Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Would like to hunt elk & deer in the west. Should I go there and hunt public land, or hunt on private land? Comments that I have read lead me to think that if I could find a private land owner that would allow a reasonable fee, that is where I should go.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions on a place to go, that is reasonable.

Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you want to hunt elk? or shoot elk? There are a lot of cow tags with a fair chance you will go home with elk meat if you hunt hard, Is that something you have intrest in? There are general season elk tags you can buy for bulls, but odds are low that you will get one. With the draw system in place for premium tags it might take many years to draw a tag. In oregon you can buy over the counter nonresident cascade bull elk and blacktail tags. If you are an experienced elk/deer hunter with lots of drive and energy, odds might be 20-25% that you will see a bull or buck.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Diddo with Colorado, lots of leftover over the counter cow tags, and areas that you can hunt cow and bull at the same time or get an Either sex tag. But takes good amount drive to actually hike and pack or drag an elk on public land if you don't have horses. That is where a private ranch or outfitter will help you the most. But if you are fit and able and want A DIY public land you can save a bundle.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Depends on what you consider a reasonable fee. My guess it would be $2K+ just for trespass if you found one. Most Private land owners in CO either outfit/guide themselves or lease to an outfitter and you are talking $4k + then.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Try to draw a tag in Utah, AZ or NM. If that fails, buy a landowner tag in NM. Public land in CO is not a good option for a first time elk hunter. Success rates are like single digit.

Anything other than a do-it-yourself public land hunt is probably going to cost you $3k and up. You can buy a management bull tag on some indian reservations for less than a grand but you will have to shoot a raghorn or spike. Sometimes you only see 5 points and 6x6s when looking for dinks.

There are lots of options.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been to Wyoming 5 times and have brought back elk every trip, and filled every tag every trip. Mostly cows but a couple of bulls. All public land with research on the net.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
3rd time I posted this on my stupid phone... Average on MT public land, no horses etc, for the past 20 years. I get a shot at a good branch antlered 5 or 6 point once every 10 hunting days.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Try and draw a non-resident tag.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you all for your input.

To Dennisinaz, what state do you recommend for good success on a non resident tag. Anybody els's input on this is greatly appreciated.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The question can be very complicated.

Every state has different regulations and different ways of managing their elk hunting.

Most of the �units� or areas I have hunted elk in are 500 to 1,000 square miles in size.
There can be anywhere from a few hundred to 10,000 elk in each unit.
There can be anywhere from a dozen other hunters to several thousand other hunters, and many of them bring a bunch of people with them to help find the elk.

If you do your research, you can find a great public land hunt.

The better the �hunt� or opportunity, the harder it will be to get your hands on the tag.
The way to get around this, without spending a fortune is to build up �points�.
Several states have programs where every time you apply, and don�t draw a tag you get a �Point� that weighs the odds more in your favor next time.
Be advised that the very best tags can take decades (not years, but 20+ years) to draw the tags.

To hunt elk next year, look at New Mexico (no points system), Colorado & Idaho ( many areas you can buy a tag over the counter).
Planning a hunt in the next two to five years, look at Wyoming, Montana and Colorado, and start building points.
If you are willing to commit to a ten year program, Utah and Arizona.
If you are willing to spend a hundred bucks a year to get a good education on this whole system, subscribe to �The Huntin Fool�.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I applied for and received either sex tags in Colorado the last two seasons I hunted there. It is only for first season in the area I hunt but there are advantages. The weather is good and the elk haven't been pushed around and shot at much. If you don't find a bull you can kill a cow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 32 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,836
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.