Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I put a sporter weight 308 on on M7, cut it to 21" and it's now a shooting SOB. It's still a PIA when it comes to feeding.

Steely - how does that rifle handle with the new barrel? Currently the 18.5" pencil makes a great carrying rifle. I'm also concerned that I'm gonna have to hog out a bunch of plastic to get the barrel floated.

My feeding issues went away when I got the synthetic stock. Dunno why.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know, but if you figure it out let us know. I had a Remington Model 7 SS/Synthetic in .260. I tried hard to get that sucker to shoot. Scopes, rings handloads, and floating barrel. then I gave up and sold it. With as much as I paid for that gun, $700 (new), I expected it to shoot. My groups looked more like shotgun patterns. I don't mind a little tinkering, but if I have to bed, recrown, replace the trigger and replace the stock, I have to figure that into the price. I found my money to be better spent elsewhere. Others here seem to have had good luck with them. I would say they need trigger work and my synthetic stock was a heavy piece of crap made from reground plastic. At the time, stock and trigger options were few, probably now more, but they still cost $$. Haven't bought a Remington product since, and don't plan to in the future unless something changes. YMMV

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like it much, always thought the original form was too barrel light.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put a sporter weight 308 on on M7, cut it to 21" and it's now a shooting SOB. It's still a PIA when it comes to feeding.

Now that's the deal, kind of like my 700 Youth (20" wish it was 21") with a Ti wrappped around it. One of the bestest handling rigs I've ever owned. And, it even feeds well enough for me.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/25/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Are you guys shooting the 120 grain Fusions or 140's?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
Could be barrel heating up was an issue. I allowed anywhere from 6 to 10 minutes between shots and the temperature was in the low 40's. Knew it probably wasn't enough time.

Are you kidding me, 6-10 Mins between shots and you dont think that was enough time, that barrel shouldve been stone cold in 3 with temps in the low 40s, mine are.
I got 2 groups like that at 300yds with my new 308SPSS, that was using lapua brass & 178HPBTs, Win brass never shot groups like that, barrel never got past being warm. Only thing I can figure out is the Lapua braas is allowing higher pressure since it holds less powder.
Is this the only group you shot with the Superformance?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you guys shooting the 120 grain Fusions or 140's?

I load 40.5-41.5grsgrs varget(friends rifles) with 139 Hornadys, shoots great groups.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Nope not kiddin' ya. Nope I have another group I can post up, but I made scope adjustments on that target.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
always thought the original form was too barrel light.

Same here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope not kiddin' ya. Nope I have another group I can post up, but I made scope adjustments on that target.

Does it look the same?

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Not quite, but I made scope adjustments. I'll post it up in just a minute. It's a new style Model Seven with the 20" barrel if that makes a difference.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Here is the other target I shot. This was about a week before with the same Superformance ammo and this target had scope adjustments during the group.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So it looks like this? Its not freefloated, right, that might help if its NOT a skinny barrel, skinny barrels usually like some pressure, bedding is a waste of time, INMO.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whats the scope you have mounted to it? Youre mounts are secure and all that, correct?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try some plain ol' Remington Green box Core-Loc's,they shoot way better for me than Fusions,then suspect the rifle,scope and the fact it's a Remington

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rifle
Try some plain ol' Remington Green box Core-Loc's,they shoot way better for me than Fusions,then suspect the rifle,scope and the fact it's a Remington

Dont tell him to use that crap Remington ammo, 40.5grs varget or RE15 under 139Hornnady SPs are the ticket, course now Im not sure if he reloads, EEK!! In that case Id get some Win premiums loaded with 140NBTs. If they dont shoot nothing will.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Yep, looks just like that except the open sights are still installed. No I don't reload. The screw on the bases have blue loc tite on them and the rings are all tight. It's a Simmons Prohunter 2-7X32. Came on the gun. Probably time for an upgrade. Its in Leupold rings and bases. I have an extra set of Warne rings I could put on instead, but I would have to get some weaver style bases.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by whelenndealin; 11/25/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been fighting with a remington model 7 youth since they first came out. A 243. It is better since i bedded it and free floated the barrel. It is a under 2" 100yrd gun now. Before it was bedded and free floated it was a over 2 1/2" 100yrd rifle. The best it ever shot was with 100gr remington coreloc ammo. Trigger is good, scope is good, mounts are good. I honestly think remington just put junk barrels on some model 7 rifles. Rebarreling it is on my to do list

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The model 7s I reload for are the stainless/synthetic models and nephews blued/walnut version, both parties tell me the accuracy with the 139s is outstanding, the stainless version shoots 1/2MOA(3 shots)out to 100yds anyways. Those Superformance rounds are pretty hot loads as far as velocity goes anyways, maybe theyre just too damn fast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baltz526
I honestly think remington just put junk barrels on some model 7 rifles.

Could be. But I think it might be more likely a junk job of putting the rifle components together. Seems to me that it hasn't been unusual to see 7/700s which only bear on one lug. Sometimes these rifles shoot very well when they're not loaded to the gills, presumably because high pressure loads tend to cause more flex in parts which don't fit quite as they should. But it could also be the barrels. I think the light, wispy barrels take more care to produce well. Mass production may not do quite as well as the lower volume custom barrel makers can. Then again, Remington seem to have a pretty good track record with their Mountain Rifles, and those barrels are svelte.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (02bfishn, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 16,357 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,202
Posts18,543,596
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.