Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Beating $20 you didn't wear jeans up an Alaskan goat mountain, but then why would folks use second tier [bleep].

Of course it's funny when I tourist proclaims that something worked great for a week in the tundra.

I seem to recall someone getting stupid wet in another tourist visit. Try living in that [bleep] day in and day out, carrying a rifle day in and day out. Taking a rifle in and out of skiffs, rivers, canoes, ATV's.

Most things can work for a short while, most but not all.

The best thing about you is that you are not the least bit opinionated...

Hell, all I'm curious about is what wood stocked beauty did you lug up a goat mountain in Alaska. Not a tough question and I even typed slow for you.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
hell, im curious why a guy who says he couldnt give a chit what jack would bought then or now , keeps coming back to the thread and posting?
looking for some attention?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm wondering why you ever came back to the fire also Cohiba

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since he wasn't gay, I doubt he'd choose the 7mm-08.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]
And again this is with old style bullets whistle. Gus, I hit the orange that time grin

the black ones are much easier to see.
I dont take pics of many target or keep many other than my coldbore target(s) but this one i did tuck away in the logbook...
the last shot was a called pull. I never can get that 5th one in. nerves I guess.
I would hate to advertise what kind of rifle it was, lets just say it has a .308 20" BBL and a 4 round mag. And says "MADE IN AUSTRIA" someplace on it. but as a production rifle shooting .36" groups with soft points, i'll take it.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hell, all I'm curious about is what wood stocked beauty did you lug up a goat mountain in Alaska. Not a tough question and I even typed slow for you.

After 9 years of being between Flippant and Glib, all you have to show for it is 50,000 posts at about 5600/year. It is clear most of your time is at a keyboard and not hunting. The most you ever shoot is your mouth, why don't you give it a rest???

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]
And again this is with old style bullets whistle. Gus, I hit the orange that time grin

the black ones are much easier to see.
I dont take pics of many target or keep many other than my coldbore target(s) but this one i did tuck away in the logbook...
the last shot was a called pull. I never can get that 5th one in. nerves I guess.
I would hate to advertise what kind of rifle it was, lets just say it has a .308 20" BBL and a 4 round mag. And says "MADE IN AUSTRIA" someplace on it. but as a production rifle shooting .36" groups with soft points, i'll take it.
[Linked Image]

ALL my rifles shoot tiny groups...as long as I can ignore all the flyers I don't like. grin

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
counting the flyer i think thats not to bad. thats an outside measurment written on there. not CTC.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700

You did own one in the past ... didn't you?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Swampman700

You did own one in the past ... didn't you?

I recall an episode where Swampy had to shoot a dink multiple times with a 7mm-08 and seems like he had to finally beat that poor critter to death with the gun. Doesn't sound like it was a pretty scene.

With that horror story, a statistical sampling of one, he concluded that the 7mm-08 was incapable of killing deer. That forever changed the profile of that caliber on the Fire. I even got rid of the one I had.

DF

IC B3

M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Given Jack's proclivity towards fine rifles he might well have gotten a new CRF Model 70 action or maybe a granite mountain action and had the David Miller Co barrel and stock it (cold rust blue and fine walnut. The cartridge?.....270 of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He'd go to Wal-Mart and buy a 770.

grin

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
270? doubtful.
I think he would have continued the woods rifle but built it on a short action. since the 308 wasnt around till 52 (the year he left OL) he designed it on the common action and brass of the 8x57.
I think he would have been very happy with the 338 federal.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack was a sheep hunter. While he liked to hunt a lot of different stuff and did, sheep hunting was his passion. He liked rifles that were light in weight and shot flat. In his day, a light weight mountain rifle was something weighing no more than 8 pounds � he mentions that specifically in one of his books. He did like speed, the faster it shot the flatter it flew which made range estimation out to 300 or thereabouts not so tricky. However he did not particularly like rifles that kicked hard, so a fast, flat shooting, relatively light recoiling .270 was a natural for him.

So whatever he got it today, it would be light weight, fast and flat but not some hypervelocity Ultra magnum which would knock the snot out of you. Likely candidates would be a ULA or NULA , maybe a Kimber classic. He was one of the original proponents of �it�s where you hit�em, not what you hit�em with�, he wrote an article so titled in a Gun Digest of some years ago. Combine light recoil and flat shooting and he may have loved the new TSX�s and being able to go down some in weight to fly faster but kick even less.

He wasn�t really around when synthetics began to be widespread so we can�t really say if he�d hate them or appreciate their qualities of light weight and strength. He might have a Model 70 Featherweight in a Borden Rimrock stock. The original Jim Cloward design is basically a copy of Biesen�s stock design, so Jack would feel right at home handling it.

He�d probably carry a range finder but I don�t know if he'd twist turrets or not. He liked to place his bullets precisely so that could go either way. He wasn�t a big fan of high power scopes or fancy doodads, he valued reliability up in those steep mountains. Even at long range he figured a good 4X was good enough. He might gravitate to an FX II 6X, though.

Combine all of that:
NULA in .284 with 120 TSX
M70 Fwt in a Borden stock in .270 shooting 110 TSX (although he shot a 130 Partition so long he�d likely just as soon keep using that). He might even like a .270 WSM or a 7mm WSM with 120�s.
Kimber 84 or 84L, the former in 7-08, the latter in .270 or .280 AI.

I know he�d appreciate the practical advances that have been made and would eschew any of the foo foo stuff. He�d probably still accommodate you graciously at his home but tell you to piss off if you bothered him much at a gun show.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John - if that be the case (Walmart & M770 for JOC) that would mean his old "buddy" Elmer would want a Barrett .50BMG. After all, Elmer NEVER wanted to be under-gunned...and JOC would learn what LMFAO meant! Homesteader.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I think he would have been very happy with the 338 federal.

Really doubt that. As Idaho Jim said, JOC liked flat-shooting, high speed cartridges. Regarding synthetic stocks, perhaps like a lot of older guys, he valued traditional wood and blued steel.

OT--BTW, I was recently tempted by a gorgeous model 52 Steyr in a local shop. What stopped me was the steep rake of the Monte Carlo comb which looked like it could give a pretty good bruise. Any thoughts on that?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jack would do exactly what he did in 1950. He would buy a Winchester M70 have the barrel turned down or rebarreled and dropped in a nice piece of walnut by one of todays's best makers.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I even got rid of the one I had.

DF

Smarter than I thought......

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A lot has been made about Jack shooting a 270. So much so I think the name should be changed to the 270 O'Connor. The fact is he used a lot of different calibers, including a 458. He also liked the 7X57 for some game. I bet he would do the same today.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
What would he buy? Caliber? optics?

Probably something similar to this. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.