a mountain side probably would be a poor idea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Odessa
He'd shop around for a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 WIN.....

He might try all kinds of things,but this is what he would hunt with.....and since they are still around,he'd have Al and Roger Biesen remodel the FW to his specs.

He would do this because he used such rifles and the 270 Winchester successfully on several continents; on African plains game,moose,elk, grizzly,sheep (how many Grand Slams?)

He'd write about all the new cartridges (just the same way he wrote up the 7mm Rem Mag,300Win Mag,300 Weatherby, 338, etc),and might hunt with some of them.But I think he'd stay pretty close to time proven classics like the 270, 280,7x57,and 30/06.

You know it.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thinking he would not be tied into one rifle as much as he was in the past. Times, advertising pressures and the audience has changed considerably since his day.

If he wanted to make a go of it, he would probably have to adapt.

However, somehow I just can't imagine him pictured on a mountain side with a scope that weighs more than 3/4lb.

laissez les bons temps rouler
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be honest, i doubt he'd be spending much time getting excited over the rifles. He would comment they were generally significantly more accurate. What would really be getting him excited would be the advances in bullets and optics.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This probably won't answer the question but here is what O'Connor wrote in the 1978 edition of The Rifle Book, the year he died:

"I am an old man and most of my big game hunting is behind me, but often I am tempted to order a Ruger barreled action in some such caliber as .25/06, .270 or 7mm Magnum, have Al Biesen or Jerry Fisher stock it in good French walnut, and then dash off into the wild blue yonder and knock off a ram or grizzly."

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jlin222
..."I am an old man and most of my big game hunting is behind me, but often I am tempted to order a Ruger barreled action in some such caliber as .25/06, .270 or 7mm Magnum, have Al Biesen or Jerry Fisher stock it in good French walnut, and then dash off into the wild blue yonder and knock off a ram or grizzly."

Alzheimers is really a biotch. sick

Last edited by pal; 11/15/11.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some may think we have it better, however I would give up the supposedly better rifles of today for the hunting he had.

30plus day trips into the back country for multiple animals. Moose, Sheep, Bear, Mt. Goats, Deer and more of them than most today can imagine. 30in Mule Deer were commonplace back in the 50s and early 60s. No complicated and restrictive drawing for tags. Private landowners that mostly welcomed one to hunt.

I'd trade that for any rifle, bullet and scope made today. Jack was right were he should of been. Doubt if he would trade it for what we have today.

Last edited by battue; 11/15/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dhg
To be honest, i doubt he'd be spending much time getting excited over the rifles. He would comment they were generally significantly more accurate. What would really be getting him excited would be the advances in bullets and optics.

I highly doubt that...He'd probaly whip out some pics from his photobucket acct showing how good his pre 64 model 70's shoot with good ol bullets like the nosler partition and make guys like you who have no clue stop and think about what you just said:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure which rifle ... but surely it would be chambered in 7-08 ... its far mo'better than a 270 smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AND yes ... I called you surely smile smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe we can convert him to the 7x57...........................

Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dhg

I highly doubt that...He'd probaly whip out some pics from his photobucket acct showing how good his pre 64 model 70's shoot with good ol bullets like the nosler partition and make guys like you who have no clue stop and think about what you just said:

[Linked Image]

Hey BSA .....you missed the orange dot..........thats no good my friend..........Haha!!

Gus

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dhg

[Linked Image]

Hey BSA .....you missed the orange dot..........thats no good my friend..........Haha!!

Gus

Hey good ol buddy, look at the second target grin. Just fixed the other post for you. That was the first group I shot with my old standard weight model 70 (made in 1951) 30-06. It was wearing its original stock with metal butt plate and also had a vintage (old) redfield 3-9x40 scope on it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Although I could see him sneaking off while no one was looking and using something like my extreme weather model 70 30-06:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And again this is with old style bullets whistle. Gus, I hit the orange that time grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
What would he buy? Caliber? optics?

Im going to say A Kimber 84 select. 338Federal. 2.5-8x36 VX3 in talleys. Turner sadlle sling and 210's zero'd for 150.

My guess: A Model 70 in 270 Win., 06', or 7RM, topped with a 3.5x10 Leupold with a BC reticle.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Some may think we have it better, however I would give up the supposedly better rifles of today for the hunting he had.

30plus day trips into the back country for multiple animals. Moose, Sheep, Bear, Mt. Goats, Deer and more of them than most today can imagine. 30in Mule Deer were commonplace back in the 50s and early 60s. No complicated and restrictive drawing for tags. Private landowners that mostly welcomed one to hunt.

I'd trade that for any rifle, bullet and scope made today. Jack was right were he should of been. Doubt if he would trade it for what we have today.

Amen.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Maybe we can convert him to the 7x57...........................

Gus

Everything I've read stated that he was a fan of the 7x57. He took delivery of the very last pre-64 7x57 to come out of the Winchester factory.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 204guy, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,246
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.