What's the story on it?

DF

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Homesteader
John - if that be the case (Walmart & M770 for JOC) that would mean his old "buddy" Elmer would want a Barrett .50BMG. After all, Elmer NEVER wanted to be under-gunned...and JOC would learn what LMFAO meant! Homesteader.

That's pretty funny chit right there.. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
JOC became a hunting icon based on his writings on the Winchester Model 70 and the .270WCF. I don't see him changing that because it would alter his previous statements and therefor make him a little hypocritical. If he still had his "column" he would review new stuff, state their advantages and disadvantages and let the reader form their own opinion. In the last 35 years there has been a lot of new things to hit the market. But then again, the more things change, the they stay the same.

One might ask, what are the ten most important advancements or changes in the shooting/hunting world in the last 40 years? In fact I'll start a new thread.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice one, Larry.

What's the story on it?

DF

I want to know too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
JOC became a hunting icon based on his writings on the Winchester Model 70 and the .270WCF. I don't see him changing that because it would alter his previous statements and therefor make him a little hypocritical. If he still had his "column" he would review new stuff, state their advantages and disadvantages and let the reader form their own opinion. In the last 35 years there has been a lot of new things to hit the market. But then again, the more things change, the they stay the same.

One might ask, what are the ten most important advancements or changes in the shooting/hunting world in the last 40 years? In fact I'll start a new thread.

Looking forward to seeing that..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm jealous of Larry, one of the lucky that has actually handled one of JOC's 270's. That looks like No. 2 but I could be mistaken. Thanks for the pics...a lot of stories to be told by the usage shown on that beauty.

Last edited by 32_20fan; 11/16/11.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
I'm jealous of Larry, one of the lucky that has actually handled one JOC's 270's. That looks like No. 2 but I could be mistaken. Thanks for the pics...a lot of stories to be told by the usage shown on that beauty.

Sure is a big grin on his face, holding that rifle, like he knows something we don't.

From the wear on the Leupold and rings, that gun has been used a good bit. Sure is a nice one.

You don't think he'd taunt us and not come clean with the "rest of the story", do you??

DF

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Nice one, Larry.

What's the story on it?

DF

That is Jack's personal 270. Yes it was #2.

These pictures were taken at the gunmaker's guild gathering in Reno, NV a few years ago.

His son Brad has it now. He has posted other pictures of it on the forum before.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Idared
Nice one, Larry.

What's the story on it?

DF

That is Jack's personal 270. Yes it was #2.

These pictures were taken at the gunmaker's guild gathering in Reno, NV a few years ago.

His son Brad has it now. He has posted other pictures of it on the forum before.

Well, I guess that explains that wall to wall grin on your face.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
He sure as hell wouldn't pick Swampy's favorite 700!!!

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Well, I guess that explains that wall to wall grin on your face.

DF

Actually that's the way I look most of the time. Folks use to hate to play poker with me because I almost always had that sort of look. smile

But, I will have to admit it is a very nice rifle and I was very happy to be able to look it over as well as I could. smile

Larry
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
What would he buy? Caliber? optics?

Im going to say A Kimber 84 select. 338Federal. 2.5-8x36 VX3 in talleys. Turner sadlle sling and 210's zero'd for 150.

A Ruger, 35 Whelen, Leupold

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just checked in Robert Anderson's book on JOC. This is the Al Biesen Featherwt M-70, #423509, that Jack bought in 1959 from Erb Hdw. in Lewiston and sent to Al for restocking and other refinements. The trap buttplate was engraved with a ram and the grip cap, a moose head. The scope was a Leupy Mountaineer 4X in Buehler mts, the rig weighing 8#'s. It was Jack's favorite and took mult game in Botswana, Spain, Iran, Scotland , B.C., Idaho, Wyoming and Monana. It was the last rifle he hunted with.

You were holding a whole bunch of shooting history.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Although I could see him sneaking off while no one was looking and using something like my extreme weather model 70 30-06:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And again this is with old style bullets whistle. Gus, I hit the orange that time grin

That's more like it mate!!!

For me to hit the orange dot at 100 metres it has to be the size of an orange!! My eyyes aint what they used to be - even through a 9x scope!!!

Gus

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
He sure as hell wouldn't pick Swampy's favorite 700!!!

That for sure.

If Jack came back from the grave, he'd get ole #2 from Brad and put it back to use.

It took him a lifetime of gun development to end up with that one and it suited him perfectly. It would be hard to improve on perfection.

IMHO,

DF

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I just checked in Robert Anderson's book on JOC. This is the Al Biesen Featherwt M-70, #423509, that Jack bought in 1959 from Erb Hdw. in Lewiston and sent to Al for restocking and other refinements. The trap buttplate was engraved with a ram and the grip cap, a moose head. The scope was a Leupy Mountaineer 4X in Buehler mts, the rig weighing 8#'s. It was Jack's favorite and took mult game in Botswana, Spain, Iran, Scotland , B.C., Idaho, Wyoming and Monana. It was the last rifle he hunted with.

You were holding a whole bunch of shooting history.

DF

I know that Tom Turpin who posts here as tsquare has much better pictures of this rifle than I do. Maybe he will post them along with other rifles of Jack's. Somehow I doubt Jack would change much of what he would use if he was still with us today.

Larry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The question was what would JOC choose? I believe that would be a new FN Model 70 in .270 Winchester which is a much better rifle than anything Winchester ever produced in the past. The new Remington 700s are still the most accurate production rifles in the world. That is unlikely to change.

The new FN rifles are not better, why do you make such uniformed statements. I am inclined to believe you are an imbecile.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ULA24
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The question was what would JOC choose? I believe that would be a new FN Model 70 in .270 Winchester which is a much better rifle than anything Winchester ever produced in the past. The new Remington 700s are still the most accurate production rifles in the world. That is unlikely to change.

The new FN rifles are not better, why do you make such uniformed statements. I am inclined to believe you are an imbecile.

Imbecile?

Maybe a Troll?

He's special, no doubt.

Just not sure of the diagnosis.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Larry,

Congrats on holding history.

Jack would not have used anything but a wood stock. What many of us have come to think as "in vogue" would have turned Jack's stomach of given hi an acute case of the vapors!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He would have flipped out at what we call "custom" rifles today.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,521
Posts18,509,659
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.